Clone Wars The Clone Wars: Episode 408: The General -- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Barriss_Coffee, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    Holy ;($&

As crazy as it sounds to use the adjective 'realistic' for a cartoon set in this world, has a show aimed at younger viewers ever had more realistic combat?
    The one CT screaming in pain as he was moved... that was almost brutal in a way. The direction was fantastic. I wish some of the combat scenes in AOTC had been that intense.
    That and of course the callous execution. That was like a scene out of Full Metal Jacket.

At first I thought, "This is too much for kids."
    Then I thought about the stuff I watched in the 80's where war was portrayed as a party where no one gets hurt despite 100,000 rounds being discharged. So maybe showing the ugly side/truth isn't so bad.
  2. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Jedi can leave the order if they so chose. Dooku did that before Ep2, and while the Jedi weren't overjoyed by it, they did nothing about it and allowed him to follow his new separatist lifestyle. Also, Anakin was threatened with expulsion in Ep2, so that shows us that Jedi are not bound to the order so inextricably.
  3. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Yeah, I think this is an episode I'll skip watching with my niece for a while.
  4. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Didn't you say you let your niece watch John Carpenter movies?

Anyways, this episode follows the same pattern that happened in Supply Lines, except here the execution was spot on. The clones are holding out while their aid gets the stuff they need. Here, there was way more tension, since we were using developed characters and putting them in a serious situation.

Comparing Rex with Keeli and Ima Gun Di, the scene with the Clones being overrun by the spider artillery is much more intense than watching a Jedi names "I'm gonna die" and a clone named "Kill me"
  5. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Quentin Tarantino actually, Kill Bill vol 2. But mostly its the adult animated comedy shows she's 'accidentally' watched. <<;
  6. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    You just don't want your niece bugging you while you're trying to watch.

Same here.

(I got it)
  7. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    lol. That one of the reasons why I won't let her watch this episode. She is obsessed with Ahsoka and the last few she asked me where Ahsoka was the entire time although her ability to tell apart the clones is remarkable for an almost 4 year old IMO. For the most part she picked them out by herself. My 15 year old brother can only tell apparent Rex and Cody. But my niece already has Jesse, Hardcase, Dogma, and Fives down. Still working on Tup and Kix. She can also tell apart Waxer and Boiler in "Innocence of Ryloth". Makes me a proud aunt. xD
  8. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    What do you do? Do you lock her in the cupboard while it's on?
  9. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    So far she hasn't been over since "The General" has aired. I'm probably being over-dramatic about that considering the 3rd time I watched this episode. I decided to go for the full cinematic experience thinking no one was home. Then around the time the big caterpillar tanks attacked and their noises were rattling the windows in the house harder than the earthquake in Oklahoma my drunken roommates and their buddies came in to see what was up and started watching with me. They forced me to backtrack to "Darkness of Umbara" for them and restart this episode for them after that. Asked me so many questions I thought my head would explode then one of the buddies talked me into loaning him $150 worth of TCW blu-rays. -.-;
  10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    Hahaha, he's gonna be in for a surprise if this is his first impression.
  11. GGrievous Prequel Trilogy Trivia Version 2.0

Game Host
    star 5
  12. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Yeah, my roommates are sorta familiar with the show the rest not so much. Kinda a help really since a bunch of drunk guys who've never really seen the show trying to tell apart a bunch of clones painted blue is pretty funny. - "Rex, the horny one." -- xD

I agree it wasn't a good idea to loan the one guy the movie and all three seasons at once although he insisted. Kinda miffed he didn't want to watch them with me actually. I thought I had chemistry with the guy who borrowed them. Oh well. They'd better come back without a single scratch.
  13. rumblewagon Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Perhaps you should have shown them "Mercy Mission" and "Nomad Droids" while they were in that drunken state of mind. They might have believed they were watching the best TCW episodes ever!
  14. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Shhh... don't want them to know the rest of the season 4 episodes so far are still on my DV-R.
  15. Dark Lord Tarkas Force Ghost

star 4
    Check eBay regularly till you get them back.
  16. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    (Going back to the slavery thing) It is interesting that both Jedi and clones have the decision made for them.
    Jedi grow up knowing no other life than that of a Jedi so you could say they're somewhat brainwashed.
    Meanwhile clones are also born into the life and brainwashed, but they're also genetically engineered to be obedient, diminishing (but obviously not erasing) their free will. That seems a horribly insidious form of slavery.
  17. InterestingLurker Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, they can customize their own armor if they want to... That's gotta count for something.
  18. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Terribly complicated way to explain irrational thing but whatever- anything makes sense if we think about it so much and come up with own explanations- yours makes sense but is not a good one because it needs this backstory that is completely fanon-

Also they seem not to use helmets to protect themselves from outside air no- they have extra gas in the armor and they won't need that gas on Coruscant- why they need extra gas on their own home? Did they accidentally remove gas from atmosphere? There is no green gas in Coruscant atmosphere either.... why they need it? I prefer stimulant-explanation
  19. CaptainYossarian Force Ghost

star 3
    One thing I?m not sure about is why some people (including the TFN review) seem to think there should be more explanation given as to why the Republic is invading Umbara. If they?re in a war then surely on a basic level their reason for attacking is simply to ensure that the planet can no longer aid the enemy, or to capture it as a strategic location, or to use its resources for themselves.

It?s unnecessary to have too much of a specific reason and in some ways it?s better if there isn?t. Then the campaign is just being done for basic military reasons and furthering the Republic?s war effort as part of the wider conflict. That?s as much as you need for an explanation ? it?s a battle in a war. And the Umbarans have got some pretty tasty weaponry so attacking them as soon as possible so they can play no further part in the war seems like a good idea.

And then there?s the wondering about why Palpatine recalled Anakin to Coruscant. Whilst that might be something that comes up later it seemed to me to just be a way of removing Anakin from the scene in order to tell the story of Krell taking over. So at most it seemed like it was a moment that referred to Anakin and Palpatine?s relationship in a general sense rather than something specific that was going to be a big part of the story. It struck me as something that will probably never be mentioned again. It could be ? but I wouldn?t be expecting anything, which is why I don?t wonder about why it happened.
  20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    I think they meant more in the sense of why has Umbara, a long standing member of the Republic, fallen or defected all of a sudden to the Separatists.
  21. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 6
    I liked Darkness On Umbara and The General... looking forward to seeing the rest of this arc. Great action and great insight into the clone troopers. General Krell is such a jerk so far... at times I was thinking that Rex and/or his troopers are going to be asking where Krell is when they get Order 66 relayed to them. :p
  22. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    As Padme points out in Heroes on Both Sides, most of the Separatists (maybe with several exceptions... Geonosis?) were members of the Republic at one time. They all left due to the corruption of the Republic.

I don't think any big explanation is required, especially since the characters in universe would all know the reason, so they would have no reason to talk about it (and therefore the audience won't know). Unless it had been mentioned in the opening reel, I don't see any good opportunity in which the issue would come up (or why it would need to).
  23. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Of course Umbarans join seppies after all these glorious victories Grievous and droids have gained - hey that's obvious what are you thinking people?:cool:

Or then they are like Talzin- helping those in need without any clear reason[face_laugh]

Umbarans probably have political reasons to do this but I don't even want to know what they came up with- if they explain it- If politics and TCW-writing are combined we will get a lot of Padmé or Jar Jar and probably some dead smugglers......no thank you[face_worried] .....

I guess Umbara have internal conflict going on all the time and death of Mee Deechi (who was probably corrupt) launched the series of events that lead to defection to CIS- not all umbarans need to be involved- maybe some politically radical militaristic wing saw opportunity to take power after Deechi died and decided that CIS is better ally than Republic-(I guess Deechi just gained money to himself more than really represented his people) or then some party that opposes entire republic system just saw that enemy of their enemy is their friend.....
    Or then that is "mind control gas" in their armor and evil plot of CIS revealed in the last episode when Dooku (holo of course) slips the magic words "Good. Everything is going as planned" and ta-da nothing goes as planned[face_laugh] .....

Damn I'm "funny" today... sorry

BTW Do you think Deechi was allied to Kaminoans because he represents this manufacturer of modern weapon technology and sells weapons to Republic- but seems that they keep best weapons themselves and won't sell them to Republic.... whatever just came in to my mind that maybe these are intentional things that Deechi was pro-republic and his people are not....but if umbarans have these weapons why they didn't use them for the Republic before this?
    Answer: no one ever thought about it....
  24. CaptainYossarian Force Ghost

star 3
    Since the Republic has its own army with the clones, planets like Umbara probably wouldn't want to send their own people into battle, rather keep them back to defend their homeworld. They may have the attitude that if other planets are not sending any troops, then why should they use their army and equipment to help the whole Republic. Also, any local army would not be part of the Grand Army and so it might be difficult to determine how to use them. Where do you send them and who commands them? Umbarans might not want to just be sent to kill any old species just because they're in the CIS.
  25. jedi-soon Jedi Master

star 2
    This ep had a really gritty you-are-there feel in the shots. The action played out nicely. Character beats were rather redundant from the previous entry, but as everyone is saying, it's all leading up to something. I worry for Rex!