Clone Wars The Clone Wars: Episode 315: Overlords Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You're jumping the gun, swash. We'll know by the end of the arc what exactly they are. Hopefully.
  2. hanimal Jedi Knight

star 1
    You think so? I think that Gry's points are pretty solid ones. The non-dualistic dualism (I like that term - lets stick with that :)) that we see from Star Wars seems not far from Steiner's Anthroposophy. I've been researching Anthroposophy for the last 24 hours, and at least preliminarially, it seems right up George's alley. I know Jung looked into different branches of Theosophy and had quite a respect for them, though never joining any of the sects. I certianly don't think its a streach to think George was influenced by Steiner's movement somewhat. Also, I think we've talked alot about Judeo-christian West vs Hindu/Buddhist/Taoist East, when I truely feel that this is missing the point. I think that what we really should be looking at is the split between the mystic life (psycho/spiritual introspection) which, frankly, is what I believe Jung, Campbell and Lucas are all getting at, vs. mainstream religious dogmatism which alwasy incorperates the polar syzyngies of good/evil, heaven/hell, and reward/punishment. Mystic introspection (very similar to non-dualistic Tao) can be found even in Christian Mystics (Meister Eckart, St. John of the Cross, Origen) as well as Easterners. Dogmatic dualism can be found quite easily in every day modern Buddhism and Hinduism, but is gone from the more ancient mystical approaches. That being said, I don't believe that Lucas, even in the original trilogy, is influenced much at all by Dogmatic Dualism (the good/evil system that we are familiar with in Christian Dogma).

People Keep citing that good and evil seems to be a dominant theme in the OT, thus pointing to a strong Christian influence in the OT. I don't see that being the case. Mystics of all sects (Eastern and Western) have recognized the reality of Good and evil. And in all sects, they basically agree that Good is Compassion/Charity/Love, while Evil is Greed/Pride (exactly what Gry - i think - said Geroge's defintion of good/evil are). Buddhists and Taoists will tell you that just as readily as any Christian Theologian. Star Wars wasn't influenced much by any one religion, but instead, by the universal truths that Aldous Huxley calls "The Perennial Philosophy." Star Wars is Lucas' take on the universal truths that seem to be at the introspective base of all religions, philosophies, and spiritual systems.
  3. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    I think you guys are grossly overestimating Georgie's level of complexity.
  4. hanimal Jedi Knight

star 1
    Maybe. But he was a product of the 60's and 70's, when a lot of this stuff was at its height in popularity and influence.
  5. Artoo-Dion Force Ghost

star 4
    hanimal, I wish I could give your post the respect it deserves by arguing vigorously against the points you're making, but I can't, because you've sold me. I'm convinced.

And CT-Tommy-Tutone, I don't think you're giving Lucas enough credit. He's put a lot of thought into his personal philosophy and seems very well-read on certain topics.
  6. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    he's a smart man, but he's terrible at getting his ideas on paper.
  7. IG_2000 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yup, I heard it on the official website version and I came here to post until I saw your post.
  8. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Hopefully not..... except if they are those whills- great people once and these are the last of them.......

9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess they are not these so called Whills, or they would have said so in the first epsiode.
  10. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Where there's a Whill there's a way.
  11. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    they are called just Forcewielders for now...
  12. hanimal Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm curious how much that will change by the next episode. I'm not expecting "Whills", though my fanboy nature thinks that'd be cool, but I hope for a little more clarification there :)
  13. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    They should have been called "Force-kin".

Though I can see why they didn't go that route.:p
  14. EHT New Films Manager

Manager
    star 6
    [face_laugh]
  15. Darth_Tarkus Jedi Master

star 4
    Hahahahahaha. Wow.

That's hilarious.

Yet, still wrong.

Yet, still hilarious.
  16. SzeruSz Jedi Padawan

But who said that Anakin was "The Chosen One"? Because he could control the Force better then other Jedi, that does not meant that he was the "Chosen One of the Force".
  17. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Lucas said from the very beginning of this prophecything (guy created this you know- he knows if someone does) and in the Overlords it was proven because he was able to tame both Son and Daughter and according to Father only Chosen One can do so- he is the Chosen One of the Force it is many times proven
  18. SzeruSz Jedi Padawan

Sorry, I can not understand. Anaking was strong in the Force, ok, but no one proved that he is the "Chosen One". Well, Luke could not be the "Chosen One"? Because he is, truly, the one that brought balance to the Force. In the Old Republic there where the Sith that were learnt to embrace their feelings and the Jedi were learn to control them, Luke built the New Jedi Order where, he's students, learnt from both ways.
  19. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    You could say he was the factor that provoked Anakin to do it.
  20. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    No, it is Vader who kills the emperor, sacrificing himself, thereby wiping out the Sith altogether. Luke was the catalyst.

Don't forget that it was more or less implied that the Chosen One would be a 'convergence' in the Force, and conceived by the midi-chlorians.

Besides, he fulfills the prophecy in RotJ (also according to Lucas).
  21. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    It may be important to note that Anakin is the Chosen One even if his conception by the midichlorians was instigated by the Sith.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, if it's all a dream, it won't matter what they are.
  23. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, sure.

That's not canon on any level though, is it? (Just curious)

Upon finding out how that turned out, I imagine Plagueis would be all

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/JoZ/BerlusconiFacepalm.jpg]

24. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    It's only one of the possibilities. But you could say that it is canon that it remains a possibility.
  25. SzeruSz Jedi Padawan

Balance does not mean equal? The Chosen One would have to bring balance to the Force so that, there would not be a stronger side?