The Clone Wars: Episode 308: Evil Plans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Nov 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Not to mention Threepio's math lesson. "Four times four is sixteen, not thirty two." [face_tired]

It's almost as if they're trying to sneak in lessons for kids. Which makes me think...after episodes like LaPR, is it possible CN made LFL tone down the show? Could that be why we're getting these lackluster episodes? [face_worried]
  2. Fistofan55 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Why wouldn't it? Have you seen how Cookie Monster eats those cookies?!

Imagine if those were babies!!! [face_laugh]

[face_worried]
  3. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    On the flip side, "One, two, three, four. Yay!" isn't exactly what comes to mind when I think of an action show. [face_whistling]
  4. TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Master

star 2
    And on the other flip side its been shown that this isn't a strict action show, we've had numerous stories that have shown that this isn't just battles and fights like the 2D, good as it was, was limited to. Also at least it made sense for the small kitchen droids to be saying it, as opposed to say a Super Battle Droid (or whatever the thick gray ones are called) [face_peace]
  5. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    1.infiltrating a government building and taking down corrupt government officials, is all of what I think when I hear the words Sesame Street >> That's from S1, as this lame episode was. It was pretty much the best episode of that season. This is left-over, weak crap.

2. shoot-outs>> We've seen this. This show needs to find some originality. And "SOI" made us wait the whole episode for anything to happen. A shoot-out's Okay in a story that goes somewhere, but throwing it in at the end of a "who cares" story isn't exciting at all.

3. torture >> of a robot? yeah, real edgy. and: we've seen it before.

4.assassination attempts>> "attempt" is the operative word. It was the single stupidest and most easily foiled assassination attempt imaginable.

Actually, Sesame St maintains a quality that is eluding TCW.

6. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    I don't know what to say about this episode.
  7. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, because I think of Star Wars when I see droids going to spas and learning to count.

It works both ways buddy.
    But admit it, you would love to see Sesame Street do something along those lines. It sounds brilliant.
  8. legosithmaster525 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Separatist droids better have a droid spa or Filoni will have hell to pay [face_skull] But really, I did like this episode much better then Corruption or The Academy. And I loved the Rabbit Droids "Yay!!" [face_laugh] The Hutt Council was the best part though by far. I LOVED the new Hutt models, and I would rather have original Hutt models and a reused Coruscant then a bunch of Jabba clones and original Coruscant, but that's just me. My least favorite part was the fact that Padme and Anakin aren't even trying to keep their relationship secret. That and the fact that Lanter and Tabor still aren't convincing. The next episode looks like it could become one of my favorites. [face_dancing]
  9. Estora Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    I do:

[face_sick]

And before the rest of you get annoyed at me for stating my opinion which I have every right to express, both my younger siblings who are the target audience of this series were less than impressed with the recent episodes. My sister used to watch Sesame Street; I used to watch Sesame Street. I remember one particularly cool episode which had Ernie and Bert explore and Egyptian pyramid, complete with mummies and a horror-like theme. I think there may have been bats. It was cooler than the most recent episodes of TCW. That's saying something.
  10. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    Yes but those episodes were for the most part good. This is junk. And has zero to do with the Clone Wars. Maybe they should rename the series "Star Politics" or "Robot Antics". When a 5 minute Lego animation starring Jar Jar is more entertaining that an episode of your lead series, based on the most anticipated backstory you have to tell, your tv show's in trouble.
  11. JediMaster1511 Force Ghost

star 9
    Not to mention afterwards TNT did play it for a while, as well as Adult Swim.
  12. TogrutaJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    The show has it's fair share of kiddy appeal. Some more ridiculous than others.. (Shaak Ti being mistaken for Ahsoka? Come on, Filoni.)
  13. MarkVader1991 Jedi Master

star 3
    It reminded me of the aliens from Toy Story.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and say that I found this episode to be... amusing. Maybe I just have the mind of a child.:)
  14. MarkVader1991 Jedi Master

star 3
    It can't really be a budget thing at this point can it? Look at all the planets we got in season one! There are only two explanations I can think of at this point?

1. These are all "resource hold" episodes so they can save time and money for impressive battles in the latter half of the season
    or
    2. George Lucas wants to experiment with these ?political? episodes because budget problems with the LAS mean these are mostly the stories he would be telling with that series if he makes it.
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    They've been trying to work in lessons for kids since the start- that's what the whole Jedi fortune cookie thing summarizes/sets-up for each episode.

AFAIK, the only thing CTN has changed against LFL's wishes was deleting Ventress's kiss in ARC Troopers.
  16. ILuvJarJar Force Ghost

star 6
    CTN also censored the word "hell" several times in the re-runs of Rookies.
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I forgot about that- it's been so long ;).

BTW, have we been seeing any other alternate lines/scenes in S2 or S3 so far between the HD and non-HD broadcasts, like the ones we saw in a couple episodes in Season 1?
  18. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I really just don't get this season anymore.

I guess it's good to have a light-hearted episode every once in a while, except that the episode focused on torturing droids.

Padme's red dress model was horrific.

Nice to see the Five Families mentioned and the "Godfather"-esque Hutt, except Aruba the Hutt? Really?

And was what with Senator Aang? Another Jamaican? Starting to get ridiculous.

Also find it hard to believe Artoo would ever willingly lose focus and attend the spa.

Finally, I have to question the entire premise of the episode. Why would Bane think Threepio had the Senate floor plans in his memory banks? Why would Threepio have that info? Why would Artoo have that information?

I don't even really know how to rank the episodes any more. I could have easily told you my bottom 5 episodes before this season

(Downfall of a Droid, The Gungan General, Senate Spy, Senate Murders, Artoo Come Home), but now I keep having to readjust.

On a standalone basis, I'd probably give this a 5/10. I guess nothing made me incredibly mad during the episode, so that's good.

On the other hand, given the weird string of episodes lately, at this point in the season, I'd like it a 3/10.

Someone mentioned how (a) they really stretched this out to a 22-minute episode, when the best episodes seems like they've had to cut every single square inch they could to fit it into 22 minutes, and (b) expanding the storyline by adding these "prequel" episodes isn't making the original episodes any better.....just like the prequel trilogy, George. ;)

Really unsure where they're going with the series at this point and who is in control.
  19. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
  20. Artoo-Dion Force Ghost

star 4
    It's called Star Wars, right? Why aren't there more wars?

Did any of you guys actually watch the movies? In ESB, which we all know is Everyone's Favourite Star Wars Movie (TM), how much time did the Battle of Hoth actually take up compared to philosophy and intrigue later on?

Star Wars has never been simply battles and action. It's been about telling stories. You can continue to complain about what it isn't, or you can take it for what it is--a fun way to try different stories in the SW universe. We've had thrillers, police procedurals, drama, comedy, fantasy, adventure, mystery, action, political intrigue... The fact is, in this show, there are no rules and there were never meant to be.

I wouldn't have it any other way. "Battle of the week" sounds like a snoozefest to me.
  21. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    I wouldn't even call TCW Star Wars anymore. It just doesn't feel like it.
  22. Artoo-Dion Force Ghost

star 4
    To me it very much is. I grew up playing with Kenner figures in the early '80s, and let me tell you, not every adventure involved blasters and lightsabers.

But why do you persist? Are you a masochist or what?

There are TV shows I don't like, some of which I did at one point. I stopped watching. Life's too short.
  23. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Carefully now. This is dangerous ground we tread on, especially in an area where opinions become something akin to facts in the eyes of those who hold them. [face_peace]

At the very least, this reminded me a little of Ewoks, or some such other cartoon, albeit subverted. The general idea is that the headstrong character messes up and goes to the rescue. In this case, it's subverted in that they're both overtaken by the dark criminal element anyway. Like if Wicket went to rescue his friends from the Duloks, only to have the Empire arrive and enslave everyone. [face_laugh]

So yeah. It's not the core of Star Wars to me (that hallowed ground is reserved for adventure and characters), but it does nicely capture two distinct elements: The Threepio/Artoo dynamic, and the criminal/bounty hunter underworld which has always been a behind-the-scenes force in galactic affairs.
  24. Artoo-Dion Force Ghost

star 4
    I loved the juxtaposition of the two tones, and yes, it had the feel of one of the '80s LFL cartoons. (Subverted is right, however.)

And the ending with the Hutts was icing on the cake.

In the middle of my own intense study, this sort of episode was just what I needed.
  25. XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist

VIP
    star 2
    Now that you guys mention it, this DID seem like a big homage to Droids!

Yet, I can't help but have that nagging voice in the back of my head saying "That would be fine...if this show wasn't about the Clone Wars and we already had 4 episodes before it that ignored the war."

I know, I know, people are getting tired of the exhaustion of this point...but you can't argue that it has no validity. What if this was a Batman TV show, and Batman was nowhere to be found for 5 episodes in a row? Madness!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.