main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 306: The Academy Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Okay, I know this should probably go in the Ahsoka thread, but what if, instead of being called poorly written, we instead say that Ahsoka was a demographic misfire? As the entry level character for new fans, lets say she was miscast for the role. She seems more like the bratty ultra preppy student you always see in other cartoons, whilst the main character that kids should relate with is the everyman.

Ahsoka should be in the show, but she should not be the prominent figure she is now. She should be one of those supporting characters that shows up to annoy the main character with her incessant attitude.

That would give her a better context within the show, and give us a chance to see a new hero who isn't so annoying.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I would think the writers know damn well that they're making her look arrogant. They're obviously going somewhere with this Ahsoka becoming more like Anakin business. The problem is that not all of us like where they're going.

Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with it, more than anything I'm just curious as to where it will eventually lead.

3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Observation:
    -Cadet Korkie twice refers to Ahsoka as a "Jedi Knight" and she doesn't bother to correct him.
    -In AotC, Sio Bibble (invasion guy) refers to Anakin as "Master Jedi" and Padme is quick to correct him that Anakin is "not a Jedi yet" and "still a padawan learner".

So...is the reason Ahsoka doesn't correct Korkie in how he refers to her as a Jedi Knight because she enjoys the ego-boost like Anakin in being referred to as a Jedi? Is that more of Anakin's arrogance rubbing off on Ahsoka?

4. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    Quoted because Humble Jedi basically summed up my thoughts with these extra 8 cents thrown in(another rant acoming):

Could Ahsoka had been done differently/better (perhaps tune down the sass from the movie for example)? Yea, there are ways she could have been handled to be less annoying as she was/is, or just simply differently. That being said it's struck me that people tend to exaggerate her Sue qualities a bit.

For example as far I know we've never seen her best someone like Yoda or say Mace in a lightsaber duel. Held her own against Gervious (and in the end was held at lightsaber point) or Venntress (forgive my misspelling) yes, but not without backup helping her or eventual defeat. It's not as if she's gone and beat Sidious within an inch of his life with her bare hands. And at the very least she uses established Force powers, God knows even I would :rolleyes: at the sound of "Rainbow Sparkle Force Ray". As for her competence, can't we honestly just chalk that up to higher than usual Midi-chlorian count for a Padawan and be done with it?

Finally as for liking Ahsoka as a character, I'll level with people here. You can like from the start, dislike her from the start, or have her slowly grow on her like she did for me. If you really enjoy her, wonderful, if you really don't like her, fantastic. Just please don't harp on how great Ahsoka is or how much you hate her, both opinions get annoying to read after awhile and to be blunt I think both sides need to get over their options and try to find some middle ground. This goes out to not just simply both rumblewagon or GGrevious but also to both camps on the Like/Dislike side (So if I'm going to be labeled as a troll for this, let it be known that I went after both sides of the Ahsoka coin, not just two members): Ahsoka is not the SW equivalent of sliced bread, nor is she the worst thing to be added to the franchise. THAT honor in my book goes that green space bunny from the old Marvel comics. :p

5. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    'Jedi Knight' is just the general term for -a- Jedi. I doubt the kids are even aware of the Jedi ranks and such.

It's like the opening crawl of TPM, it mentions 'Two Jedi Knights', even though Obi-Wan was still a Padawan at that point.

Same thing with the 'Master Jedi' lines. It's just a way of addressing -a- Jedi, whatever his rank.

6. TheLucasAdvocate1992

Aug 14, 2010
    (having now gotten my rant out of the way) [face_thinking] Can't say I thought of that idea rumble, though thinking about it that does sound like a pretty nice interpretation of that scene.

7. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Well said, and no, that's not trolling. You're just giving your opinion. Trolling is when you're deliberately saying things to get a rise out of people. Some people like to 'rumble the wagon', in other words, they like to post extreme statements for shock value. That's trolling. Especially when you're out for a certain person. It's just a matter of drawing attention, so we should actually ignore it.

8. TheLucasAdvocate1992

Aug 14, 2010
    [face_laugh] Thank you. And I'd argue jokingly that GGrevious does deserve at least a little bit of it, but that's mostly cuz his negative ned attitude been rubbing me the wrong way for a while now. Though I do think that Rumble is crossing the line a bit in his comments.

9. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Great post, TheLucasAdvocate1992. I, for one, would like to see more of the "Rainbow Sparkle Force Ray" and the green space bunny. Really? There was a green space bunny?!
    Yes, I realize it's a general term to address a Jedi by Master Jedi, yet Ahsoka corrects herself in the TCW movie by saying she's a Jedi Knight, or soon will be. But that's because Anakin is in hearing range. She doesn't mind being called a Jedi Knight by cadets (who may not know all the formalities), yet Padme is very specific in not referring to Anakin as a Jedi in AotC and labelling him a padawan. So it seems like Ahsoka is fine being called a Jedi Knight when there's no one around to point out the formal differences.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I would like to know as well. :p

11. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    And we're not going to get an answer because guys like RW typically like to drop the bomb and then hide somewhere in a corner snickering about the confusion.

He was probably being sarcastic though.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    This episode was annoying. Not that it was bad. But there were certain things in it that really irked me. Like Satine's nephew's mouth. Where did it go? It was just like, a tiny hole on his face, and yet he had this obnoxiously strong British accent. Where did he get that? Why does no one else have accents like that? Did he take a holiday in Britain in the future when he was 4? Did they steal his mouth when he was there?

Otherwise, I always hate episodes that have stupid kids. I thought I was watching the scooby poo show during one part.

13. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    And because you hate episodes with kids, they should never have any of these episodes...because the Star Wars Galaxy revolves around you...even though there's been testimony that kids really enjoyed the Mandalore arc because it had kids in the episodes...

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Rumblewagon...:rolleyes:

15. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    'Testimony', eh? [face_whistling]

16. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Yeah, testimony. The guys on the ForeCast doing the review of Corruption said their kids were really enthralled during the episode because it featured kids being affected which the kids could relate to even though the adults watching didn't like that episode very much.

17. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    No one has any right to dislike it if some kids enjoyed it.[face_shame_on_you]

18. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

BC Edit: Careful SLG - JCC-encrypted messages don't send the same message on LACWAC...

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Actually yes- Traviss took mandos to be her own people... and she did forget that George created them originally to be part of the Star Wars... but Traviss then became upset when George revealed his vision of mandos as normal people with old traditional warrior culture (it's still the solid background in TCW)... Traviss created only warrior culture and for some reason refused to believe that mandos can be much more... that is how i see it.... technically mandos are Mary Sue(s) to Traviss... or were..

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    George does great job creating characters that are irritating- he does that in purpose- and then he gives them a bigger role that they should've had Ewoks, JarJar, Ahsoka.... i think it's actually very clever- if all heroes would be similar it would definitely suck- we have Luke Skywalker, we have Anakin Skywalker his father- these guys are classic heroes (before Anakin turns to baddie but that we all probably know:p )- but when we add Han Solo who is nearly antihero- scoundler and villain- story is much better- unfortunately all viewers don't accept childish characters similarly as cocky characters like Solo- i wonder what's up with that....

21. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    This made me LOL.
    :p

22. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Rumblewagon: Stop. You know full well you're baiting. Let the subject go.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

Well. It's weird, because Jar Jar's character has only gone downhill for me. I didn't *really* mind him in TPM - he was annoying, but he served a purpose for the kids in the audience. In TCW he seems to have gotten a lot worse. Ahsoka on the other hand, I reallyyyy hated at first. But now I don't really mind her, because her character is progressing and adapting/learning. But in the end it all depends on the in-your-faceness. Solo is more of a subtle character. Jar Jar and the Ewoks are loud.

24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    That's not a personal attack.

25. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Bwahahahahahaahahahaha!!!!!!!!! [face_laugh]

I love these boards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.