main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 312: Nightsisters Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Jan 3, 2011.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Exactly how I felt after seeing it this morning here in the UK. After the recent Padme-obsessed episodes it was nice to see an episode with some decent action. Can't wait to see next week's episode!

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They forgot about the rancors? Can't say I'm surprised...

3. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Weakness in palpatine is due to the writer. I saw it as a plot device. When they become obvious, we viewers revolt.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    especially when they were animated already:rolleyes: anyway Dathomir is a planet and we don't really see the wildlife there anyway- maybe Talzin's clan just don't use rancors anymore....

I didn't see any weakness in him- Thrawn trilogy suggests that Emperor would have been so angry after Death Star's destruction he cut of vader's arm- well that would have been out of the character to me. But we now know Vader really didn't had any arms left at the time so if he cut of his mechnoarm in anger he is not so calmly evil after all- he once shouts to his disobedient apprentice in this episode and all complain- what the heck- did EU create this picture of palpy since i've seen all movies and i saw nothing wrong with palpy in this- he rarely shouts but when he does he has good reasons- Abercombie is not perfect actor but i have no probs with his Sidious-performance...

5. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Who? What?

Dooku calls her "Apprentice", what more do you need to know?

And in "destroying" her Palpatine creates another adversary, one that was an ally, for no reason.

Palpatine fears Dooku about as much as he feared Sae Sae Tiin, Agen Kolar and Kit Fisto - which is to say he doesn't fear him at all.

6. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    I agree. Just because we never hear Tyrannus say he's planning to eventually defeat Sidious with Ventress doesn't mean he isn't!

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Yeah, I don't think Sidious fears Dooku one bit. Sidious just likes playing mind games with Dooku - having him dance around like a puppet on strings.

8. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    well as master of the sith arts Sidious is above all fear and he just uses his fear to feed his anger and strengthen his connection with the dark side- so technically he fears nothing anymore:p

9. justabloke

justabloke Jedi Youngling

Jul 1, 2006
    My problem with this ep is that it give some legitimacy to one of the worst EU books ever written: The Courtship of Princess Leia. I don't think I've ever read worse tripe. While the Nightsisters themselves aren't the main offenders in the book, the idea that Leia would be auctioned off on Star Wars Ebay was, there are still major issues with them existing at all, certainly by the time of the events of the book, especially if their existence is common knowledge.

I can't help but feel that GL should be taking a more active interest in SW, but I guess what he does is up to him... can anyone say Phantom Menace.

10. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    Palpatine would be a fool if he wasn't afraid of Dooku, well not necessarily afraid but at least wary. Look at how Sidious dealt with his former master. Dooku has an entire army at his disposal, he could take out Palpatine if he really wanted through shear numbers, or even just inform the Jedi of Sidious' role and they'd deal with him.
    Plus it seems to me that during the CW overall Dooku is probably the 4th strongest force wielder in the galaxy, after the top three. Ventress suddenly seems to also be very powerful suddenly, together they may have been able to take him.

And to whoever it was that said Palpatine was a fool getting rid of Ventress due to her usefulness, he doesn't really care about the CIS he just needs the war to go on long enough for him to become an Emperor, so it's better to just get rid of her to show Dooku who's boss just in case he was getting ideas in his head.

11. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    nevermind

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    "The Worst" is matter of opinion -how they can know if someone hates something and use that as reference when writing the eps?-

I've heard someone actually liked that book but hard to judge it- since i haven't read it myself.....

nightsisters in this are not canonising or non-canonising that book or anything there is just clear reference- if you hate that book you don't have to take it any more seriously now than before-

this story is independent from that book- these witches are also based on Lucas' own concepts and ideas so they are not completely those nightsisters from eu if that would make you feel any better:)

13. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I read that novel about 5 years ago and I remember liking it although it never came close to being a favorite. I agree that this episode doesn't necessarily validate or invalidate the book other than the existence of Dathomir and the Nightsisters, so I don't think someone should let the book ruin these great episodes for them!

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well Dathomir's existence is also supported by previous eu-facts like rancors being from there- and rancor is moviecanonical thing.... still no rancors in TCW-dathomir - but i think they are still from there- at least they would suit very well there

15. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah there are tons of rancors in the book, I'd really like to see the Nightsisters use them for transportation in The Clone Wars since they do in the book and I'm sure the visual would be badass.

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    it really pisses me off they didn't add any, since they have model for rancor already:_| ....well they have Savage he is almost as big:D
    Or perhaps Talzin conjures some if needed[face_laugh]

17. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    If the witches are commanding the elements, as the incantation from 'Monster' seems to suggest, and 'The Spirit/Force can turn the air into war, like lightning', then maybe they're using the Force to create the energy projectiles for their bows out of thin air.

18. justabloke

Jul 1, 2006
    Point taken SBJ, and gee your sig sums up nicely my own feelings on the EU stuff. Some really good ideas in it, but some shockingly poor writing. However at least some of that poor story ideas can be explained in that it was done in a vacuum. IE, TPM, AotC and RotS added so much and explained so much that just blows a lot of EU stuff written pre the prequels out of the water.

But when it come to actual writing, which is what I was criticising, I am not just referring to just the story, but the pacing, the language, the grammar, etc, and the story. I think it is fair to say that much of the Clone Wars is better written and much more adult in content that much of the EU stuff.

However, back to the ep in question. I also take issue with "conjuring" staffs (staves) seemingly out of nothing. This embracing of making the Force "magic" is, IMHO, a mistake.

Oh, and if I can get close enough to shoot Dooku with a dark, I can assure you that it isn't going to "dull his senses". It's going to cause his internal organs to explode, yesterday.

19. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    You know I just thought of something: People have been complaining about the Force being too 'demystified' since TPM but now their complaining about it being too mystic now. So how exactly do you lot like your Force then? o_O And as for the axe thing, yes I can see how it being made from nothing would be a bit odd, even by Force standards. But if I might ask something here when was it said that the axe was made on the spot? When I was watching it the vibe I got from it was that it was a pre-made axe that was just teleported from where ever it is the witches keep their weapons at. So where did the notion that the witches made the axe out of nothingness come from? :confused:

As for Dooku and the dulled senses: Riigghtt, and you would do this how exactly? :p

20. justabloke

Jul 1, 2006
    Not sure I like the idea that it was teleported any more than I like the idea that it was created on the spot to be honest :)

But you are right, Mother Talzin (sp?) did say it had been blessed with their most potent spells which would indicate pre-existance.

I have never viewed the Force as magic, I have always viewed it as something different from magic, something original to Star Wars. More like psychic powers than magic ones. That doesn't mean that my preconceptions are correct because they are honestly based on precious little. But I feel that conjuring things out of thin air, casting spells, etc, lessens what the Force is and does not enlarge it. It actually makes it more mundain, less unique.

Just my 2 cents.

21. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    Well its not like the Jedi or Sith will be throwing fireballs at each other now, this is just the sort of thing that ONLY the Witches do. It's their thing. That and they're called witches for a reason dude. I mean did you really think they were going to use the Force like the Sith or Jedi do? That would be kinda boring wouldn't it?

22. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    The axe could have been invisible, so it was just made visible by the 'spell'.

Or rather, it was under an invisibility spell (for whatever reason), and made visible by ending the spell.

Just throwing in a random idea.

23. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    people have different opinions i never had any feeling of midichlorians "demystifying" anything they were just a name for mystic thing

24. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    On most of these issues it just comes down to the individual. Some people just accept whatever's in front of them, and I really don't see anything wrong with that. People like me find ways to rationalize the little things that bother us, so I like reading about how other people do that for themselves since you guys think of stuff I don't. And still other folks prefer to just complain, complain, complain. It's all human nature.

25. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Looks like we've got ourselves another koonfan! :D :p

I'll be sure to remember your words whenever you'll find a reason to complain. :p [face_peace]