main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 318: The Citadel Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    That's sorta true. But this seems to be one of the few episodes this season everyone enjoyed/liked.

2. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Not everyone- Vong333 bashed nearly every aspect in this and said he didn't like it- well everyone is entitled to their own opinion.....

3. Darth-Wyrm

Darth-Wyrm Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2005
    That's a good point. I always thought of it more like a secret code where they could only fit so much into the message (kinda like a Jedi tweet). So I thought they just told Jedi to stay away from the temple and that was it.

Regardless, I think it's fair to say that aside from Jedi, most people had no idea that Palpatine was a Sith.

Swashbucklingjedi brought up a good point about whether Dooku held himself out as a Sith Lord. I don't really think that's the case. Sure, to the Jedi there was nothing to hide, but to the general population, he was just the Separatist leader wasn't he? I don't think Palpatine made it out to be Jedi vs. Sith to the general public at all. It was the Republic, led by him, vs. the Separatists, led by Dooku. No reason he'd make the Jedi the heroes. If anything, he made the Jedi do the dirty work out on the front lines but took all the credit.

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    It's interesting Dooku seems to be proud of his sithhood in Dooku captured but i'm not sure if seppie senate and all CIS-citizens identify him as sith.... what is his title in CIS anyway only 'Count' or just Head of the State?[face_thinking] Ordinary citizens know jedi but sith are thing of the past and only civilised people with knowledge of history and jedi know about them- many probably think they're some kind of jedi....Hondo seems not to know Dooku is sith he calls him a jedi and still identified him to be Dooku "Leader of the Clankerarmy"- Dooku himself says he is Sith Lord and Hondo mocks him a bit "A Sith Lord- no less".... well Dooku is known to be ex-jedi...... he was not known to be Sith before AOTC of course but after that he probably had no reason to keep it secret..... I think Empire focuses different things altogether- finding and eliminating jedi, their supporters and conspirators- destroying remnants of the separatists and rebels opposing the new order..... in TFU it's hard to say whether or not Shaak Ti or Kota knew about Palpatine- they seem to know about Vader and Shaak considers Starkiller sith- but well so does Plo think Savage is sith in Witches of the Mist....

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yes, to the average mortal, I'm sure Count Dooku is seen as an ex-Jedi.

Hard to say what the average person thought about Palpatine - did he have any special powers? Possibly. But he "doesn't" have a lightsaber and he doesn't dress or talk like a Jedi, so he's not a Jedi.

Were the Commando Droids supposed to be like the All-Star team of Commando Droids or something? They were faster and seemed deadlier to me. Thought the action was tremendous, and the lightsaber movements are definitely smoother.

The episode really reminded me of a Jedi Outcast level for some reason, which is definitely a good thing.

My brother coincidentally saw this episode and said he really enjoyed it, seemed better than most of the prequels.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well he had plenty of sabers but he is not wielding them very often not in public- he rarely appears in public anyway I think- only when he has speeches or something- he probably also has decoys with make up to avoid assassination attempts or something- just in case..... we haven't seen the Imperial Palace yet in any Lucas-canon source we need to see it so we know where Palpy lives according to Lucas eu-depictions of that building differ- sure is it's damn big house..... according to Thrawn-trilogy etc it's build from old presidential palace....

Yeah didn't droid call them "special units" or something- they're elite commandodroids.....

it's tripmine cannons maybe... and general simpliness of mission and facility with rayshielded doors and ventilation shafts.... etc.... Outcast is nice game but damn hard sometimes to find way through some simple problem.... then after searching for solution about 3 hours you realise that by blowing up some box you find ventilationshaft that leads to the room where is lever to open closed door [face_laugh] or worse you go to find walkthrough to learn that.... and it's the only box you didn't try to blow up:oops: [face_laugh]

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yeah, it totally felt like Vader's old castle on Byss or whatever.:-B

8. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah, I feel that way about a lot of episodes. Thing is, I feel like if I could strip the crap out of Ep. I and leave the rest it'd be a really great film, and since this is a series divided up into episodes, the best episodes lack the overt flaws and pitfalls that are prevalent in the films. Of course, the worst episodes are chock full of flaws. But with a film you're stuck with the whole thing, whereas with a series you have more liberty to pick and choose what you like and ignore the rest. That's how I feel, anyway.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well that part of Vader's castle where statue of him were in Jedi Academy was pretty similar to Dooku's house actually.... at least "this is where sith lord lives" feeling was same:p

And wow you guys manage to bash prequels in every topic:rolleyes: really you don't have to like prequels but could you please stop talking about them in this thread?

10. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    I wasn't bashing the prequels, all I said was if I could take the crap out of Ep. I I think it'd be a really great film. That doesn't mean I don't like it, I mentioned in another thread recently that I love Ep. I, which I'm not at all ashamed to say. There are still some things about it that I think prevent it from being a great film and that probably prevent other people from enjoying it as much as I do. I don't see that as "bashing." Also, saying some episodes of TCW are better than the prequels is not in any way "bashing" them. I love Ep. I and Ep. III, I'm kind of borderline on Ep. II right now but I'll probably go back to liking it eventually, but that's irrelevant because I could absolutely love all of the films and still think TCW is better. So I don't see how anything either Garth or I said could be construed as bashing unless you're just looking for it.

This isn't just for Swash, but for everyone: I am really getting tired of anything remotely negative being labeled as "bashing" and anything remotely positive being labeled as "gushing." Most peoples' brains are just a wee bit more complex than that, so it's probably a wise idea to ask someone to clarify their position before labeling them based on what you believe it to be.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Okay[face_peace] - it's well known fact that TPM failed in pleasing the majority of audience- and i must say that i agree... PT just isn't as good as OT- but TCW is merely tv-show it's just now slowly getting to the level of movies in my eyes.... at least we get rid of that Mortis trilogy that must be worst Lucas stuff since Ewoks liveaction thingy's and that's my opinion- if there wouldn't have been this great story to mirror in that arc it would've sucked hard but since it's idea was to explain saga it was ok now please more eps like Citadel- simple plot, exotic locales, fun, nice characters, excitement and action that is recipe OT used to capture our imagination and even PT did same for many-

with TCW they try too much to do different eps but i think they should do one special episode(politics/r2 shopping/mystical vision) per ten actionfilled fun war-episodes...like this

12. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Personally, I absolutely love the fact that they do all kinds of different episodes. Sure, sometimes they do a type of episode I don't care for, but the overall effect that we get all sorts of different stories and viewpoints of the war has way more benefits than problems in my opinion.

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    well i also like different eps but there is many kind of action episodes too- most season3 eps however have been too 'special' it's nice to see they can do simple fun again:)

14. Darth_Tarkus

Jan 10, 2011
    Yeah, season three has definitely been extremely sparse on the action-packed war episodes we were used to from the first two seasons, and this arc is definitely looking like a welcome return to that format, or at least something a lot closer to it.

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I liked season 2 because it has 2 political eps to 20 actioneps- ok not all "actioneps" where that actionful or good but still- ratio was good: 2 to 20

16. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Although it was nice to be able to just sit back and enjoy an adventure instead of trying to hang on every word and try to decipher its meaning. :)

17. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    True, I just have to get used to it again. ;)

18. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Swash- Your right I bashed the hell out it. The carbon freeze killed me and the abrupt ending it was one of the big reasons why I gave it the lower mark, but, I loved the exchange with Tarkin and Anakin. That alone is worth part two. My opinion might change after I look at the next two.

19. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    You guys have really thoughtout some really good ideas. Wow! Nice job! Anyways, at first I was a bit relunctant to like the whole carbon freezing thing when hearing about it. But after going over ESB and trying to put myself in Vader's head, i'm liking it. Add me to the list of people going with the thought that Vader was testing Bespin just because he wasn't sure if it was up to specs for people. Not that he has never done carbon freezing or heard of it done before. Tarkin was a cool add to the show. I thought he was done very well so far. The bickering between Anakin and him was definite hard headed. I've noticed some people really hating what the show did to Tarkin. Is it because it killed some of his back story or is it just a bit harder to make it work? Anyways, I liked the ep and I am looking forward to the rest of the arc.

20. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't have a problem with the carbon-freezing, just the presence of a carbon-freezer in the temple seems odd. Would have been better if they'd gone to some facility somewhere on Coruscant, in my opinion.

Also:

Anakin , TRANSFORM! :p

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Caught this one tonight on Teletoon.

It's biggest flaw that I could see all revolves around the Carbon Freezing, both in the fact that the Jedi Temple apparently has larger Carbon Freezing faciliies than an industrial center like Bespin, and in that the idea for the carbon freezing was plucked straight from an early comic in TCW series that I flipped through in a Walmart.

I also found the idea that Ahsoka wasn't up to the task a little silly. She's certainly far more capable than the clones are, or do their lives not count as much as hers?

Also the Asteriod having a breathable atmosphere made me wince a little. Nothing huge but I wish they had approached it differently.

Onto what worked.

I really liked multiple aspects of the episode, including Even Piell, The Citadel Commander and Tarkin's cameo. Tarkin's exchanges with the Jedi were excellent, I liked his voice acting and his reveal. It all worked really well.

The Citadel Commander was, like all the other Seppie villians have been, a breath of fresh air. I wish they had done more with him.

Anakin getting magnetically lifted to the ceiling was a cool idea, as was the idea of using magnitism against the Jedi. It provided a great, believable trap which seemed original to me.

And mad compliments for finding a way to fit R2-D2 into an episode in a useful and believable manner. I loved R2 Squad and hope we get to see more of them in the future.

All in all I liked this well enough, especially once it tore loose from its unimaginitive first act.

22. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well what carbonfreezing even is?:p

23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Oh yeah, the planet with almost an entire hemisphere blown into space and its molten core exposed....that isn't realistic. One, space is freezing cold and that molten core would cool very quickly into solid rock and metal. Two, gravity should have caused the remainder of the planet to coalesce back into a spherical shape after whatever catastrophe occurred that blew half of it up. Third, if the catastrophe happened very recently so that it hasn't had time to cool or reform its shape....you really don't want to be anywhere on the surface of that ball of dirt while it's reconstituting itself.

24. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Yeah, and there are explosions and sound in space. :rolleyes:

25. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    It's not that simple even in reality- last time you've seen planet that is blown up? SW-physics is not something worth of judging anyway as Darth Gamek pointed out i wouldn't worry too much about that- there is something that keeps this planet warm but it's pretty stable- space is not freezing cold because it's space but because there is no matter to keep the temperature stable. Some areas of space are boiling hot- most are freezing cold and real scientific knowledge about universe is pretty limited since there is no possibility to explore space beyond our solar system except well telescopes and mathematical theories - which may not even be truth is SW-universe....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.