main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 308: Evil Plans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Hmmm, I liked this episode, but it seem a little...off. Bane and C-3PO at Bane's hideout in the Works was actually funny to me, seeing Bane getting annoyed at 3-PO was priceless!:p And I lol'ed when Bane called him 'Goldenrod'. And man, the hideout itself was pretty cool.

Now to the 'off' part...R2. It was strange to me to see 3-PO try to keep R2 on task when it's usually R2 who takes the lead. As soon as he saw the spa, he instantly forgot his purpose there and didn't even notice when 3-PO was kidnapped. Although I have to admit, the droid spa scenes were fun to watch.

Bane...any episode with Bane in it is going to peak my interest, but the only truly interesting part and where Bane seemed at his usual badassness was the Hutt Council scene; his interrupting their meeting to take the job was classic. Oh, and I wonder why Jabba needed the plans to the Senate Building? It seemed initially that's what he only hired Bane for; not to spring his uncle from prison. Hmmm, maybe the next episode will explain it(and the preview for that looked awesome!)

Yeah...don't know where they pulled that one from. I mean it looked to me that there was nothing left of TODO in HH and why would Anakin go to all the trouble to rebuild him completely, all he actually needed to do is find his memory and download it or something. It sounds like to me that they are setting it up for the next ep to be Bane's last, since logically we would assume that these episodes take place before, during and right after 'Hostage Crisis' and that the Holocron arc happens so much later. I hope I'm wrong since there is so much more they could do with Bane in this series.

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Well this episode already explained what Jabba wants- he and other Hutts have dealings that republic wouldn't allow- they don't want that Ziro tells about those to the republic- because it means downfall of the hutt-rule if Jabba's secret (criminal) connections are revealed (and all of those other hutts)- even though Republic may not be able to do anything to them- hutts want to keep them secret- just in case war ends and jedi focus on fighting criminals instead..... It's shame if Bane's story will end so soon- they didn't do much with his character. Two arcs actually....

Todo was a plothole patched up with anakin's "magical repair skills"- he blew up completely and suddenly he is "alive" again... poor writing that is- especially when Todo was not really needed in this episode[face_tired]

3. DaRonin

DaRonin Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2005
    I actually like episodes like this. Season 2 was mostly sound and fury, I like how season 3 is focusing on storytelling and adding some actual depth and themes to the background of the Clone Wars.

This episode was just a lark, a good time. Sure, it filled in some blanks. But it just felt to me like the main point was to to give artoo and C3-P0 a chance to do their thing. C3-P0 was just the right mix of uptight, finicky, and goofy. Artoo was his usual amusing self, but I do miss the psychotic artoo from the boba fett trilogy. Where was the artoo that gave that gundark a cattleprod enema?

I also disagree with the comments like "MOAR WARS" and "but artoo never did ****, had ****, or showed *****. If you go in there telling the show what you want it to be, it will disappoint you 9/10. If you sit back, and let it be what it wants to be, and grade it on that scale, you will either find a show you like, or not.

Also yah, Bonus nerd points for name dropping Aruk. I actually re-read Death, lies, and treachery the other day so Aruk was particulary fresh in my mind.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Well, I liked this episode, but something stayed on my mind: If Bane was payed by the Hutt families, why did he replied to Ziro: "Time to pay up, Hutt."

5. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Why would Bane be content with one paycheck, when he could extort another one from a snivelling, cowardly Hutt? [face_laugh]

6. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Exactly!:p

Well this episode already explained what Jabba wants- he and other Hutts have dealings that republic wouldn't allow- they don't want that Ziro tells about those to the republic- because it means downfall of the hutt-rule if Jabba's secret (criminal) connections are revealed (and all of those other hutts)- even though Republic may not be able to do anything to them- hutts want to keep them secret- just in case war ends and jedi focus on fighting criminals instead.....

Yeah, I got that much at the end of the episode, but it doesn't really explain why he just wanted the Senate Building plans...unless Jabba wanted to see if Bane could get them and then hire him to free Ziro? I mean it seemed to me that Bane hands over the plans, he gets paid and then Jabba has to convene the Council to discuss what to do about Ziro...I was always under the impression that he hired him upfront for the whole thing. I don't know, it's not that big of a deal actually, it's just something that I noticed(maybe after I watch it a few more times, it will make more sense.)

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    We´ll this make my to think.... if Bane wasn't working for a Ziro really- was he even working for a jabba really[face_thinking] .... what if Darth Sidious hired him to reveal Jabba.... well probably not- but he has commandodroids in Hostage Crisis [face_thinking] and he has Xanadu Blood in this.... even though Republic captured in in Children of the Force.... only sidious could've easily arranged it's return.... well commandodroids may be stolen from the CIS and Xanadu stolen back by Bane... but still... it adds plotholes but double-double agent's role is perfect for Bane... LOL perhaps he is double-double-double agent and actually hired secretly by Mace Windu to reveal Darth Sidious[face_laugh]

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Geez- that's an elaborate backstory for TODO's return. One line of dialogue would have sufficed. Ditto for Aurra and the Blood. I hope they're not just setting up another Bane story set between this one and Hostage Crisis...

There was apparently a droid harem in the old Droids cartoon. [face_mischief]

9. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    (flipping the bird to the local curmudgeons in the LACWAC)

A pretty good episode. Better than Sphere of Influence, but not as good as Assassin IMO.

Good to see Cad Bane again...just to hear him talk...(insert girlish squeal here)

Guys, is it just me, or was Seth Green's Todo off a bit? Vocabulator must be damaged.

Eagerly looking forward to the next episode!!! QUINLAN VOS BABY!!!

10. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    Quoted because this is my general opinion on the episode. To me, it's a nice distraction with a few interesting reminders that something is lurking on the horizon.

Also thought I'd give props to various areas that are...not as important as plot, but still worth mentioning in my books. [face_laugh]
    -Voices. I remember when we were up in arms over Corruption having so many repeats of voices. This episode, however, I really liked for many reasons. There weren't really any annoying accents, the aliens sounded distinctly non-human. The sound crew did a good job with how they and the droid characters would sound. Can you believe that Senator Aang (lovely touch by the way XD) is TERRENCE CARSON? The voice of MACE WINDU?
    -Speaking of dialogue, I also recall that we don't quite like it when all they do is repeat what the aliens and droids say. I know Jabba has his translator, but it was good that for the most part, the replies to Artoo's beeps and Jabba's Huttese sounded like genuine responses.
    -Cinematically, I really enjoyed the stark contrast between Artoo's trip to the spa, which was clinical and bright, versus Threepio's nightmarish capture. Even the score matched the change in scenery. Very interesting contrast
    -Call me crazy, but I enjoy the domestic side of Star Wars. It was as if Padme was talking to anyone watching the episode when she said "You should really lighten up on these two". [face_laugh]

EDIT: And s'more!
    -Liked that the actual torture scenes, while they could be inferred as pain, actually had some room to interpret that the droids didn't feel so much pain as fear for their data.
    -I just love the Hutt designs. That guy with the coat? I just imagined a monkey lizard perching on his shoulder. [face_laugh]

Also, next week looks...AWESOME. :D

EDIT: I'm somewhat aware that the premise is mundane in comparison, and that as far as heists and plots go this wasn't complicated at all, but heck. I enjoyed it. :p

11. mighty_mouse_droid

mighty_mouse_droid Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2010

Haha, I'm glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that.

Seriously though, incredibly bad episode this week. Just think about trying to pitch the idea for this episode:

Writer: "Yeah, well, Padme is gonna have a banquet, but then they realize the cake has no fruit on it! (dum-dum-dum!) So, they send 3PO and R2 to get some, R2 gets to go to a spa, while 3PO is tortured by Bane, then R2 gets tortured! Then they forget all about that."

Filoni: "GENIUS!"

The only good I could find in the whole episode was the meeting of the Hutt crime lords.

12. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    One thing I was confused about was Artoo's characterization. How did the ANH R2-D2 who would go to any length to complete his mission turn into this R2 that gets distracted by a day spa? :confused:

13. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    Awww, this episode was cute. Not terribly engrossing/important/great but more than watchable, imo.

I liked a lot the A/P interaction and the fact that they've splurged on Padmé models! Yay! :p

14. koonfan

Oct 15, 2008
    How'd the future episode 4 turn into the present between episodes 2 and 3? Fascinating question. [face_laugh]

But I dunno, I wouldn't say it's too far of a stretch. To me, Artoo has a sense of whimsy on occasion. Besides which, he's more often than not thrust into deadly combat situations working himself down to his processor, keeping Anakin's starfighter primed, enduring kidnapping attempts, hacking into doors even in the middle of a firefight. Heck, he even fought not one, but TWO gundarks. He may not show it, but I imagine the little guy's pretty stressed out for a machine.

Wouldn't you wanna relax if you had the chance if you did all that? True, they could have written it more smoothly, but I still stand by my point. :p

EDIT: Also, the fact that he was merely out shopping for fruit instead of delivering vital information or saving the lives of his masters might have something to do with his sense of urgency and focus. :p

15. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Well, I'm back. I feel real good about myself, you know what I mean? So, without further delay...

(no, I don't know why I quoted that. I myself am strange and unusual.)

Anyway. This episode had good parts and bad parts. To me, it was...well...honestly it was a cute episode, which is something I ought not to be saying about a Cad Bane Episode. Still, there were some good things I just have to mention first.

C-3P0 at the beginning. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but is this not, in fact, the first time we actually see a protocol droid doing EXACTLY what he's programmed to do? 3P0 is programmed for etiquette and protocol, and here we finally have him in his element arranging a socio-political gathering for a group of VIPs. I think this is the first time 3P0 was actually shown doing his job, and he does it well.

Then there was the ending and the gathering of the Hutt clans. I haven't read the previous replies yet but I'm sure many are glad that none of them spoke basic and the translator had to hang around to let us all know what they were saying. Sure subtitles would've been cooler, but modern children don't like to read, at least cartoon makers don't think so. As sad a fact as that is, we who enjoy reading must accept it. I too liked that they all spoke Huttese and I think it was good to finally get an idea of another significant power base in the galaxy outside the republic and the separatists.

Now, for the meat of the episode. Did Bane yank Todo's spine when he was installing that bomb in his back in "Holocron Heist" because it seems like the Todo in this episode actually has one, and is a lot more aggressive and without morals. I actually liked this Todo better than when we first met him...presuming of course this is the same Todo and not a different Todo, and until an official chronology comes out I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

Cad Bane was...subdued here. I understand intelligence gathering is essential to his trade, but there was just something about him that was missing here, and I can't quite put my finger on what it was. Ruthlessness maybe. Had these been any two other droids I might have expected him to scrap them both when he was done with them rather than turn them back out into the street. Maybe that's what was missing. His casual attitude to killing things.

As I said I haven't read the rest of the thread yet but I suspect many are complaining about the droid spa. Parts of it were over the top, I do agree, but I can see why a droid would at least want to get a good buffing now and again, and R2 looks a LOT better after he gets his. The massage, though I don't quite get. How does kneading metal help anything feel better? Still, R2 shows a singular lack of the advanced intelligence he's displayed elsewhere here. Here he's made out to be willing to follow any distraction at all if he feels time allows, and I think he shouldn't have been quite as eager no matter how grimy he was.

Lastly, no explanation of how Aurra Sing got out. Disappointing. Still, I guess I'll have to go with my original assumption, that she got a good public defender to get bail for her and she skipped out on it. Considering how corrupt the system is it's not outside the realm of possibility. At least it's a good placeholder until they explain it themselves...if they ever do.

EDIT: Ok, so I went back and read some of the replies. Todo got rebuilt. Maybe Anakin gave him a spine.

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I must say that i didn't really like this TODO- he was not funny anymore in this... maybe it's the writing but somehow- he just disn't feel right to me....

17. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    Really? I thought he had his moments in this episode, true he didn't quite make me grin like he did before, but I'm chalking that up to Anakin messing with his body remains.

18. 1cb_

1cb_ Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2003
    geeeez, tough crowd!

The season is called "Secrets Revealed". We are being shown the "secrets"

19. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    Your Milage May Vary on that dude. [face_peace]

20. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    I thought that it was a fairly decent episode. It was far better than Corruption or Academy.

Cade Bane, R2 and C-3PO were all spectacularly portrayed and were written really well.

I enjoyed the parts with R2 at the spa, I laughed through the whole thing. The last 5 minutes with the Hutts were probobly my favorite part of the episode.

One thing though, TCW has made me feel that Jabba's gone soft on us. In the movie and Sphere of Influence he was made to look sort of like the good guy. Not that he WAS good, but he wasn't the Jabba that I'm used to. Does anybody else know what I mean?

21. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009

This is Star Wars: The Clone Wars.

My point couldn't be much clearer.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    There was always "Trespass".

23. TogrutaJedi

TogrutaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2010
    Maybe we should complain that we don't see enough 'stars' in the war.

The Clone Wars is the major event happening when these episodes take place, so I don't see how it doesn't fit. TCW is majorly an action/adventure show that's had plenty of such episodes. Let's admit it: the war-action fans are just being impatient.

24. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    I can't really find it within myself to type out extensive paragraphs on this episode, either because my points have already been made by others or because I can't be bothered pointing out the flaws in the 'MOAR WARS' proponents, so I'll stick with the timeless likes/dislikes list format;

- The return of Bane; not much action, but he was still the dark-humoured bounty hunter all know and enjoy.
    - A full episode about C3-PO and R2-D2; it's a shame we don't see more of these two together - Destroy Malevolence and a brief bit in The Zillo Beast Strikes Back is all I can recall thus far.
    - The Hutts; with the introduction of the Hutt Council, they're finally being established as a credible 'third faction' in TCW. I like the 'Mafia' stylistic approach to the Cartel, as in some EU sources the Hutt Council is portrayed more as an actual government than the gangsters and crime families they truly are.
    - The contrast between R2's pampering and C3PO's torture; nice little touch by the director.

Dislikes;

- TODO; He came across more as an insipid, dislikeable minion in this episode than the back-chatting attitude-laden droid of Holocron Heist. Hopefully it was a one-off, limited by the needs of the story.
    - The first act of the episode seemed to drag out a bit; I couldn't help but feel we could have gotten to Threepio's capture a little sooner, if only to free up more airtime for the most interesting part of the episode - the Hutts and their plotting.

On the plus side, next week looks to have it all - bounty hunter action, lightsabers flashing, Ziro, plotting and conspiracies from the Hutts, etc.

25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why did they change the Roonan eyelids? Now they are blank, unlike "Senate Murders".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.