main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 416: Friends and Enemies Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    This was a bit of a weird situation that isn't really a spoiler.

We'll let Lurker brag about his elf-eyes.;)

2. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    Been a while for my take on this episode but here it is. I thought it was good with no fails. Just.....peachy.
    Pros:
    -I like Bane 2.0
    -Ithorian translator is cool. It's about time such an invention made a debut.
    -The little skirmish at the end was entertaining. Ships hitting each other while a Jedi and Bounty Hunter get into a classic struggle on top of one ship.
    -lol at Anakin kneeing Obi-Hardeen in the genitals! yes, I think that is a pro [face_laugh]
    -The way the Obi/Anakin struggle played out worked
    -Fuel stop was a good idea. It was never really established what a galactic "gas station" looks like.
    -The bitter rivalry between Obi-Hardeen and Bane is illustrated pretty well. There needs to be more "new-drama" like this.

Cons:
    -It just kinda bothers me that Ahsoka didn't lunge forward and take off Hardeen and Bane's head off.....
    -I didn't buy the animation of Ahsoka's head slamming on the ship's controls
    -Dooku, Dooku, Dooku, Dooku, Dooku........man I'd hate to be this guy. He answers like 50 calls a day. He must have to recharge his holoprojector like 3 times a day. Heck, he probably pays dozens of expensenses caused by the ever-expensive General Grievous. He's probably crying in his chair because he lost 3-4 apprentices in the scheme of things and everybody who works for him ends up betraying him or getting killed. Bottom Line: It sucks to be Dooku
    -Aaaaaaaannnddd......Anakin just went Super Sayain! Cuz....he's ANGRY!!!!! RAAARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!!
    -They could have picked more interesting models for the background aliens.
    -Yoda and Mace. Their lives are just like Dooku's. Answering to 50 calls a day and having to travel to the same room almost 24/7. On top of that, they have missions too. They barely get to call the shots. Bottom Line: The MINOR Jedi are lucky

In case you haven't noticed, I wasn't entirely serious about that last boldened statement.

The cons in this episode weren't serious ones and it didn't have cliches. 9/10 Decent, rewatchable, and full of action.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    All right. :p

4. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Reading your cons actually made me laugh

5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Did anyone notice the Indiana Jones node? Cade Bane is shown looking at a hat, a hat which appears to be a fedora. Its not the hat Cade picks though, but the other one that was bigger.

Though maybe it was just my imagination, and the hat doesn't look like the one indiana wore.

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    [image=http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/indiana_jones_hat.jpg]

[image=http://starwars.com/img/explore/the-clone-wars/slideshow/ep416/trivia/trivia02.jpg]

It's Indiana's hat. :p

7. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Can we please stop torturing Obi-Wan, poor guy. Very cool to see Rex and Appo with Palpatine trying to gain the loyalty of the 501st right after they have killed a Jedi. Maybe Rex won't go along with the program.

8. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    That was Appo? :confused:

9. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    ^ Damn, I keep thinking you're Gry, with that icon. [face_laugh]

10. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    There was no Appo.

Just two clones with Rex. With Anakin probably on leave(death of Obi-Wan etc etc) they probably gave the 501st some time off as well. With Anakin asking Rex to protect the Chancellor.

11. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    That's funny because I've been doing the same thing:p

12. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    There was a clone who was either partially off screen or behind Rex the entire time whose helmet I couldn't see. But I think the other two clones were just goons as well. I think Commander Fox is in some big trouble since he sucks so bad and instead Anakin has assigned his finest soldier Rex and the elite 501st as extra security with the kidnapping plot. Bottom line is Anakin doesn't seem to trust the council at all on this one. I bet the whole unit is patrolling around off screen. I bet the 212th is on leave though, lol. Palpatine saying - "Captain, if you must walk me home I'm leaving now." - doesn't make it sound like Palpatine despite his obvious rank is giving orders which I find interesting. Rex is pretty bold to not answer Mace.

13. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    [face_laugh]

Nah, he's Commander Gree now. I don't think the Embo icon goes as well with my lack of colors. [face_laugh]

14. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    It's just the two goons and Rex, just rewatched the episode earlier today.

It's no surprise that Anakin trusted Rex with doing security for Palpatine and telling him he's going to Nal Hutta, and Rex has Anakin's back here too. A lot of character development for a one minute scene for Rex here. He pretty much told Mace to go **** himself I'm not ratting out General Skywalker.

15. AS_Dodger

AS_Dodger Jedi Master

Sep 28, 2003
    If they were going to let the ship sink into the swamp anyway, why not just land it?

Loved this episode though.

16. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    In ROTS, Palpatine travels to dangerous Mustafar, trusting in the protection provided by the Coruscant Guard...

[face_laugh]

It's interesting how that scene foreshadowed ROTS so well. There are no actual hostilities, but the loyalties are clear. The clone troopers - in this case the 501st Legion, thus far the only unit to subdue a Jedi - are loyal to Palpatine and circumvent the Jedi Order on his orders. As an answer to Mace's question of "can't or won't", the answer is probably "can't". At the same time, Anakin is out on a mission of revenge for the death of Obi-Wan. As the ROTS novelisation says, Anakin is loyal to people (in this case Obi-Wan) rather than ideals and abstract concepts.

There's some good writing in this episode.

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Filoni's, too, right? [face_clown]

18. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    [face_laugh]

19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Another very good episode.[face_coffee]

This, along with the Umbara arc, just shows me that the TCW writers are better suited to writing the 'everyman' characters than the 'Superman' heroes like the Jedi. It kinda makes me wish they went with Filoni's original idea for the show about Jedi working in the criminal world.

And for some reason, this episode made me feel like the end of the show isn't very far away.. maybe it was all the overdue hat jokes..

20. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    This was a jolly good episode, much better than the previous one. I REALLY loved how much it reveled in the seedy underbelly of the Star Wars universe. It was an episode so rich in details, with that wretched hive properly populated with lots of scum and villainy.

- Loved all the EU stuff popping up, like the Luxury 3000 (Lady Luck model), YV-666 (Hound's Tooth model) and Krail 1010 bounty hunter armour (yeah, it's a Boba Fett early concept, but since it went unused it's officially a Krail 1010 suit).

- Strange that we saw no Hutts on Nal Hutta, but at least we got some very good species diversity, and even a cameo by Sy Snootles!

- The only thing that really brings down this episode is the nonsensical fact that they would still keep Anakin in the dark about all this. At this stage in the operation, what is the point? And even when Yoda tells Mace to bring Anakin up to speed, he never sends him a simple message?! In this series the Jedi are always communicating back-and-forth with the council in Coruscant without any difficulty through their wrist-comms, why stop now?

- And what was up with Obi-Wan protecting Bane so fiercely? What's the point in that? Eval is the one with the plan, if Bane got killed it would assure that he would have nobody else to rely on other than disguised Kenobi. It would be perfect for Obi-Wan's purpose, and yet he keeps on preventing Anakin from eliminating this highly dangerous bounty hunter.

- Fun with hats! Loved the little jokes about Bane's ludicrous hats, and nice subtle in-joke with Filoni's fedora.

- Very nice to see Palpatine manipulating Anakin into going on the hunt. He obviously knows Kenobi has gone undercover (is there ANYTHING this guy doesn't know?!)

- Thought it was a little forced that Bane's little hustling of the rodian vendor with a toothpick elicited such an overblown response, in a place where probably people get murdered for looking at you the wrong way.

- Don't understand the sense in Obi-Wan crashing the ship at the beginning of the episode. You know, crashing is dangerous folks. If your ship is breaking up into several pieces, there's a VERY good chance you'll die, no matter how powerful in the Force you are. If all you need is to sink your ship in the swamp, well, just land in the swamp and let it sink.

- Bane was great in this episode, though he does come off as a little less of a pro. If Mace fought like Anakin, Jango would never have lost his head.

PS: I REALLY hope that Eval's plot against Palpatine involves other elements than just him himself doing the deed. I hope there's stuff already in place, things already set in motion. Otherwise all they needed to do to prevent the nefarious plot was just to NOT HELP HIM ESCAPE PRISON.

21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    There's a blink-and-you'll-miss-him appearance by Gorga the Hutt when the escapees enter the town, right as Moralo makes a comment about "local security" (2:51 on the SW.com full episode video).

22. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Even I though it was me. For a second I was like "humm, I don't remember posting here yet...."

23. JM_1977

May 23, 2011
    I've made that mistake before. It's so confusing when someone on here has the same icon as you or an icon you've had in the past8-}

24. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    I was thinking about this after watching this episode yesterday morning. I figured that the Jedi, originally, wanted Cad Bane captured alive. Especially after The Hunt for Ziro, where I think Obi-Wan and Quinlan Vos could've killed Bane if they wanted to. Now, granted, I'm not exactly sure about the time lines, but I figured that might be a reason.

25. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    I was rather shocked that Ahsoka from her look in the bar, seemed rather indifferent about Anakin choking the bartender. To me it seemed that she just didn't care, or else she expected it from him. She didn't seem worried to me at all.

and at the very end, when Bane was about to kill Anakin, she sounded pretty damn pissed at that moment. That wasn't a cry of 'Ill defend you master' that was more of a 'kill him and i'll kill you' or 'touch him an die' type of yell.