main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 321: Padawan Lost Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    No, it's not. The problem is that if they're going to do this type of story, there will always be similarities to other stories in the same kind of setting. But as far as I can tell it didn't blatantly rip off anything in particular, there were just some references... but there always will be.

Don't worry, it didn't. ;) I just commented on your other point. I think you'll enjoy this one too. It's also in line with EU depictions of Trandoshans.

2. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    Well exactly - and 'trapped and hunted for sport' is virtually one of the universal plots. In particular I'd be very surprised to learn of a long-running action series that doesn't have an episode where a character is thrown into this very situation. Even in SF TV alone at least three of the Star Trek series, Dr. Who, Buffy, Xena, Dollhouse even Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, all have episodes like this, that I can think of just off the top of my head. The details and the characters are what make the stories different and worthwhile - and here we have a chance to see Trando culture and tech, explore a bit of Jedi morality, and see Ahsoka take on a leadership role in a survival situation. I thought it was terrific stuff.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Haha according to newest info it was moon of Trandosha and named Wasskah- but i understand the confusion. Some preview called it "planet Iwasskah":rolleyes: It's all Jabba's fault i presume:p

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Can't wait to watch this in HD.

Anyone else catch the shot from Predator I was talking about? It is definitely intentional by Dave - those kind of minor homages I love, because they did nothing to draw attention to it.

5. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    Well well 5 new voice actors? Impressive. But honestly, can anyone identify which character is which? Jinx, Kalifa and O-Mer are the padawans, but did any of the other characters get named during this episode?
    < Dar is the young Trandoshan hunter and the son of the Trandoshan leader. If the Episode Guides on SW.com were a bit better, we might yet have an idea who these characters are.

I still don't know who Lo-Taren, Garnac (the Trandoshan leader?), Ratter, Katt Mol and Lagon are.

6. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I agree completely. We're all here because we love Star Wars. There were countless prison escape movies/stories before ANH but that doesn't make ANH any less exciting or classic. Same with "Padawan Lost".

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Except ANH is better than Padawan Lost. :p

On a smaller scale, you can't really compare a television show episode with a film. But I see if a TV show tries to utilize the same story from a film, it will be harder due to time limits if it only has around 22 minutes (on a 30-minute time slot) to get its story point across.

For me, I never said I dislike this episode, I just am sick of TCW using ideas from different sources. They put less effort into those homages and it's noticeable most of the time.

That's the end of my rant about homages.

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Not really sure if this was such an homage-heavy episode compared to some of the others, though, GG.

Mos def not Bounty Hunters or Zillo Beast.[face_peace]

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Why is it every episode discussion thread turns into 5 pages of nitpicking on a single insignificant issue? Does it really matter if the story is loosely based on a classic? Sure the very bare bones or basic concepts may be similar but everything else is different. I'd also like to say that in today's society, isn't everything based on something else? I'd imagine it'd be hard to come up with a story that is completely new and original considering how many stories have already been told in all forms of media. And all these homages - dude, the average viewer is not going to notice that a death scene or a particular camera angle is similar to one in another movie. It doesn't matter if they get inspired by actual good stories that have already been told if they then improve on it with a few new additions.
    I don't understand why some people always look for something to criticise and exaggerate the smallest thing they can find and claim the episode is horrible because of it. 'The writers have no imagination all they did was take part 1 of Jurassic Park and part 2 of Predators and slap them together.' And then you try and not sound like a complete whiner by tacking on at the end 'but other than that it was a great episode.':rolleyes:
    If you want to bitch and moan, set up a complaining thread.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    ImNotAStarWarsFanboy has a point.

11. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    I am a 17-year-old author currently writing the basic scripts for 33 novels and having finished one. In my wide range of work I am undertaking, there are countless references to numerous stories that I really can't help because they exist and are essential to plot development. I have prison escapes, feminism, adultery, refugee plights, etc. Does that mean that I lack creativity or somehow put less effort into it? No.

I am not saying that "Padawan Lost" is better than ANH. That's silly. However, there are no really "original ideas" because they are all linked in some way or another to some other idea. For another example, let's take the aforementioned "Bounty Hunters" from Season 2. "The Seven Samurai" references were quite obvious, (and they plainly stated that), but that didn't make the episode any less enjoyable.

I am not trying to get in an argument with you here. My final point is that there are no purely original ideas and that's that.

P.S. If that's the only problem with the episode, then that's really not a problem.

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    This is the problem I see, and I mentioned this before. Whenever someone likes an episode, that person expects good reviews. However, when that person sees a negative review or so, he or she begins to get defensive and starts defending the episode based on his or her beliefs. I'm not pointing at anyone, but that's what I see. Opinions differ, and just because you thought the episode was great, doesn't mean others will.

In other words, we (not pointed at me only) can't get along unless we all agree on something.

13. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    That wasn't my point. Just because I love this episode does not mean I'm saying everyone should be in love with "Padawan Lost". People trashed "Corruption" for obvious faults, like serious story and character development flaws, whereas you're trashing "Padawan Lost" for being a weird Lost/Predator combination. Considering this episode was in production before the movie was even released, your reasoning there is flawed considerably.

14. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Everything to a certain point is not original or a cliche/trope, at this point I would be more concerned if the story sucked then if it wasn't original.

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    My post was not directed at you.

And...no.

Again, I think my post defines what I see in these threads most of the time. People get defensive quite a lot if one doesn't agree with what that person said. Hence why we can't get along unless we all agree on something.

16. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    Thank you for being a voice of reason here. There are positives in every episode, regardless of how good it is. For people that specifically moan constantly about the negativity of every single episode (you know who you are), not only you do you make everything far more negative than it really is, you also become in a thorn in the sides of others on this forum who want to discuss their negatives and positives about the episode, not just the negatives.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't think that's the problem. It's expected that episodes have flaws, but constantly focusing on negative comments towards it, without a sigle positive comment about them get's tiresome to some, and makes some wonder why do these people watch the series in the first place. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and may bash whatever they like, but there's nothing wrong with questioning why do these people do it in the first place, either.

18. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Again, opinions differ. Just because I don't like something, doesn't mean you shouldn't like it either. This is pointed at me now: Whenever I share my opinion, people begin bashing it. Why? Because they cannot get a grip and actually see there's actually someone out there that is actually giving his own review based on the episode. Instead, people tend to view it as a pure nonsense post because they like the episode. When someone likes an episode they expect good reviews, but don't realize that's not 100% the case. It most likely will not be. Just because someone doesn't like something, it doesn't give one the right to bash that person.

Right now, I think I made my point clear and we should all just move along.

19. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    My final point on this. People tend to react negatively to your postings because you never have anything positive to say approximately 99.9% of the time. Most people do not enjoy or respond kindly to constant negative vibes.

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    You don't have to read my post if you see if it's negative. Granted, you haven't been here long enough, or at least not registered, but I wasn't always negative about TCW back around the first season and certain episodes in the second season. I am not a negative person, I just don't like what TCW does most of the time. These discussion threads don't have a rule that says "you have to like the episode in order to post here." Again, my posts above mention the faults with these threads most of the time.

I think we can move along now. Obviously we're (not just you) not going to agree with anything about the episode at this point.

21. EstarGuars

EstarGuars Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 20, 2011
    What a good episode! I really liked the animation and the dark story. The scene of the death of Kalipa was very well done. The name of the planet was awful as Lola Sayu was (and in spanish Wasskah and Lola Sayu are something funny like Orto Plutonia) I hope the O´Mer and Jinx would be killed. The trandoshans were good with that velociraptor vibe. Very good episode but not the best.

The only bad thing is I remember that Season Three is ending and that it was the worst season of the series.

22. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    For reference, GG's critical thinking is nowhere near as bad as the Bioware forums at the moment. For that, I find some constructive criticism on his part rather refreshing.

GG, you aren't that positive, but I do agree with a lot of your points, and I know where you are coming from.

Honestly, this is one of the tamer forums out there.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I never said otherwise.

Bashing? I don't think so. What I did was to show my disagreement with your comment.

Not true. I've agreed with you before, not just once. When I find a flaw (not nits) on some episode, even one that I like, I say it.

Again, I don't recall anyone bashing you. What I criticize is your constant negative comments without acknowledging a single merit from an episode. You're not obliged to do it, of course. But as I said, it gets tiresome, and makes us question your attitude.

Fair enough.

24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm sorry if I sounded like I was getting at anyone in particular or getting overly worked up. Life is incredibly stressful as I'm sure you can all appreciate and I have little time these days for excessive negativity.(Again, not a personal dig at anyone, it takes more than one person to create excess hate.) As much as my track record may say, I don't love every episode of this show, or assume it's perfect. For instance, I really dislike the way the Trandoshans sound in this episode, I don't think they sound nearly intimidating enough and more like some reptilian version of a really cheesy stereotypical bad guy. If I dislike something in an episode, I at least make a mental note of it.

The problem I just see is that something seemingly small gets picked up by more and more people on most threads and it inevitably spirals out of control to the point that what started out as a minor flaw is exaggerated completely out of proportion and it suddenly becomes the overriding factor that makes or breaks the episode for the people involved. And in the process people who have something a bit more important be it positive or negative to say, are sidelined and forgotten in an endless stream of hate. That's what really grinds my gears.

I still stand by my point though (and it's nice to see some people share my point of view) that it is incredibly difficult these days for even professional writers to produce a truly ORIGINAL, never-been-done-before story. And that's just for one episode. You imagine trying to write 66 'original' stories without a single bit of inspiration from an exterior source. The simple fact is that nearly everything conceivable has already been done.

25. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I noticed that the clones had some attachments on their DC-15s. They looked a lot cooler than the short barrel and long rifle variants we're used to.