The Clone Wars: Episode 308: Evil Plans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Volderon Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, so far this season has been absolutely terrible, with the exception of the first two episodes. Where are all the battles? Six episodes in a row of basically nothing happening? I used to look forward to every episode, now I could care less.
  2. rumblewagon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I enjoyed this episode. It had classic banter from the two droids who introduced us to Star Wars way back in A New Hope.

-Padme's new look (again). She keeps getting great models.
    -droid spa
    -Hutt Council

Dislikes:
    -not sure how shocking a droid gets info, but whatever (it's a plot device)
    -How is it that no one wonders why Anakin hangs around Padme's apartment so much? Really, how many Jedi spend so much time with a Galactic Senator.
    -no Ahsoka

(to those that will invariably complain that there was no blaster shooting and lightsaber wielding and clones battling, QQ more plz).
  3. Asharak Force Ghost

star 4
    "Let's admit it: the war-action fans are just being impatient."

Going by the episode description we will have only three "Clone War" episodes in the first 11 episodes of the season. Taking into account that most of the second half of s2 had little to do with the war I really don?t think you could call us impatient. If Dave Fillioni and his crew aren?t that interested in depicting the war then they should have given the series a different name.
  4. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Ugh...I did not enjoy that episode. It would have been much cooler if R2 had realized that Threepio was missing and tried to find him by himself. We could have the same end result and a better story.
  5. Mond Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Fun, colorful episode full of all sorts of bizarre creativity. As a mafia buff I especially enjoyed the Five Families reference. And Todo's "thanks for the memories!" line cracked me up. He seemed almost sinister in this one.

I have to say, I have grown weary in my old age of listening to people nitpick and complain nonstop about fantasy entertainment products. I'm just bored with it.

This. I don't think active Star Wars fans are an especially large part of the overall Star Wars audience.
  6. Skyler_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 1
    There were many scenes in this episodes that I liked but over all, I disliked it alot!I thought that most of the characters were very OOC (out of character) I also, personally, hated the spa thing.[face_tired]

I really wouldn't have minded this being showed on screen. Just some extra excitement.
  7. Tordelback Jedi Knight

star 2
    My reaction is best summed up as a giant "Hmmmmm...".

For myself I enjoyed the episode in a mild relaxed way, but I have absolutely no idea what the CW crew are thinking in producing and airing stuff like this in the run up to Christmas.

There is nothing here, or in many of Season 3's episodes, to engage my 4yr old, never mind make him pester me for toys. Last year all I head from The Boy was "Cad Bane" this, "Waxer and Boil" and "Trooper Jek" that, and "I want some Geonosians!". This year... is he expected to be asking Santa for some fruit stall holders, massage droids, Mandalorian school teachers and a Conference Delegate Battlepack? As someone not unrelated to the topic might say, "This is madness!". I'm not even going to bother suggesting that my son watches this, as it's plainly not aimed at him. I'm all for diversity, but we're talking a key audience for the financial success of this show - I fear Ben Ten is about to oust Star Wars from its welcome place under our tree.

The good:

- Wait, does this mean that Sidious wasn't behind Hostage Crisis (and Ziro's release) in any way? If he'd been involved, surely he'd have been able to supply plans, suggesting that this was a Hutt deal all the way through. That's pretty cool, seeing someone other than Palps pulling the strings for a change.
    - Some brilliant voice acting from Anthony Daniels, showing the young'uns how it's done. More please. In fact, another 3PO/Jar Jar episode please. Call it "Threeso Company". It's a worrying development that Threepio and Jar Jar's antics have been highlights of the season so far.
    - Really good R2/3PO banter, and a pleasing evocation of some of the better things about Droids. Bartering'n'buffing went on too long for a 22 minute show, but they were fun.
    - More great Coruscant skylines.
    - Meeting the Hutt Clans - I was beginning to wonder if Hutt Space had undergone the Mandalore/Ryloth treatment and been turned into a handful of worlds under the rule of the pacifist King Jabba.
    - Cad Bane was suitably nasty and underhand, but I would have liked to see him do something.
    - New aliens!

The bad:

- Anakin and Padme playing house. Secret marriage my rear deflector. Where are the desperate secret rendezvous of the Tartakovsky series, or even the snatched private moments of Season 1? Where's the romance, the risk, and where's the sense of doom?
    - That war for the survival of the Republic is still on, isn't it? 'Cos there's no impression of that whatsoever on the bountiful laid-back fruit-filled streets of Coruscant, with its starfighter navigators attending droid spas and its Generals catering dinner parties.
    - I didn't like seeing yet more torture in this kids' cartoon series, especially in this casual jokey manner.
    - The fact that nothing even vaguely exciting happened, and it turns out to be a prequel to a pretty poorly thought-out episode in the first place 'Just pop your head back into your chamber and throw him the damn lightsabre, Padme - problem solved, Bane defeated).
    - It's another inconsequential episode with a poor dramatic structure. These things should work as stories in their own right, with the 'secrets' emerging as they play out. Without the existence of Hostage Crisis, there is no story to speak of here, no beginning/middle/end, just stuff happening slowly and illogically.

The niggly:

- Surely bartering is one of the protocols a Protocol Droid should know? Similarly, how does 3PO get around the Senate building and perform his protocol duties without a map? Does he just sit there in between R2's trips home? He seems awfully conveniently dim for a droid that knows the sound main reactors make, can spin a mean yarn (with sound effects) and fly starships and speeders.
    - Why don't R2 and 3PO have some form of communicator?
    - Did Grievous neglect to mention to anyone that R2 had the entire Republic military database in his noggin? And did Bane fail to notice? Because that would have been a handy little bounty for someone.
    - Anakin wearing his ful
  8. Asharak Force Ghost

star 4
    "don't think active Star Wars fans are an especially large part of the overall Star Wars audience."

Possibly, but I don?t think that alternate reality politicks appeals much to kids either. I kinda think they are trying to reach my mother, but I think the sci-fi elements are a bit too much for her.
  9. Mond Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Yeah, that's getting almost funny.
  10. apotampkin Jedi Master

star 1
    As much as I liked their interaction, agreed oh so much.

Another thing I miss of Tartakovsky's CW!
  11. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6

Even a mention on screen of that have been a good addition. Todo could have easily said something about being rebuilt and escaping.
  12. SuperPersch Force Ghost

star 4
    Really? Don't we have enough on-the-nose dialogue as it is? Do we really need to be spoon-fed everything?
  13. Game3525 Force Ghost

star 4
    This is weird, this episode added nothing....yet I liked it. It was nice to see Coruscant again, and R2 and Threepio were great. Next week, it looks like things get back on track.
  14. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    This was a pretty goo looking episode with bright contrast compared to the dark ones were threepio was in. The story may not have clone war action, but the story was nevertheless good. Look, I miss some of the action, but we got a heck of a lot of seasons ahead of us so it dosen't really matter. They've got stories on top of stories that they can tell on the clone wars.
  15. _ThatJediScum_ Force Ghost

star 3
    I was really upset watching this episode. I felt it was completely out of character for Artoo to just leave Threepio in the middle of the street so he could go off to a droid spa. Then they both get mind wiped? No. Just no. I was so upset. But reading some of the comment by those who liked this episode and those who really didn't like this episode put it in perspective for me. I'm still not happy happy about this one but I'm not quite as angry and upset as I was before. I think likening this eppy to a Droids cartoon makes ok for me. Definately not my favorite, but I don't hate it anymore.
  16. Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    QFT!!! The dialog was petty decent this time (I actually liked their interaction though a bit too mundane) and I understand this a kids but, C'ME ON!!! I also have to say once again, that Lanter & Taber are not doing it for me...the hole scene just felt a little flat.

In regards to the whole episode....my head hurts! the only good thing was the 3PO & R2 interaction.

17. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    EXACTLY! R2 is the reliable one! He wouldn't stop until he transferred the Death Star plans to Obi-Wan. But now he's getting the spa treatment while Threepio does the work? No, I don't think so.

If anything, I would imagine Threepio doing that. :p
  18. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    This episode was meh. I didn't like R2's little walking off thing, either. I didn't mind the lck of action. Some of the parts animation wise seemed below par for this season. I also didn't like some of the designs for the Hutts. It's a personal thing, and the monacle on the Hutt, while admittedly humorous, just didn't work for a Hutt character, at least for me. Overall, I'm not crazy about this episode, but it wasn't the worst I've seen........
  19. Estora Jedi Grand Master

star 1

Perhaps we aren't, but my 11 year old sister hated the episode with a passion - she wants to see things "blow up" (isn't she adorable?) and hates Ahsoka's character. Also, no-one else in her school class watches TCW... and honestly, I don't know many kids who really do watch TCW, and I know a lot of kids.

But I digress. When the main/target audience for the show is getting frustrated with the same things we are, it's an indication that something is clearly not working out...
  20. xYodaUnleashedx Jedi Padawan

This episode sort of falls in with 'Sphere of Influence' as far as overall quality goes, it's not bad, it's not incredibly good, it just sort of is with a few great either action-packed, touching or as is the case here humourous moments. It worked mainly because it centered around two characters we all know and love and showed us both new sides to them (Artoo is a sucker for some beauty spa treatment) and affirmed old personality traits (Threepio is bumbling and talkative and Artoo is loyal).

Sure the mundane premise left more to be desired but this was more of a means to an end to get R2 and 3PO out there on the streets of Coruscant. My main complaint is that Cad Bane didn't do enough himself nor was he quite as badass as in previous episodes. But saying that, I think Eric Gellers review of him was a bit harsh; he critcised Bane for torturing C-3PO when he knew it was pointless and for appearing to eager in front of the five Hutt families (a great nod, and something which totally fits the Hutt gangster character). We all know Bane is sadistic in a way that he gets his jobs done. Sure he does it for the credits but it's clear he has no honour or respect for his enemies or contractors in a way that say Boba Fett, Sugi or Embo do. He's more in with the Aurra Sing and Bossk crowd, fairly amoral.

As for his apparent eagerness in front of the Hutts, I wouldn't call it so much eagerness as sheer practicality; what was he going to do, just stand there and let such a big job like that pass by. He recognised what a huge paycheck would lie behind a job involving the powerful and influential five Hutt families so it's no wonder he came forth there and then and told them he was the Duros for the job, that is "if the price is right" in his usual badass tone. Saying that, I would still have liked to have seen him do more but then again we have seen how he employs others including droids to do his bidding as cronies making him distinctively different from the loner image that Boba Fett will grow up to hold.

Overall this episode worked for me but this out of place timeline chronology thing is actually starting to bug me too even though I didn't have a problem with it at first. It's just the fact that every episode now seems to be a prequel or sequel that as Jason of the ForceCast says, we're starting to lose any sort of overall comprehension of character arcs and a greater contextual understanding in relation to all the different stories and experiences the characters have gone through. It just seems unnecessarily confusing and convoluted and I hope they get back on track soon with more straightforward, chronologically speaking, episodes.
  21. Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I am tired of people saying this. This show was designed for a station like TNT and those types of networks shot down the idea. Cartoon network was the only one that would take the show and that is why people think it is for kids but its not suppose to be. Lucas said when he first talked about the show that the show is directed towards kids in their late teens.
  22. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    IMO, season 3 is a pathetic piece of crap. They really need to get this thing back on the rails. It has completely derailed.
  23. Black-Dog Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    "1, 2, 3, 4." "Yay!"

That bit in the end reminded me of watching Sesame Street when I was couple years old.
  24. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    Most of this season reminds me of watching Sesame Street...
  25. TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Master

star 2
    Yes, because shoot outs in hives of scum and villainy, kidnappings, torture, assassination attempts, more kidnapping, dramatic last stands to the on-screen death, more torture, infiltrating a government building and taking down corrupt government officials, is all of what I think when I hear the words Sesame Street as well. :rolleyes:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.