main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 407: Darkness On Umbara Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    That was his complaint.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    No he was incorrectly calling him CT. :p

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I thought it was a way to show that he doesn't care about his rank and name.

4. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    That was what I came up with after briefly glimpsing that on the Wook. Rex looked like he was trying to correct him, but kept being interrupted, at least from what I remember.

5. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Garth, I could punch you for bringing up the whole CT thing again, after it had finally died down.... [face_beatup]

Next thing you'll wonder whether Fives is a cardboard character or not.

6. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    [image=http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r36/DeLos23/DeadHorse.jpg]

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Damn frozen internets

8. FistoFan93

FistoFan93 Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 27, 2009
    Exactly. In his view he was just a trooper. It was on purpose. It's ashame though, because a TRIVIA SECTION or a COMMENTARY could have cleared this up for us! Oh well..

9. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Settle down, people.[face_shame_on_you] :p

I was asking a question, I said I didn't have time to read through all 15 pages. I can see why someone like GG, who is a purist, would get irritated. It's just another one of those examples where we have to try to find an in-universe answer.

Glad there was enough discussion to get to 16 pages.

10. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    One thing I don't think was brought up in the thread, maybe someone can help me out: why were the Umbarans required to wear gas masks on their own planet?

Wouldn't the clones be more likely to have trouble with the atmosphere?

EDIT: Also just have to point out, for all the negativity LACWAC has shown towards the first 6 episodes of Season 4, it's been pretty unanimous praise for this episode. When they actually deliver on their hype and potential, we're not slow to praise them.

11. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I'd rather people didn't make such a big thing of all us nay-sayers suddenly writing positive reviews.

12. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yes, for everybody who's always so quick to ask "why do you keep watching the show?" whenever someone complains about the state of the series.... THIS is why.

13. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It has been discussed a fair bit. I don't think there is any kind of consensus, but in my opinion the most plausible explanation is that they don't, and their helmets are just filled with something else, like emotion suppressing drugs or perhpas just some glowing stuff for illumination.

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    It's some kind of mind control drug, basically the Umbaran equivalent of Rish Loo's necklace.

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    When Umbaran's mask is broken he babbles something but probably asks for mercy[face_thinking] but he didn't seem to suffocate... supporting other theories of mask's purpose that also make more sense. Most confusing thing is that Sly and Deechi had no problem with oxygen-atmosphere on Coruscant[face_thinking]

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I was more thinking about the Battle of Mogadishu. Pretty much the only reason the local militia fought so hard against the Americans despite lopsided casualties (18 Americans vs 2,000 or so militia) was because they were on drugs that made them very aggressive and less able to feel pain and fear.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I kinda thought the Umbaran was cussing out the clone, but whatever works for ya. :p

18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I thought that Umbaran was completely freaking out and in pain. He was acting like acid had been thrown on his face when Fives broke his helmet.

19. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yup, my thoughts exactly. "you jerk, I'm choking to death"[face_frustrated]

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    There is a more high-tech version of the same thing in the pilot of Star Trek: The Next Generation where there are troops from what is Earth's future to us but its past on Star Trek whose armor was set up to regularly inject them with drugs for basically the same purpose.

21. KeltheDor

KeltheDor Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 21, 2011
    Kix did have a moment where he told Rex that the men were tired. Atleast he stayed a medic, this made me happy. Although it seems weird to have a medic on board when every weapon seems to have an instakill effect on people.

On the issue of the gas, that confused me too. I hope that gets explained in future episodes.

22. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    This episode was by far the best in terms of combat scenes, and animation. CGI has come very far with this Star Wars series, and I've always loved how George is able to challenge, and push technology foward. I'd also like to compliment Dee Bradley Baker on his superb acting skills I've been a fan of him since I was a kid.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I think Baker should write a manual-style book on the clones after this, or at least an article for the OS. He puts so much effort into distinguishing the voices of each one that he must spend more time than anyone else getting inside their heads. It would be neat if he did some sort of guide covering each one (or rather, the most important ones -- by the time he's done with this show, I'm sure we'll have seen several dozen clones).

24. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    You mean in addition to the video he did?

25. Butters4115

Butters4115 Jedi Youngling

Mar 14, 2009
    I know, I'm really glad they kept him a Medic. Its the only thing that really separates him from other clones right now. I hope he, Jesse and Hardcase live through this arc. If one of them does die, then I hope the other two are more affected by the death then the rest of the battalion, to reflect their past together.

Still, does anyone else wonder why Hardcase is so drastically different from the last time we saw him?