main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 314: Witches of the Mist Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Does Dooku have Sithy eyes in that image?

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    And I don't plan on seeing it ;)

Yeah, after everyone discussed an episode thoroughly, everyone goes off topic. :p

But I just saw this image, and it's just looks wrong.

3. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    That makes twice in one day I get the "gush" line, except you're directing it right at me and making it "blind gushing" for good measure.

If you think I had no criticisms for the episode, just go back and look at the thread.

Regarding Bombad Jedi, please take note of the word I put in italics which is meant to tell you I am putting emphasis on that word. Just because it's my least favorite episode of the whole series doesn't make it devoid of value. Which was kind of my whole point.

The spectrum is "blind gushing" on one side and "blind hatred" on the other, and the point of having a spectrum is that almost everyone comes down somewhere in the middle. How about we give each other the benefit of the doubt, assume we're both somewhere in the middle, and try not to caricature each other's positions?

4. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Agreed!

... but it wouldn't be fun without any verbal jousting! [face_skull]

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    what do you mean "wrong"? It is from the episode and it's obvious reference to Dooku's death.....

6. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Did we ever figure out the actual record dude?? The Overlords discussion thread is looking on track to blow this one out of the water as far as pages go. I think it's doubled in the last 24 hours.

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Like caricaturing by saying that "I never knew how much Star Wars fans hate Star Wars"?

You don't need to assume where I am, you can go back and check if you wish - all the way back to the theatrical release in 2008.

I in turn can not assume your in the middle. I can only go by what I've seen thus far. My issue is not that you like/love this show, its that you come after people when they don't enjoy an episode or two.

If your going to come out swinging like that be prepared to put up your guard as well.

8. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    The record is currently held by Mandalore Plot, with 18 pages (at my 30 posts per page setting). Pursuit of Peace actually has 18 pages as well, but not as many posts. And that record is about to get crushed for sure, seeing as Overlords has currently matched it with 18 pages, and it's not even been a day since it aired. Of course it has the unfair advantage of being uploaded almost a full week before the episode airs, but there's no doubt that this thread will dwarf any other...

Oh, and if you're wondering, the thread with the least posts is Clone Cadets. Pity, isn't it? Such a good episode, but I guess it suffered in this regard from being aired together with ARC Troopers.

9. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Weird... I'm on the same settings but 'Mandalore Plot' has 21 pages for me, and so does 'Pursuit of Peace'...

:confused:

Anyway, 'Overlords' is definitely going to take the cake.

10. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Maybe being a moderator alters my display setting somehow... who knows? Anyway, Overlords will lord over all. ;)

11. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    You'll notice that's in my signature, I never directed it at you or anyone for that matter, so I don't see how that's coming out swinging. I put it there after being frustrated by those who refused to see any good in the Opress arc whatsoever just because the character was Maul's brother. When I complained about that I found out some hadn't fallen into that trap like I had assumed but others made no effort to even deny it, so I wasn't motivated to remove it from my signature. It's hard to discuss the different aspects of issues with people who either choose to be exclusively or are only capable of being negative. It's not an indictment of anyone who's ever complained about anything Star Wars, because I'm sure that'd include all of us, certainly myself included.

12. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Once again, that was your conclusion.

Dude seriously... I spent like five pages explaining to you why I wasn't saying what you were paraphrasing. Don't say anybody denied it. You just weren't getting it at all, and decided for yourself that 'we only hated him because he's his brother LAWL'. I see what you're saying that some people didn't say this, but actually no one did.

I don't see how you can conclude this, seeing that you were arguing with 3 people:

Gry
    CT-lotsanumbarz
    and myself

None of these are people who are known for continually bashing everything. We all have our favourite episodes, and had you spent more time here, you would certainly be aware of that. Gry and myself have repeatedly explained to you that we'll love one episode and bash the next one or vice versa. I don't mean to be condescending by saying this, but I mean it when I say you were a little quick to jump to this conclusion after having spent only a couple of weeks here.

I can definitely see how Robimus perceives you as someone who doesn't understand why people hate the stuff you loved, because that's the main vibe you're giving off here. I won't hold it against you, because you're relatively new, but I can assure you that it will be very tiresome to continue handling these things the way you did for this one episode. The reason why I spent so many time arguing over this with you, is because I wanted to drive the message home that people have their reasons. And even if you don't agree with them, it doesn't mean you should disregard these reasons.

There are very, very few people here who are continuously negative, and they're not the ones you were arguing with, when you came up with that blanket statement. I'd say there are multiple times more people bashing the so called 'haters' than actual haters.

Again, no hard feelings, but I have to agree that quoting yourself in a signature with that kind of statement is like a continuous provocation.

13. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I thought we already clarified that you weren't included in that? You denied my assumption because I was wrong, I didn't think that would be a controversial statement. I really wasn't expecting you to think that was directed you or an attempt to broadbrush people since we already discussed those things. CT-###### on the other hand didn't deny it even though I addressed him about it several times. The subject was literally whether Opress' entire story mattered or was to be dismissed automatically. I don't regret arguing for discussing/judging Opress' story based on its own merits rather than through the prism of this-character-shouldn't-exist. That's all I was referring to. And he wrote like 2 lines on "Overlords" and concluded it deserved 1/10, so as of now I am yet to see something that gives me a more nuanced impression. That's subject to change. I keep thinking about taking that out of my signature but then things happen that cause me to lose the motivation. And yeah pretty sure 'LAWL' isn't in my vocabulary, not that I haven't seen that before when people were mocking others. Seems a bit unnecessary, don't you think? But anyway, it's not even directed at CT-###### or I would have said it to him in a post. If everyone wants to assume my signature is directed at them I can't stop them. It's not directed at any one person but an avenue of thought.

14. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Ok, sorry about the 'LAWL', that wasn't me typing. It was my naughty little Monkey Lizard being a tad sarcastic when I was AFK. O:) [face_whistling] [face_beatup]

I wasn't meaning to say it was about me, but see, that's the problem with this kind of blanket statements.

15. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    That's why I was confused, because we already discussed that. All of my more extreme sounding statements were loaded with qualifiers, so that if the reader didn't hold the position I was describing it was supposed to be clear my opinion regarding said position didn't apply to them. Therefore it would not be a blanket statement, since people are free to opt out if I'm not describing their beliefs and in that case my statements don't apply to them. I was describing an extreme belief that I would expect few people to hold, it wasn't meant as an accusation that anyone who disagrees with me holds that belief.

16. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    All I'm saying is that if one sees how you've been in the discussion, and you're having that kind of signature, you're definitely coming across a certain way.

The signature also implies that TFN is a place full of Star-Wars-hating Star Wars fans, which it is not. Just take a quick look at IGN or the SW official site forums. You're in heaven here. LACWAC is a very mature board with meaningful discussion, a place where things seldom if ever get so out of hand that people need to be banned. LACWAC isn't afraid to criticize. It would be pretty boring if we would all blindly love what they're throwing at us.

As you'll spend more time here, I'm sure you'll notice that the vast majority of us are in the 'middle'.

17. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I don't recall promoting blind love (or gushing of either the blind or non-blind variety for that matter), but I'll try to keep in mind what you're saying. The overall reaction to "Overlords" is a source of optimism for me. I caught up on this whole series in about a month, the first brand new episodes I got to see had more Sith-action than the rest of the series combined, and I had to read about how the new Sith's backstory was inherently weak and unoriginal as a matter of principle because of who he is...so gimme a break. :p

18. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Haha, okay. I can see how it can all be a bit overwhelming. Wow, so you're really new to the series eh? That must have been a hell of a lot to take in, all those episodes in such a limited time.

I remember joining during 3SA (RotS Spoilers Allowed board)... I was surprised to notice such a huge variety of opinions, theories, angles and what not. Sure was confusing at first.

19. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yup I decided to watch the prequel trilogy since I hadn't for years (except Ep. III) and of course I couldn't neglect the Clone Wars "microseries" as it is referred to. I knew about The Clone Wars and I watched it on TV a few times but never actively sought it out. But after I rewatched all that stuff I was dying for something new and I knew The Clone Wars existed and already appreciated the accurate feel of the backgrounds and such so it wasn't long before I caught myself up and...here I am. :)

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Ever the negociator that Humble_Jedi.;)

One of the things that stands out that Humble mentions is how there have been threads where more people are pointing out the "negative posters" than talking about the episode. I can honestly say that I've been on the other side of that a lot of late.

I gave Nightsisters an 8/10 rating and mentioned that I thought it was the best episode I've seen this season. I also mentioned that I didn't like Palpatine's portrayal in the Episode. Guess what got focussed on in the discussion?

You've got it, the fact that I didn't like what the episode did with Palpatine, which I had already called "a minor hickup".

This as an aside I apologize if I come across harsh Darth_Tarkus, but if I don't like the direction something has gone I am going to say so. Unfortunatly this was the case with Monster and Witches of the Mist.

21. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Like Robimus, I too am sorry if I came across as harsh, Tarkus. That whole brother of Maul thing kind of flew me in the face again, even if it wasn't directed at me. Sometimes the internet medium manages to seduce me to the 'blunt' side. [face_beatup]

Nonetheless I feel we made a little bit of progress. :)

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I still give this episode a 7/10 for its awesome camp value. I gave Nightsisters a 10/10 and Monster a 5/10.

Overlords (which I watched for the second time) on the other hand, gets a 1/10.

23. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Any reason? Just curious.

24. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    You guys bring warm feelings to my heart... But if you keep this up I'll be out of a job! What's the point of moderating a board where people make peace and are reasonable of their own accord? How can I ban anyone if you don't allow the flame wars to gain momentum?

Come on! "Savage sucks!", "Clone Troopers are nazis!", "George Lucas raped my childhood!" What happened to you guys?!!

;)

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Darth Maul is dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.