main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 412: Slaves of the Republic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    At least his acting is more tolerable than normal in that scene.

2. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    Greetings all!!

First post in this forum after finally remembering my password!!

For the record, I am a fan of Ahsoka and don't have any real issue with her character or how its being handled. Then again, I like both Episode 1 & Hayden has Anakin.

I've enjoyed this arc and can't wait for the new ones to air.

sorry no trolling........just glad i can post again

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
  4. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Ive forgotten my password also thats why i keep myself logged in on here 24/7 lol:p

5. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    @Garth I don't hate Hayden, but that was painful to look at. :_|

6. TheLucasAdvocate1992

TheLucasAdvocate1992 Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 14, 2010
    On the subject of Hayden, I don't have any issues with him physically, but voice wise it'll always be Matt Lanter in my head when Anakin's on the screen. Even as a child :p

7. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    Just to comment on this episode directly, I really liked the portrayal of Ahsoka in the meditative state while caged, not unlike Qui Gon being caged between Darth Maul with Obi Won too far back to help. It seems as if they are trying to show that Padawan's are inexperienced Jedi and not merely a tag-along.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I didn't like them trying to make Ahsoka out to be some calm spiritual Jedi, though I understand they want to make her look cool and grown up, as usual, it didn't seem very in character.

As for Anakin, I think TCW is sometimes too far from his movie self. I hate how people brand things as 'emo' for any character who has emotional problems and reactions. But OK, he's more likeable and heroic here, it makes it all more tragic and sympathetic, etc..

I think maybe the micro-series had the best balance of Anakin, and the better voice, with him being troubled and yet also being the "cunning warrior and friend" that Obi-Wan spoke of.

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    While some spoke out against Mat Lucas' voice for Anakin on LACWAC, and he was Hayden's official voice double for other projects too, I think he does a better Anakin than Lanter because it flows better with the films. Not only that, I miss not only the micro series' pairing of Obi-Wan and Anakin, but the comics as well that had them in a story.

Lanter, to me, is voicing a different guy named Anakin. You can't really change who Anakin Skywalker is, both the voice and his character, because his story is already established through the prequels and other sources before TCW.

As for Ahsoka, I still see them trying to make her a mini Anakin, and there's no way I will ever see Anakin sitting down, meditating, and calming himself. It's just out of character for him. So from that perspective, it felt out of place for her too.

10. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    I know theres people who like and dislike what ahsoka was doing in the cage with the OOC meditation but i mean when you are trapped in a cage hanging off the edge of a dropoff what else is there to do:p

11. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    She should've channeled her mini Anakin self and find a way out.

However, seeing that cage fall with her inside wouldn't be a bad idea. [face_thinking]

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Perhaps it's not that they're trying to make her exactly like Anakin and failing but that they're just making her somewhat like Anakin but not exactly the same. [face_idea] I've always seen similarities and differences there, and they're especially evident in more recent episodes like the Citadel arc and so far the Slavery arc (Kidnapped, at least). I don't think they're trying to make her a double and stumbling, I think they're just making her similar to Anakin.

13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I see more similarities than differences personally. While they may throw in that rare "she disagrees with Anakin" moment, it's normally filled with cringeworthy banter or she notices certain aspects of his personality she hasn't realized yet. Actually their banter is generally cringeworthy. That's one of the issues why I cannot stand them together, and her being similiar to Anakin is another problem, but that's reasonable to understand unlike the former.

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I agree that they have more similarities than differences, I only said they have similarities and differences. The examples I gave were of her disagreeing with what he was doing, not just noticing something new to her. Regarding the banter, I think there are good and bad moments throughout all the seasons, often in the same episode.

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, and I commented on it.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    And I agreed with your comment. [:D]

17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh, nevermind. I misread it.

Also, Regarding the banter, I think there are good and bad moments throughout all the seasons, often in the same episode.
    Most of the time, I think anytime Ahsoka opens her mouth, and Anakin follows suit and replies to her, or vice-versa, bad things will happen.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Having only watched S4 in the past couple months until the last two days in which I watched The Clone Wars film twice, I think I can safely say their banter is not as bad as it once was.

19. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    Maybe that's how she dies and she's never mentioned because she's technically killed by a slaver that's why anakin never mentions her

20. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Wanna take a bet on that? xD

21. Confederate_Republic

Confederate_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2011
    Wow... I've actually been mentioned [face_hypnotized] Infact when I saw my name I did a double take there, heh
    I'm honored to... have been... thought of?

Anyway, well, just watched it tonight, and oh boy, I'm gonna have a field day with this.

-So space traffic actually exists. Good to know.

-Gha Nachkt's ship and the Pirate ship that captured Ventress must have had babies together or something, because I'm pretty sure a good majority of the ships around Zygerria were identical to them.

-Okay Anakin, you constantly whine and ***** about slavery nonstop, always needing to rant on how bad it is, how horrible it is, slavers are terrible people, yeah, we get it. So tell me, why in the NINE HELLS are you, not only accepting, but EAGER to jaunt around posing as a slaver with your "Merchandise"? In the comic, he got ANGRY when Ahsoka jokingly called him "Master" in a submissive way, now, he actually WANTS her to refer to him in such a way?

-Every time Anakin talks about his charm it never fails to make me want to cave in that smug face.

-So Zygerrians have helmets specially made to fit human sized beards. Good to know.

-Why is Mar Tuuk looking for a Twi'lek slave again? Or is that just reused Neimoidian Model #189?

-Good God. The "Tell it to my whip!" scene with the Zygerrian slaver and the old Twi'lek was so overused, so over done, so over the top. I actually started laughing. Out loud.

-So who the hell was Bruno Denturri? Ever explained? No. Was he in the comic? No. What was the point?

-Great, so Anakin uses a few century old pick up lines that a 90 Year old man would find "Lame" and "Uncool" and the Queen wants to get in his pants like nobodies business. I understand Anakin has flaws, but this is one of those moments that makes me call him a "Gary-Stu"

-While Anakin was on about the whole "You're so hot" thing, all I could think of was how cute the Queen would look in one of those LOLcat pictures.

-Hutt cameo! Good to know they still exist.

-So, here comes Obi-Wan's daring plan! Oh boy, I've been waiting for this. What will my man do this time? Completely blow his cover by force jumping around, kidnapping a slave, murdering a guard in broad daylight, and highjacking one of Pong Krell's pet dragons? Okay.

-Did Obi-Wan REALLY plan to fly 50,000 slaves out on those dragons?

-Jeez Jedi are terrible in this show. Obi-Wan gets shot off his Dragon ten seconds after getting on it.

-I'm not really gonna bother talking about the "Anakin/Queen" thing much, because it will just get repetitive and make my brains ooze out my nose.

-Where the hell did that Slave girl get that knife from? Was she using it to prepare fruit, or do Zygerrian Traditions state all slaves be armed with potential murder weapons at all times?

-The suicide scene could have been really meaningful, had the

22. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    A five week break!? Ugh.

Decent episode. Definitely more nuanced than the previous one.

23. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003

The shots of Anakin getting lassoed by the whips reminded me of something, but I can't place it.

King Kong or Sampson or maybe a Ray Harryhausen flick....

Can anyone help with this one??

24. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    AUTO-WIN.
    I liked it as well. It was not an out-of-character (or "Buddha") moment for her. She's meditated before (in Assassin). Yet people seem to have siezures when Ahsoka does something that does fit with their idea of her.
    [image=http://www.starwarsepisode2.com/star-wars-2-attack-of-the-clones/image-picture-photo-pic-photograph-pix/45-padme-amidala-anakin-skywalker-naboo.jpg]
    Meditating - check.
    Calming himself - check.
    Sitting down - Doh!
    [image=http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljutdgRbtF1qe1wk7o1_500.jpg]
    Sitting down - check.
    Meditating - check.
    Calming himself - Doh!
    16-yr old girl, sir.

25. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Valley_of_Gwangi

If I had to take a guess, it'd be this. There's a scene where cowboys lasso the Allosaur in the title, Gwangi.

Hope my knowledge of obscure dinosaur movies helps for a change. [face_laugh]