main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 403: Prisoners Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Typical, isn't it? All brawn, little to no brain. :p

2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah but you'd think at the very least Dooku would be going over some kind of checklist with him at one point.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    One disappointing part about Tamson's death is that it was just way too slow. It took fourteen seconds real time for Tamson to blow up after being stabbed with the explosive. Tamson was trying to close the gap for ten of those seconds even though he was only about fifteen feet away, and it just seemed like he was swimming in place. He had plenty of time to reach Lee-Char and tear him apart, but for some reason he just never got any closer. In Jaws, the shark always starts far away and closes the distance, that is what builds tension. It reminds me of Lancelot from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, where he's just charging up the hill over and over again, except instead of finally getting there and going on a killing rampage Tamson just blows up.

The least they could have done is put a freakin laser on his head to raise the stakes.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't think Damsin (OK, I'll stop calling him Shark Boy now, although it was fun) gave the prisoners weapons?

And the public execution was to make an example out of Lee Char, and ceremoniously remove the prisoners' last hope.

Damsin was all brawn and no brain though. Except for that scene in Gungan Attack when he knew immediately that Anakin demolished that com station because he didn't want the Separatists to know that they were waiting for reinforcements. That was too much.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I liked the episode.

A lot of goofyness. Jar-Jar spitting on Padmé? Priceless. Knifebombs? Yes please! Giant thingies that crash into other giant thingies are nice too.

The bond villain was very entertaining to watch (which is really the main appeal that the dark knight holds too, not the bogus about the greatness of anarchy) chewing the scene and hamming it up. So what if he made a couple major blunders? He got carried away with poooower. Just like good ol' Palpy really.

That prince was an idiot. Makes one wonder why they bother with monarchy. Felt like a carbon copy of senator smurf too. Too much adoration for monarchy in star wars, pet peeve of mine.

The atmosphere was very nice. It really felt like it took place in the ocean and the use of lightning was good imo.

There were quite a lot of logic holes. Suddenly the combined forces are stronger than the superior separatist army? Wait what? Jedi who stand around doing nothing? The villain conveniently forgetting about the Quarren? And where did they get all the weapons? But whatever.

This episode felt like watching the old flash gordon cartoons.

7/10

6. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011

Actually, I liked that part. The sensors were just destroyed, what is the logical conclusion? The enemy is trying to disguise something.

"A communications disruption can mean only one thing.......invasion."

It went down like this:

Tamson: What's happening? Report!
    Droid: We've lost all radar and sonar scanning, sir.
    Tamson: Re-establish the connections!
    Droid: We cannot.
    Tamson: Why not?
    Droid: The building that housed the radar is gone.
    Tamson: We're blind, prepare for an attack!
    Nossor Ri: But there was nothing on the scope prior to the attack.
    Tamson: That is precisely why we must assume an attack is imminent!

If someone takes away your eyes, it's because there is something they do not want you to see. He's just guessing that it's an attack, but better safe than sorry. It would be painfully stupid to do nothing after a sudden loss of sensors. It's solid reasoning and it makes Tamson seem like he possesses sound tactical instincts.

An old real world comparison would be taking out radar towers before a bombing raid.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Or like Des and the Gloom Walkers taking out that Republic outpost on Phaseera in the beginning of POD.

8. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Just like half the missions in Ace Combat.

9. Prime_

Prime_ Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    I just assume that the show is really just giving an "executive summary" and the real discussion was much more involved and lengthy.

And shouldn't the Prince be King since his father died?

10. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I agree with you on this. The scene makes Tamson look like a masterful tactician and Nossor Ri an idiot.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I tend to think Tamson wasn't stupid since he had a few brilliant moments. He was just greedy and caught up in the power he gained during "Prisoners" feeling like the victor and the new leader prematurely. He also probably though his teeth were sharper than they were.

12. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Yup. Rush of overconfidence, a major hubris.

13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's like hostile takeover 101.

14. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    Well, the trilogy held together for me. The battles were epic and Williams themes, from SW and Jaws, were abundant. I really enjoyed the Jaws references and like to think when they do blatant homages like this that perhaps a few younger viewers pick up on it on forums like this and seek those movies out.

I can certainly see why they would kick off the season with a big action-driven arc after all the complaining about the ho-hum of season 3's first half.

15. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    Of all the plot holes in this trilogy I'm surprised more people aren't harping on the worst; Anakin not losing his sh!t when Padme was threatened. The entire scene in the torture room I was thinking, " Why isn't Anakin Force-choking or, better yet, Force-DECAPITATING this guy?" We've seen him get more worked up when Ahsoka is threatened! Just awful characterization.

I agree with the person who said that this show is feeling less and less like canon.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Anakin hid his feelings as to not give Tamson a tool to control him.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And while he didn't go completely ape****, he wasn't exactly in Jedi Zen mode either. His facial expressions gave away quite a bit, and he was squirming around in those chains a lot more than he had been, trying to get out so he could go to her.

18. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    My first reaction was that he should have been going ape****, but I'm fine with him trying to play it cool.

It shows a little maturity, and Padme was never quite at death's door. If she had been seconds from death, I'm sure he would have went all Force Unleashed on us.

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah, I also figured Anakin realized Padme wasn't going to die in 10 seconds like the rest of us so he showed a little self restraint so Tmason couldn't get the better of him. He actually started to loose it a couple times there like when the helmet was filling with water and he snapped at Jar Jar but Fisto stepped in. Perhaps Fisto's presence is one of the things that kept Anakin restrained as well. Its one thing to go ape when the ones watching you are a protocol droid, your clone captain, or even Obi-won. Another thing to do it when a member of the council like Fisto is there to see it.

20. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I would think seeing your lover's head inside the jaws of a maniac sharkman wouldn't be the sort of thing to reassure Anakin that Padmé wasn't in imminent danger of dying. He reacts as if he knew Tamson's plan of just piercing the helmet instead of simply crushing it.

21. sacharias

sacharias Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2011
    I agree that Anakin's reservedness in that scene was most likely on purpose - if Tamson realizes how much Anakin valued Padme, she'd be in even more danger. He's just being strategic, I think.

But that one scene with Tamson's jaws over her helmet... that's a head scratcher for me. The only thing I can think of is that those helmets are immensely strong (which they are), and Anakin felt reasonably sure that Tamson couldn't break through. But I agree - had it been me writing Anakin would have gone mad at that moment.

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Well I also think about it this way. Tamson wants info. His aim was psychological torture to try and make Anakin spill. What's he going to gain if he flat out kills Padme in all of 10 seconds by crushing the helmet? He needs to go much slower than that for that psychological war of the minds to work. Tamson's not a complete idiot. Anakin knew that. Even after the interrogation ended Tamson's a sadist. Its was obvious he wasn't going to kill her with his mouth, Biting her head off or crushing her skull as horrible a way to die as it is, is probably a quicker way to die than drowning which is supposed to be a painful way to die and it let the psychological torture to continue for the sake of it.

23. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    I don't know how obvious that was. Anakin could think Tamson probably wouldn't do it, but he never struck me as the guy who would keep such a level head and take his chances like that when his wife's life could very well end in the blink of an eye if Tamson simply miscalculated the helmet's strength.

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think this contradictory nature of his character made him just less believable- apparently his brain and jaw don't work at same time:p

At least they could've explained what caused destruction of Consular-class cruiser- can Tamson blow up ships with his willpower? Apparently he can but only sometimes:rolleyes: .....

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Animals generally are faily aware of their strengh. If a lioness doesn't know this she could easily kill her own cub with a single playful swipe. I think Tamson was quite aware of the strength of the helmet. In the Animation he pushes the teeth on the right side of his jaw into it. Which the teeth as designed to cut not punture like T-rex banana teeth but hey its Star Wars.

Well some sharks are actually pretty smark. The Mako Shark for example can learn quickly. A team of scientist taught one to ring a bell for meat.