Clone Wars The Clone Wars: Episode 415: Deception Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by Gry Sarth, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Watching the episode again, and that sequence is now setting off big alarm bells. If someone is monitoring the transmission, not only is Yoda's distinctive voice heard during the call, but as well as Mace telling him 'not to blow cover', he then calls him Obi-Wan.

With friends like these... :oops:
  2. fistofan1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, that was a really awkward scene. I mean, it makes sense that Obi-Wan wouldn't be able to smuggle the comlink to another room, but if that were the case why wouldn't Yoda and Mace arrange for the comm to be placed in a bathroom? Or his cell? Or any other private place?

Maybe that's why he immediately spit the food out of his mouth in the cafeteria scene. :p
  3. Tordelback Jedi Knight

star 2
    You have it the wrong way round. He's using 'Ben' as an agreed code name so that the Old Folks' Home know it's really him, and he hasn't been rumbled. Anyone twigging the deception and intercepting the comms gear could have used the names Hardeen or Obi-Wan.
  4. AvadaKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Hand wave it as arrogance. Makes it easier to swallow. I'm a Resident Evil fan. Hand waving is a necessity. ;)
  5. Robimus Force Ghost

star 5
    I caught this one last night. As a story its presented well enough though it does very much lack originality(kinda a cross between Face Off and Movie Zartan.)

Unfortunatly this episode highlights the moral decline of the Jedi Order to a huge degree. All they are is a bunch of liars who will do and support anything no matter how devous, mean spirited or outright wrong.

Nevermind how the Jedi leadership decieves and lies its own membership it now also frames people for crimes that they didn't commit, hires assassins and generally seeks to undermine the Republic itself. What a horrible presentation of the Jedi.

They should change their slogan to "By any means nessessary".

And yeah somehow the More Evil dude has his run of the Republic prison system.

The only thing I enjoyed was the snake bartender. Past that this was a poor episode in every way I can imagine.
  6. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Good call, I like that :)

Still doesn't excuse Mace WinD'oh! though... :p
  7. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I can accept that they needed to keep Anakin in the dark so that his reaction would sell the death of Obi-Wan (god knows he's never been a great actor). But now that the death has been thoroughly established and Obi-Wan is already infiltrated in Bane's team, it makes absolutely no sense at all for Mace and Yoda not to reveal everything to Anakin. Or at the very least reveal it to Ahsoka so that she can keep Anakin away from trouble.
  8. Swashbucklingjedi Game Winner

Game Winner
    star 5
    ^Maybe they just forget to tell about it:p
  9. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    Others mentioned Obi Wan's hesitation at killing the clone. That scene reminded me of Rex's killing of the overseer in Escape from Kadavo. Once again Obi-Wan seems to operate on the assumption that it's ok to allow your comrade to kill someone, as long as you don't do it yourself. Excuse me, but that's not very Jedi-like. Obi-Wan should have tried to save those clones' lives while still maintaining his cover. Something like narrowling missing a shot, but at the same time Force-pushing the clone against a wall, knocking him out, then saying "wow, this blaster packs a punch!" Entertaining AND convincing.
  10. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I get your point, but this is where philosophizing gives you Hamlet, who could not act to save his self. To a certain extent, he has to take the approaches of "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" and "the ends justify the means".

To be a Jedi at the extreme end of the spectrum would make Kenobi (and every Jedi) a pacifist and fatalist.

At any rate, he could have easily shot the clone in the arm and then knocked him out with a fist or Force push.

Agreed that the only clunky sequence was the bench press secret conversation; it's stuff like this that drives me crazy, because it beggars belief. "Hey, I'm talking into my hand in the middle of this public room! I'm not using the weights whatsoever but no worries, I'm not doing anything suspicious!"

Wouldn't it have been far, far, far more effective to have some kind of signaller implanted, where he has an earpiece and some kind of subvocalizer? Then he could literally be lifting the weights and talking to them at the same time, without holding a signalling device.
  11. Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod

star 5
    I'm not saying that the Jedi should be pacifist monks. What troubles me is this half-assed approach, where Obi-Wan REFUSES to kill anyone, but has no problem whatsoever with allowing others to kill in his place. He should either accept the costs of the situation he's in, or try his best to prevent deaths.
  12. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    I wonder where this episode stands, timeline wise, from the events at the beginning of Revenge of the Sith...
  13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    Have you tried having a conversation while lifting weights? It's an incredibly intensive task. You can't even let your mind wander because you're concentrating so hard on each lift. If he tried it while doing those bench presses he'd sound like he was trying to pass a massive turd the whole duration. And I'm sure Mace and Yoda would have loved that.
    Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  14. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Lol true, but he could have done it in between sets, etc.

Something more believable than whipping out his iPhone in the rec room.
  15. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    So glad to see all the positive reviews on here.

Very strong episode, I agree with those who say it's the best in a while.

Great to see OW on his own.
    Always love the underworld.
    We see more of the Jedi's decline
    Visuals keep improving.
    Great pace (for a change)
    The undercover agent stuck doing bad things or allowing them to happen and struggling with this is not new but it's working well. I hope this arc doesn't flame out like the last 4 parter did (to a certain extent) but it's off to a strong start.

Not so great...
    Anakin being kept completely in the dark. A little too much of a plot contrivance so that we can see him under duress. They could have told him what was going to go down and then sent him on any number of off world missions.

Swallowing the voice modulator. All these pages and ppl mention eating only. Hello, how do you breathe with that thing?!

Yes, the villain's name (won't dignify it) is horribly horribly bad

Edit: conversation... It's prison, you can only do things like that in a group setting. There's no privacy LOL. Was he going to do it in his cell so his roomie could hear every word? Or maybe in the bathroom, oh wait, that's in your cell too.
  16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    Not to be awkward for the sake of it, but I don't see why this is a big deal to some people.

And in answer to your breathing question, it's not the same tube. If he swallowed it, technically it would have gone down the oesophagus, which leads to the stomach and digestive tract. The trachea is the tube that leads to the lungs, and that gets blocked off when you swallow.
  17. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    I was thinking it had to be in his wind pipe since you exhale as you talk. That (yours)makes more sense though.
  18. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    Well the larynx is part of the trachea, albeit at the very top near the pharynx, which is the entrance to the throat and where both the food and air tubes start. The larynx does also play a part in breathing and is part of the respiratory system. Which makes the vocal emulator's per os (oral) administration seem even odder to me.
  19. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    The young audience certainly would have loved that.

This week on The Clone Wars: Obi-Wan goes bald, shaves, melts his face and learns how to speak both American and constipated.

Yeah, the kids wouldn't have been in fits of giggles in the middle of the serious conversation about sinister plots...
    Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  20. Yodaminch Chosen One

star 6
    At least it wasn't the other end I suppose. Though that conversation with Mace would have been rather amusing.:p
  21. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Just goes to show how pacing and a decent script can go a long way to paving over mistakes.
  22. GGrievous Force Ghost

star 5
    Fanboy, I'm still wondering how the hell did he do that as well.
  23. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    The whole sequence was way too nonchalant, considering the thing was the size of a bloody ping pong ball, as well as tentacles. I'd rather have seen him struggle to force it down.
  24. Garth Maul Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, I'm guessing they made it that big so kids(?) could understand what was going on?

Only thing I could think of.
  25. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    The whole notion of taking something that big and just *gulp* like that, like it's a piece of piss, was just off. What the hell is he getting up to in his spare time to not gag on something like that?