Clone Wars The Clone Wars: Episode 412: Slaves of the Republic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Master_Gallia Jedi Master

star 2
    Its funny because so far the 'Han Solo-esque' is the my only complaint with TCW. I think its too much of a reinterpretation of the Anakin on Film. On film Anakin's frustration and anger were subtle and muted. The banter between him and Obi Wan had more of an 'under his breath' feel to it and not the cocky 'hey listen as I call attention to myself' outburst we get with TCW's Anakin.

IMHO its almost like Matt thinks "what if Lando Calrissian and Han where Jedi?"
  2. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There is a banner thread, and certainly if anyone else wants to give it a shot, please go ahead.

If I had any ability in that department we'd probably have another 10 banners to use but I don't.

Gry used to do banners, but that was when he was trying to impress Quest and I. Now that he's a manager, he feels that doing banners are beneath him.

GG does them as well. Quest used to, but he's barely around anymore.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_laugh]
  4. shanerjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Kramer from Seinfeld: heheeh Cat fight. :p
  5. klooney Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    This was a pretty well done episode.

Maybe this was mentioned previously but I was a little taken aback with Anakin as a suave and flirtatious ladies' man.
    I realize it served a function to illustrate Ahsoka's attachment to Anakin and was well written in the show, but it is a stretch to buy that
    this is the same brooding and stunted Anakin of ROTS and AOTC. Entertaining? sure... just seems strangely off for the character.
  6. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    He was probably being transmitted advice from Obi-Wan, the real ladies man, from one of those TCW earpieces.

Anakin: So... Miraj... have I told you how un-sand-like your fur is?
    Obi-Wan: NO!
    Anakin: Uh, I mean, your eyes are really nice!

:p

*Edited for GG ;) *
  7. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    Yeah, you are eyes are really nice. :p
  8. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    [face_laugh]LOL[face_laugh] LOL[face_laugh]LOL...not fair! I almost died......
  9. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/JoZ/there.jpg]
  10. Convor Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Your realy geting ur grammer nazi on 2day HJ. ;)
  11. Convor Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    And double post. I honestly have no idea how I keep doing this. [face_plain]
  12. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    No Humble, don't confuse the issue any more than it already is. I fear we'll eventually just have "your" and "there" for all occasions.:_|
  13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    Is there no place for the man with a 105 IQ?
  14. shanerjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    105 IQ?

Is that some kind of game pad?
  15. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I thought it was time for some IQ 101. [face_skull]

I mean, grammar 101. :-B

Damn it people, I'm not even native English. I don't even live in an English speaking country! (Well, we all speak English, but you know what I mean. :p)
  16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    How often do you actually converse with your friends in English, if at all? I've always wondered this about countries like the Netherlands and Sweden.
  17. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    You mean with my Dutch friends? Well, we mostly talk Dutch, but every so often we'll use an English word or phrase or quote, especially when watching films or playing games. It's common for a lot of people (even politicians and in media) to use English terms for certain things, although this is also frowned upon by language purists.

Some of my friends are foreign students and with these people I converse in English all the time.

But pretty much everyone here speaks English, likes to speak English and it's common to throw around an English phrase or expression every so often, young people more often than older people though, but there are a lot of exceptions. Even commercials are often in English these days. But it's not like our own language is deteriorating, we love it too much.
  18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd imagine the older generations would frown upon conversing in English over Dutch. It still feels weird switching on the TV on the continent and hearing all these English words and phrases that have been adopted by all the different European languages. Some of them really jar with the rest of the sentence, particularly in latin countries where the pronunciations are so different.

That whole part of Europe from the Netherlands through Scandinavia to Finland fascinates me. I'd love to visit sometime. And go clubbing to to all the Eurodance :cool: love that stuff.
  19. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I've been wanting to visit Scandinavia for a long time. I've pretty much been everywhere in Europe except for Russia, Ireland and Scandinavia.

Thing is, people often think of The Netherlands as Germany's back garden or something, but it's really its own unique country, even though there are some similarities in the language. But there are similarities between Norwegian and Danish and Dutch as well. If I'm not mistaken there are some Scandinavian influences in English too.

Culturally though, I think the Dutch like to be associated with the English rather than with the Germans. France feels more alien to us, even though lots of people here speak French. We sort of have to speak many languages, being a small country in Europe that has historically always been heavily dependant of international trade, hence why we learn many languages in school.

It's not that we hate the Germans (except when it comes to football of course - they're our hated arch-rivals), but it seems like Germans are very fond of Holland, and they are apparently being taught that you can just walk up to any Dutchman and address him in German right off the bat, because he will understand you anyway. Most people see this as rude, and much prefer the polite English. (Which is ironic, because the English often seem to think of Dutch people as being rude - which is actually true in most cases.) French people do this too, but it's probably because they assume the entire world speaks French [face_laugh], and maybe in the German case our indignation could have something to do with WW2, when Dutch collaborators bought into the German propaganda that said the Dutch and the Germans were one single Germanic race.

In short, we don't hate Germans, we just don't like to be associated with them, because we're so damn proud of our own culture. [face_laugh]

Despite our rivalry in more historic times, the Dutch and the English have always gotten along really well, and England is one of our most trusted allies and friends, much more so than the Germans or the French. When it comes to popularity of languages in school, I think most Dutch seem to favour English, then French, then Spanish, and German in the last place.

Let me legitimize this post LukeTano-style by saying that this is all completely on-topic, because Ahsoka speaks English and the Zygerrians spoke with European accents! [face_whistling]
  20. GGrievous Chosen One

star 5
    Don't bring up Luketano [face_tired]
  21. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Is this table sarcastic.... or is my english just bad? [face_laugh]

"Geographical nazi" strikes- Scandinavia:Denmark, Sweden and Norway - while Fennoscandia is Scandinavia plus Finland and Karelia (parts of modern Russia) ,but usual broader term is Nordic Countries that means Scandinavia,Finland and Iceland(plus other little islands belonging to those countries):-B

So you can visit Finland or Iceland and say "I've never been in Scandinavia":p but then you've still been "in Nordic Countries" (and possibly in Fennoscandia).... so i guess you haven't been in any of the 'nordic countries' then?:p
  22. Humble_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Nope, I haven't. Thanks for explaining. I really thought Finland was in Scandinavia.

And yeah, of course that table is sarcastic.

What's so funny about it, is that some people consistently do what it says. It just boggles my mind that people say 'there' when they mean 'their', 'their' when they mean 'they're', and 'they're' when they mean 'there'. I just can't comprehend how people can do that. For example, if someone wrote 'their' in all three cases, it'd be just as wrong, but it'd be somewhat understandable. But to use all three consistently inappropriately is just bizarre! 8-}
  23. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    Usual misunderstanding- those terms are geographically defined like that, but usually when people say Scandinavia they in fact mean all Nordic countries so it's kinda nitpicking to make difference between those terms- but it's like "America" that is not U.S.A but entire continent or in fact two continents together.

Well my question was a rhetorical one:p

I guess it's more irritating for us who are not native speakers..... and it is confusing as well in certain cases....
  24. shanerjedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Let's all speak Huttese
  25. Dark Lord Tarkas Force Ghost

star 5
    H_J, that graphic is freaking hilarious. [face_laugh] When I read "They're they are" I seriously doubled over laughing. And I'm laughing again because I just typed it.