main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 317: Ghosts of Mortis Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Really enjoyed the last two episodes...can't wait for this one! [face_dancing] [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

2. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Looking forward more to "The Citadel" than I'm to this one, as I don't really know what this episode could bring, aside from the visions of Anakin. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't we supposed to be seeing Qui-Gon again in this episode? He was said to star in two of them.

FIXED.

3. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Yeah, that's what we were led to believe.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Was he in altar's newsreel?:p

5. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Qui-Gon: (wistfully) I wish that were so.

Definitely hope we see him again, maybe even in a more personal exchange with Obi-Wan a'la Obi-Wan on Dagobah, but even one appearance leaves me content. :D

6. JediRaanic

JediRaanic Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2001
    Yeah if we are wrapping up the arc, it would make sense to have him show up again...maybe this time he will be disappointed in Obi-Wan? Bah...no clue.

-JR

7. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    That could be seen as a spoiler, maybe. BEWARE the almighty BANHAMMER! [face_skull]
    Dang, I had totally forgotten about that fact! :oops:

8. FistoFan93

Jul 27, 2009
    I DID consider it a spoiler, that's why I wanted to hide it, but instead I clicked on the bold button :p . Too late too change it, unfortunately.

9. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    [face_laugh]

You're DOOMED! [face_skull]

10. FistoFan93

Jul 27, 2009
    If that's my destiny, so be it. :p

11. swcolts1977

swcolts1977 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2009
    Looking forward to this very much, great arc so far!

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    A prophecy that misread could have been.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thank you everyone for being careful in these threads.

My thoughts are that this is going to be an incredibly exciting episode, I just don't want any "secrets revealed" that ruin part of ROTS or make Anakin look (even more) like a tool.[face_praying]

14. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "Secrets Revealed" was a very poor choice of words for this season.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Secrets Revealed: Ziro Had A Girlfriend

16. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    His death was long overdue.

17. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    ""Secrets Revealed" was a very poor choice of words for this season"

The only secrets we have gotten so far are that Darth Maul is alive and that the production of "Jango" Clones will soon be over, that?s it. I wish they would have given it a more fitting title, like ?Ziros Revenge?, ?Katunkos War? or ?The Search for Jogan fruit?. Maybe ?Return of Todo 360: Butler/Techno Service droid at large?

"Rise of the Bounty Hunters" was also pretty meaningless, the Bounty hunters didn?t rise in power or anything else, and they hardly appeared in the season at all.

18. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    The thing about 'Secrets Revealed' is, that everyone expected momentutous secrets for the viewer but I'd say that most have the secrets have been found out by the characters themselves. Ahsoka finding out that Padme had separatist contacts was a secret that was revealed, the existence of Mortis is a massive secret revealed to the characters and Bane getting the secret plans to the senate building from the droids is a secret revealed. I'm sure there are more.

19. FistoFan93

Jul 27, 2009
    These titles are clever from a marketing perspective, it's all about viewers. But as a series that is so diverse in its episodes, it is nearly impossible to find a fitting subtitle.

20. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    EDIT - GAH! No spoilers, please!! Leave that kind of stuff in the Preview Clip thread. - Gry

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Always in motion, the future is.

22. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    Just noticed in that picture that the Son's wings don't appear to have membranes on them.

23. LukeClone2

LukeClone2 Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    Yes it's good to have opinions, but the sword as a metaphor probably should have a pretty clear cut meaning if it is to really function effectively as a metaphor like other elements of this arc to enlighten us about Star Wars (which is the company line on this arc: it's metaphorical). It would be nice in fact it should be expected, as the person you originally quoted said, if the metaphor would be explained. I mean if everything in this arc is a metaphor yet no one can figure out what the metaphors are supposed to be about (sure we can conjecture all we want and that's fun to a point) then I do think you have to chalk it up to "sloppy writing." If the sword is a metaphor it should enlighten us about something readily discernable: the force or future events/themes in the movies. As it is, the "metaphor" is unclear so to call it a metaphor is unhelpful.

One might say that in the episode, Filoni uses the word "metaphor" as a get out jail free card to paper over the holes in the story such as the sword.

Another might say that Filoni was told to put the sword in there by George who didn't explain its meaning to Filoni and his crew very well. If you watch the first episode commentary and read some of the things posted on Star Wars.com you get the sense that George threw a bunch of mythic elements at the CW crew (creatures the children turn into, the sword, Mortis itself) and didn't give them a whole of direction other than, "I want these things in the story."

If anything, don't solely blame Filoni for the sword as metaphor, it seems clear it was something foisted on him by George (again see the commentary) and he had to do what he could with it. True: Filoni could have made sure the sword was explained better in the show, but remember ultimately that much of this arc, good or bad, goes back to GL himself, the man who brought you midichlorians and Indiana Jones IV.

24. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Well see, that's the thing with metaphors. You don't put them in and then explain them. ;) The Dagobah cave isn't explained in TESB either. That's what makes these movies / episodes so great. You come back to them and find meaning where first you found none.

Check out this page, 7th post from top.

We found several layers of meaning the sword could have. If you have any thoughts on it, let us know what you think (in that topic so as not to clog up this one). ;)

25. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I disagree. Is the art of famed surrealists such a Dali and Magritte of low quality because it's open to interpretation? Many (including myself) see that as its value.

Some here seem to be asking for analogy, not metaphor or allegory per se, IMHO. IOW, they want isomorphism between the object and its metaphorical representation. Where's the fun in that?