Clone Wars The Clone Wars: Episode 320: Citadel Rescue Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Garth Maul, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    You should write for TCW. They can give the line to Sae Sae.:p
  2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    Is that the official retcon to explain this catastrophe?:p

Maybe he Force-Ghosted and his spirit got gunned down in Jedi Twilight? Hell, Starkiller was able to fry Ben Kenobi's ghost by shoving him into the Millennium Falcon's engines in TFU.:rolleyes:

And I think that would really allow us to connect with the character and all the suffering he has to go through...
    -Getting picked on for being a midget with huge ears. Who isn't Yoda.
    -Losing his eye.
    -Being given a Captain that obviously is disgusted by him and does nothing but complain and whine, and yet they are forced to pretend they are best buddies on the Command Bridge.
    -Getting captured and tortured for god-knows-how-long by a paranoid social recluse and his army of dim-witted Battle Droids.
    -Getting mauled by a rabid dog and having to entrust all his life's accomplishments to his aforementioned jerk Captain and an inexperienced Padawan who lied to her Master.
    -Getting burnt up in a river of lava.
    -Losing nearly all his Jedi buddies at the hands of the very clones he stood by and defended during the war.
    -Coming back from the Underworld to aid his Padawan and dying again for it.
    :_|:_|
  3. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    It was Dooku ordering crab droids to kill him after he fails....
  4. KelDorMaster Jedi Knight

star 2
    From the Q&A Filoni just did:

What was the third possible ending for Citadel Rescue that we weren't told about in the episode commentary? - Nicholas Byington-Wakeley and Adnan Al-Baroudi

The third ending was that Osi-Sobeck was to report in to Count Dooku that the Jedi had escaped. Dooku would then order the crab droids to execute Sobeck.

Interesting... Glad they didn't do it though. Thoughts?
  5. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    What they did was better, in my opinion.
  6. koonfan Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I agree that Sobeck's death here was the best choice. It proves ripe for discussion, it's short but sweet, and it features Tarkin being 'appreciative, but not TOO appreciative'.

Though I must admit, I would have laughed my guts out (in a good way!) to see the Bond-villain-esque death ordered by Dooku. [face_laugh]
  7. Darth_Tarkus Jedi Master

star 4
    Of the three possibilities I think they chose the best ending. I used to think it was dumb that the head guy would personally come down to do that, but now I think he may have assumed that if they escaped he'd be killed so might as well go out trying to get them instead of leaving it to droids.
  8. jedi-soon Jedi Master

star 2
    I really enjoyed this trilogy, and this ep in particular. I've never read Coruscant Nights, but I still didn't really expect Even to die. I'm kinda thinking he was chosen by the writers since he was a movie character and folks not steeped in the EU wouldn't be expecting it. I guess I did consider it possible at some point in the ep, as I caught myself wondering if Even had popped up in ROTS. His death and funeral were powerful scenes, and made the overall story worthy of the 3-part treatment.

For EU fans, this kind of thing really should be expected by now. I let go of such stuff years ago when the Marvel run was completely trumped and discarded. I still have those old comics tho, and really look forward to re-reading them, especially the early stuff. From 77-80, there was only the original film to draw from, and the influence on the comic storytelling carried that pulpy 70s feel. I keep remembering the numerous portrayals of Luke as this almost bare-chested, swaggering kinda generic hero and the only existing reference to the term Sith Lord was on a poster I had of Darth Vader... how different it all is now.

Garth, if you do step down as mod due to not being able to enjoy the show, then I'm sorry it no longer entertains you. However, you do a great service to the community either way, either by keeping the discussions in line as mod or by serving as a great example of what to do when you find yourself continually grousing over what's supposed to be entertainment.
  9. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    The catch is that everything(well as much as possible, including Marvel) was made into one continuity through the mid to late 90's. Back in 1980 there wasn't any official continuity so there wasn't anything to truly give up on.

To suggest that you caught onto changing continuity before there was an official continuity seems a little like a time travelling exploit to me.

Also, in addition to the comics, we had Splinter of the Minds Eye & The Han Solo adventures pre-1980. The Holiday Special as well..
  10. MistrX Force Ghost

star 4
    Watching this episode again, I really like that moment where Anakin volunteers to distract the pursuing creatures and Obi-Wan clears his throat, Anakin saying that Obi-Wan will "of course" be assisting him. It's an understated moment, but given my love of anything that shows the guys as "good friends" and being the top team that Stover described at the beginning of the ROTS novel, it's those little touches that I love to see.
  11. jedi-soon Jedi Master

star 2
    Actually, I didn't specifically mention a year in which the Marvel continuity was officially discarded, because I wasn't aware of it. I assumed it was probably at least by the mid-90s, when GL was firing up the SW machine again in full earnest. That was 15 or more years ago, hence my statement. However, as was pointed out earlier in this very thread, by the 1983 release of ROTJ it was apparent the Marvel continuity didn't count for much.