main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 411: Kidnapped -- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Call me Captain Obvious I guess. =/

Does that make this a temporary bad guy victory? Darts successfully outsmarted the Jedi and republic forces long enough to where now the Jedi have to waste time trying to find out where the colonists are. Sure he was captured, the keys to the ship, and those disguises came easy. I didn't read the comics but I do see lots of potential for this arc. Its no Umbara but could get pretty dark. Even beyond what I selfishly want for the clones (even after four episodes of them) and know probably won't happen. This slave labor taken by Dooku himself might have been kidnapped to build Grievous's super weapon. Perhaps that super weapon of Grievous's is something he won't be around to see completed much less walk on. Maybe we'll get a peak of this.

2. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Moments? Ten planetary rotations?

The Death Star was a credible threat.

No, it was sarcasm. :p I guess I wasn't too thrilled about that dude possibly getting away, after sitting through an entire episode centred around a threat which I knew to be fake from the beginning.

That still doesn't explain why you said there was tension with respect to the bombs. Tension for the characters isn't the same thing as tension for the viewers who know better.

Yeah, I meant the slaver dude. That thing was cool.

3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    We knew that the Togrutas had probably been taken away to be slaves because we knew this was the beginning of the Slavery arc.

The only mentions of slavery in this episode are Anakin's past/the dude being of a slaver race, the dude beating up Obi-Wan and ranting about the history of his people and the Jedi, and then again at the very end after the slaver dude is captured and says his queen wants to bring back the slave trade and its mentioned in the Jedi Council scene.

What we're used to in TCW is the CIS occupying worlds. They intern the populations on their own planet and set up war encampments (unless they have a military that goes along with it, think Ryloth versus Umbara). When the dude tells the battle droids to round up all the colonists, there is every reason to expect they'll do what they always do and no reason to expect they're taking them away to be slaves unless you know OOU that this is the beginning of the Slavery arc. Yoda's reaction at the very end implies this is something they haven't encountered yet in the Clone Wars, and we definitely haven't seen it yet in TCW. We knew from spoilers they were being rounded up to be enslaved but that is not mentioned in the episode until much later.

4. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Shows always have to accommodate for the one person that didn't know anything about each episode prior to watching it. You're missing the point of what it is to be a TV show if you think it's a humongous problem that the issue is left so ambiguous throughout the episode even though the basic plot and script have been out in the public eye for 2 years already.

5. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Actually Rex ("I don't like it. The Seppies have never been shy about using Civie's as living shields".) and Ahsoka to an extent were both suspicious the colonist were missing right before the speeder chase. Heh, maybe that's the connection to Umbara, Rex is now the smarter than two Jedi combined. Both voiced their concerns and were dismissed by Anakin and Obi-wan. The notion they were gone was mentioned IU right there. Anyways it doesn't matter, the story required the viewer to have the knowledge of where the colonist were because the episode IMO was not about if the colonists were missing or not. It was about Dart stalling the Jedi as long as he could and tricking them into hunting the bombs. That's an IU explanation why the bombs were not well hidden although it doesn't work to explain why they could be disable by being slashed with a hot sword. This also gives motive for why Dooku said he wanted them taken alive IMO.

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Rex's suspicion is so general that it doesn't directly imply that all the colonists could have been taken off-world. He's just suspicious that they're not being used as human shields, that could mean anything. Ahsoka is more directly onto something when she notes that no one's around, but it is quickly rationalized and the idea that maybe all the colonists have been taken off-world is never brought up. She's suspicious that there's no one where they are, and when the slaver dude sets off the first bomb and tells Obi-Wan that there were no colonists in that building but there could have been that alone could explain why the town they were going through was deserted without ever needing to think that the entire planet could be deserted.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Rex is speaking from experience. He knows that if the colonists are there, they'd see them out in the opening. But he's not going to press the matter, he's still a yes man. That's a specific reference to Ryloth. I really wish they'd given the line to either Cody, Boil, or Obi-wan himself. Ahsoka was suspicious as well and her opinion carries much more weight but that all went away with the distraction of the biker droid attack. Either way the plot is about the Jedi not realizing they are too late being snowed by Darts with Dooku's instigation.

8. sacharias

sacharias Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2011
    Practically speaking, Rex and Ahsoka both made valid observations, but there was no point arguing the matter - they didn't have anything conclusive. Ahsoka felt things were just too quiet (possibly a bit of Force perception - maybe she sensed a general lack of "vitality" in the area) and Rex knew that the Seps would generally take advantage of the local population to structure their defense. But neither Rex nor Ahsoka could "prove" that the colonists were actually gone completely (nor would they have been inclined to believe they were), so the mission went ahead as planned.

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    ^I can agree with that. I still really think Dooku was expecting them and using Darts, fueling his rage all in a plan to stall the republic forces long enough to make a cleaner break. By the time the bombs were diffused and Darts was captured. The captive colonists were long gone and the C.I.S. had a big head start. Its unfortunate the villain spilled some beans again and pointed Anakin and Ahsoka into the right direction. But the heroes still have to jump more hurtles to catch up than straight up going right to crashing the party. I still am hoping this is going to tie into Grievous's super weapon.

10. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    Actually, thats EXACTLY how the Emperor died. The Big Bad of the Star Wars universe was undone because he took just enough time before finishing Luke.

11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Emperor destroyed the Jedi Order and took over the galaxy while barely lifting a finger.

He earned his laughs.

12. MarkVader1991

MarkVader1991 Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2010
    And then he allows a farm boy with a brief crash-course in Jedi training to hinder him.

But that?s the point, isn?t it?

13. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    "Your overconfidence is your weakness." They spelled it out for us like twenty-eight years ago, so I'm not sure we should be so surprised now when a man capable of taking out the whole Jedi Order gets skunked because he got overconfident and let his guard down. It happenes to lots of people who nonetheless have a lot of successes under their belts, and even more who don't. Palpatine is a mastermind, but EVEN HE IS HUMAN, AND SUBJECT TO HUMAN WEAKNESSES.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    It appears I was too malleable and allowed H_J to convince me too easily. You guys are exactly right about Palpatine.

15. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I just watched the episode. I went into the episode completely stoic so I couldn't really like or dislike anything with any passion, and I ended the episode pretty much the same way.

I like the marching B1 battle droids, I like anything that calls back to the Battle of the Grassy Plains.

I liked the biker battle, I just thought it was a little too slow. The way they were able to jump back and forth made it seem like they were at trolling speed.

Interesting that the slaver had a Russian accent.

I liked the sniper droids, and that whole scene.

Maybe my memory just hasn't kicked in, but I think this might be the best team work I've ever seen from Anakin and Ahsoka. Usually they're really chaotic and arguing the whole time, but they just seemed a lot more in sync this time, like they were moving as one.

As for Obi-Wan getting his ass kicked, obviously he was taking a dive, but I didn't see why taking a dive was necessary, other than they wanted to play out the bomb disarming sequence. It's cool, though. It was also strange seeing the master of defense defend himself by taking everything on the chin, instead of blocking or evading the attacks. I think it would have been better to see Obi-Wan's best impression of Pernell Whitaker.

I liked the micro-series style stuff, as you may know I've always been a proponent of it. I liked Obi-Wan smashing the droids and the super leap. It's just too bad they're really inconsistent with the Force.

Ahsoka didn't get annoying until the end, when they fell back into the same annoying stuff.

I do think Anakin's insta-rage at the mere mention of slavers was a bit much, but hey that's Anakin.

I really don't know what to give this episode, it was mostly mindless fun, but any grade I would give would be completely arbitrary.

16. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    ^ I agree with pretty much everything CT said. It was pretty decent and mildly entertaining, nothing more.

Nah, just someone doing their first duty in the face of the obvious being ignored.

What's the topic of the day? Palpatine? Whatever. :p

17. sacharias

sacharias Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2011
    I concur completely with CT. :p

With the small exception in that I'm not familiar with the micro series, so I don't relate to it very much.

Since I actually like Ahsoka, I wasn't so much annoyed by her last line as I was disappointed - she seemed to do pretty well right up till then. Ever since the "Padawan Lost" duology she's been much more reserved and mature, IMO. I think that was a good character turning-point for her, especially after her blatant immaturity in the "Citadel" arc. In the Mon Cal arc, and so far in the Slave arc, she's been very competent, more reserved, and in general more mature.

I was hoping she'd mention her relation to the colonists (being a Togruta) but that last line was a really silly way to stick that in.

18. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    It's not the same thing. It wasn't like Luke was tricking the Emperor. It was Vader that betrayed him, not Luke that fooled him with some transparent ploy.

19. ObsessiveFantasy

ObsessiveFantasy Jedi Youngling

Nov 25, 2010
    Liked it. A lot. Was interesting to see the part after the first bomb went off, with them tending to the injured. Usually we just go straight to the action. Nice touch. But Obi-Wan seemingly forgot how to use the Force...was I the only one screaming at him? :)

20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    He wasn't trying to win. He was taking a dive to stall out Darts and buy Anakin and Ahsoka more time to defuse all the bombs.

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    No, you're not the only one noticing the lack of the Force in TCW. It's nothing new.

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why are you ignoring that he didn't use the Force on purpose?

23. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Yoda mentioned that slavery was a tool for the rise of the Sith.

I think this was just a throwaway line, but it could mean something more.

Could Palpatine have set this up to test Anakin? Maybe this was an attempt to turn Anakin, or at least provoke his anger and hatred.

He knew about Anakin's slave past, perhaps this was what he first thought to use to turn Anakin.

Assuming this fails, maybe then he turns to using Padme.

We'll have to see how this turns out. The Jedi's handling of this is just as important as Anakin's.

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's an interesting idea CT. I've also wondered if this slave labor is being used to build Grievous's super weapon.

25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Interesting idea, indeed. [face_thinking]