main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 422: Revenge Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    You see... my detailed points... if you have another take... and are willing to articulate it... perhaps we could discuss it?

Wrong, Dathomir is home to Force-witches as they're referred to anywhere but in TCW. Their "magicks" are the Force. Dark Side spells, sorcery, amulets, etc., was all part of the EU even before the PT.

In one of the other episode threads, someone posted an excerpt from "The Book of the Sith" where Mother Talzin talks about how the Nightsisters use the Force.

2. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    You said that they made the fact that Maul, after being cut in half and receiving no medical attention afterwards, created bionic spiderlegs for himself, believable. Think about that: you're talking about a torso performing surgery on itself. You also said that they made the fact that Maul received new cybernetic legs by not having it occur offscreen, where presumably someone would do it through an application of complicated surgical procedures and advanced engineering, the way such a thing most probably will be doable in the future (future, I said? no, such a thing is already possible), but by having a witch use magic mist to magically pick up scrap parts, magically forge them into a shiny new apparatus in seconds, and magically attach them to his torso onscreen, believable.

I seriously can't accept that you were serious.

3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    My thoughts about what happened on Theed:
    1.) I believe that Mechu Deru is a latent ability that has a propensity to manifest in the Dathomiri
    2.) When Maul fell, he focused his hatred on Kenobi to prevent death from putting out his fire
    3.) Trash got dumped same day & shuttled off-world. In the chaos, Maul stuck to the Sith code
    4.) Furious about crawling on his hands, w/ no hope of escape or any idea where he is, Maul lost his grip on reality
    5.) Anger and rage festering, Maul starts drawing things towards himself with the force
    6.) Somehow, his mental regression stops @ Mustafar and he remembers the spider droid....
    7.) Rage + Mechu Deru + Insanity + Dark Side of the Force = $#!+ I can't really explain.
    :p

My thoughts about what happened on Dathomir:
    1.) Talzin pulls three shadows out of Maul, & the first 2 appear to be discarded
    2.) When Talzin calls the cables, Maul's body arches upward as the metal is made into a tentacle
    3.) The third shadow is re-spun into green Ichor & then used to infuse metal, animate/restore Maul
    4.) When the Ichor hits his waist, the parts become molten metal
    5.) During the Mechu-Deru fusion & transformation, Maul howls, shrieks & cries out in pain
    6.) Maul sits up, taps his head & Ichor comes out, Talzin disappears as Maul shrugs off her influence
    7.) Maul says: "My legs" as he leans forward & 'flexes' a clawed foot
    8.) Then, he draws his right 'knee' up as if to stretch
    9.) I wonder if Sidious felt his roar? I like to think he did.
    10.) I now believe that Mechu Deru means 'Living Metal'

My thoughts about Maul in combat:
    1.) With a heavier base, he should be harder to move
    2.) He might be a tad slower, but his mechanical legs are better for his fighting style
    3.) His use of Dun Moch was awesome (Go eat some Bantha Poo-Doo, Hego)
    4.) Not combat, but I loved how he parroted Sidious: "Mercilessly and without compromise"
    5.) He was ten times better than Savage in combat, as it should be for a Dark Lord, even half of one
    6.) The snarls were awesome, & a great way to show how Maul has changed. Gloves are off, Jedi.
    7.) Maul with one saber is arguably more badass than Maul with a double blade

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Someone should tell Lucas.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    We're done talking like Captain Kirk? Fiddlesticks.

I don't think Darth Maul ever performed surgery on himself, and that was never part of the episode. It's still just my own conjecture that Darth Maul created his spider-legs, but what I said was that it makes it more believable than it would otherwise be seeing how crappy the spider-legs are. He didn't put together some modern marvel, he slapped together some scrap and plopped himself in it. Even that is my own conjecture, it's never said in the episode. For all we know he didn't create the spider-legs. And Mother Talzin creating the bipedal legs is made believable by showing it. What are you saying Mother Talzin can't do? She hasn't done anything more powerful than we've seen her do already. You're fussing over her ability to connect plant life to nerve endings, did you see her turn Savage Opress from someone of average build into a behemoth? You can't possibly be objecting to her picking up objects with the Force. Heating up the metal and being able to mold it is a new Force trick, but not the most powerful thing we've seen Mother Talzin do by a long shot. Once the metal is heated, you don't really need any extra Force-powers besides the telekinesis we're all familiar with to do the molding, and the heat is no surprise from a Force-using culture so close to nature. Like I said, if they just mentioned it as something that had happened I would have had a problem with it, but when they show every detail it can't be denied.

6. Fistofan55

Fistofan55 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2009
    No, it's not. If it's all mere opinion, then there is no argument on anything and we're all just idiots typing stuff like it's some "discussion". But that's the point, right?
    @Quango: ^same applies

I don't have a problem with Maul coming back. I've always wanted it to happen, actually. I just don't like how TCW team decided to use a bad story to pull it off. Compared to most other animated shows, this show continues to be a joke in comparison.

Bad writing is defined as FACT. No opinion here. No argument here. The opinion aspect is whether you accept the story regardless of how bad it is.

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I would say something like that too, Fistofan, but I'd rather not get into such an argument here. ;)

8. melkor834

melkor834 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2009
    And may I ask what animated shows you are watching? Because the majority of animated shows I have seen are vastly worse.

9. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    FACT: writing fact in bold caps turns opinion into fact.

10. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    You guys clarified my post well. :p

11. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Come again? I agree with you that Katie Lucas is a terrible-to-mediocre writer, but other people might consider her a genius.

You could say she had a grammatical error in one of her sentences, and that would be a fact. But your belief that the writing is bad is simply your belief - it can be based on a preponderance of the available evidence, and that would make it difficult to refute. Still not fact though.[face_peace]

Anyway, the real question this arc brings up is: in ROTS, did Dooku's hatred get his severed head to an escape pod in time to survive the crash on Coruscant?

12. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    As a quick review of this episode: I can't stand Katie Lucas's dialogue writing. She's a lousy writer. I can see that she only tries to create suitable storylines, but it can fall apart by the amount of issues that surface through the script. It's not only her, since I do see many other writers just struggle to create something coherent in TCW. Sometimes their stories work, but at times, their stories just fall flat. Do they even check dialogue or the scripts in general in TCW? I guess not.

(this is my own opinion review. Don't attack it as if you believe I'm stating something factual, when I'm not. :p )

13. jedi-soon

jedi-soon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 27, 2001
    "I can feel the hate flowing thru you!" [face_sick]

Maul's return was handled plausibly. Now to see if they can deliver on his missed potential. With his extreme similarity to the Christian conceptualization of Satan, I always thought he should have been instrumental in turning Anakin. In fact, I like to imagine that when he swooped in on him and Qui-Gon in TPM that he just slightly grazed the boy, his merest touch being enough to taint him with evil. Even tho I've been enjoying a little less Anakin overall this season, I would like to see him confront Maul and have it contribute to his fall in at least some small way.

Nice to see Ventress working with Kenobi. You've come a long way, baby!

14. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    I just watched my last clone wars ep... I haven't read all these pages, but I have one word to sum up my clone wars experience.

RIDICULOUS.......

Obiwan got pawned by a half Maul. Check
    Witch crap. Check
    Nobody died. Check (I have come to believe there will be no big deaths. Ahsoka will definitely live.)
    The Jedi are idiots. Check

This show just seems so 'out there'........

One last thing, damn, Maul is one quick learner huh?

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I was actually really glad no main characters died in this episode. I didn't want anyone to and I was afraid someone would.

16. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There were moments I thought they might kill off Asajj, like when she's making a break for the cockpit, but even though nobody died in this episode... nobody ever seems to die in lightsaber fights and I think that kind of lessens the threat the Sith pose. They engage in duels from time to time, but then everyone walks away.

Qui-Gon died in TPM, and Kit/Agen/Saesee died in ROTS, but that's really it. I don't really count Obi-Wan in ANH, because he merged with the Force at will. But Dooku kills nobody. Of all the Jedi killed in the Clone Wars virtually 100% are killed by droids. There was Nahdar killed by Grievous, and that puts Grievous ahead of Dooku.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    [image=http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/482599.1020.A.jpg]

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, bad writing is not defined as a fact. It's just your opinion, nothing more. And writing it in caps and bold won't make it more of a fact either. It will only show a desperate attempt to make your opinion above all else (which is not).

19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    No.

But I hear that one of his hands made it.
    ;)

Said this elsewhere, but relevant just the same:

Maul is the REAL threat that Dooku and the droid moron, aren't. He is the Jedi killer to fear & loathe, WE will hate him for the way he tortures and then slays them. When grievous confronts a Jedi, I lose interest in the story because I cannot accept that he represents a viable threat.

Yet, in Maul's first TCW appearance, he force pushes Obi into a clothesline and then a while later, he force-pulls Kenobi's face into his physical-grasp.... I felt for Obi Wan when Maul mocked Jinn's death before kicking his ass. The droid general can provide none of that and Dooku has already been choked by the neophyte forceling that Maul calls brother. Anakin will be confronted by Maul, or vice versa. I believe Kenobi will kill Savage, but Maul kills Tano if she is to die.

All the kids will hate Maul for that = LFL- mission accomplished.

20. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Dooku and Jango's severed heads will return. [face_beatup]

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Hyperbole is fun, we get it.

In case you guys are unaware, in Tales of the Jedi there actually is a Sith Lord who is just a decapitated head. I always thought that was an awesome idea.

22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Don't give them any ideas.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Don't worry, the EU has already took care of them.

24. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    ...Until Filoni or anyone from TCW retook care of them.

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I love that Maul's back, but damn is he dumb. Why openly challenge the Jedi when clearly he had the element of surprise on his side? Here's their chance to show that Darth Maul is this intelligent warrior, and what do they do, they make him an impatient savage? Witwer claimed we will see Maul's cunning in the next season, and so I hope we see Vader-like strategy that will prove he was a true Sith Lord after all and not just Sidious' hitman.