The Clone Wars: Episode 308: Evil Plans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Oh, that point is perfectly valid and its essence is hard to disagree with, because there are just some things which go beyond the realm of quality or numbers. Thanks for understanding we might be tired of it, though, and for keeping it on that point. [face_peace]

By my best guesses, next week's episode will be a shot of adventure in our arms, and the ones after that...well, not the most exciting premises, but they're back to tales about the war, and sound more like they would be equipped for character moments and broader non-trivial implications. ;)

Also, finally, Kevin Michael Richardson voices a character speaking basic. He's been Hutts on this show for so long, but I'll never forget he's Jolee Bindo. And I suspect he's the narrator of the Battle of Alderaan cinematic from TOR. Loved the fact that the shopkeeper he voices resembles Cthulu. [face_laugh]
  2. Avantre Jedi Master

You say that like Bert and Ernie shouldn't be thought of as cool (Bert not cool, sure, but Ernie? He's a guy that can make rubber duckies sound like so much fun).

My opinion on this episode: Nothing really happened. I'm presuming the main point of it, since the Hostage episode is so far in the past, is to setup the ruling Hutts or to setup whatever secret Ziro has.
  3. Artoo-Dion Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, the Clone Wars are the setting (i.e. time period) and underlying motivator for what we're seeing play-out. It all ties back to Sidious' machinations, when you think about it.
  4. Estora Jedi Grand Master

star 1

Lol, are you kidding? Of course they should be thought of as cool! I apologise (to them especially) if I made it sound like they shouldn't be thought of as awesome. Bert and Ernie were the coolest puppets on Sesame Street. I think I still have the handpuppets my mum bought for me when I was a toddler around the house somewhere...
  5. DarthShap Jedi Padawan

Am I the only one who found it plain stupid that the "Heads of the Five Hutt Families" actually were all members of the same Desilijic clan, of the same Hutt Family?

Sure it is a nice tribute to the Godfather but I think said movie would have been a lot less interesting with only one family concerned...
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think that depends on your POV- it seems that way if you Qui-Gon it, but if you Yoda it, the episodes in order don't have as many dry spells.
  7. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Only finally having seen this episode, and without reading the previous comments, here's my take on it.

Another mediocre, mundane episode.

God, the CW writers infuriate me sometimes. They are given the golden chance to write STAR WARS, and this is what they come up with? A plot about getting some crucial FRUIT for a Senator's desert and droids going to a spa?

I know, the REAL plot is supposed to be Bane getting the senate building plans, but even that isn't very good at all. First, we already know he ends up getting whatever he needs for the Hostage Crisis operation, second, we already know these plans aren't even that important for his operation, since he pretty much walzes in through the front door by killing the guards. It is amazing that they've managed to make a Cad Bane episode this dull. He doesn't really DO anything. His goons are the ones to kidnap the droids and all he ever does is ask for the plans and order them tortured. Really, the only salvageable scene from this mess is the meeting with the hutts, which doesn't even belong to this episode, being just an intro for the next one.

But what kills it is the fruit storyline, and the fact that the episode actually thinks that is important. It would already have been pretty silly if it had been only the initial premise to get Threepio out the door so that the story could unfold. But it is baffling that the episode keeps coming back to it, and even wraps up with some "tense" moments of "Will 3PO get back in time with the fruit not do disappoint the poor roonan senator"? Goddamit, this is Star Wars, epic space opera, remember? who cares about whether that stupid senator gets his favorite desert or not?

This is without a doubt the most childish episode in the series. Dumb fruitcake storyline, "let's learn maths" scenes, fun trip to robot dreamland... By the way, was that out of character or what? I would never expect R2 to get sidetracked from a mission for personal benefit, while 3PO resolutely marches on. Completely swapped personalities. Plus, in Star Wars we've always seen that droids are treated as little more than appliances. Thus, a droid spa where a droid can just walz in and get pampered by other droids makes no sense whatsoever. It would have been way more in keeping with the spirit of the saga to see something like Anakin bringing in R2 to get cleaned up like you would bring your car to get serviced.

This was a painful episode to watch, suprisingly painful. I never expected this to happen to a Cad Bane episode. Here's hoping this is season is done torturing us.
  8. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Amen to that. You know something is wrong when Star Wars puts you to sleep.

In fact, the only thing that kept me awake was the times I literally yelled at the screen because what was happening was so ridiculous.

And to think this episode could have been Anakin fighting with Kit Fisto. [face_tired]
  9. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Two points:

(1) All this time, I thought Bane needed the Senate plans for Holocron Heist, I totally forgot about Hostage Crisis and I have to admit I'm pretty much hopelessly confused as to the timeline at this point;

(2) Didn't Bane send TODO to convince Artoo and Threepio to go to the spa? Which actually was a real spa?

I didn't despise this episode like you Gry, my expectations are lowered at this point. It would have been a good light-hearted episode which undoubtedly references Droids.

You know, thinking of the production order.....it was starting to get strange even in Season 2, IMHO.
  10. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I think part of the problem was that my expectations were not as low as they had been lately. After the considerably more interesting Assassin, and with the prospect of Cad Bane, I believed this episode would be part of the "getting back in gear" phase we've been holding out to in this season. Well, it wasn't, not by a longshot, and that made be doubly bitter about it.
  11. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    The problem here is that these are old episodes. And I can see why they didn't use them in S01. They wisely put forward more 'mature' feeling episodes and really saved the show. I don't know what possessed them to pad out S03 with this crud but it's hurting the series badly. TCW is produced in a vacuum, they can't respond to viewer feedback with new content, they can only select from what is already produced. This seems like a big mistake to me. It worked for YIJ because (1) It had a better premise for that kind of production (2) GL was truly being visionary and producing a tv series for the DVD age & beyond. But there's nothing to be gained by watching TCW in chronological order. These lost "filler" episodes are just that -- filler. We didn't need this backstory to "get" the episode they led up to in S01; and we sure as heck don't need them two years down the line!

I think Lucasfilm was really betting all on the second half of this season. I'm sure it looked good on paper. I don't think they'll make that mistake again.
  12. rumblewagon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I liked the juxtaposition of R2 being pampered at the spa and C-3PO being tortured.
  13. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Come on guys was this episode really THAT bad- it was useless and childish- but compared to corruption it was good.... of course level of the episodes have been so low lately -that something like Bombad Jedi or Jedi Crash would feel excellent now[face_laugh] .... but still is this droid adventure this bad- episode 4 starts with a droid adventure and so starts Rotj- this was pointless and boring though- but very classic 3po- r2 pairing... and after these poorly written politics eps- this was a nice change..... of course my opinion only:p
  14. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Yes, I think it was. Better than Corruption? Sure, I guess, but that's really saying absolutey nothing. Comparing the droid adventure to the beginning of Ep4 borders on heresy. Sure, they're both droids going out on a mission. But while one involves delivering the plans for a moon-sized planet-destroying battle station to the hands of one of the last Jedi in the galaxy, facing marauding Jawas and harsh deserts, the other involves going down the street to buy some fruit for the garnish of a cake, facing overpricing vendors.
  15. Tordelback Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ruminating on this one more than I should.

The 'something familiar' that's been nagging me wasn't Droids after all - it was the Holiday Special. Mundane tasks and everyday diversions, camp silliness, barely-present threats, cameos from the main players and a padded-out running time. Swap 'dinner party' for 'Life Day celebration', droids for wookiees, BO-N1 and SN-D1 for that freaky leotard dance and Cad Bane for Boba Fett (as only potentially engaging element) and there you have it. I thought Lucas had already learned that lesson.

At least Season 1's sillier episodes were action-packed, heck even the dire Thousand Moons had some monsters and fun imagery, and in Gungan General and Bombad Jedi the stakes were high and the physical comedy was good - this was just... meh.

My main interest in CW is watching it with my 4 yr old son (who dressed as Captain Rex for Halloween, complete with homemade jetpack and twin holsters - remember that guy? He used to be in Clone Wars) - I actively want this show to appeal to little kids, I don't really want grim'n'gritty all the time - what I want is punchy excitement with mind-bending visuals, heroism, honour, sacrifice and friendship in the face of unstoppable evil. Try Season 1, Disc 1. Or maybe just Star Wars.
  16. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    By the Force, you're right. this episode WAS just like the Holiday Special. Which makes me worry about this show's future even more. [face_worried]
  17. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Well holiday special is very bad- but i actually liked that little animation clip with Boba Fett[face_laugh]... if TCW don't include guys "drinking" through their head :oops: or singing in lifeday celebrations ... or odd musical numbers....I don't care if it's similar- holiday special had allright scenes too- but it was overkill and since Lucas hated it i don't think this show will ever be as bad... this episode was not holiday special at all- at least not like the worst parts of it.....
  18. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    It's a big and important mission for domestic droid like 3po- 3po is in totally wrong place when he is in desert or a battle:p... i cannot see jawas as dangerous marauders- they're just like Bane's droids in this episode... actually less dangerous than TODO and that assassin droid...
    you did forget that droids did face dangerous bounty hunter and his dangerous droids- not only vendors....

ANH has a battle in the beginning but it's a movie- this is tv-series and we cannot have a battle in every episode....ANH has a similar - actually bit boring -droid adventure sequence that starts after Vader says "No one will stop us this time!" and continues until Obi-Wan appears- r2 has important mission yes- but Luke has not- he is doing his domestic jobs- in this episode droids are the ones doing domestic jobs- but Bane is working something bigger..... this episode would have worked better before hostage crisis... now everyone knows what Bane does with those plans and all tension goes away..... I am not saying this episode was good- it was not- this is not The Clone Wars i want to see- but this is something i can watch and enjoy- and there was great humour in that droid spa idea....
  19. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not sure what you're saying when you say it's an "old" episode. This was a production season 3 episode. You're right that, timeline wise, it takes place back before some season 1 episodes...but it was written and produced as recently as any other episode.

I don't think this is a case of them having a bunch of episodes in the can, front-loading with their strong episodes and now finishing out with their bad episodes. I think this is the case of the writers running out of ideas, trying to fill air time by doing prequels to stand-alone episodes. If they were all produced at once, then I think it would feel a lot more cohesive...instead, we get ridiculous continuity errors like TODO coming back to life and Aurra Sing being imprisoned one week and back the next.
  20. rumblewagon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If a moisture farm on desolate Tatooine can have an oil bath, then Coruscant can have a droid spa.
  21. Game3525 Force Ghost

star 4
    The droid spa isn't even all that new is it? I mean didn't Threepio make a reference about it in ROTS?
  22. Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Knight

star 2
    How come this episode does not explain how Aurra Sing got out of jail? Honestly watching this in chronological order it makes no sense.
  23. rumblewagon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I saw Bail Organa and Mon Mothma at the dinner party, plus several other Galactic Senators. Am I to believe that not a single one of them is the least bit suspicious that Anakin Skywalker, Hero of the Republic and poster-boy of the Jedi Order, does not seem a bit overly friendly with a certain Senator Amidala? Wouldn't tongues start wagging and rumors start to get around? And why is a Jedi at this particular dinner party anyhow? I didn't see any other Jedi. Curiouser and curiouser...
  24. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Exactly. There is no reason Aurra couldn't have slipped away from thw clones in Assassin before the episode ended.

Just like there is no reason someone couldn't have made a reference to Anakin rebuilding TODO. The episode guides should not have to explain these things!
  25. TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Master

star 2
    Because we should have to have every dang answer spoon fed to us? And why do you even care? You didn't care how Bane got the plans for the Senate building, so why do you care so much how Aurra escaped prison?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.