main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 316: Altar of Mortis Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    This would only further diminish Palpatine's character and I sincerely hope this isn't the road we're set to travel.

Palpatine will have gone from being the Puppet Master of the entire galaxy to simply being in the right place at the right time, basically being allowed to do what he does by greater puppet masters like ptotentially both this Son fellow and Mama Talzin.

Palpatine needs to be the greatest evil the galaxy has ever seen. To undo this on any level is against my programming.

2. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    It'd be nice if this arc threw a little light onto who actually... erm, prophesied the prophecy, and why (almost) everyone totally believes it despite not knowing what the hell it means.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004

4. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
  5. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    That doesn't necessarily mean the Force is already out of balance.

6. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    No, the dark side clouding everything sounds perfectly balanced.

7. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, it was too late to edit my post, so I'm double posting.

Here's some food for speculation.

Altars require sacrifices right?

So who will die?

Ahsoka?
    Daughter?
    Obi-Wan?
    Anakin?

Surely not Monkey Lizard! [face_laugh]

Will Son be sacrificing Father?

Or will no one die at all? (*DING*)

Will the ceremonial weapon be a BANHAMMER? [face_skull]

8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Okay I?m going to change my theory on this. Essentially on Mortis the Force is perfectly in balance... however ?real world? factors make it out of balance in the ?temporal world?. Even though there is perfectly balanced force flowing through the galaxy via Mortis the Sith exploit it and unnecessarily create more dark energy than necessary... so the Sith have ?jumped? on the scales and are teetering it into imbalance. The Jedi don?t exploit the force; they merely ?feed? off the Light Side and allow balance to be maintained, and as such they can exist but the Sith can?t. So the prophecy essentially means the Chosen One will destroy the cancer growing on the dark side of the scales (the Sith) and return it to balance...

The Father has misinterpreted the prophecy and is blinded to the fact the Sith are exploiting the energy moderates... Anakin must destroy the Sith first...

Actually with my revised theory this could play a part... however why does the ?shroud? disappear at the outbreak of the Clone Wars if the galaxy is still out of balance.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Daughter of course- girl had "I'm gonna die" mark printed on her head... or perhaps they forget continuity and kill of Obi-Wan:p

LOL you made up just as complicated stuff- this one is easy- Anakin need to slaughter the overlords:p

is this simple:confused:

10. AhsokaMiro

AhsokaMiro Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2008
    What you're getting at is that the Mortisphere is even *more* out of touch than the PT Jedi, in a way... right? They have removed themselves from the Galaxy and are thus totally ignorant to the balance of the Force as it is affected by the Jedi, Sith, etc. in "real life". The fact that they are probably the most badass Force wielders ever, with the most direct line to its powers *evar*, makes them, at this point in the arc at least, the ultimate bulls in the China shop.

But since Son, the avatar of the Dark Side, is the only one in touch with greed, he's the only one who's going to want to break free of the insular Mortis life and FSU in the Galaxy at large. Which does seem to be what the second episode is driving at. Father refuses to try to coerce Anakin, even when it's in his own most desperate best interests, while Son goes to great lengths to mess with Anakin's head. Daughter remains a bit of a cipher as of now. Stand by for the third episode of the arc, is my guess.

People... you gotta admit that this is fun.

11. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Not really in my opinion. Your theory involves time travel, travelling back in time to parallel universes, etc, etc. Mine is simple. The Force is balanced on Mortis however the Sith imbalance it in the temporal due to their exploitation. Thus the Sith must be destroyed.

It seems, while they control the balance, they can only see the balance they are maintaining. In that they are blinded to the ?temporal world?. This is given credence by the fact the Father says ?when word reached me the Chosen One had been born?, which seems to suggest he can?t simply see everything that happens. Somehow news has to reach him.

12. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well i explained it bit badly- i just meant Mortis would have a time of it's own that wouldn't be same as universe's but would mirror it somehow..... first balance then unbalance and then balance again restored by the One... it would be just a test- small version of reality so to speak- a metaphor... balance in the real life would've been already gone a long time ago when jedi and sith were born and created their views of the Force but on Mortis all that would happen during few days or so- while real universe goes slowly from one situation to another......

13. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Ehh, to be honest, while I respect your theory and understand it, I think it unnecessarily makes it a lot more complicated than necessary. But that?s just my opinion.

14. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Since they now messed up by adding these guys in the first place they should definitely use them wisely... in 'real' universe- we know- Palpy is baddie of the dark side while jedi are lightsiders- this mortis shouldn't complicate matters any more or cheapen the saga- so only way this really works is metaphorical battle that mirrors the past,present and future -all of them- i don't think there is need for continuous Mortis-trips for Anakin or anything like that and if sith are the only prob they complicated things too much we don't need these guys in the canon at all[face_tired] it's clear that sith must be destroyed but they made this too complicated now if that's the only goal- if Anakin kills the Son only- this arc simply sucks after all.........

15. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    For me this entire scenario is merely a metaphor. At the end of the day the only ?evil? which exists are the Sith. The dark side, while it allows evil to exist, is itself not evil. There could be equal amounts of both light and dark and there could exist eternal peace. Palpatine is evil while the Son is merely the dark side (not evil, just a necessity for life). The only way to restore the galaxy back to a balance of light and dark is for the cancer of the Sith to be removed.

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Son is planning to kill his daughter and maybe even father.... i call that evil- son is metaphor of the dark side in this but not the darkside in sense of existence.... if you kill the son dark side won't disappear he is not that great after all..

17. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    This week's episode might prove me wrong, but I think both the Son and the Daughter should be evil. After all, if each of them has thrown its allegiance totally to one side, they are extremists, out of balance. Only their combined forces can be used for good, but each on their own are certainly trouble.

This actually makes me consider a much debated Ep3 line: "Only a Sith deals in absolutes". That makes perfect sense here, because the Sith rely completely on a single side of the Force. The Jedi strive for balance, but I think they sometimes think in terms of absolutes when they throw their lot a bit too heavily towards the Light Side.

18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Yes. The Jedi accept the darkness and allow it to exist but not to be used. This maintains the natural balance, whilst also maintaining peace in the moral world. That is why the Jedi ?dominating? the galaxy does not throw the Force into imbalance as the Sith do. The Sith are extremists which refuse the existence of light.

It?s like Communism and Fascism. Each are at an extreme while Capitalism maintains balance between the good in both whilst not being susceptible to the evil each extreme entails. The Jedi are Capitalists whilst the Sith are at one of the other extremists. While the Sith exist they are continently unbalancing the Force towards an extreme.

19. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't think that parallel works perfectly but there is some idea in that.... not bad anyway

Daughter is communist and Son is nazi very natural conclusion[face_laugh]

.... but i still would say something was wrong in the old jedi order and it's destruction was not only bad thing for the galaxy

20. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    I'm not so sure. If Mortis reflects the flow of the Force in the universe, they should be aware of changes in the flow. However, we haven't seen 'the darkness clouding everything' on Mortis. Perhaps in this episode...

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    that's exactly what i think -Mortis is during this trilogy, like the rest of the universe but in smaller scale- in smaller timespace- from balance to Imbalance and back to the balance by Anakin i would say... but we will see

Father is like any forceuser- sometimes he sees stuff -sometimes he doesn't

I wonder what these guys do there on Mortis if it supposed to be somewhat 'real' existing place?:p .... very boring- just three people and nothing to do- change form and fly around the sky as griffin or gargoyle.... or is it so that son always tries to kill daughter and father tries to prevent that:p - LOL it really is a prison then -like Father says- or are they able to see the happenings of the universe and watch them like TV all the time?[face_laugh] Ok pointless questions like "What do the force ghosts do?" but interesting still- these guys seem to exists more than ghosts though....

22. apotampkin

apotampkin Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 15, 2010
    Methinks you're confusing sociopolitical ideologies and economical theories. What you said doesn't make any sense. It's Communism and Capitalism that are at odds in economics... and ideologically, Communism isn't really the opposite of Fascism (that would be Anarchism, I'd say). Apples and oranges.

If anything Jedi, like most monastical orders, are communists of the purest brand, since they don't own anything and share everything, while Sith are... mmm, that's more complex.

23. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    apotampkin is right, you're confusing things if you're thinking capitalism is somehow in the middle, because it's not.

But let's just leave all real world political parallels out of this. It makes no sense whatsoever, and before you know it you're debating real world politics, which may lead to disaster.

24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    As Humble Jedi suggests, I don't think you have a solid handle on what Communism or Capitalism are to make such a statement, its probably best to just leave this alone and head back over to the ying and the yang............

25. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I think we'll leave the political debate for the Senate. :) (the JC forum)

Gry - I don't think there's anyway they can make "Only a Sith deals in absolutes" work in The Duel at all, but I'll give Lucas points for trying. One of the worst lines in the entire PT, and that's saying something.

I remember when TFN had the contest where people would rewrite The Duel and at least 2 of the entries were better than the finished product.