main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 402: Gungan Attack Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    ^maybe gungans can breathe underwater i dunno- i guess they didn't think about it:p

Uh looks like he is unconscious when he gives him to one aqua droid- if he is okay he could escape easily- but Riff really won and he wanted Fisto alive so he can embarass him little more- too bad for Kit he is now embarassed in my eyes (escaped from Grievous and defeated by shark- not a very powerful jedi).....

Riff Tamson is probably better than Grievous underwater, but on land- he is just like a fish:p

Meena Tills received sex change that i was first unaware of- was it made for that pointless Jar Jar-joke?

2. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I agree with this. [face_peace]

That scene of the Gungans diving into the water from the star destroyer's ventral docking bay... magnificent. The preceding scene with the backdrop of the binary star system was also good.

However, I'm still bugged by Meena Tills' gender change. This was one of the few big problems with these two episodes.

3. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    A well done episode, though not quite as good as the first. Perhaps it's because it's in the middle of the arc.

+ Kit Fisto is fantastic in this episode (except when he gets captured) and the his graphics are the best yet.
    + I like the spinning Trident ships - it reminds me of the "diggers" in The Matrix: Revolutions.
    + Anakin using the Force to bring down that tower is in one word: awesome.

- Sharkman should have been cut into several pieces by Kit Fisto - not be able to neutralize/disarm Fisto.
    - Editing was choppy and jumped around at odd moments.
    - Graphics/visuals alternate from stunning to hazy/blurry - not sure why the quality swings back and forth like that.
    - Clones not featured as much as they should be.
    - cheesy moments of Jar-Jar and Prince Lee-Char

8/10

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I was also impressed with the Gungans (and this coming from someone who usually despises them). It was neat seeing two Republic species working together -- it gives you a different perspective on the scale of the war. Kind of like when two countries work together. You don't get that same feeling when you see the Clones fight.

EDIT: Sorry, Rumble! That was meant to be in response to Quango! :oops:

5. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    One thing that continued to made me disappointed was the Mon Calamari's struggling over "we have no army," when they do. I am surprised they gotten rid of the Mon Calamari Knights or just shrugged them off.
    When he says that, I am positive that he is referring to the fact that his army just got destroyed than that they are pacifists and never had one. Wherever the Mon Cal knights were, and assuming they weren't already wiped out, the survivors had no way of contacting them anyway.

6. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Indeed. I was wondering when powers other than the federal/supranational governments would get their troops into combat. This is also their war. They have a big stake in the outcome.

Perhaps the military forces of individual Republic member systems are what evolve into the non-clone forces of the Imperial military. Either that or they're crushed unilaterally by the central government's military forces between ROTS and ANH, but I would expect Palpatine to be a bit more Machiavellian and harness these systems' patriotism for his own benefit.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    It is worth of something that they made mon calamari and quarren soldiers somewhat individual and at least showed massive amount of organic vs. organic battle- war with no toys of bad guys on other side but real killing[face_skull] - and Fisto's line about slavery of both quarren and Mon cals being their destiny was nice foreshadowing- they're not gonna be slaves of Dooku though:p ....

They really get into slave-issue during this season[face_thinking]

If they ever do Civil War-era show (as they really should) it could be nice to see these TCW-characters again- what happens to them during Empire- everyone knows what happens to Ackbar though but Nossor Ri and Lee-Char- do they die in rebellion?

Clones had unfortunately very small role in these episodes.... but i think Umbara-arc may compensate that....

It's crazy how i cannot hate Jar Jar anymore- as long as he sounds like Ahmed Best i feel like [face_dancing]
    I don't want to see him but when i do- i doesn't feel like :oops:

Damn they have fooled me somehow[face_laugh]

Oh and there could've been starcruisers though that was really a bad thing they didn't have any- buildings were inspired by their looks but they should've had immense underwater-cruisers that can rise from the depths to space and become spacecruisers....

it was like that one consular-class cruiser would've been only starship on the world but maybe they built them in space....

Also floating Acclamators from Genndy's show.... i miss them:( and manta-subfighters and b1s had those minisubs that were so cute and then tridents- quarren guards should've had some....

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I watched this one a second time this morning. Liked it about the same. A couple of things.

-Its a pitty that the final part of the fight between Tamson and Fisto happened off screen but it does look to me like he simply got out numbered and surrendered or thought of a better plan that fighting them all.
    -The scene of the star destoryer swooping out of hyperspace toward the planet and then the Gungans diving out is indeed epic and some of the best animation ever in TCW in my opinion.
    -Now I understand the Gungans trashing the jellyfish.

I think its just these episodes we aren't getting much of the clones. They are taking a back seat to the Gungans which I'm fine with, as cool as it would be to see Rex and Cody go Crocodile Dundee on Tamson. There is evidence for supporting roles outside of Umbara.

9. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    One thing bothered me- we saw two "suns" when Venator arrived in the system- is Dac like Tatooine and has two suns or is it inside some starcluster or something and has only one sun but several neighboring stars that look so big they could be suns? Where did Monnk receive his name is interesting question as well....

10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I agree about the Gungans. They WERE cool and I never thought I'd be saying that.

11. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't know much about Dac really. But binary and even triple stars are more common than single star systems IRL like our own sun so I don't have any problem with that. I have no idea who came up with Monnk.

12. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    The talking underwater thing bugged me. As did everything functioning fine underwater. Except for that holotransmitter, lol.

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    ^There is no problem in that i'm just curious why they decided to add two "suns"

Nasa did find that planet with two suns lately so they are real thing, while planet of two suns may be not very good for life.....that was also a gas giant. I remember scientists have speculated that ocean worlds could exists as well:p.....

while I was not the greatest fan of these episodes they really had a nice feel of ocean world in them- it was well done by animators-plot could've been better but environment was for my liking- i can almost feel the warm water when watching the episodes. Now if they make bit better plots i can still enjoy TCW...

Yeah I guess I'm over "Tikkes-depression" now :p

-Corey Burton did nice job with this nice quarren-character Nossor Ri - would be fun to see him together with Tikkes- they are like night and day while have almost identical looks.....

Maybe we return to Dac later with bit better storyline and Tikkes being involved- who wouldn't love to see Tikkes?:p

And can they really ignore the obvious chemistry between Jar Jar and Meena Tills? They just have to show how that develops[face_laugh] and what is the mystery of Meena's sex change[face_thinking] Well I prefer idea that he is now she and that's it- i don't know how her gender is relevant in ROTS anyway we hardly see her... or him... whatever:p

And Hydroid Medusas need episode of their own:p

Well space in SW is not like real space- so why sea in SW would be like real sea?:p Some these things just are general problems in genre rather than being probs in this episode- Star Wars just has very little in common with science:p

It was awesome that Plo was silent there- just like in movies- that is the Plo Koon i like- one who says nothing[face_laugh]

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah Naboo and and Mon Calamari/Dec/Mon Cali aren't really very close together....

Jar Jar was solid, as always.[face_whistling]

Street Shark beats Fisto. Should have killed him really.[face_skull]

Ackbar might now need some rewriting. Was Coral City in this, I can't remember?

15. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    "Amphibians, with their great species diversity, utilize all sorts of methods for respiration. Some include gills, lungs, and absorption right through the skin. Many species employ more than one method, either throughout their life (gills as larvae and lungs as adults) or at the same time (lungs and respiration through the skin). Amphibians are indeed a very interesting group!"
    http://greenanswers.com/q/193118/animals-wildlife/amphibians/it-true-some-amphibians-can-breathe-through-their-skin-what-oth

Quite a few Earth-bound amphibians can breathe through their skin in or out of water, after all- even some that also possess lungs or gills. One of the reasons they need to keep it moist is because their skin is so permeable- which allows those species that breathe through their skin to do so. And we already know Jar Jar, like your average Earth frog, doesn't fare well in a desert, so I don't find this logical leap surprising.

I'm more surprised that a freshwater species like Gungans had no trouble adjusting to Mon Cala's saltwater oceans... given how permeable amphibian skin tends to be. I mean, here on Earth frogs are usually an indicator of something in their environment being off- if frog populations in an area start to plummet, you know that something's up. They're surprisingly delicate against drastic changes in their environment.

And the Gungans weren't having any trouble at all with the high salt content? I mean, sure, they're not frogs per se, but amphibians in general don't fare well against environmental change (save those that aestivate like caecillians, allowing them to survive droughts), and most FISH, less sensitive to environmental change, can't stand the transition from freshwater to saltwater. Ugh. :oops:

16. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    We're watching The Clone Wars, not the National Geographic Channel.

17. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    I loved everything about Riff Tamsen. Inlcuding the head banging. It shows that while he is a skilled and clever tactician he is a shark at heart.

18. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Then again, I wasn't the one who made the broad statement that amphibians can't breathe underwater any more than humans can, opening the way for this kind of discussion. I was just replying to that statement. [face_peace]

19. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    First two episodes for this season were cool but I swear underwater episodes do get boring.

Plus Sharkman was cool for the first episode but come on. He couldn't handle a young mon calamari prince?

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    This episode had a similar problem (for me) that Water War did: it was mostly fighting. Gungan Attack was better than Water War in this regard because it started tying in the slavery aspect (if only a little bit), which is making me think that perhaps that will be a theme that runs through the whole season (since we know a slavery arc is forthcoming). I would be in favor of that. It could be like season three of Star Trek: Enterprise, extremely episodic with one fundamental underlying motivator.

21. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Thank God FistoFan55...was reading through all these comments and I thought: what are they talking about? Kit, without lightsaber, against a shark and multiple droids. Obviously he had no choice but to surrender. Fisto won the battle, owned this episode and rocked in this two-parter. Blown away by that. Really liked the gungan involvement too, was well done. Nice to see the council, with Saesee speaking (advantage of having Dee Baker doing the voice) and no Plo for a change. Better than part 1...8/10.

22. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    Visually very impressive, some nice direct homages to the Genndy sequence, I loved Tamsen and the Gungans, Kit's movements in particular were spectacular, and it certainly held my attention throughout, but there was a lot that annoyed me too.

We're being promised increased scale over and over again, and here's a lot of great world-building design and large battles to prove it, but yet again it seems that taking one city is the same as taking a whole planet. Will we ever get some sort of montage sequence in any of these episodes that show the real scope of a planet-wide civil war?

On a similar note, Anakin (impressively) knocks out the space sensor tower... for the whole planet? And on that point, why can't the Seppies use the sensors on their own starships, or at a Quarren-held city, or at their own base? (Oh, and the sensors are apparently SONAR and RADAR, technologies restricted by the speeds of sound and light respectively, so not much advance warning of the arrival FTL starships there).

As others have said some of the voice casting choices were very poor - I find it hard to take the Prince remotely seriously when he sounds like a bad extra from The Wonder Years. Some hint of alienness, even the default Foreign Accent of the Week, would have been good. When Ackbar's RotJ voice was so distinctive and definitive, it would have been nice to see some of that reflected in the Mon Cal leader.

Also, much of the dialogue was very unimaginative: "I will kill you where you stand", said the shark man swimming around the squid man... That's the best we could come up with?

Much like The Citadel and Mortis last season, there's a lot of really great stuff here, lovely new environments, bravura animation, cool movie characters, hard-edged action with real fatalities, but it seems like because they've gone to all this effort to set everything up they're going to milk it for 3 watered-down (hah!) episodes. How much better to make 1 or 2 really fun-packed episodes (like The Dangerous Game duology last year, for example), rather than three somewhat repetitive episodes. Plus there's the added benefit that if you're not enjoying it you now there'll be something else along next week - rather than more of the same.

23. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I recall from the Clone Wars cartoon several years ago, in the episode where Kit Fisto went to Mon Calamari to face the Quarren Isolationist group, they fought against that walking turbolaser thing. During the battle, he used the Force to create a giant bubble and threw it at the vehicle. I know there's one episode left in this arc, and chances are it won't happen, but I would like to see Kit Fisto do that again.

24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Doubtful. At any rate this arc's beyond saving in my eyes.

Damn it, why couldn't we have had Umbara for the premiere? They have a much harder time ballsing up clone-centric episodes, and that arc looks like it would at the very least be engaging enough to make me want to catch next week's part.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Well, we know the Gungans can't breathe water, which is why they live in atmospheric containment domes underwater. If they could breathe water regularly, they wouldn't need to keep it out. I imagine they can hold their breath for a long time, though.