main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 421: Brothers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Gry Sarth, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, I can totally relate to that, even though I'm not an Ahsoka-hater. I just wish things were back to the way they were before Maul returned.

The general sentiment I'm expressing is just that I want him gone, gone, GONE. Don't care how.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, me too. At this point, Obi-Wan should just kill him. Even though it does look bad and sadly he didn't kill him the first time now, they should just let him finish him.

This time, they duel over a volcano, and Maul falls in it.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  3. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Or better yet, Obi-Wan topples an entire volcano on top of Maul... no wait.

...suddenly I'm having doubts as to what will be adequate enough to kill anyone in SW.

4. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    :(

And given Filoni's recent quote... [face_plain]

5. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Boy, you're really playing well off each other, aren't you? :p

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    A perfect description.

7. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    By now, box office sales for Phantom Menace must have died down a bit, so Maul's already outlived his usefulness. So next year, it's Boba donning the armor or Jango's talking head in a jar. They must have sent him home with a memo staing "Don't Maul us, we'll Maul you."

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Qui-Gon is dead and that is that. There is zero chance they will bring him back in corporeal form.

Speaking of which, now his return in TCW was well done. I don't mind the guilty pleasure of seeing a dead film favorite back but do it in a way that doesn't directly contradict the movies themselves.

9. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    A bit? It's been dying for weeks now. :p

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We can't have Ahsoka kill Maul, that would just be wrong. Having him kill her would be welcome, though. :p

Then for Maul, they simply have to have Obi-Wan kill him again, only this time he chops his head off too. Then they hook his torso up to a heart monitor and show the flatline clearly onscreen. Then show the cremation of all the parts of his body. Then show the ashes being deposited in small quantities all over the galaxy. Would that make him dead this time? :p

11. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Not really. A little Nightsister magic can always fix that.

12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Dang, good point.

13. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Just how are the reactions to then what goes on in the EU ... regarding this similar situation.

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    If Qui-Gon rises, they have some big issues seeing as how he was BURNT TO A CRISP. He's ashes. If his ashes magically reform and plug that sucking chest wound of his, then frankly, HE'S the Chosen One. [face_laugh]

15. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Not anything that should be discussed in this thread for the Brothers episode.

16. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    It seems that there is an assumption that the EU is somehow universally loved by hardcore EU fans, when that really isn't the case.

In terms of surprise character return's from the dead I disliked the return of Palpatine and Fett both, probably just as much as I disliked this return of Maul, at the time. Over a couple decades I grew to accept, and even enjoy, Fett's return but never, ever grew to accept Palpatine's. Fortunatly it was just easy to kinda avoid/ignore that plot line in the over reaching story.

Each situation will be taken and viewed by the individual. There is no one size fits all answer. Eeth Koth got brought back to life via the Wildspace novel(as a result of his use in the show) and I had pretty much zero issues with it. I didn't like what TCW's did choose to do with Even Piell because it did effect novels that were already written(and likely ones still being written as well).

The Maul situation takes away from TPM as a film. It ruins the emotional impact surrounding that amazing lightsaber battle, Qui Gon's death and Obi-Wan's victory. It's changed forever how that scene from the film will be viewed. For the rest of forever when new fans watch that film there will be someone tapping them on the shoulder telling them "You know that Maul never really died right?"

17. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Like you said, it's all down to the individual experience. I personally thought this Maul revival scheme would be a potential "Karkarodon-jumping moment" when I first heard about it actually being followed through, but after thinking about it for a while, I eventually saw it as of lesser concern than the blatantly pandering "small Galaxy" cameos of Greedo, Bossk and Dengar. Even Padme's S1 escapades in epidemiology irritate me more than Maul's revival now, taking out of the story to a much greater extent.

I came to this conclusion because (IMO) Maul is as good as dead to the characters who matter in TPM and the other films, in particular Sidious, Obi-Wan and the Jedi Council, even if he isn't actually dead. To Sidious, Maul is a failed apprentice whose competence was found wanting, and he hasn't exactly come crawling back to his Master after his defeat, so he's pretty much assumed to be dead. To Obi-Wan and the other Jedi, he's destroyed and no longer a threat. Obi-Wan's defeat of him is legitimate and a Jedi does not need to do anything more than neutralise the threat to the Galaxy. Qui-Gon is "avenged" (or, from the detached Jedi PoV that Obi-Wan should have grown into since TCW, the dangerous Sith who killed Qui-Gon is prevented from killing others) and Obi-Wan proves his worthiness, no matter whether Maul is alive or dead.

It would have been bad if Maul had been found by Savage in this episode as he was exerting an influence on the rest of the Galaxy. However, that isn't what Maul is doing. He's a cannibalistic hermit, locked away in his Shelob Lair, wallowing in his pitiful insanity and self-hatred. My concerns were unwarranted, since Maul is shown in this episode to be a complete irrelevance. When looking at the story of the Star Wars films overall, the fact that Maul is not actually killed by his bisection is an interesting footnote, but ultimately meaningless.

18. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I can't view any events from the films to be meaningless. They are the backbone of this franchise and when they make the choice to snap that backbone in two(or put one back together for that matter:p) it has a significant effect.

19. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I didn't say I thought the death of Maul was meaningless, just the fact that he doesn't actually die. His "non-death" has pretty much the same effect as his "death" so everything that follows - Obi-Wan's knighthood, Sidious' new apprentice, etc. - is just as meaningful.

Just my interpretation.

20. quiller

quiller Jedi Master star 2

Jun 1, 2005
    Fair enough my only though with this episode was what they did with Maul is no different that what seems to be a common aspect of EU, bringing back a character killed previously.

I have watched the show again and found the pace a little better on the second viewing though did find the Maul's model to be a little lacking as I viewed it a little closer, pausing and rewinding on my DVR.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    If people are going to hate on Maul's return in this thread, can you at least try to tie it to this episode somehow?? We already have a thread for the abstract discussion on Maul's return, and it seems a lot of this thread has devolved into just that, almost as if the episode never aired or didn't matter.

Let's discuss what happened in this episode.

22. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Um, this is the actual episode where Darth maul returned. Talking about Darth Maul returning in the thread for the episode where he actually returned, that just seems logical to me.

Note that in the 422 Discussion I personally did focus on what appeared in that episode, not on Maul's reurn. This, on the other hand, is the episode where Maul does return, and I think that talking about the leap from TPM to Brothers fits perfectly into the discussion.

23. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    It fits into the discussion, it's just sad to see so much of that and so little discussion of things that actually happened in the episode (as in, the stuff other than Maul, or the details of how he's come back). Whether it should have happened is the same discussion we've had since I think even before Monster. I'd like to discuss how they did it, since we've seen it now.

And just so you know, I wasn't singling you or anyone else out, I just looked at the past few pages and it all looks like more "Darth Maul Lives?!?!" thread stuff.

24. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Robimus is right, discussing Maul's return in the thread for the episodes where he returns is certainly not off-topic. Sure, it would be nice to have it all contained to the "Darth Maul Lives?!" thread, but it's not a breach of the rules or anything.

25. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I know it's not against the rules or anything, I just like to hear myself complain, and I would like to see some discussion that couldn't have taken place before this episode aired.