main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.1 - Revival - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    Close enough.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Remember let's keep the discussion on this episode please.

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Garth Maul Yeah, it's pretty much starting to look like a post episode discussion thread. Where we go off topic. :p

4. DARKAURUM

DARKAURUM Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2002
    so is this episode part of canon, then? that would start to seem worrisome, not just for whatever taterred remains are left of the old eu stuff, but newer eu. maybe it starts to intrude on established movie canon too . i mean, lucas is in charge, and as a high quality cinematic serial, it has more cachet as 'authentic' star wars than a novel or videogame. anyway, just rambling.

as for the episode, overall i liked it, the fight between obi-wan and the sith was very, very cool. the other jedi kinda went out like a punk tho, there was no story arc that closed with her death, unlike nahdar vebb, or that other jedi dude that got killed when he was overwhelmed by droids on ryloth, i think. i mean, i guess most deaths in a war are kinda pointless, and i'm really hoping that's what the writers were going for.

but maybe they killed her because she's a named character and it's supposed to add to the drama. like during the new jedi order novel series when they'd kill a random jedi from the established post return of the jedi canon just cause they could and it would add tension.

LongLiveCloneWars likes this.
  5. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Also to ruin Obsession some more.

6. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Good to know the horns aren't just ornamental ;)

Reminds me of Futurama when Lrrr got horn extensions :p

Mr. Atom Bomb likes this.
  7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    My gosh people complain about everything these days. You know its very rare for Obiwan to wield 2 blades, most of the time he only uses just 1. So i don't see the big deal in having him use 2 once in a while. Just like Obiwan normally doesn't wield a red blade....but sometimes exceptions are made, and we are shown said exceptions.

You are making this a big deal. It's not like Obiwan's going to keep his fallen comrade's weapon and keep duel wielding throughout the rest of season 5.

You know who else is going to wield 2 blades in TCW, who normally doesn't in canon? Palpatine. And yes im sure Palpatine can take on Maul and Savage with just 1 blade (worked in taking on several jedi) and win, and yes i would prefer if he used just one.

BUT

I'm not going to complain that he is using 2, because the battle will still be awesome.

People just love to nitpick on the smallest details.

AkashKedavra_93 and Spazmatron like this.
  8. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It's not because he's using a dual blade. It's because it seems that everyone in TCW is using dual blades now. There's no logic to it, unless the character was trained using dual blades (no, Ahsoka does not count yet imo). It seems more like fan service or for a "cool" factor.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  9. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Everyone is not duel wielding in TCW. Most jedi don't make duel wielding a habit (most only carry and use one blade). It may seem like TCW is showing a lot of duel wielding, but that simply is because compared to say the 6 films, we have had more screen time for lightsaber duels, therefore giving us more options then just the typical single wielder vs single wielder. This is just like the double bladed lightsaber, which like duel wielding lightsabers, we only saw 1 incident happen in the films, however because TCW deals with more light saber battles and more lightsaber wielding characters then the movies, we are given more of a variety of lightsabers.

AkashKedavra_93 and Spazmatron like this.
  10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    YOU WANT COMPLAINTS?!
    HOW ABOUT KILLING A CHARACTER WITH A PRE-ESTABLISHED FATE JUST TO UP THE TENSION AND SAY: "LOOK MAUL AND RANDY ARE A THREAT, SEE!!!1!!1!1"

[​IMG]

11. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Seems like everyone. ;)

Obi-Wan and now Sidious are using dual blades against Randy and Maul. How come? Why can't they just use one blade? Because there's two of them? That's a load of crap. Obviously it seems they're suggesting that a Jedi Master and the most powerful Sith cannot handle Maul and his steroid abusing brother. Sidious's dual usage, above all, doesn't make much sense. It is most likely for the "cool factor" and for fanboys to have fangasms over the fact that Sidious could use dual blades at his disposal. But then again, we also saw Obi-Wan use dual blades in this episode. What's next? Mace carries a spare purple lightsaber somewhere?

12. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Who cares about who uses what, just sit back and enjoy the show :)

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    What is this sorcery

14. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    [face_rofl]

LongLiveCloneWars likes this.
  15. DARKAURUM

DARKAURUM Jedi Master star 3

Jan 21, 2002
    jackg1
    hehe, 'randy'. anyway, that's worse than i thought. it's not just that you're killing off named, established characters at random in a cheap attempt to raise the dramatic tension. but now you're ignoring established canon to do so, when you don't even really have to.

jackg1 likes this.
  16. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not necessarily disagreeing with you, GG, but at least with Sidious there's some manner of precedent. Since Revenge of the Sith first came out, it's been established that he owns at least two lightsabers. And while I'm not sure if it's ever made it into an official source, Nick Gillard mentioned that Sidious' fighting style was conceived with the intention that he was both ambidextrous and trained in all of the fighting forms. So Jar'Kai-based duel wielding isn't that far out. For Sidious, anyway.

I'm still curious to see how they're going to handle the whole lightsaber-stashed-in-the-statue-until-ROTS business, though.

17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me about that, so it's not all foreign to see him using dual blades. But still the premise seems very fan servicey. I'll have to wait and see.

Most likely it's because of how they introduced it at CVI.

18. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    i don't live in the US or UK or canada so when is the episode going to be online ?

19. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Adi's death was quite graphic for a child I think with the whole standing there helplessly after she got stabbed by the horns and then cut down with a lightsaber. The series is definitely going down a darker, more adult themed path (much like s4, which is good). I didn't like how Adi wasn't mentioned at the end of the episode when the jedi were together or how there was no memorial for her like with Piel back in Season 3. She is a leading member on the council, so I think there should have been some mention of her in the least. I'm also pretty sure I heard Hondo refer to Maul and Savage as "horny" or something. Maybe I'm wrong, I'll have to rewatch it when I can.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't think the writers are making Obiwan and Palpatine use 2 lightsabers just because they are each fighting 2 opponents. After all, the writers made it so Dooku just used 1 blade to take on Ventress and Savage, and also just 1 when he was fighting 2 nightsisters and Ventress (while partially blind). So its not like the TCW writers are against the idea of 1 person taking on 2+ opponents with just 1 blade.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  21. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Well, we see funeral scenes in the s5 trailer, so maybe hers will be included in there somewhere.

Ironic. Her death is retconned, and yet they don't fix the big problem with her old "death". No closure. Despite my annoyance with this, I hope she does get some kind of burial at least.

Oh well, I already know what I'm doing with the old EU material in my head, so I do look forward to seeing where the show goes from this point onward (or I think I do anyway...)

22. Sompeetalay

Sompeetalay Jedi Master star 2

Dec 17, 1999
    This new hour for broadcast is horrible ! The new episode guide on SW.com hasn't even been updated. When will that happen? In 2013? [face_waiting]

23. DaRonin

DaRonin Jedi Master star 1

Jan 3, 2005
    Established canon? since when did Adi die in any of the films or prior seasons of Clone Wars? Thats established canon. Sorry, the EU is not canon. As good as some of it is, it is not, has never been, and never will be, canon. The EU is so bloated and overstuffed by this point, due to twent years + publishing, that every book is bound to step on another due to their depiction of a world, culture, people, character, ect. Which makes complaining about EU canon consistancy even more redundant.

24. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003

"Obsession" hasn’t really been canon since the "Nightsisters trilogy" in s3. For those who prefer the previous version of the CW nothing stops them from ignoring TCW and having the comics and books as their version of the war. It’s not like they are editing the books and comics to work with the new stuff, and Obsession will probably be easy to find and collect for at least the next 10 years.

25. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011

So no, you're incorrect.
    Here's the appropriate article.
    The EU is part of the canon, albeit a lower level than the films, which are paramount. When the EU contradicts the films the films are correct. The EU is a part of canon.

Esg, Zeta1127 and Apophis_ like this.