main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 408: The General -- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Oct 31, 2011.

1. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I think I might of liked this even more then Darkness on Umbara, another very impressive job. Fives shined once again, so glad to see it.

I'm gonna watch it again later before I post my full thoughts.

2. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Awesome episode.

I was laughing along with Fives and Hardcase man. Woo! :D

3. Kuag

Kuag Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Another great episode. Two in a row. What do you know?

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I didn't think TCW was capable of awesomeness of this magnitude. :eek:

Yeah, I don't think we have to worry about him -- he's a ROTS character.

5. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Sergeant Appo? [face_plain]

6. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    The best part about that was that they had no idea what they were doing for the first 20 or so seconds and even while blasting the tanks they barely knew, it's not like they jumped right in and just took off.

7. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    Other then that he was trained by Alpha, which can be looked over, I actually don't think there is anything on him before ROTS.

Not to mention I think it's nothing but a glorified cameo at this point. Still pretty cool though.

8. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    I was too... It's not often that I laugh during the Clone Wars but I was having a great time watching this episode!

Anyway, once again a spectacular episode!

9. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    About those Umbara fighters, those came straight from Iron Man. That's what I initially thought when I saw them.

10. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    There was something very 'everyman' about this episode. I'm not a clones fan so I wasn't that into it, but the bubble flying was fun, more fun than TCW usually does, and that ending was pretty cool. Rather foreboding.

11. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Man this episode was brutal though.. clone crushing. :p

And seemingly for the first time.. wounded on the battlefield.. and a medic pulling them from danger.

TCW.. keep this up.

I also loved Hardcase's "You gotta point..;D"

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Visually, it was great.

Story wise, [face_plain] basically on Krell's stupidity

I'll get my review up soon. I can't stand Krell anymore.

13. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I have a feeling that Krell will demote Rex and put Appo in place as leader of the 501st. I'd actually like that, having Rex as a "freelancer" working smaller missions with Anakin. I guess we'll see where this goes...

Anyway, unbelievable episode. I can only wonder why TCW makes lackluster episodes when they could all have quality like this! And by that I don't mean animation, I mean consistent, meaningful characterization. I loved the differences between Rex and Fives: Fives has no programming and is completely independent, while Rex is a free thinker who chooses to follow a code of honor. I also liked the continuation of the ROTS-ing of the clones that began in Mercy Mission, specifically when the trooper shot the wounded Umbaran because he "had no juice". Very coldhearted for a hero.

Surprisingly, the one character I felt was lacking was Krell. Still no explanation for his actions, he just keeps repeating to the clones how much he loves full frontal assaults. Hopefully he gets a little more depth because he has the greatest potential of any character in the show so far!

14. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh, that's what I thought, then I saw this episode. [face_tired]

15. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    I doubt it, Appo had a glorified cameo and has had no character development. Not to mention I don't think Anakin would allow it, he is the General in charge of the 501st not Krell. Remember he is in temporary command and that's it. When Anakin returns(at the end of the arc) he goes away.

16. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    Or arrested/shot in the face by a pissed of Rex/Fives/clone/Anakin :p

17. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Haha, I agree with GG but I haven't given up hope yet! The shot of Krell's fiery eye rubbed me the wrong way, however. I hope he doesn't turn out to be a Sith apprentice, Separatist agent or any of the other usual TCW villains. [face_worried]

18. SpecialOpsUnit

Sep 1, 2007
    Or that too.

19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    The fiery eye closeup reminded me of Mortis.

20. Kuag

Kuag Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    I thought the same thing, but I'm holding out hope that Krell winds up turning to the dark side and the 501st being forced to put him down...so to speak. That would be a great twist.

Sitara likes this.
  21. fistofan1

Dec 8, 2009
    Krell could potentially put Rex on trial for insubordination, depending on the degree of Rex's offense. That would make for an interesting arc.

22. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    AHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I was right about that clone being Appo!

Anyway, this was clearly the best episode to date! I mean, COME ON! Visually it was awesome. The story worked. The characterization was fantastic. I wanted more!

Pros:
    -the Umbarans are unimaginably awesome. They've got everything.
    -Vehicles
    -vehicles
    -vehicles
    -Oh and more vehicles
    -Fives and Hardcase are really shining. I like this alot.
    -emphasis on Kix and his role. That's good. It was really emotional.
    -Stunning explosions. This is top-of-the-line-animation.

Cons:
    -The Krell fire eyes was kinda dumb but otherwise.....nothing

This episode deserves more than a 10/10. It should be a 11.5/10! Plenty of re-watch value! :D

@TCW team: Why can't the whole show be like this?!

I'll have to come back later once I've sucked in all the detail.....

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Overall, I was disappointed with this episode. I liked the impossible-challenge premise and there seemed to be more realistic casualties of war, but I don't think it added to the intrigue of the previous episode. If anything, this episode was slower and less climactic than the previous episode. Darkness on Umbara had the story advancing with the physical advancement of the troops, I felt like the only story advancement in The General was the physical advancement of the troops. I kept waiting for something more to happen between Krell and the clones, but it never did. I didn't dislike it, I just didn't feel like a lot had happened.

24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    A few things that I dislike about Krell in this episode is that he did the exact same thing as last week. He sat and watched the clones, using binoculars, and criticized them. Not only this, the guy was talking about his "all out forward assault" from last week, was basically beating the clones over the head with it, and yet he only sends a little clones at a time to attack. Where's your all-out attack, buddy? If his attack is soo crucial for him, and he's such a renowned general and apparent Jedi Master, why isn't he in there fighting too?

So, yeah... [face_plain]

25. Drunk_Lando

Drunk_Lando Jedi Master star 1

Oct 19, 2010
    The episode looked great. Like the atmosphere of the planet. But the story is horrible. There was too much illogical action that ruined all tension.

-Krell and the clones are pinned down by the Umbarans in the beginning. Obi-Wan tells Krell he needs him to attack the airbase, and Krell says he'll do it. Next scene, Krell and the clones are on the march and the Umbarans are gone. WTH?!! First, where are the Republic starfighters from the last episode, and why can't they locate and destroy the airbase. Second, what happened to the firefight between Krell and the Umbarans. The Umbaran's homeworld is being invaded, they have an entire clone unit pinned down, and they.........let the invading army go?

-Rex tells Krell he wants to send a scout team in first. Krell says there is no time and orders a full frontal attack. But in the end of the episode, we find out Krell was holding back most of the unit and sent them in only after Fives and Hardcase attacked the airbase. So Krell did in fact send a scout unit in first?

-If this airbase is suppose to be the major resupply point for the Umbarans defending the capital, why is the base so inactive. Their planet is being invaded, their capital is being threaten, there is an enemy unit engaging with their forces nearby, but the Umbarans at the base act like nothing important is going on.

But, I did find this episode better than the last one. So, maybe they will keep getting better as they go on.