main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 320: Citadel Rescue Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Mar 8, 2011.

1. JediCow

JediCow Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 27, 2005
    That's actually one of my biggest problems with The Clone Wars as a whole, when they do little things like that. Having the officers ride Obi-Wan and Anakin looks foolish enough in animation, I can't imagine it looking anything short of ridiculously stupid in the live-action universe this show is meant to inhabit. Peter Cushing (or, I suppose, Wayne Pygram with prosthetics) on Hayden Christensen's back... No way could they get away with that in a supposedly serious story.

Same goes for the STAPS, really. The things Anakin and Obi-Wan get up to on the STAPS just wouldn't sit right in a real-world scenario, in terms of the action OR the direction of these scenes. And there have been instances in other episodes, the Selkath dangling behind Padme's speeder, Palpatine riding R2-D2 to safety... These are things I wouldn't take issue with if Star Wars were ONLY The Clone Wars, it only ever existed in animation, but given that it's meant to be part of the canon of the live-action film saga... makes it a little hard to swallow.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, there...

2. jedislayer5000

jedislayer5000 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2010
    aah i get it now haha, i always just thought about it as in the original formation of the republic, he is probably talking about the republic after the ruusan reformation? anywho thx for clearing it up

3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Apology accepted, Captain JediCow. *Force-Choke* *Force-Choke* *Force-Choke*

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I'm not sure i follow.... well.... being captured in the net of little bearpeople looked foolish enough for me in Rotj "Can you reach my lightsaber?"- what about elegant princess in the garbage smasher? [face_laugh] - foolishness like that is part of real universe so why not part of madeup universe- i don't get your point there- many serious stories have foolish looking elements....

5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    That is a very good point actually. I think this series can be appreciated even more if one interprets them (or imagines them in retrospect, etc) as live-action stories. As such, yes, I agree with the fact that certain things within the series (notably Palpatine hitching a ride of R2 and Tarkin being carried by Anakin) are rather ?unrealistic? when you reinterpret the scenes the way they are meant to be interpreted.

Yeah, essentially when he says ?the formation of the Republic? he is talking about the founding of the ?Modern Republic? which was established 1,000 years prior (at the Ruusan Reformations). So he is talking about the Republic in its present form under its present constitution.

For instance if the United States were to adopt a new constitution, in one thousand years time you may refer to the event as the ?formation of the Republic?. Even though there was a ?Republic? prior in the same ?nation? you are talking about the modern incarnation of it.

However I will admit, unless you know about the political structures of nations and formalities, all of this stuff is very convoluted.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Well they would look different of course but still they would work in liveaction as well they just look even far more ridiculous (Well what about chancellor, Anakin and Obi-Wan in elevator shaft- "Easy! We're in a bit of a situation.":p ) that gravity-defying Selkath was bit too much though[face_laugh]

7. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Actually I think the evaluator shaft, if anything, proves the point against you. Can you imagine if the Chancellor was ?piggy-backed? by Anakin? Some situations in The Clone Wars would not interpret well in a Live-Action scenario. The elevator shaft is an example of what the show should be doing in some of these scenarios.

8. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I see we have reached a point in the discussion where we can safely declare:

STOP! DISCO TIME!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/JoZ/FistoDiscoV3.png]

(Any excuse to post Monkey Lizard silliness) :p

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    it's hard to animate i think that's it- realistic gravity is hard in that and clothes and all if they grab each other like that- but i don't think it's that a big problem hardly noticed entire piggy-backing

10. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    It might have been better if they had made some quick comment about it.

"Don't be ridiculous. I can climb down myself."

"Captain, the Force lends us strength and speed. We need to move now."

Or whatever. It didn't really bother me, but I bet it bothered Tarkin.[face_skull]

11. KelDorMaster

KelDorMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2005
    I disagree. I see no problem with them riding on their backs down the cliff. It reminds of of the elevator sequence in ROTS almost.

12. Darth_Tarkus

Darth_Tarkus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2011
    In a life or death situation people are more willing to accept piggy-back rides to save themselves, whether or not it looks silly probably isn't their first concern at that moment. If they avoided stuff like that in order to seem more realistic I think it would actually be less realistic.

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    I don't understand that discussion at all..... more realistic usually looks silly.... only total idiot would die rather than look silly when no one is even looking....

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Oh delicious irony:p

I don't get what's wrong with piggybacking down a cliff face...? Obviously they can't jump off except the Jedi (actually LAPR had Anakin and Ahsoka use Force Push at the last minute to soften their landing which I though was pretty awesome - way better than have the Jedi have super strong ninja legs that can withstand any fall without breaking:oops: bending your knees or crouching upon landing is NOT enough to withstand that kind of impact), abseiling/climbing down the face would take too long and they'd probably be sitting ducks to get picked off from the top. And (also in LAPR) they can't Force lift the clones and Tarkin over the cliff and let them freefall because they were under fire at the time.

Actually one thing I didn't like about this episode was how the clones in pyjamas were limping clutching their sides in the first 2 episodes but in this one they can run around and shoot droids like normal - I think considering what they're going through a recovery that swift with no evidence of being checked up by a team medic (or maybe Charger was the medic - that'd be a bummer) is pushing the believable boundaries for me.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You'd be surprised what adrenaline can do for you. ;)

16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Doubt adrenaline would do enough though to completely heal them, especially as one got slammed pretty hard by that crab droid moments before we see him running at the same speed as the rest of the group. You can't just shrug things like that off...oh wait this is Star Wars:rolleyes: logic has no hold here.

17. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    [image=http://i54.tinypic.com/33zbms4.jpg]
    Togruta double deflector!

18. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The piggyback didn't bother me nearly as much as Tarkin crawling over that line while being very close to lava. The man is your link to important info. You can't float him over? Seriously? In Landing at Point Rain, Anakin tosses Rex over the fortress, jumps down and then he and Ahsoka slow Rex's fall. In this very episode, Anakin and Obi-Wan lower Even Piell's corpse into lava. So it's not like they couldn't do it. Perhaps Obi-Wan secretly hoped Tarkin would fall in? :p

19. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    -Really well done episode.
    -As someone who has not delved into the EU heavily, I honestly couldn't care less about the continuity mess.
    -The visuals, choreography, actual feeling of despair was very well done, and quite frankly Piell's death at the paws of those anoobas was quite graphic.
    -The best parts for me though were the end with the Imperial March, Ahsoka stabbing Osi through the back, and Tarkin blasting with his gun.
    -The whole issue of Saessee Tiin's Old Republic line is quite ridiculous. They've had bad dialogue before, and honestly, who really cares?
    -Tarkin riding on Anakin's back is like Tiin's line. It is so miniscule and insignificant that it really doesn't matter. I don't see the problem with it, to be honest.
    -Loved how the hyperspace lane issue ties into the Battle of Coruscant directly. Nice little bridge there.
    -Great disgust of Tarkin from Ahsoka.
    -Overall, a definite 9.

What I'm looking forward to:

-Obi-Wan's and especially Ahsoka's growing concern regarding Anakin's views was really a nice touch. I hope to see that explored more in the future as Ahsoka distances herself from Anakin and more firmly commits to the principles of the Jedi Order (since her sense of commitment rose after Piell's revelation of the info to her). Lots of room for drama there.

20. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I wonder what the third ending to this Episode was?

21. 13thsithlord

13thsithlord Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2005

ok
    but for the purposes of his discussion lucas is lucasfilm and vice versa

and lucas can say that all day but all the time he sitting in a chair paid for with dollars earned from the sales of books and comics his company said where offical - he pisses me off

i dont mind the big stuff- like the description of the clone wars in zahns books proving wrong but its the smaller things that get to me
    the two deaths of shaak tai - who then of course is still alive
    this evian pell thing - why plenty of jedi to choose
    the ridiculous mandalorian history saga- just why??

if it changed the saga long term cool - but its just for a couple of episodes of a, frankly, average tv series
    love the animation love the trooper centric episodes but for respect the saga give me the micro series and eu the hell out of tcw

22. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Really enjoyed this arc, and it felt very much like Star Wars to me. The lightsaber choreography has come a long way from when the series started, and the space visuals were great. I thought the banter between Tarkin and the Jedi was interesting and provided some food for thought. Just a fun ride overall.

I consider myself a fan of the UE, even though I think large chunks are poor. But the Clone Wars comics are among my faves, along with most things DHC puts out. I very much view SW canon as an overarching story. I wish it all fit together tight as a jigsaw puzzle, but I've long since accepted that such a large body of fiction is inevitably going to have holes, either by accident or design. That has happened long before TCW, and no doubt it will continue afterward. Piell's death is unfortunate as it creates a plot issue, but I don't really think it is that much worse than many other plot issues that have occurred in the EU in the past.

I guess I am like some others here that view canon like a myth that does not have every detail exactly right, and I think that view of things helps keep my sanity...

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I caught (:oops: )something at the end that was so subtle I missed it before - when Tarkin compliments Anakin, he sort of slides his eyes left as if to indicate Obi-Wan when he says: "I wish more Jedi had your - military sensibilities."

Payback for Obi's suggestion of splitting into 2 teams when Tarkin urged strength in numbers?

24. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I just got around to watching this. It was alright. I particularly liked Tarkin & Ahsoka each having half the coordinates(bet that never gets resolved). Ahsoka being a military officer would be required to provide he superiors with the data even if they aren't the Jedi Council.

Nice to see some kind of space battle as well, though Sae Sae's "Havn't been battles like this since the Old Republic" line was horrible, making zero sense.

Lots of logic leaps in this and of course Piell's death brings it down significantly.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He's not really dead as long as we remember him.