main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episode 422: Revenge Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Barriss_Coffee, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v373/JoZ/TheOffice.jpg]

2. Grendelspyce

Grendelspyce Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2006
    Is it possible Talzin wants to become Sidious' apprentice? Why else would she throw her clan into the meat grinder the way she did? Perhaps this is all an elaborate scheme to prove her strength/usefulness to Darth Sidious.

Either that or, y'know, bad writing. [face_thinking]

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Not as much of a floor-mat. Take that same length of time that elapses in that clip and apply it to AOTC or ROTS's Dooku fight, and Obi-Wan would probably be on the floor by the end. The fact that he's still on his feet in the clip is a good sign :p

4. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I could be bad writing, but for now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, since Filoni seemed to acknowledge that nobody knows what she's really doing and that we'll learn more about her and what her goals are.

5. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Mine too. And then I thought something horrible.

What if it's the other way around? It would make tons more sense if Obi-Wan somehow sacrificed himself for Ventress.

But they can't kill Obi-Wan.

Can they? [face_plain]

You know, can of worms being open and all... [face_worried]

*puts on tinfoil hat*

This season finale is having me worried more and more all the time. [face_laugh]

EDIT:

Whoa... talking about tinfoil:

Imagine, in the final shot of the episode: Maul is about to strike down Kenobi, and for an instance we suddenly see him revealed as...

... THE SON

DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

[face_laugh]

That would mean Maul isn't real! [face_laugh]:_|

ZOMG someone hand me a tissue :_|[face_laugh]

6. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm waiting for the Star Trek-esque episode where a main character dies, leaving the fans with a "what the hell?" moment, only for the character to be resurrected via some space-time anomaly or something at a later time. I wouldn't put it past Lucas.

7. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    MORTIS!

....'Of death'

DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN

[face_laugh]:_|

8. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I guess they did do that with Ahsoka. But it's better than another "homage," this time to Wrath of Khan/Search for Spock where Obi-Wan is killed, but his corpse winds up on a planet whose properties have him reborn and conveniently age rapidly until he's biologically the right age - beard and all - by the end of the episode :p

9. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

I can see where they'd mortally injure Obi-wan and leave that as the cliff hanger. I mean they could always put him in a coma for a little while and wake him up later if its possible to injure someone like that in the GFFA. I dunno. That's lame but its the main way I can think of an Obi-wan sacrafice working. I also am slightly worried about the possibility that they could pull an old character out in the finale kinda like they did with Waxer or Echo. Not likely a clone but those are the two best examples I can think of. It might just be the chick from "Bounty".

10. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I think that kind of selflessness on Obi-Wan's part could further push Asajj away from the Dark Side and would be a good cliff-hanger if we didn't all know that he already survives. But since Filoni and Lucas absolutely refuse to show Palpatine as an outright villain because there are kids that watch the show and haven't seen ROTS yet, I could see Lucas and Filoni similarly using an Obi-Wan "death" as a cliff-hanger for that tiny fraction of the audience that is watching the show without jumping ahead to the films.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm not saying that's a good cliff hanger. I'm saying that's the only way I can think of to do a heroic sacrifice with Obi-wan here. And if nothing else it would leave us with the question... How long is Obi-wan out of comission and what will this do to the journey of getting to ROTS if one of the best Jedi Generals is out of the picture for a while? We know Obi-wan will be fine but that's good potential growth of other characters.

12. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Or, you know, he dies.

Can of worms. :p

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They could always just have Maul cut Obi-Wan in half and send him falling down a deep pit. Evidently that's not a big deal anymore. :oops:

14. Humble_Jedi

Oct 14, 2004
    Exactly my point. [face_laugh]

Obi-Wan: How did it feel when I cut you in two?
    Maul: Something like this!

:_|

Sitara likes this.
  15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't like the coma idea, but the general idea of having Obi-Wan willing to throw himself in harm's way to save Asajj could be a powerful moment and would be a good cliffhanger if there was a moment of ambiguity as to whether or not Obi-Wan died, if we didn't already know that Obi-Wan can't die during the events of TCW. IMO, it's more lame and annoying if they tried to pull a "does Obi-Wan live or die" cliffhanger, since we already know he doesn't, but they are already catering to the tiny little kids that haven't seen ROTS yet with the whole Sidious/Palpatine thing, so I wouldn't put it past them.

16. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Obi-Wan cannot die, so that's already tensionless there.

Not to mention they already "killed" Obi-Wan in an arc before this one. So how many times will Obi-Wan die during the CW? Obi-Three will be Obi-Four soon.

17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    That pretty much sums up the prequels and TCW as a whole :p

Ahsoka, Rex, Fives, Asajj, Savage, Talzin and Maul are really the only characters that they can really do much with. And depending on who you ask, some people probably care only about some of these but not others. But regardless, live or die, none of the players have any impact on the events beyond TCW anyway. If the last episode runs concurrently with Order 66 and Rex doesn't shoot Ahsoka and Ahsoka survives and just fades away in to the Galaxy, that doesn't change the fact that she doesn't affect ROTS or the OT in anyway. The only thing that would affect is when the EU writers inevitably have her resurface post-ROTJ to join Luke and we have the continuing adventures of Ahsoka and she can tell Luke about his father, and everything can be peaches and cream. So might as well just kill them all off.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Ofcourse they can always flip this around the use Ventress's supposed death for the cliff hanger. It seems like Ventress's popularity is pretty high.

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm kind of just running with the idea of there being a cliffhanger because others were discussing it. Do we know for a fact that there is a cliff hanger?

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think fan demand for a cliff hanger ending to the season and ForceCast speculating on it is where this cliff hanger ending stuff came from. I listened to the roundtable for "Brothers" and they were still speculating on a cliff hanger ending for the season. I can't remember if anybody has actually confirmed it. I think that review that was posted earlier in this thread that mentions an incredible parting shot fuels this further. I'm counting on one myself if this episode really is a game changer, it just seems fitting.

21. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Or perhaps Obi-Wan tries to sacrifice himself for Ventress, but Ventress insteads "gets an epiphany" and jumps in front of him after we've all decided based on prior events that she would not.

Unless Talzin saves him?

Or Savage?

Ok [face_laugh] I'm getting ridiculous spouting theories, but it's fun if implausible.

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    This all just begs the question to me that if Maul is out there and wants revenge on Obi-Wan, and is trying to summon Obi-Wan to him, why not send Mace Windu and/or Yoda and be done with it? Why send the council member that could just as likely lose when it's just him vs. Maul (not to mention Savage is there too)? Yoda was there to save Obi-Wan and Anakin in AOTC, and he takes an active role in ROTS. But here, when an enemy that could have feasibly killed Obi-Wan the first time around is joined by his brother who also is becoming increasingly powerful, you send in Obi-Wan, by himself... Not even Cody with his men there to back him up. Is this some kind of Jedi honor code? You get called out so you answer the challenge alone? If he's making it that obvious for Obi-Wan to pinpoint him, just send in a Y-wing bomber :p

[image=http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/data/roadbike/500/NukeOrbit.jpg]

23. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I agree. Sending Obi Wan just means they're taking Maul's bait. Come on Jedi, don't feed the bad guy what he wants, you should be above responding to these types of things.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I suspect Sidious and Talzin are playing a long-term strategy game for the goal; galactic dominance. Sidious' war has come, and now Talzin want's to wrest control of it from him.

Ironically, this entire arc was begun by Sidious ordering Dooku to kill Ventress... if he was expecting Dooku to fail, it was a matter of time before Ventress rushed to Talzin, Talzin attempted revenge on Dooku, and it lured Talzin and the Nightsisters into play. The only one who isn't at risk here is Sidious, who can happily watch his underlings and the Nightsisters duel it out.

Maul may be a skifter, but being as we don't know who saved Maul, this could all be some elaborate scheme for Sidious to have Maul replace Dooku, or to keep Dooku sufficiently distracted that he won't try and take out Sidious mid-war, also ruining the plan.

I like the idea of every darksider in hiding jumping out of the woodwork to take advantage of the war, in an effort to wrest control.

If anyone has been following Fate of the Jedi (no Apocalypse spoilers, btw, follow (I have not read it (yet))), a group of Senators, officers and a Moff conspire to create a situation where the Alliance has no choice but to enact emergency measures and they will create a voting bloc powerful enough to recreate the Empire... the Sith fan the flames of the crisis that is the pretext for this, take advantage, and then seize control of the Senate and the Alliance, allowing the conspirators to do all the work for them while they reap the rewards...

... that's kinda how I view the Nightsisters. Do not forget, around the time of the Clone Wars movie, Jedi Alliance, the DS game, takes place, involving another clan of Nightsisters who ally with Dooku and Ventress before attempting to destroy Coruscant, stealing the sister ship to the Malevolence, itself equipped with a superweapon...

... so it could just be Sidious creating a situation whereby the strongest remaining clan(s) die.

Wouldn't surprise me.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If the episode weren't airing tonight, I'd tell you to be careful not to give the writers any dialogue ideas! [face_laugh]