1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

TCW Episode The Clone Wars: Episode 314: Witches of the Mist Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    And Obi-Wan was a wuss to fade out like he did when Vader cut him down. It was only a lightsaber cutting him in half, Obi-Wan could easily drag himself out of there.

Of course, then he'd have to change his name from Obi-Wan to Obi-Half. :D
  2. Amdrag Jedi Master

star 4
    Exactly. As if it is ok to literally have your vital organs destroyed.

'Tis a scratch. No more then a flesh wound. He has had worse.
  3. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    No one paid attention to my theory about Sidious possibly keeping Maul alive through the Force- then it doesn't matter he was cut in half- he came to Naboo nearly immediately afterwards..... even if he was as hundreds of small pieces he could still be kept alive through some unbelievable power that creates life through the manipulation of midichlorians-

or watch Darth Sion from KOTOR for example guy is literally broken and alive....

of course if Maul really felt to the molten pit even that may be impossible (we didn't saw what's down there), but Databank had no mention on Maul being from Dathomir until Monster aired (interestingly he still has Iridonia as another homeworld) and Ventress is still only from Rattatak:rolleyes: So i wouldn't trust databank either[face_whistling] ...

4. Humble_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_laugh]

Except that Sidious was throwing Anakin a red herring about that. "If we work together, we can uncover the secret...", so clearly, by the time of RotS he hadn't wholly figured out how to do that yet. Let alone by the time of TPM.
  5. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Well didn't he also say he loves democracy in AOTCo_O Damn it- he cannot say he knows it- if he does[face_skull] he would have no use to it anyway- since he cares about no one but himself and he needed Vader so he could've lied about that (as i actually said in my theory) it's not even near clear- Sidious didn't even want to learn such a useless technique- Anakin wanted....

That "Cheat death is the power only one has achieved but if we work together i'm sure we can discover the secret" could have meant power of immortality Shaman of the Whills achieved and not Plagueis' technique in the first place (as Anakin hoped)- you trust too much to that guy - he didn't even said whose death they would cheat[face_skull]
  6. Humble_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm pretty sure (There is no official word on this as far as I know, although coming to think of it - this might actually be addressed in one of the audio commentaries - not sure), that it was Lucas' intent that immortality (of the spirit) was exclusive to the light side (also because it seems like a selfless sacrifice is one of the main ingredients for it to happen). And I think the Sith 'equivalent' of that is the (Darth Plagueis) power to become 'un-dying' (of natural causes) when they're still alive.

"You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." seems to imply that much. It even became more meaningful when 'Darth' became a Sith title instead of just a first name. Now it's as if Obi-Wan is almost mocking the fact that he's a Sith, and that the Sith are not aware of the power the Jedi have discovered (through Qui-Gon).

But who knows, I wouldn't be surprised to learn some new facts on this in the upcoming trilogy. For all we know, we might all be wrong in our assumptions.
  7. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5

Yes but Palpy may not know whether or not it can be achieved- Qui-Gon says in comic (and maybe in novel too) that it cannot be achieved by Sith... Palpy would definitely like to achieve that and be Emperor of the universe forever-

but i don't think he really was looking for way to save others in the first place- he either knew it already and fooled Vader or then he really was not even interested- he just used it as a bait to lure Anakin to Dark Side... but he says Plagueis taught to his apprentice (him) all he knew....

At some point Lucas even thought that if Palpy would have been the one who created Anakin with that technique- but thought that revelation would be too similar to "I am your father" and changed it....
  8. Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I just watched the whole arc together. Gotta say, for all the ups and downs, I was very pleased with this coming off of the brutal first half of the season.

When you are subjected to utter crap for three months, coming back to watch some brainless action is very fun.

This definitely flows better as a film than otherwise. Minimal commercial breaks really helps things move along.

Of course there were problems, but on the whole I enjoyed it a lot.

9. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Well one thing i noticed in the music of this ep: There was no Dotf but little musical clue after Ventress jumps down to the pipe to chase Dooku and Savage is left alone in the bridge- anyway it was in right place- so good job Kevin Kiner[face_peace] - i am starting to like your music!

Savage-theme is also great- after i saw the Monster that theme played in my head a long time afterwards.... it has to be good.... bad music never has that effect to me:p.... i also like some scores in the TCW-movie but series' music haven't really impressed me until this season... ok that heroic clonetheme in rookies was nice and weequaymusic was hilarious.....

Just something positive to say about Witches for once[face_laugh] Not really it was good ep but it just had some plotholes in Savage's behaviour (maybe he is just insane monster now)and i still don't get how Ventress get to that ship :rolleyes:
  10. Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm very pleased with the arc.

Darth Maul, IMO, being 'back' in whatever form is a weak move but I'll at least wait until we see what it is before judging it and freaking out.

I like the wild cards that are out there now (SO and Ventress). That really changes the dynamic, with the potential for overlapping agendas crashing into each other.

SO was great as the feral creature they turned him into. Even coming home with the dead carcass practically between his teeth. Awesome.
    I also liked the full circle Monster (read Frankenstein) aspect where he can't fit in anywhere. Again, I'm nervous about the Maul thing but I definitely want to follow SO's story. We had a lot of, "He's just Maul 2.0" snap judgements when SO first appeared and that's hardly the case.

11. SadPanda91 Jedi Youngling

[image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110124153110/starwars/images/thumb/8/86/DarthMaul-WOTM.jpg/501px-DarthMaul-WOTM.jpg]

Darth Maul
  12. Humble_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Right! I should have left my brain in the closet. I'm sure it would have helped. :p

He looks happy! :D
  13. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I really don't understand why Savage Opress couldn't keep his axe from the previous episode! It was imbued with the spells of the Nightsisters, so it would be perfectly acceptable if it could block lightsaber attacks. Yet they chose to make him as much a clone of Darth Maul as possible, with the double-bladed red lightsaber, which Savage can't really wield very gracefully. It would have been MUCH better to see him hack at his enemies with that great big lump of sharp metal. WHY THE FIXATION WITH THE BLOODY LIGHTSABER?
  14. Arawn_Fenn Force Ghost

star 7
    I know I didn't feel that Ventress was necessarily dead after seeing that, for some reason. Probably the "established movie trope" thing, but I would add other cartoons and comics.

Judging from the Mandalorian arc, it looks like they don't really want to focus on the KOTOR-style weapons that can clash with lightsabers without getting destroyed.
  15. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Yeah, it's a common trope in every media. It's like crushing the villain under a big pile of stuff. You just know that sooner or later a scraggy hand will pop up from underneath the rubble.

I understand that, but they had a great excuse already established with Talzin's talk about spells imbued in the blade. What was all that for?
  16. Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ha. Dude I had a whole martial arts nerd rant about that on my post above but cut it out for brevity's sake. Yes! Especially after being teased about it having their most potent magicks. And a DM looking guy with a double bladed lightsaber... been there.
    I thought his glaive was really cool, perfectly suited the character, etc.

I'll hold out hope it comes back.
  17. episodenone Jedi Master

star 4
    just rewatched the episode 1 last time before i deleted it from dvr...

odd - at the :26 minute mark when Talzin is telling Savage that he will soon be stronger once he finds maul -- his eyes are 2 different colors.

1 is regular - the other all sith-y red

probably means absolutely nothing [unless it's a hasbro variant!] :p

also - would you think that Talzin would know anything about the prophecy and / or who Skywalker is when he is sitting in front of her?
  18. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 6
    Because the whole reason for Savage and bringing back Maul is to get the ZOMG kids going nuts over it. The only problem is those kids are all grown up now.

Savage was pretty clumsy with that double bladed lightsaber, he was more likely to kill himself with it than anyone else.

I didn't like his polearm thing, I just thought it looked lame. He's huge, I'd like something a little "beefier", like an axe similar to the Gamorrean battleax or some kind of huge pwnhammer you'd see wielded by a dwarf in WoW.

But I agree, keep the more unique weapon, say it's imbued with spells that make it lightsaber resistant and let him use that.

This is why I don't like Savage, he is a contrived, unoriginal, uninspired character.

Constant apologists try to claim Savage has depth, but we all know he doesn't.

19. Humble_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Well it sure seemed like she had Kenobi on facebook.
  20. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't even "do" facebook and this made me laugh.
  21. episodenone Jedi Master

star 4
    Look - it's really rather simple.

If you wanted Maul dead without question -- all you have to do is this 2 step process:

#1: Cut him in Half

[now comes the kicker]

#2: Burn him up in Lava
  22. Humble_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Agreed. He got a little backstory, but for all intents and purposes he's just a Maul clone. I don't care he fights differently. No one can deny that he's another tattooed, horned Zabrak Force user with a double bladed red lightsaber. And sadly, Maul is now reduced to 'one of those guys'.

What are they going to do now? Put Maul's spirit in Opress' body to create someone with Savage's power and Maul's battle prowess aka Maul 3.0 [TM]?

It wouldn't even surprise me if this was actually the case. [face_laugh]

I mean they're just sailing the seas of cheese here.
  23. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 6
    You know, if they just wanted to bring Maul back, I would rather they just brought him back. No need for Savage.

You could do a similar story with Ventress betrayed by Dooku, going to the Nightsisters, Maul is hanging out with them for whatever reason, Maul becomes Dooku's apprentice, Ventress and Maul gang up on Dooku.

Or, if they wanted to be original and interesting, they could come up with an entirely new character, have him take Savage's place and let Maul stay dead. If they did that, this arc would have been much better.
  24. Humble_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I've been saying that ever since we first learned about the character.

Unfortunately, it was never about that at all. The idea was born with Lucas saying as much as:

'How about bringing back Darth Maul? People liked him...'
  25. XCell Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I dunno why they went with the double-lightsaber, maybe it's closer to what Savage was used to using for a weapon, or maybe they wanted the diversity of lightsabers in the fight with Asajj and Dooku. Traditonal saber, double-blade saber, two sabers. But I think I do prefer him using the battle axe.
    Isn't that all mainly looks though? I'm not a huge fan of Savage, but I doubt anyone would be complaining about this stuff if Savage simply wasn't a Zabrak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.