main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 418: Crisis on Naboo Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You're right, Anakin's lies are much worse.

Edit: you know, other than Anakin v Dooku again and a pretty hackneyed script, this was a pretty great episode. I agree with those bemoaning the pointlessness of The Box when we could have used more time on the kidnapping.

Nice to see Anakin with some Vader-like finger pointing, but I agree his yelling about secrets was a little much. I would have preferred they get into his problem with attachment, Anakin of all Jedi should be able to understand the need for Obi-Wan's deep cover.

I wish we could see more Mace.

The Dooku banquet thing was a little too on the nose from ESB but it was entertaining.

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    How bitterly disappointing.

- First off, when Embo and Twazzi get cornered. Why did they not put up a fight? I know Twazzi got some punches in but is it not customary to have a backup plan for situations exactly like this? Did they really assume that the plot would go off without a hitch? Why did they not account for the possibility that Jedi would be at the ceremony? You know, these are supposedly the best of the best, I'm sure in their line of work they run into Jedi from time to time, are you really telling me they don't have any kind of countermeasures? Embo surrendering immediately really annoyed me. It was insulting to his badass character established all those seasons ago. And could we not have had a line or something to acknowledge the fact that Anakin knows Embo? He could have been any generic bounty hunter with the way the scene played out. And I think this is one of the things you just do not do, under any circumstances, when you have such unique and interesting original characters. You should be making full use of their uniqueness instead of just turning them into generic goons. At least he got his hat scene in at the beginning and 3 more lines of dialogue. What a waste.

- Shadow holograms constantly bugging out was annoying. That stuff is only of benefit to the audience, and, aside from the fact that 90% of it was unnecessary, when you have plot devices like these that require suspension of disbelief to make sense from an IU perspective, really what is the point. How can you justify basing your entire plot around such a temperamental, shoddy piece of equipment? When discretion and subterfuge are concerned, your disguise needs to be stable and reliable. The number of times their faulty disguises could have botched the plan, there and then, was way too many to forgive.

Everything else I think has been covered.

You wouldn't have thought consistency would be so hard to accomplish. Maybe get the same guy to direct all the episodes in an arc? You know, so we don't get these huge lapses in quality. I can't see this being a purely writing problem when it's one person who does the whole script for the entire arc.

3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Obiwan: You WON'T get away this time Dooku

Dooku: What time did i get away? Are you referring to the original intent of that sentence, which was originally a reference to my escape in Episode 2? Or is it just one of the many encounters we have had...was it yesterday? A week ago? Maybe a month?

Anakin: My powers have DOUBLED since the last time we met count.

Dooku: Good twice the pride...double the fall. Im actually referencing our duel on geonosis...in which your pride caused your downfall. Though i don't know why im picking that duel...since we have had SO MANY duels since then. And when was the last time we met, before your powers doubled?

Anakin: Now that you mention it...i can't exactly remember.

Dooku: It would make sense to say that line about your power being doubled...if the last time we met was a few years back when i chopped your hand off.

Anakin: Then why did i have the urge to say it, even though it didn't make sense?

Dooku: Becauce Anakin...there is something far greater then even my master...something known as the powers that be. This creator...originally had our last encounter be on that planet with the creepy bugs a few years back. But this creator....has a tendency to change its mind, reality has been altered, and now...i can't even remember how many times we have fought.

Anakin: It's all starting to make sense now...

4. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Nice ESB reference...and Palpatine pulls an Ackabar.

5. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Well, that was pretty awesome. :D

6. Karachi_Kenja

Karachi_Kenja Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2006
    Yes, he does! [face_laugh]

I just rewatched this and noticed that Obi-Wan actually did sort of save the day when he picked Anakin off the floor and hauled Palpatine off Dooku's shuttle [face_dancing]

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm quoting Gry from The Box discussion because I have not seen that episode and find myself a little confused.

I haven't watched this episode, but now having watched Crisis on Naboo, did they simply skip this reveal entirely? How is it presented in The Box?

8. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    At the end of Friends and Enemies, Anakin figured out with help from Rako/Obi-Wan, that Obi-Wan was still alive. To my knowledge, he had not figured out Rako=Obi-Wan.

In The Box, Anakin met with Yoda, who told him only that Obi-Wan was alive, and counseled Anakin not to go after him.

And this episode Anakin somehow knew. A completely offscreen reaction of Rako=Obi-Wan, and no reaction to the council about not being told.

9. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Thanks

Considering that this was the plot to the arc(at least the first two epsiodes) it really sounds like it was handled in a weak manner. Too bad.

10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Really thinking that Palpatine should just wear a shirt saying "The Sith Lord you're looking for" after the not so subtle comments he was making. :p

Overall, it was interesting. I liked seeing the increased security. But Mace loses points for decreasing the security detail like that. I don't care if the Chancellor ordered it, keep some clones on him at least.

Poor Embo didn't get to do much. Glad he lived though. Cad Bane was nice but a bit tired of him going to prison. The way that could have made me happy though would be if the episode ended with Bane back in prison and we see him look over at some seps and indicate something on his person that will allow them to break out. No such luck of course.

Padme... Someone tell me why she was the first to Palpatine at the end? How were the other guards not keeping her back? You just had one Republic leader attacked and it's a good idea to bring out another (frequently targeted) politician without much backup? What if there were Magnaguards still in the palace. Naboo security is terrible.

For a brief moment, I thought the capture Palpatine thing was a red herring for a much more interesting assassination attempt on the current Queen of Naboo. Now THAT would have been a great twist. This Queen isn't the one in ROTS I think so that would actually work out well.

11. Darth_Gamek

Darth_Gamek Jedi Master star 6

Aug 10, 2009
    Since Filoni got over his embarrassment (for lack of a better term) for voicing Embo, I expect more Embo in Season 5. [face_not_talking]

12. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Well, I'm surprised some people were disappointed in this episode. This episode exceeded my expectations. It also had the best Dooku duel to date. Speaking of Dooku, I like how he wins in the end. It shows that Dooku is still a much stronger Force-user than Anakin and doesn't contradict his line about his power doubling since the last time they met.

I have two problems with this episode though. One is that Cad Bane wasn't as badass as he usually is. I wish he escaped. Going to prison again after just getting out is a stain on his reputation. The other problem is that I noticed a lot of the same charater models in the same scene. However, those are relatively small cons compared to all the positive aspects of this episode.

It's good to know that TCW is still being original.

Why couldn't we get stuff like this in the micro-series? Oh well, I'm going to just keep pretending that the stupid micro-series never existed.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    For the love of God man, you're baiting at this point with your incessant micro-series hate.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I like the TCW Anakin but by the end of ROTS, he does seem like a well-meaning simpleton.

I don't understand why they can't/won't use the same director for the entire arc.

For those ripping on the holograph disguise, IU I don't think they were malfunctioning. Remember it's a kids' show, guys.

15. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Not baiting, more like lamenting at this point. You'd think that Genndy doing a Star Wars series would be a dream come true. On the bright side, it DID inspire Lucas to start the CGI series.

16. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    As I said, the flickers are only of benefit to the audience, so stupid kids don't forget the Senate guard reaching for the shield generator is actually a baddie. But they have to have an IU explanation, because you can't refute that those flickers are happening IU, even if they're only meant for OOU purposes. It looks like it's constantly malfunctioning. Why else would it randomly flicker on and off like that?

17. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The humanoids could've just put on the armor. I just don't understand why they had to create this "holographic" disguise for them.

18. AvadaKenobi

AvadaKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 2, 2009
    I think the problem lies with why Anakin was upset. Instead of him being angry about thinking Obi-Wan was dead and finding out he was fine (a "You had me thinking you died, you jerk!" kinda thing would've been more powerful), Anakin was mad at being kept out of the loop. Focusing on lying and secrets made it less personal. Anakin should be mad at Obi-Wan for scaring him with his death. Makes Anakin more sympathetic.

I agree when people here say that Anakin should've been told at some point, but dang. Not everything in the damn galaxy should revolve around him. Why should the Council treat Anakin with kid gloves? So, he throws tantrums and doesn't listen to anyone but Palps (which is weird). Big deal. I like Anakin, but he has a real entitlement complex.

Which I guess is the whole point of the prequels, eh? lol

19. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    WAAAHHH! Ahsoka did not save the day like Filoni promised that she would! I will now scream and pout and flop around on the floor and kick my legs and flail my arms because I did not get what I was promised!

Anyhow, not the best of the arc, and somewhat anti-climactic compared to the build up of the first two episodes, but a decent episode nonetheless.
    + Great to see Anakin's anger and frustration at Obi-Wan and the Council. Excellent confrontation.
    + Cad Bane continues to be one of the best villains in the galaxy.
    + Anakin/Dooku battle was well done. Their Force battle seems to crackle with more power than any before it.
    + Chancellor orchestrating another test of his Sith hopefuls.

- Chancellor-in-danger is dangerously coming close to a Padme-in-danger overdone plot line.
    - Anakin taking TWO punches to the face from fake Chancellor. He's not that thick in the head.

[image=http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/clonewarspics/anakinutensils.jpg]
    Anakin would be honored if you would join him for dinner.

20. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Whatever Embo did or didn't do, the disguises, to me that is just window dressing. I loved this episode, FINALLY some red meat in the last 1/3 of the episode, I loved the duel with Anakin and Dooku with Palpatine watching, testing Anakin to see if he really is worthy to become his next apprentice. This battle showed that he isn't ready yet, but every time he faces Dooku he is getting better and getting closer to besting him till he finally does. Anakin is an arrogant guy when he says his powers have "doubled" it's probably best not to take him at face value. The scene with Anakin's angrily lashing out at Obi Wan for not being trusted was fantastic. Can't wait for the next 4 episodes, I guess we are still getting Dengar and references to Mortis in the next episodes? Awesome.

21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol love this screenshot with forks in the arm.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

A completely offscreen reaction of Rako=Obi-Wan, and no reaction to the council about not being told.

Hear, hear! You want to tie this in to Anakin's losing faith in the Council, you start with this. You don't off screen it. Dumb, bumber, and stupid.

Darn that Palps for feeding that entitlement complex!

I'd love to see someone tell Anakin just because he's the Chosen One doesn't make him the center of the galaxy...but if someone did, Anakin wouldn't believe them anyway.

23. Sword_Of_Goliath

Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2010
    I don't think this was the best episode of the series or anything, however, I also don't think it was mishandled.

Anakin's response was consistent with the character we know. He is able to apply his Jedi training, such as detachment, on a surface level. Once he discovered that Obi was alive, his next thought was about himself. The story is about how someone who "knows nothing of greed" ends up being entirely selfish. Deep probing dramatic dialogue is not what SW does best (if ever), it is a pure embodiment of "show don't tell." If Anakin really loved Obi he would never turn against him in RotS. His love is provisional. After his mother's death it is an all-or-nothing proposition, "You are either with me or against me". Obi & Padme are hopelessly optimistic about this person they care for. As often happens in life, our love for a person, or our expectations for them, "cloud" our judgment, a recurring theme in SW. I like how Mace was handled in this episode, you can really see his distrust, impatience, and even dislike of Ani. He's seeing the real person.

The scene between Ani & Obi was handled perfectly. They are two hardened soldiers fighting a war. Ani knows Obi can handle himself. What starts eating him is that he was not a part of the equation. His ego can't stand that.

It would have felt entirely false if they had a scene were he was all about Obi being alive: "Danmmit, I was crying myself to sleep you jerk!!" Ani's a cold customer. We see that again (and again) and again. Especially when it involves his glorified self image. He was clearly happy to see Obi again but his thoughts were really on himself. It's his Achilles Heel, and the leverage Sidious uses to turn him.

Pretty obvious stuff, if you ask me...

24. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Werent they afraid taht for example Bat Eerin or some other friend of Kenobis might hunt down and kill Hardeen after he escaped?

It would had been too bad for Anakin.

25. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Holy flying forks Batman ! Now we know why Master Obi Wan would be "very grumpy" if he saw Anakin floating his dinner , definitely dark side table manners.