main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 404: Shadow Warrior Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Sep 26, 2011.

1. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    That was my friend's reaction when I told him too.

2. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I hated everything about this episode. The worst part was that even though Grievous has defeated several at once prior to this episode a few Gungans are able to defeat him with a strategy that took 5 minutes tops to come up with.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught up on the last 3 episodes tonight (been busy and had other animated goodness in the awesomeness that is Transformers Prime's season finale).

Shadow Warriors...is a mixed bag, really. The Gungans capturing Grievous (and Tarpals' sacrifice) was actually pretty awesome (and makes sense, given their history with fighting droids/their boomer tech) and is totally going into my alt-PT fanscripts when i write them :D . Always a fan of showing the non-annoying side of the Gungans and it actually brings some relevance to TPM (well, at leats if Grievous's capture had been more permanent).

I even liked the idea of a Dooku-serving Gungan traitor (even though they'd previously explained away the Blue Shadow Virus lab as being installed during the Naboo Invasion, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a connection to be made there). And Jar Jar impersonating the Boss is at least an appropriate subplot notion for him (although I couldn't help but think back to the TPM "Jar Jar is racist" stuff when Amidala comments on the resemblance between the Boss and Jar Jar, which made me half-expect Jar jar to go "What? Are you saying we all look alike to you?"... even funnier given the number of cloned generic Gungan character models used in TPM's battle [face_laugh]).

The real problem is that the premise to let the above stuff happen makes no sense. There is no way the Gungans would ally with the CIS. Even if they had problems with the Naboo themselves, it's only been 10-12 years since their proposed allies invaded their world, try to subjugate them, drove them from their cities and killed hundreds, if not thousands, of their people in an attempt to "wipe them out- all of them!".

Those same proposed allies also wiped out a good portion of their army on Mon Calamari a couple episodes ago.

And, taken beyond the show, let's not forget the CIS performed genocide on their moon colony residents and turned them into zombies.

It's like they made up the last half of the episode first, and had no time to come up with the first half of how to make that happen plausibly, and just went with the first suggestion someone had.

Not to mention how the prisoner exchange (while a good way to resolve it) felt random, forced and, by happening in the same episode, made the capture of Grievous a non-event.

4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    He was surrounded by both.

5. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Ugh, I hate Grievous in this series. Super cheesy dialogue (though he had that in the movie too), and really doesn't seem like a great threat. I'm gonna say he had an upgrade before Labyrinth of Evil and ROTS, or something. I'd like Obi-Wan's victory over him to say something more than "he's the one that finally got that pesky rat". I suppose he did kill 4 of the elite guard, though, but he certainly didn't pass with style [face_liarliar]. Though him snapping that Gungan's neck with his foot was very cool (at least, I choose to believe he snapped his neck... there is absolutely no way he could have survived being grabbed by the throat and tossed like that by someone with super strength)

Still, as cheesy as Grievous's writing was in this episode, it didn't match the Hamlet-wannabe Calamari prince from the first three episodes.

On the contrary, I loved Dooku toying with Anakin. I think him using those guard droids was just his way of pissing him off.

On the necklace: by itself, it's pretty sloppy, cliched writing. But the convenient thing about Star Wars is you can connect these things with other things to make it seem less stupid. For example, if you've read Tales of the Jedi, it's actually pretty cool to think of the necklace as one of those artifacts that could be used for "Sith magic".