main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 415: Deception Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Jan 17, 2012.

1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Not really, considering other sources, including TCW, showed him with his ROTS style hair. There was no mullet.

2. Master_Fwiffo

Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2001
    That was very, very good. This arc is off to a great start, and I really hope this helps expand Anakins character arc into something that would make for a believable turn.

I can hardly believe this is the same show that got off to such a terrible start this season.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    And the bounty hunter was none of the above. What a twist! That episode was badass. Surprisingly well thought out and the dialogue was excellent for TCW. Best since "Carnage of Krell". Wow that's some harsh plastic surgery but I loved seeing Obi with a naked face just like TPM. The plan to steal Rako's identity was surprisingly elaborate. Interesting Mace seems to be the mastermind of it. I'm betting there is some major fall out coming between them and poor Anakin who I really felt sorry for. I wonder if he'll nearly rage quit the Jedi over this. I was surprised Ahsoka wasn't restraining Anakin and in fact seemed to be keeping her distance. Lots of cool settings although I only saw it in SD. I'll have to wait to really admire the Animation. The riot scene was awesome. Where was Commander Fox during that? Painting his armor some more or looking for his sandwich? Lol, that was too funny. Those would be some crappy jobs for clones. Is that really it for Bossk and Boba? I think this will get and 9 or 10 from me. I love how I have no idea what will happen next. This Brent Friedman who wrote it is a new one and seems to be one to watch.

4. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011

Yes

5. Karachi_Kenja

Karachi_Kenja Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2006
    This episode was a lot of fun to watch. They managed to make it humorous while also keeping it serious.

There were a couple of problems but overall they weren't too major. I cringed at the Harry Potter-like face transformation and Obi-Wan's reluctance to execute the clone (it's a nice touch that he hesitated, but the amount of time he hesitated for seemed a bit too suspicious).

I loved how they handled Obi-Wan in this episode- it's a big improvement to the brainless Kenobi we've been getting so far. I liked him mentally preparing himself for this mission right before he's 'killed', and his doubts during the council meeting beforehand. Question though, is it just me or does Obi-Wan seem really weary and tired during the council meeting? His sense of humour throughout the whole thing ("So, how was my funeral?" and "Sorry, just playing with my food." just to name a couple) was hilarious, he really seems like he's enjoying himself.

The new characters are very interesting. I feel sorry for Rako Hardeen, he genuinely thought he killed Obi-Wan until Obi-Wan turns up looking exactly like him. Poor guy looked like he had a heart attack. As for Moralo Eval, I like that he sounds slightly insane. In fact, I think it's safe to say that all Phindians are a bit crazy (Osi Sobeck, anyone? :p).

Definitely one of the better episodes this season. Looking forward to the next part of the arc.

6. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    Did they name Morallo Eval after Adult Swim's Moral Orel?

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    ^They named him after the words "moral" and "evil" ;)

Oh man, this was well good. Loved it. Not perfect but pretty damn good. First actual 'good' episode this season.

Yeah there were a couple silly things (Polyjuice Potion complete with tattoos, some hamfisted lines and Eval spilling the beans way too early) but it was just too much fun. And it was great seeing Bane again and getting some more characterisation. Now I remember why I loved Hostage Crisis so much when it first came out.

Also nice that they filled in a couple blank spots from the movies. Is this where Obi Wan's use of 'Ben' originated? Nice to see he looked very much like TPM Ewan under all that hair as well.

Have to say, unless the second half of this arc goes sour like Umbara I think I could end up really enjoying this one.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Great episode. My only complaint is the way Obi-Wan transformed into Hardeen. Can't wait to see the next episode.

9. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Great episode, though a little disappointed at how little Boba and Bossk were shown. Hopefully they'll return next episode. [face_praying]

EDIT:

That was seriously jacked up. O_O

10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Why would Bossok even defend Boba? Don't the TCW writers know that they don't like each other? At least in their future they don't.

11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, I was also skeptic about that. They are future rivals.

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    You've answered your own question.

13. Tordelback

Tordelback Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 14, 2008
    Despite (because of?) being full of silliness, this was basically wonderful from start to finish. Great to see Obi-Wan off on his own away from the angsty disaster area that is his former Padawan and Grand-Padawan, and how beautifully done it all was. Fun, exciting, no idea where this is going - now this is podracing!

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Well, no he didn't really. There's no explanation. In typical TCW fashion, we are presented something with no prior elaboration that legitimises it. It's just dumped on our plate and we're told to eat it. What needs to happen is there needs to be some kind of event that turns the two against each other. This could well happen later on in the arc but I doubt it.

15. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Let me be the first to assure you, that you were not. After my initial thought of "Couldn't that have given him a local anesthetic or something?" my next thought was "Wow the writers have been watching 'Innerspace' lately." Awesome 80s film...but then most of them were. I guess that goes to show how old we are. *sigh*

Anyway, episode itself was really good. A couple weak points, but nothing that wrecked the story. of course being the first part of a four parter, most of it was setup and that's ok, because it gives all the major players a chance to get where they need to be. the cantina scenes were pretty good. I loved the bartender. I loved the face off between Obi-wan and Hardeen.

Yoda had the line of the episode, though. "A better performance that you, your corpse gave." Nice to know he still has his sense of humor.

Speaking of old references, though, the scene where Obi-Wan had to swallow the vocal emulator reminded me of the Babel Fish from Hitchhiker's Guide for some reason. Thought that was funny too.

All in all a good setup and I think I'm really going to look forward to the remaining episodes.

My husband had a theory about that, purely in jest, for which I promptly told him he had a sick mind.

16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I like that Bossk is Boba's bodyguard in prison.

17. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I did a little side-by-side comparing, and they did a great job in recreating a beardless Obi-Wan. The cleft chin looked great, and I've never noticed this before but they even gave the model the little forehead mole that Ewan has.

I wonder if this points towards this beardless model being used in a TPM flashback for the Maul episodes?

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He did. He's speaking about a future event which is not relevant for the timeline we are in.

That would be great.

19. idpullthecurtains

idpullthecurtains Jedi Master star 2

Apr 5, 2010
    So is Hardeem gonna turn out to be Dengar? I guess so.

20. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    We obviously have very different ideas of what an 'answer' is then.

21. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Just gotta mention the pacing again.

Newsreel informed us of the general idea then the episode took off, no fat on it.

22. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Well, I agree with whoever said this episode is the best since Carnage Of Krell. It's everything I expect from a good TCW episode, plus more.

I think Cmdr. Fox might as well start packing his things at Coruscant Guard HQ.

First he let those suicide bomber droids into the power plant (personally!). Then his prison guards failed to contain a riot and let three dangerous criminals escape. The clones on the ground deciding ad hoc when to switch from non-lethal to lethal force looks very dubious.

Time for Thire to get his inevitable promotion?

23. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    I thought that was Thire at the prison? :confused:

24. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    With this episode, TCW stepped quite far outside its comfort zone of space and lightsaber battles, and I?m quite impressed with the results.

++ BIG PROPS to James Arnold Taylor. I would have bet money that they had a separate voice actor for Rako Hardeen, but JAT completely fooled me with a great changeup.
    +Excellent voice acting by Stephen Stanton (Moralo Eval).
    +Shaved Obi-Wan looks nearly exact to young Obi from TPM.

+I was getting a Total Recall vibe with the face manipulation/disguise thing and voice altering mechanism. It seems as if TCW likes to mimic upcoming movies (or perhaps the writing mimics prevailing trends in Hollywood).
    [image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mLwxlH1aRWs/RuhDAyvqJ-I/AAAAAAAAAFo/1Rhi-YNfT0E/s320/total_recall_12.jpg]

+The lighting of the underworld scenes and Coruscant was excellent. I love how the light shines through the slants of the windows onto the character?s faces.

-Dislike how Obi-Wan is on the borderline (if not completely) of becoming an accomplice to murder. Just because he stands around while Cad Bade/Moralo Eval are killing guards does not mean Obi-Wan is completely without guilt in those murders. This is a very tricky and potentially sticky part of this arc as it could really compromise Obi-Wan?s (and the Jedi?s) values.

25. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    To fit in with scum, he has to become scum. It would make no sense for him to not kill the guards without hesistation like Cad because he risks blowing his cover and the entire operation. It's a necessary sacrifice and if he wasn't willing to do it then why did he agree to take on the job in the first place?