main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 312: Nightsisters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    I'm tempted to start that new thread myself. Energy bows are serious business. Way more important than character development.

Though i will say i think there isn't a sith apprentice out there that isn't trying to overthrow their master. It's what sith do.

2. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Speaking of SW twists on bows and bow like weapons...

This has always bothered me... We see Chewy fire his bowcaster more than once in ROTJ (two quick shots to take out the fleeing trooper on Endor). He does not freaking have to stop, pull back a draw string, etc.
    So where does this idea come from (I've seen it many times) that only Wookies can use bowcasters because it takes so much strength to pull back the string? Was that ever explained in the EU (anyone)?

3. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    'A polarizing orb sat at each end of the bow, generating a magnetic field used to accelerate the quarrels. After cocking the weapon, a simple trigger sped the quarrel forward and charged it in an envelope of plasmoid. To generate the requisite potential energy for conversion into kinetic energy, the cocking spring required the strength of a Wookiee to draw back, although some modern bowcasters featured automatic cocking mechanisms (used by Chewbacca) for use by other species.'

At the end of that bit of gobblygook (i love stuff like that though) you'll see that Chewbacca's is modified.

4. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    didn't someone use an energy bow in that 80's Dungeon and Dragon cartoon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JjhQ1Oi_3k

correctamundo...

00:30 and voila

he is no wookie!

5. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    :-B

Perhaps it functions on similar principles to a Wookie bowcaster, albeit having to work with more limited technology. They seem to have the energy generating material and substances that can support and launch it, but not much else.
    Therefore, in order to produce a sufficiently powerful yet stable energy projectile without much of a trigger mechanism (unless it's built into the hand grip), they require a more controlled, primitive base design (a bow) which incorporates a sort of looping magnetic field to direct the energy (from the bow itself to the grip and back to the bow).
    The field directs the energy from the power cells into the bow string, which is tightened and controlled into the handgrip, which finally loops back into the firing chamber. The magnetic field is widened by the design to compensate for less modern conveniences, and the contained energy bowstrings can withstand any strain from loading up arrows. The power couplings that link pod racer engines might be a related principle.

Of course this is all purely in theory. I just love cockamamie gobbledygook on occasion. :p

6. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I have no problems with the bows... could be anything, really. Could even be a 'normal' string charged with energy, same goes for the arrow. *shrug*

7. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    Hey, i like that explanation. Though i know they didn't put that much thought into it when they made the models, rationalizing it like that helps me accept it. And it does look cool.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Sad fact is that from a certain point of view everything fictional must be impractical or impossible or it won't stay fictional:p I think this laserbow goes with lasersabers to the same category of impossible but cool weapon and i cannot see the difference you do- especially when we don't know if string is deadly- there is shields that are safe to touch and holograms that act like matter....

i see no problems with magictechnology and i cannot draw lines what is too odd for sw-galaxy, what comes to devices that supposedly are scientific in-universe... Only teleporter and timetravel should be impossible there - since they would be too practical and easy, and would ruin the saga's universe as big place where hyperdrive is most common way to travel and everything cannot be fixed with timejumps etc.

so if those won't appear no probs- lasertoothbrush is foolish but it would just make me laugh[face_laugh] - it goes with other stuff well enough....

9. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    The arrow can't be a normal one charged with energy, cause we see one being deactivated and disappearing into thin air.

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    well what if arrow is made out of naturally invisible matter which glows with an energycharge? [face_whistling]

:p yeah incredibly stupid idea, but you can never know about fictional technology.... and what you can see don't always tell everything- your eyes can deceive you- don't trust them well invisible arrow would be more tactical without that glow though[face_laugh] but perhaps it's not even "normal matter" that we know[face_thinking] ....

anyway i would say two "strings" are not dangerous alone, but when combined in the handle piece they form sort of "plasma arrow", that can be activated like lightsaber but launched like a blasterbolt- there is energycell placed somewhere in the bow or it's handlepiece which provides power, and therefore ammunition to the weapon without reloading all the time (clear advantage compared to normal bow)- emitter -whatever- in the handle creates a new arrow after previous one is launched- so it could be lethal 'rapidfirebow' [face_laugh] Some kind of trigger may be in the bow or in it's handle piece, and energy cell needs replacing every now and then, but we can see Naa'leth carries no ammo- arrows or anything- she would if arrows would be 'normal'o_O ... well except if they are invisible, but she has no arrowcase either... or is that invisible too?[face_laugh] ok that was stupid idea- arrow is some kind of energything- as well as strings- but well you don't have to touch the strings because there is safe handlepiece, so i still see no difference between this and lightsaber, what comes to logic or safety issues.....

11. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Wow, is invisibility suddenly the new problem-solving monkey-lizard?

You know those rancors you were complaining were absent from the episode? THEY WERE THERE! Only invisible....

12. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Better yet, there could have been invisible monkey-lizards! Except that would propably twist the whole time-space continuum to look like something from Lost.

13. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Oh, nice. Haven't noticed that. You see, I can't really be bothered by these details. It's not like any of that SW tech is actually possible. *shrug*

14. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    I don't think we're discussing factual possibility and scientific accuracy here, just whether or not it makes sense within the context of the universe.

15. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Great start to the second half. Has a lot of what has been missing lately: space battles, lightsaber action, character development. I think this ep goes to highlight how relatively poor that last stretch has been. Loved seeing Dooku displaying his power. The fact that he almost never has to use it and does so much through manipulation makes it all the cooler. As for the TFU complaints, I felt the power levels were reasonable and not outlandish.

Looking forward to the next show.

16. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Thank You.
    Well Chewy's my man so that's cool that he was smart enough to do that but, really, what Wookie (they have advanced technology) would be dumb enough to run around with a 'traditional' bowcaster.
    Here's a weapon with a rate of fire about 10 times slower than a standard issue blaster, modified bowcaster, etc. Hope your first shot's a good one 'cause if you miss your enemy will turn you into a rug for their living room before you ever get a chance to shoot back!

17. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, I understand. [face_peace]

I'm sure it does. :p

18. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    they should have made weequays invisible instead[face_laugh] hey i was not serious with invisibility thing anyway[face_monkey] - but i just don't see much sense in this bow discussion anyway - we should leave explaining to makers of this series -they obviously did mistake when putting unexplained weapon there- maybe some upcoming visual dictionary or something will explain that bow and how it supposedly works....

19. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Why did Assaj want to go to Dathomir when she had no memory of being one of them? Where as after she landed Mother Talzin is the one that told she was one of them. How did Mother Talzin know Assaj was one of them? The last time she saw Assaj she was a baby.

20. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    You need to find a tension based weapon angle to include in that question.

But anyway, I thought she did know. Obviously she was given up as a baby but it seemed like some kind of set ritual/custom/arrangment, meaning she wasn't the 1st or the last. So her 'master' (IMO) didn't hide her origin from her.
    Just like tribes used to give up kids as hostages to Rome (and elsewhere) in ancient times. They knew where they were really from and why they were somewhere else instead.

21. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    Yea, i wondered that too. But i like that explanation. I don't really understand what situation could have the crazy force-wielding nightsisters be forced to ritually give up children to big-headed aliens though. Maybe it's because they kept hurting their hands on their bowstrings trying to fight them off the first time.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This was a solid episode with a lot of redeeming qualities to it. Most notably to me was how it showed Dooku as a true Sith Lord. Blinded and drugged(or poisened) he was still more than a match for the assassins, including Ventress - which also fits with the rest EU quite nicely as well.

Ventress's backstory as seen through the flashbacks was excellent as well. I even liked her power level in this episode, yeah the double choke might have been a little over the top but then she is suppost to be a threat to the Jedi, even multiple Jedi at one time.

The witches worked out fine in this episode, as did Dathomir. I liked that we got a lot of original characters, while losing the Resolute in the opening battle.

The only marks I deduct from this were for the scenes involving Darth Sidious. This was a very bad presentation of him. It's always been an established fact that rule of two Sith apprentices train other apprentices in an effort to overthrow their Masters. To not do so is considered a failure on the part of the apprentice.

Now enter Palaptine's lame dialog about having Dooku eliminate Ventress, and him even yelling about it no less:mad:. It makes Palpatine look fearful and weak, like Ventress & Dooku could best him so he has to break them up.

Reality is Dooku & Ventress are no match, no threat to Palaptine - so why Palpatine would be willing to throw away an asset of Ventress's talent just makes no sense at all - while putting Anakin at risk in the process(when he is the end game for Palpatine) with his non sense.

Palpatine is a lot smoother and a lot smarter than this portrayal shows.

Overall a good episode with one little hickup.

23. Loupgarou

Jan 19, 2010
    The sith may find overthrow inevitable, but that doesn't mean they don't fear it, or try to stop it. No matter how much they try to act like they're in the right and that they have some sort of system they adhere to, all sith are selfish, doing things for their own benefit. I don't think a Sith wants to be overthrown, even if they act as if that's part of the Sith way. And besides, has Palpatine ever acted like he believes in that? I think Palpatine would rule forever, if he could.

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    perhaps Ventress' father was rattataki[face_thinking] that would explain some of the story- he would be dead and indebted to someone or something- and that's why Hal'sted take his daughter from her mother's clan to her father's homeplanet..... and glowing bowstrings are not even ridiculous compared to way how Talzin conjures stuff out of nowhere in Monster:oops: perhaps they won't even reproduce sexually but conjure children out of nowehere with their "magic" [face_tired] there is those nightbrothers though -but Ventress don't look like zabrak- some others of her clan do look like zabraks a bit[face_thinking]

well he is fearful- that is what makes him angry what makes him powerful and yelling was completely allright with me i see no problem- guy shouts in movies as well UNLIMITEEEEDD POOOOOWWWWEEEER! yelling makes no one look weak especially when it was in right place- it's hard to make Sidious yell still...... damn it i see no problem with that scene -Sidious speaks like he always does but first time someone dares to disobey him like that- he nearly shouts to neimoidians in TPM now one who disobeys him is his own apprentice anyone would be angry and shout- and Palpy is master of anger he definitely can shout:mad: .....

and you people overestimate Palpatine sometimes- he is very very good in Forcestuff but not invincible- Dooku and Ventress could have taken him together- at least in theory- now when Ventress is suddenly so good...

25. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    What? :confused:

Sidious made Vader fight and almost kill Starkiller. Starkiller wasn't weak in any way. When Vader beat him, he still tried to train him. I wouldn't say that it was a failure on Starkiller's part that he didn't overthrow the Emperor.

Plus, I would call Ventress more of a dark assassin than a Sith apprentice. Sidious sensed that she could become a true apprentice to Dooku and overthrow him, and that's why he had her "destroyed".