main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 408: The General -- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    "respect my authoritah!!!!"

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Seerow or someone else mentioned the possible repetition here:

Krell "go do a direct assault on the fort"
    Rex "no, that's suicide"
    Krell "obey my orders or die"
    Rex "sir you're not thinking right"
    Krell "opinion noted"

That's really my only fear for the arc - 4 episodes is a lot, especially given the history of poor or inconsistent writing they've had.

For the first time in a while, I am pretty curious about what will happen to Krell. Is he a double agent? Will he be killed by the clones in an act of treason? Is he simply a Jedi that has gone sideways?

As I said earlier, I'd prefer to see Krell simply be a misguided or insane Jedi where the war has taken its toll on him, rather than a double agent. The double agent is such a cliche and I think it's far more powerful to have this Jedi have severe problems rather than simply be working for the other side.

A la Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now.

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Or like General Hoth in Path of Destruction.

4. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I actually suspect Krell is a double agent myself. The look he gave Anakin when he got on the gunship to leave. That wasn't because of any unjedi like emotions Anakin showed. I saw some jealousy and hatred there. Unjedi-like... which is kinda cool.

I don't remember saying the arc was repetitive yet. But I suspect there will be more back and forth between Krell, Rex, and Fives which in my opinion has some interesting interplay.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Krell is officer for sure- but he is not at all what jedi is - that is the thing- he is first jedi who is really like military officer and as a jedi he is kinda hard*ss and flawed then- jedi are not suitable for military officers anyway- And he almost slices a clone. Terror is not a weapon that jedi use- and he used it...

Krell as a double-agent idea is interesting- but kinda disappointing really... I would like to see that he just is a republic officer and jedi but still like that. He may be Palpatine's tool though- It may work that way as well[face_thinking] but if he suddenly contacts Dooku via hologram I'm very disappointed:oops:[face_plain] Well even that can work in theory, but I would like to see that he is no way traitor but fanatic republic officer like Tarkin.

Better that way- more original character than another sadistic monster with Dooku holding his leash:oops:

6. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    THIS is the picture I was talking about that had the NEW clone. For those who didn't know.

7. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    ^Appo?:p Yeah no way- that would be like seeing Tikkes in TCW- too awesome to be true...

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Apparently this clone has mastered airbending.

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

Good catch. Maybe Dave colored this one. xD

10. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The fortune cookie in 407 suggests that the audience's opinion of Krell should be negative. Also, I agree with Seerow that Krell was ultimately dismissive of Rex, even if he gave him a faux compliment.

IMHO, this arc is illustrating how the war has compromised the Jedi ideals. Whether or not Krell is a good General is beside the point--he's a bad Jedi. Compare with Plo Koon, who values his men's lives and is rewarded with loyalty; Krell sees his men (literally) as numbers--he's a precursor to the Empire's approach to warfare.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Totally, Rex knew Krell was screwing with him. He's a smart cookie. Infact when Krell dismissed him and walked away I don't think Rex looked like he wanted to punch something because he was ticked off at Krell. I think Rex was angry at himself for kinda going off on him. Listen to the tone in his voice when he says -- "Its hard to tell..." -- Even though it wasn't really all that unreasonable IMO. What set Rex off was when Krell pull his lightsaber on Fives. That whole sequence was supposed to make the viewer just loath Krell.

12. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Please no! If Krell turns out to be the misguided Jedi the fans want this could be the best arc of the series, if he's another turncoat he will be just another one-dimensional villain. I don't think that would happen though, considering the little details thrown into Darkness on Umbara to suggest he is a manic Jedi. Notably the shot where he stepped on the winged creature, it's a stark contrast to Yoda letting birds land on his finger in Ambush.

13. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah, I think a double agent would be more subtle about it. He'd try to gain the troopers' trust before giving them orders that would benefit the enemy.

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its not like the troops have realized that exactly or would be likely to figure that out even now IMO. Fives may think Krell is full of bad ideas but he hasn't questioned whether Krell is behaving strangely for a Jedi. As an ARC Trooper working on special assignments. It stands to reason he has worked under a wide variety of Jedi and commanders. None of them are questioning this. Krell is still definitely going to get played as a misguided Jedi whether a double agent or not.

15. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Unless there's some major misdirection going on, I don't see Krell being a double agent. Keywords in the fortune cookies: "trust", "loyalty", "fear", "ignorance". IOW, Krell is misguided and unwittingly making the wrong choices (from the POV of the show's morality), not consciously sabotaging the troops' efforts.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I've been wrong on the Internet before lol. That's my gut feeling based on Krell's short interaction with Anakin. He's not going to do anything to obviously sabotage the republic effort, indeed his full on strategy could be the correct one and work so why would it seem like he's killing troops just to cull out the republic forces? Krell being a double agent is likely something that wouldn't be revealed until the last part, if the arc ends up following TCW's normal formula unfortunately.

17. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah, that's my opinion too. I just think they overdid it a little by making him express anti-clone sentiments. If they'd have waited with that, and if his strategy would work, it would give him more credibility.

I would have preferred if they waited a little with the revelation of his darker side.

But they're establishing this pretty early, so apparently it's needed. With this kind of pace, I'm really wondering where we will be at the end of the arc, with 3 episodes to go still. I'm hoping the pace doesn't go down in the 2nd or 3rd episode, like it did in the Nightsisters arc.

18. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Looks like an exciting episode! Looking foward to watching it.:)

19. Fistofan55

Sep 7, 2009
    ZOMG! I get it now!!!

Appo = Appa

That is Appo!!! Appa does have an arrow afterall!

@Swash: Heh, yeah. Too bad about Tkkes. :p

20. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I don't think he's a double agent... he also seems to have a huge reputation.

I hope (and think) we're finally getting to see how the war is corrupting the Jedi.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    So your cool with that homage then? =P

22. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Why does Appo have a pauldron...

23. Fistofan55

Sep 7, 2009
    Couldn't tell ya right now. I need to see if there is anymore "homages" to his design or characterization.
    If there isn't, it's perfectly fine. Just small fun by TCW team.

If there is......I could go on another potential fanrage.....

Besides, Appo will likely look different once he is....you know....commander in Rex's place. :p

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Appo? Well I wouldn't bet on it[face_thinking] but it is possible- Appo could be Krell's favorite of some kind- loyal *sslicker while Rex would be contrarian..... but thing of battalion/legion and captain/commander are disgustingly illogical in TCW:oops: -

Captain Rex shouldn't have right to lead entire battalion (not that we would even see so many men) Majors are in charge of battalions according to EU-info- why to overwrite working ranking system and replace it with confusing terms that have no internal logic? If Appo appears he probably is sergeant or something- TCW have apparently removed "clone majors" from their confusing ranking system and captain now leads entire battalion... that is also smaller than it should be8-} ..... but 501st legion is still legion not battalion but whatever- they have no idea of military terms....

Sorry I've been whining about this already:p but I had to say it again when I thought about rank of Appo (I still think he is not Appo but well.... just maybe he is)

OMG new "databank" also says Commander Cody is leader of the "Ghost Company" (like he would be nothing else) LOL HE should have entire legion in his command - Ghost Company was mentioned on Ryloth so it can be Cody's best company he personally leads, but he should've more of companies under his direct command... and 212nd is battalion... LOL logic and clone ranks have nothing to do with each other[face_laugh]

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I believe the clone being discussed is the one holding the hologram, not the one in the hologram with the pauldron. The one in the hologram is Rex. There is a picture in the OS slide show in the episode guide that shows the hologram discussion from Rex's end of things.