main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 303: Supply Lines Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I don't know about nimitiz class, but we have sold warships to other countries before, plus the scale of things is different.

Course, selling weapons to a rebel group is treason and is its own can of worms.....

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    That was Greedo the elder, Greedo's father. Not the Greedo from ANH. :p

3. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    Idiot savant, as the old politically incorrect phrase goes?

4. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    But that doesn't work. It's not a case of him being dumb, but amazingly dextrous. No, I'm talking scrictly hand-eye coordination here, which until now it seemed Jar Jar had none (dropping things in Watto's shop, dropping wrench in podracer, falling over with energy ball, tumbling over pirate tank, getting foot caught when jumping down window on Naboo, etc). He's always been portrayed as terminally clumsy. So how is he suddenly able to perform the most amazingly precise balancing act with those plates and cups?

5. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    yeah but didn't the preview say something like "yeah.... that Greedo" meaning the Greedo we know.
    By the way i hate the fact that they make him speak basic. The dumb. I hated when Bossk (spelling?) spoke basic too, but at least he only spoke like one line in ESB. Greedo flat out didn't speak it. (i know Han was speaking it and Greedo was responding to it so obvously he understands that language.

6. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Let's try to keep the discussion of the next episode preview to the general thread, ok?

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I agree, Gry. I haven't seen this episode yet, so I might watch it. Don't know yet.

8. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    But as a bounty hunter would it not make sense for him to speak both languages anyways?

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that episode was decent- though I also had that annoying echo sound problem (non-HD on FIOS). I thought it was amusing that everyone had an echo except the people talking via hologram- the ones who are SUPPOSED to have echoes, ha!

Also, I found it amusing how the one scene between lott and Bail is seemingly there in reaction to all the controversy Senate Spy created about the TF/CIS situation. So, his "well, you can see how it could be confusing" comment was pretty funny and, I have to assume, speaking for the fans to some degree.

I was also pleased to see the full-sized blockade runner here.

And that whole Greedo commercial going "That's right, we said Greedo! Yeah, we thought you'd like that."... at least now we KNOW they're intentionally ****ing with the fans. [face_laugh]

Also, due to the echo, I couldn't understand Master Di's second-to-last line just before the Clone Commander is finally killed. Anyone want to clarify that line for me?

Nope- like the original trilogy, nothing yet actually contradicts Ryloth's tidal lock nature (which is good, since the only reason the tidal lock orbit is potentially in question is because someone misrepresented the environment of Ryloth to Lucas, causing conceptual problems that actually don't exist).

The retcon happened this year, first published in the recent Rebel Blueprints book.

The reason behind it is that it's physically impossible for the ship in ROTS to be the same ship in ANH- there's so many major structural differences between the two that you'd literally have to tear it apart and rebuild the ship's frame almost from scratch for it to become the blockade runner from ANH.

And the reason for those differences is Rob Coleman intentionally designed the ship to look different because he meant it to be a predecessor model to the one used in ANH (a CR70 versus a CR90).

So, now, Lucasfilm has gone back and officially retconned the ship to reflect it's original design intentions and the implausibility of them being the same ship. In doing so, they chose a name from the Empire at War game to assign to the ship from ROTS.

Yeah, the Greedo from the TPM deleted scenes was retconned into Greedo the Elder, so that's the Greedo we'll be seeing in the next episode since, as you mention, the Greedo from ANH was too young (and inexperienced) to be the same character.

I believe Filoni has mentioned that having aliens that would normally speak in alien languages translated through subtitles, such as Bossk (and, now, seemingly Greedo), speak basic on TCW was a concession to the audience/format, in that they couldn't use subtitles.

10. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Simple- 10 years between Phantom Menace- if you realised you were that uncoordinated would you not do something about it-? Doesn't stop the clumsy tendenncies from rearing there head once in while but also doesn't mean he's a completely untrained idiot.

11. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, nothing in this episode contradicts the tidal lock concept. That's great, but it's very weird. Cause recently Leeland Chee finitely said that the old Ryloth was gone, since it was impossible to reconcile it to the new material. I thought that meant that this episode would show something that would clearly make the tidal locked Ryloth an impossibility. That didn't happen, so why didn't Leeland just reconcile the old concept into what we saw in TCW?

It's not just TPM. He's been awfully clumsy and never really shown any appreciable dexterity in TCW before. It just seems like a HUGE leap to go from being unable to string two steps together to having almost Jedi-like reflexes.

12. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I only caught the last 10 minutes of the episode, and it was fairly decent. I liked the Bail/Lot confrontation infront of the Toydarian king. The Ryloth scenes were also pretty good, they had a lot of great character moments and a lot of action. Even though we all saw Ima-Gun Di's death coming, it was pulled off pretty well.

As for Jar Jar, I really looked foward to seeing him, but him juggling dinner plates with ease threw me off.

13. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    ]

Meh, I was too impressed to really notice. :p I think I'm actually starting to like Jar Jar now, though can't say I particularly despised him to begin with.

14. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    To be fair, I never saw it as anything different than what we've seen from Jar Jar. Bail basically PUT him there to make such a fool of himself, that they'd never notice the ships sneaking by.

Also, notice how he clumsily tosses food around to GET those plates. This is a classic example of Jar Jar's coordination- when it comes to balance, he always does at LEAST as much good as he does harm.

His fumbling to get on the table, followed by his carelessly clumsy removal of the food off the plates he was using, is balanced by him managing to do something coordinated for a change.

In other words, as with everything that happens around Jar Jar, it was pure dumb luck he didn't break anything. ;)

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually liked the plate juggling thing- it may not be consistent with the character's TCW portrayal so far, but it's a great glimpse of how Jar Jar should have been used in the first place, in his function as the jester/joker, he should have some control over his "craft".

There could be more to come- he likely has access to details on stuff coming up next season by now.

16. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    You know, Jar Jar says a couple of thing suggesting that, unless he's making it up, this balancing thing might be a form of art for the Gungans. And maybe, like people in the real world who are clumsy but able to sculpt...

It's a possibility. Either way, you're of course entitled to not like anything on TCW. But you never seem to acknowledge what the show does well, instead spending time focusing on detail-oriented and/or stylistic things.

I must admit, you're one of the people who I hear and think "why do you keep watching this show when you don't seem to like it."

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Haven't had a chance to watch the episode yet.

Not really sure what else we can say on the TF front that wasn't argued ad nauseum when Senate Spy came out.

Yes, you can rationalize it without necessarily making a hash of existing continuity, but clearly the ENTIRE Trade Federation was shown to be part of the CIS in the films, and it's only in Senate Spy where we're shown something different, though I'm certainly no EU expert.

18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    ^ Actually, it has been mentioned before Senate Spy. Kind of obscure, but some sources mention that while the major commercial organisations donated their droid militaries to the CIS, they were still responsible for moving goods through the Republic: basically, the Republic couldn't touch them for fear of an economic collapse.
    Though, you are right, this is just the same argument as before....

....Plus, as we can see from Bail's comments, it isn't like anyone intelligent is buying it anyway.

About Jar Jar-Hadn't thought of that, but it is a bit weird.

19. Armchair_Admiral

Armchair_Admiral Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Ugggh, I had those annoying sound issues too. You'd think CN would have had 3 hours to fix the bloody thing before airing it on the West Coast. [face_frustrated]

I guess this episode was alright. One thing I didn't get was why the Republic blockade runners couldn't have recieved their supplies from someplace other than the King's palace? Worlds are vast locations; surely it would have been pathetically easy for clone transports to take off from the other bloody side of the planet without Lott Dodd noticing ? However, I did appreciate Dodd acknowledging that Nute Gunray was supposedly a loose cannon.

20. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    Complete episode guide and commentary is up.

21. quara

quara Jedi Master star 1

Jun 28, 2003
    Maybe it's just that I'm tired, but I was giggling myself silly with the Gungan conceptual art bit. Jar-Jar was well-used here--he was only silly when he needed to be for distraction's sake during the negotiation scenes, he was the one making the more emotional plea for the Twileks,complimenting Bail's points very nicely. (and I loved the bit with Lod Dod's buddy clapping, and Lott Dod glaring at him.)

How many parents do you think are out there trying to explain "conceptual art" to their kids right now?

The ending was also very nicely executed--the images of the blockade runners overhead, and Master Di's relief at their presence was had just the right amount of bittersweetness to it. I also liked how they played the destruction of the Republic fleet--very understated, rather than the usual big explosions (and a nice callback to the asteroid of death in ESB).

22. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I was just glad Ahmed Best was back to voice for Jar Jar. If you're going to have him you should have the real voice instead of that other guy. Hard to believe but Jar Jar actually has more depth with Best. I didn't expect the Nikto Jedi or the clone commander to be killed. Also surprised this turned out to be a prequel to "Ambush" from S1.

23. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    All around great episode. It wasn't the laugh fest I expected, but I love me some SW politics, and Master Di was awesome both as a fighter and as a martyr. I love the idea that Jar-Jar's hobby is concept art. I'll have to give his performance some careful analysis in future viewings. It's entirely possible Jar-Jar was trying to improve his skill in Watto's shop, and not simply making an ass of himself for no reason.

24. Jamit

Jamit Jedi Youngling

Mar 5, 2007
    This is an issue I will never stop harping about, as it is, in my opinion the dumbest thing that has ever been done in the Clone Wars. The issue IS NOT Clone Wars-vs-EU or even Clone Wars-vs-the films. The issue is that in Episode 4 of, guess what, the Clone Wars it was clearly stated, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the Banking Clan were members of the CIS. In Senate Spy the massive error was totally forgotten about by both fans and Lucas Film. Now we don't only have a question of what EU is canon and what EU is not, but we also have the question of what Clone Wars episodes are canon and which are not. Ridiculas.

And in reference to tonight's episode and the Trade Federation, in Bombad Jedi, Cloak of Darkness, and Lair of Grievous Nute Gunray is repeatedly called "Viceroy"! Viceroy of what? Did he get a new job since the Trade Federation kicked him out? If he is still the Viceroy of the Trade Federation, as any logical assumption would assume, how can he be rouge?

25. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, I enjoyed this episode (I know, big surprise :p). Not quite enough time to post a full point by point breakdown, but here are some things I'd like to get down here...

I think I sort of understand the Trade Federation's 'neutrality'. The most obvious answer is that legally, technically, yes, they would be listed as 'neutral' or 'not with the Separatists' and Nute Gunray would be an extremist who happens to have a lot of power. But I thought of it in the context of a neutral planet.

Let's say that it IS pretty common knowledge in the whole galaxy that the TF is in (or heavily involved with) the Confederacy. You're King Katuunko. You know this to be fact even if it isn't 'legally' so. And yet, your planet is still in a deal with this large trade organisation, one that probably helps maintain your planet's economy. You know that since you're neutral, your Hutt masters can't be counted on all the time to be 'generous', and Republic trade is possibly out of the question (if not because of their neutrality, then because of this standing deal with the TF).

Even if Lott Dodd's statements of their not being involved are known to be outright (though 'off the record') LIES, do you dare risk alienating them and threatening the trade of your planet? You can't just get up in your chamber and immediately say "I'm sorry, but you're very obviously lying, so get off my planet", not without convening with your ministers and figuring out what's best for your people first. Even if you don't like dealing with the TF, you'd still need to figure out your options and backups before yanking the chord on that relationship. And if that means putting up with their immediate lies so that you're not dropped immediately, then so be it.

EDIT: Summary: Lott Dodd is an unreliable narrator, but he's got Toydaria in a stranglehold. The other characters are at least playing along with his claims because calling him out on it would be a diplomatic disaster. At least that's what I think. [face_thinking]

Also, these are Master Di's penultimate words:
    "Well...Let's make the end memorable!"

Rest in peace, Master Di. You are one with the Force. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.