The Clone Wars: Episode 305: Corruption Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
  2. rumblewagon Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree, great comment about the EU history of Mandalore. I've not read any of Traviss's book about clones or Mandalorian warriors, but I did read her Clone Wars novels (the TCW movie adaption) and No Prisoners. The movie adaption seemed like she just rushed through it, but No Prisoners was pretty good. I know she's an extremely proud author and does not tolerate her work being re-imagined.
  3. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Did anyone else find it absolutely hilarious, that after Satine's whole statement about the Hospital being a place for good work, the pair are absolutely horrified when they see the Hospital is actually being used?

"Tomorrow, we'll go to the hospital, see some good work!"

"Oh GOD! There are people dying here! This is awful!

And what? The principal just happens to have a research lab in his office?

Despite what many people say, there are a lot of people who do enjoy the Traviss perspective of the Mandalorians. Might not agree with some of you, but you can keep your opinions.
  4. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Yeah, I was wondering about that first one. I was at least thinking "Wow, they sure started work FAST." :p

Though given the prolific nature of teenage sleuths and heroes, I think the principal is a little aware of that fact and has the research lab available in case any of his more precocious students uncovers a crime. That, or Star Wars science labs beat the pants off of our crime labs. [face_laugh]
  5. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd suspect that Karen's take on them was trying to encompass the Mandalorian Culture we got to know in the KOTOR era, not just overwrite Marvel for no reason. She was likely thinking if they were that way for thousands of years why would they change, other than a forced change by the Empire and such as depicted in Marvel....maybe.

It's all revisionist history at this point.
  6. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Sad, but true.

I was also seriously disappointed with Satine's character this episode. There was nothing neutral about her, she was insane.
  7. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, that seemed a little strange. Then again, I guess most hospitals won't have an large number of emergency cases on the front doorstep at the same time without a battle overhead or a major accident nearby.
  8. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    On the contrary, a lot of the time, my local hospital takes patients from the bigger hospitals in the city that are too full. Perhaps the waiting lines for the bigger hospitals in Sundari pushed a number of backlogged cases to the new one for treatment?
  9. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    In any case, it might cause Satine to ask what's going on. On a normal day an orderly might respond business as usual. Not this time, though.
  10. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Nothing I said was about opinions, mine or anyone else's. I simply presented a history.

True. Though there were a few time when asked why she contradicted a previous source, she was prone to saying simply that her version was better. And sometimes she made fun of the ideas of previous work in her own (her characters repeatedly blasted the City of Bone as stupid. Personally, I thought the city of Bone was a little city, so I didn't mind retaconing that into a failed amusement park, especially since I I liked to imagine Mandalore becoming a tourist trap at some point, but I also thought the mockery seemed a little vicious)
    I have also heard that Travis developed a reputation in the Gears of War fandom because she turned some obscure island culture into Mandolorians 2.0, so it seems she just really likes the idea of a warrior culture, but I don't know a lot of details.

11. jedi-soon Force Ghost

star 2
    I always feel like I'm in the wrong place discussing a recent episode, since by the time I get around to seeing it, folks are usually discussing EU minutiae. I feel for those folks, but my buddy Jason seems to take the comics and cartoons both
    in stride, so I'll have to ask him how he deals with it...

But I found this particular ep wonderfully subversive. GL might be scaring little kids into not going to school the next day or (shudders) not trusting the government! Such themes were a heavy focus of AOTC and ROTS, so this storyline fits nicely into that scheme of things for me. Nice that they had plenty of work for Dee Bradley Baker, despite no clone troopers in sight!
  12. Ludo_Kressh Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, I feel the same way sometimes, jedi-soon, but here I am... posting.:p

Interesting episode, when I saw Padme was going to be in it, I expected another Padme in mortal danger scenario, but she was actually very effective in this episode; Satine had almost no one to support her in her quest to stop the corruption thus she had to rely on Padme to help her expose it(and I had to admit, she definitely knows how to use a blaster!:p The one sticking point was the outfit she was wearing when her and Satine were eating dinner...ugh!

I was surprised by Almec's reaction to Satine's concerns, yet I always had a feeling that the Prime Minister was not on the up and up from the beginning(during the Mandalore trilogy). He just dismisses her at the end, as if hundreds of children dying meant nothing to him; all he seemed concerned about was trying to connect it to Death Watch yet even the Duchess pointed out that they wouldn't attack children.

The Moogans(sp?) were an interesting choice, they weren't your typical smuggler alien types, they almost seemed regal, like they belonged in a government setting and not a smuggling operation, but they were well presented and somewhat believable as conniving villains.

The plot was pretty much what I expected, I knew they would stop the poisoning and arrest those responsible yet I don't understand why Satine ordered the warehouse destroyed, it contained so much damning evidence and in one fell swoop she cast all that aside although I understand that it was a reminder of the corruption she was trying to stop and she wanted it wiped out, yet it will make those in charge of bringing these individuals to justice's task much harder since they won't have the evidence perhaps to get convictions against them.

Anyway, now I gotta watch The Academy...
  13. fanboyskywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Just saw this episode. It was super boring. Hardly worth oommenting on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.