The Clone Wars: Episode 308: Evil Plans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tordelback Jedi Knight

star 2
    I think it's inevitable that Bail and others on Padme's side of the Senate must have known or suspected the relationship, and would certainly have been aware of what was going on when she became visibly pregnant in the months leading up to RotS. It obviously wasn't the done thing to comment or interfere.

Of the Jedi, I can excuse Obi-Wan not being aware of the pregnancy because he was off leading armies in the Outer Rim, but that he wasn't aware of the unusual closeness of his former Padawan and a certain Senator is very unlikely. At least TCW has explained why he might not have reacted with his usual pompous outrage to this knowledge. I'd like to see how Padme's other friends dealt with their awareness - and I'd especially like to see Ahsoka's reaction, who as Padme's new bessie mate and the one character that doesn't appear in RotS is uniquely placed to explore this. I suppose I'll have to sit through a few more dinner parties and shopping trips before that happens.
  2. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    in Senate Spy Obi-Wan suspiciously raises his brow when Anakin says he didn't know Padmé and Clovis are friends.... and in Rots he naturally guesses who is becoming father... he already knew Anakin's feelings in AOTC - Anakin openly says she would like to dream about Padmé.... i wonder if Yoda really was so blind he had no idea- Windu was not close to Anakin anyway... Ahsoka should learn about that -since she is so close to both- if she don't understand that at some poit... i must say she is more stupid than i thought.....
  3. stevehamann Jedi Padawan

My friends and I get together each Friday night for some beverages and some Geek T.V. Last season we couldn't wait for the next Clone Wars to come out. After these last few episodes, my friends now refuse to watch it. Instead on Clone Wars, we are watching Walking Dead. Being a huge SW fan, I still watch the episodes on my own. But I wonder if viewership has been in decline due to these war-less Clone Wars? I think Lucas et all needs to rethink their focus of this season. The casual viewer is expecting action and adventure.
  4. rumblewagon Force Ghost

star 4
    Visible? She was hiding it in big, flowing gowns. The only other indication of Bail suspecting a relationship is in the Clone Wars novels, but he suspects it between Obi-Wan and Padme...while Obi-Wan suspects something between Bail and Padme.
  5. apotampkin Jedi Master

star 1
    Ooooh, please do tell in what novel [face_laugh]
  6. rumblewagon Force Ghost

star 4
    Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth by Karen Miller. But those suspicions are briefly hinted at...not at all blatant.
  7. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 6
    I gather you haven't read the sequels Stealth and Gambit. Bail rules out Obi-Wan. He never actually guesses that Padme and Anakin are married, just that Padme's romantic interest is in Anakin, not Obi-Wan, and I don't recall that he actually suspected Anakin of returning Padme's "yearning."
  8. rumblewagon Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm currently reading Clone Wars Gambit: Siege. I thought Clone Wars Gambit: Stealth was the first of the two books. Anyhow, maybe I got my facts wrong, but I thought Obi-Wan suspected Bail and Padme becoming romantically involved due to Bail being so distant from his wife (who remains on Alderaan and is barren).
  9. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    To my understanding, it goes something like this...

Bail: Suspects that Padme and Anakin might be more than friends, but chooses not to say anything out of respect for his friendship with her.

Captain Rex: Deduces Anakin is in love with Padme, but thinks it's not mutual.

Obi-Wan: Knows Anakin has the attachment thing to her, and as his friend, probably suspects or knows something. Might think it's not much, or that it benefits Anakin. I think in a ROTS adaptation, he actually confides to Padme that he knows they're in love.

Galaxy at large: Probably varies, ranging from 'important public figures doing their duty' to 'idle celebrity gossip they can't prove'.

Monkey Lizards: What don't they know? [face_laugh]
  10. AvadaKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    From what I remember in Karen Miller's Wild Space (and others are free to correct me if I'm wrong), Obi-Wan knows that Padme and Anakin have something going on and Obi-Wan tells Padme--behind Anakin's back while he's healing from the Dooku attack on Geonosis--to end whatever the heck is going on between them. She says she will and then she ends up marrying Anakin anyway.

So, Obi-Wan knows how they feel about each other, but he thinks that Padme ended whatever romantic relationship she and Anakin had and that they were purely friends.

He was mistaken. ;)
  11. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If you go by SW:eek:bsession, Obi-Wan knows very well that they are together.
  12. CaptainYossarian Force Ghost

star 3
    This episode seemed to suffer from a rather pointless premise and quite a lot of padding. It also seemed to not be one thing or the other. It was too light to be a serious episode but with Bane and his scheme it was too serious to just be a wholly ?fun? episode. Here are some things that might have improved it:

I?m not too bothered about them starting off with the droids on a shopping trip (starting from somewhere trivial can be good, leading to increasing seriousness) but it might have helped if the droids were going to get some actually important MacGuffin, or it was their responsibility to make up for something. I am reminded of the bit in TESB when they have apparently just ruined Leia?s clothes by turning the heating on. They could have worked in something like that ? ie Threepio comments that it?s too cold and so R2 turns up the heat, which ends up destroying the delicate fruit, meaning that they have to be sent out to get some more.

I thought that it was fairly pointless in the episode that Bane kidnaps Threepio and then his minions have to go back later to get R2 (who is conveniently still in the same place). Perhaps Bane should have taken them both (to not leave any witnesses) and tortures Threepio for the information since he is Padme?s droid. He can?t find it obviously and R2 can?t watch his friend in pain any longer and so he owns up to having the information to save Threepio.

While this is going on, the sub-plot of the episode is Anakin wondering where the droids have got to, possibly whilst trying to be alone with Padme. Eventually he checks R2?s tracking device (which he may have installed after losing him previously) and sees that he?s in completely the wrong part of Coruscant. So he goes off to find him.

Meanwhile, Bane has got the information he needs and commences wiping the droids? memories of the day?s events. However, he is alerted to Anakin approaching and so has to flee without returning the droids to where they were taken from. As Anakin arrives he is just in time to see that the memory wipes have been completed and so the droids can tell him nothing of what has happened and it is impossible to determine what information was accessed from R2.

Anakin can then comment that if the kidnappers went to so much trouble, it must be something important that they wanted. He thinks it may be a plot against him personally since R2 is his droid. And at the end he can comment that they will probably find out soon enough ? and of course it turns out to not be what he expected, even though he did become involved.

Or it should have ended like this:

[image=http://starwars.com/wlj/theclonewars/guide/episode308/50.jpg]
    With Aang declaring: ?Padme, with these jogan fruits you are really spoiling us.?

There were some good things in this episode though. I don?t think it was needed in this episode but the concept of a droid spa was an interesting one ? it shows that some owners treat their droids as more than just machines. The design of the place and the spa droids was also good. And I also liked seeing more Hutts with their various looks. Bringing back the classic 8D8 droid design was also a nice touch, as was Padme's more informal dress and hairstyle. I think she should look like that more often.
  13. StarWarsFan91 Force Ghost

star 4

I haven't seen the episode...but with so much bad rep its getting...perhaps i wont.

But...

Aang?

Have you seen Avatar the last airbender?

Although i can say that TCW can get some good ideas from that show...like having the guts to kill off a young character *cough* Ahsoka *cough*.
  14. Alpha-Red Force Ghost

star 5
    This might have been asked in the previous pages....but why would Jabba have Cad Bane break Ziro out of jail when Ziro was the one who tried to have his son kidnapped?
  15. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Oh goodness.... i hate Karen Miller's books.... correct me if i'm wrong but aren't they actually unlogic with EU- by claiming anakin was knighted some weeks after Geonosis.... and Obi-wan seems to know Bail Organa in Cat and Mouse... but Wild Space takes place after that- during droidduology... and they meet in it for the first time or did they just became friends for the first time in that book... then it's not necessarily unlogic with everything... just with Anakin.... no wait- Obi-Wan were at the temple in Supply Lines that takes place during droidduology and Bail was on Toydaria (and they knew each other in holotransmission)[face_thinking] .... do book explain how Lok Durd escaped?
  16. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Hutts do have dealings that republic must not know- and hutts feared that Ziro would revenge by revealing their businessess- that's why Jabba want him out of republic jail- but for own jail of the hutts (he don't want him free).... Hutts are officially allied with the republic but i think their criminal connections actually are destroying the republic's system and feeding it's corruption... if cis loses power or is destroyed- republic may start to fight against huttclans and that would destroy their businesses..... simple... yet so complicated:p

It's just like later during the Empire- Jabba had fairly good relations with the empire- allowing stormtroopers on tatooine and Boba Fett worked for both- but still he also lead criminal activities like smuggling and Solo and others had to escape from the Empire- even though they worked with Jabba too....
  17. rumblewagon Force Ghost

star 4
    -Where in TESB did they ruin Leia's clothes?
    -Why would Cad Bane sit around waiting for the droids to leave the Senator's apartment (for whatever reason)? I think he stole the Jogan fruit to cause the droids to leave the apartment on a shopping mission (future episode do I foresee?!).
    -Cad Bane figured it was C-3PO with the plans as he is Padme's personal droid. R2 is not Padme's personal droid. C-3PO says he does not have the plans, but then states that R2 has them...which then leads to Cad Bane ordering that R2 be found.
    -I believe the actual "Secret Revealed" is that Anakin/Padme's secret marriage is in plain sight, but no one notices.
  18. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Threepio explains it in his first line of dialogue.

Good god. Cad Bane's mission to steal some jogan fruit. What a swell idea.
  19. rumblewagon Force Ghost

star 4
    I believe "Evil Plans" should have been renamed: "The Mis-Adventures of the Jogan Fruit".
    Cad Bane stealing the Jogan fruit (causing the droids to go out to buy some more) could be titled "A Fistful of Jogan Fruit".
  20. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
  21. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 6
    Just a quick note:

Wild Space was first of the 3 KM books. Right after Geonosis, Obi-Wan tells Padme it's best to break off with Anakin. She "agrees," promptly marrying him & hiding it from everyone & letting Obi-Wan think she's let Anakin down gently.

Fast forward months. At one point Obi-Wan does wonder (half hope) that Padme and Bail are involved (since that would mean Padme is not yearning after Anakin). Bail wonders about Obi-Wan and Padme.

There's a lot of wondering going on (as opposed to knowledge). By book 3 Bail has figured out Padme is far more worried about Anakin than Padme, but respects her privacy enough to keep it to himself.

Anyone want anymore more, PM me since it's off topic.
  22. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    "C-3PO: But it's SUPPOSED to be freezing! How we are ever going to dry out her clothes":p I don't think Bane would bother to steal a fruito_O - Todo could do it- but i seriously hope they don't do an episode about it[face_worried] - they should do a prequel episode about Todo's rebuilding for future seasons though....

You mean more worried about anakin than Obi-Wan but she is also more worried about Anakin than herself:p
  23. Lady_Skywalker87 Force Ghost

star 4
    QFT!!! You've hit nail on the head Valery!

Agreed! Though I liked how they handled Padmé for once...it was painful and sad to watch.

Agreed, well said!

well, other then Anakin hiding at the beginning, they might as well had "WE'RE MARRIED" written on their foreheads in Hostage Crisis!:oops:
  24. Tordelback Jedi Knight

star 2
    Please don't encourage them! I can see Filoni (or possibly Lucas) frantically scribbling this down in his "Season 5: Minor Details Highlighted!" ideas pad muttering "this is pure Republic Dataries!".
  25. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    Sounds a little like the timeline confusion from the series actually:p .

We know Karen Miller had some knowledge of episodes to come in Season 2 when writing her books(Eeth Koth lives and all.). That said I think its a little unfair to hold her book, written some time before Season 2 was a full reality, responsible to predict retcons in the timeline that future episodes would or will produce.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.