main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 403: Prisoners Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I'd actually forgotten that Season 4 had even started. But after seeing sharks on StarWars.com, I'm glad I had. :p

I think I lost any hope for this series in the middle of Season 2.

2. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    (facepalm)
    TCW is very eu-inspired. Not by much....but it is. If you going to watch this show and start assuming stuff, you need to have fair knowledge on the EU. Underwater lightsabers wasn't too hard to come across.
    Deleted Scene? Well, its deleted.
    Novel? Those never matter. Never did, never will.

"Fistofan55 you ar wrong"....couldn't have thought of a more acceptable way of saying that, could you? :rolleyes:

3. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    What I find funny is that any gains made by the heroes will be undone at the end of the war by the Empire.

"Hurray our new king for a year!!"

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Quite tragic, IMO.

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Lol at the Jaws ending.

God this episode was predictable. Not sure if I ever need to see Dooku in a hologram again.

It looked very, very good, but some forced exposition and no surprises except Gungan saliva ha ha ha.

This may have been better than Water War, but to tell you the truth, I found myself playing with my iPhone while I was watching.

Guess Anakin is going to keep on saying Snips.

Finally, hate to say I told you so but I was right about the leftover S3 episodes. Not really sure why they did old S2 eps in S3 and ditto S4, but so far I believe the only good "holdover" episode was Cargo of Doom.

6. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I just want one Separatist commander to live beyond one arc!!!!!!!!!!!! Is that too much to ask for?

7. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Predictable. A little sloppy. But the strengths I mentioned (hard fought battles, scary master villains and sympathetic antagonists) are still there, at least to me. I wouldn't give it a 10, but it's not bad. I do believe it would have benefited if each episode focused on a different aspect of the conflict like the Ryloth trilogy did. :)

I have to admit this stretched the believability of Lee Char even further. He's got the awesome Ackbar to train him, and actual battlefield experience, sure, but I'm surprised he didn't bite it.

I also find that Nosor Ri might show surprising character depth, whether intentional or not, simply by taking a look at the situation as a whole and the events that followed. The main points for my thinking so are...

+They pick someone who looks out for their interests, even in the face of late colleagues and their children. That shows that you need a certain combination of resolve and love for your people, that you can chart a seemingly harsh course regardless of who your friends were
    +At least in this case, they picked someone with enough vision to put the planet over his own people's 'safety' as lackeys for Dooku. Depending on your interpretation, that gives him traits of loyalty, personal remorse, and/or maybe standard Quarren pragmatism
    +Even when on opposing sides, Nosor Ri shows compassion to the Mon Calamari and their plight, and admits that he trusted and respected the late Mon Calamari leader. This gives him more compassion and a decidedly softer outlook than the Quarren traditionally have.
    +So does this mark him as the exception to the rule, or does it let us believe that not all Quarren are business minded hardasses who'd readily sell out the Mon Calamari at the earliest notice? Either way, it does give either the man or his species a boost in dimensions

Addendum: I'm trying to read between the lines here, as in WHY Nosor Ri was elected to represent the interests of the Quarren, so here goes
    +In the first place, Nosor Ri strikes me as someone who would be a responsible and even-handed ruler, which is good to have in general. There's also the aforementioned priority given to Quarren interests over Mon Calamari leadership
    +Alright, assuming that the Quarren are still pretty belligerent, Nosor Ri shows that they aren't blindly stupid. They elected someone who would look out for their interests, yes, but also someone who can work well with their neighbours in a more beneficial long-term relationship
    +Additionally, this is a time of war and schisms are a bigger threat than before. Nosor Ri is good for the role because he has the highest chance of uniting the people under his rule, as opposed to dividing them further
    +This in turn possibly hearkens back to the Quarren Isolation League. They could have figured "Shoot, being ISOLATED doesn't really work all that well". XD

8. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    No, it isn't. I name Mar Tuuk, Lok Durd and Whorm Loathsom.

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Good call, but then we haven't ever seen them again since their debuts.

10. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    True enough, but Tuuk hasn't shown up since, and I'm pretty sure the other two are in jail, so it would be great if they get out this season.

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    About lightsabers working underwater i think it is well established lightsabers are unique- so others have probs with water (like Obi's first saber) but before going to Dac i would modify my saber so it would work underwater- also we already saw that in ARC-troopers how it works so no probs really- lightsabers way of "working" is not really scientific anyway:p

12. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    I didn't even have a problem with the lightsabers working underwater per se, it was just after a while, there were SO many things that couldn't happen underwater, and it got distracting.

The pressure on Padme's helmet - again, you can explain away that it's some kind of weird super-plastic...but then, how was it cracked in the first place if it's so indestructible?

13. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    They literally wasted time with that pointless Padmé's helmet-stuff[face_tired] It had no importance in the plot, no excitement either "OMG she's gonna die before ROTS!?:eek: " just weird, unimaginative and boring addition to otherwise predictable story

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I thought we'd already established that all 'suspension of disbelief' moments were explained away by the 3 word phrase "it's Star Wars."

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    It is good argument but everyone can still say where they draw the line- I couldn't care less about Padmé's helmet, i'm not judging the way it acted - i'm judging the entire idea of doing anything with Padmé's helmet you know....

16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Yeah no sorry Swash, I was replying to Garth's comment instead of yours.

I should probably quote more often so this type of confusion doesn't happen again.

17. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I let the unrealisticness of the deep water science stuff go because frankly I don't expect realistic at all from Star Wars let alone a kids show like TCW. The space science is just as messed up if not worse. Actually the rules of physics, deep marine science, and space science may even be different in this fictional universe. That's how inacuracies are often explained away in SciFi, dunno about SW.

18. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Like I said, if I had a problem with suspension of disbelief I wouldn't be in to Star Wars.

But they could have just focused on Kit Fisto, who naturally would be agile underwater, rather than Anakin, Padme, and Ahsoka, who have no business doing anything Jedi-like in the depths.

There were simply too many moments of underwater errors (the chairs? face_laugh]) and they started to pile up at some point and become irritating. But it was more irritation at the writing than anything else, the biggest problem was that the arc was boring and predictable.

19. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I would've liked it better if it was just Fisto brought back to Dac instead of having random Jedi and Padme there.

20. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    @ GM: Yeah

@ GG: Yeah

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Watching this episode again, and Tamson is talking to Lee Char.

All I can think is....KILL HIM!

KILL HIM NOW!

You don't need a public execution. You have the population imprisoned. Bite off his head, and show them that this is what happens when you mess with Tamson.

tl;dr

I have a gun, up in my room. I'll shoot him.

Bang.

Dead.

Done.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I can't find the "rate the episode" thread for this episode, but...I loved it.

I loved seeing Shark Boy finally getting pwned by Lee Char--after Lee Char reunited the Qurran and the Mon Cal people.

I liked the scene in the prison camp. Kit Fisto, in his diplomatic way, telling Anakin to shut up, was great.

Padme getting water in her helmet might have been lame, but I enjoyed "Gungan waterproofing." Even if I am glad I didn't eat first. :p

My only complaint? The lighting for the battle scene was dark and murky. Nice contrast to the light in the room at Lee Char's coronation, but it made it hard to see. I wanted a clear view of Shark Boy's pwning.

23. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    This was the main reason why I wasn't able to get into it, and why I'm a bit more critical towards this arc.

24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The droids could've killed him
    Tamson could've killed him
    Ahsoka could've killed him and gained some respect out of me. :p

That whole public execution and the "prisoners" having weaponry was the most idiotic thing Tamson allowed. Terrible writing on that part.

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Usually it gets put up mid week.