main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.1 - Revival - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Have you watched ROTS?

Zeta1127 likes this.
  2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes.

[​IMG]

3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    [face_rofl]

With a freaking blaster no less. So uncivilized. I guess Grievous never got trained with the blast shield over his eyes to sense blaster bolts and deflect them using the Force. Oh wait, that's because he can't use the Force.

[​IMG]

4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I have complained plenty about the Jedi being underpowered though.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  6. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Underpowered? The hell show have you been watching? Only Obi Wan is underpowered, because he's filoni's bitch.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Great game, though I'm not sure what point you're making with the video. Much of it seems to be in keeping with what I'm saying about the Force.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  9. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    That there is a point where you have to consider how non force users cope in a galaxy filled with supermen. Where a Jedi might rely too much on the force for the upper hand, one without would take options the jedi would never consider.

Grievous for example, does not play fair. If it suits him to outnumber an enemy before stabbing them in the back, he'll do it. But he also has saber training from one of the greatest duelists of the prequel era. So he has a mixture of both intuitive combat and the technical skill of a jedi thanks to Dooku's training that he should be a far more credible threat than we think.

10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    AKA his portrayal in the micro series, Labyrinth of Evil and Republic.

I know. I know. Dead horse.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    It isn't just part of the films, it's also part of the EU that part of using the lightsaber is using the Force. In that same video game, what style of lightsaber combat you get is directly connected to what type of Force-user you want to be. How can it be possible that in the same single, supposedly coherent universe you have Jedi that are able to do a certain style of lightsaber combat because of what kind of Force-user they are, and at the same time have a character who's able to master all those uniquely-Force-dependent lightsaber techniques with no Force abilities whatsoever? Please explain (with more than "canon says so").

Spazmatron likes this.
  12. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    While its true that in order to duel you need to use the force to stay a step ahead of you're opponent, you can learn dueling, such as grevious obviously did (but not very well because no force no skill right?) I could learn how to do martial arts and if I praciced enough I could look pretty impressive in a duel. However, just like Grevious, no force, no power, you end up dead :)

Just saying you can duel while not being force sensitive, but ya suck bad

13. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    Just stop, Tarkas.

14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Lightsaber technique is more based upon physical style, with the Force being employed to either amplify an already effective technique, or support a physical shortcoming. For instance, Yoda's small stature means that he'll need to employ jumps to strike any part of his opponent above their waist. The logical style choice is thus Ataru, which is based heavily on acrobatics, specifically powerful leaps. For someone like Yoda, his meager legs won't allow him to jump all that high, and as we know from right here on Earth, the same thing applies to humans, therefore they require the Force to enhance their physical abilities. However, a cyborg like Grievous, with mechanical legs and a system of moving them at least as efficient as hydraulics, would be able to make the same leaps on the mundane merits of his cybernetic body alone, requiring no use of the Force. He's therefore able to match the principles of Ataru.

Obi-Wan is a Soresu master. Soresu is a defensive style, designed to deflect and parry an opponents strikes. Theoretically speaking, it could be as effective without the Force as regular fencing. There has to be strength in the form itself or else it wouldn't be used after thousands of years, correct? Obi-Wan does get the most of it by utilizing the Force to amplify the speed of his arms, and increase his reaction times. However, Grievous—whose mind has been cybernetically augmented—has (un)naturally fast reaction times now, without using the Force. His robotic limbs are also faster than normal organic ones, therefore allowing him to match the quick movements of a being employing the Force to enhance their movements. And Grievous is therefore able to match the principles of Soresu.

Basically, his body is what allows him to compensate for the lack of the Force to call upon for passive use. More active use, such as Force pushes, pulls, and lightning for instance, are still things he cannot match, and it's undeniable that Force-users have an advantage over him there, when they can employ these types of abilities suddenly in the middle of a lightsaber duel that would otherwise leave them evenly matched. But the fact that they need those active Force abilities to push beyond a stalemate is something to be said, in and of itself.

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You also ignore the fact Grevious has enhanced reactions and is far from normal. In fact it's shown in canon many times that non Force users can get the upper hand if they focus on a Jedi's weakness, overwhelming force, harming companions hiding your intent ect. Not to mention Sidious was dampening every Jedi's precog in the Galaxy

Zeta1127 likes this.
  16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I asked for an explanation other than "because canon says so." A quote of canon saying so doesn't qualify. [face_idea]

AkashKedavra_93 and Spazmatron like this.
  17. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Your counterargument is invalid despite being a counterargument with merit, because I said so for not conforming to my prerequisites which by their nature invalidate any sources you might draw upon.

I have to bring this up again.
    [​IMG]
    >
    [​IMG]

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    WOW

the replies to this topic are 666 (now 667 including this one)....i sense something sinister coming.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  19. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Tarkas had post 666. If something...sinister is rising...I'd say it's his lack of faith in Grievous. :p

Dark Lord Tarkas and Zeta1127 like this.
  20. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I fear brothers, that some great evil is coming......something that is related to 666, star wars, and being sinister.

I must brothers find out what it is.....and stop it.....from its sinister actions.

21. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Amazing i didn't know he had a white blade.

22. Arrian

Aug 15, 2011
    In other words:
    Jack - 1
    Tarkus - 0

:p

23. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Mia and ESG: you two accomplished (for me) what Tarkus (seemed) to be requesting - how a non-Force user could be on a par with a Jedi - the question now is, does he run on Leopard, Linux or Windows?

24. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Blackberry. :p

25. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Oww... burn...