main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.11 - A Sunny Day In The Void - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I had the exact opposite reaction when i saw that they were going for the "emptiness" aspect. They have done so many episodes where there's all sorts of **** all over the screen, so i felt this was actually a welcome break.

That's one of the things with the prequels, George always felt the need to scatter all sorts of random CGI all over the screen, which while technically impressive, could be distracting. The example i'm thinking of off-hand is the Mustafar battle where it should be about Obi/Ani's fight, there is that damn lava panning droid zipping back and forth while they are on the pipes dueling. Compare this to the OT which featured a lot more simplicity on-screen such as the vast void of the Dune Sea, or the creepy empty unknown of the space slugs belly (Empire).

cwustudent likes this.
  2. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Onderon was all about the war and Young Jedi arc featured the Obi-Wan Grievous space battle/starship invasion.

If you mean Clones specifically, I do agree that we need an arc this season focused on clones like Umbara, and they need to go back to the in depth story of the Clones plight and Order 66 . I'll be disappointed if we don't get it. But I don't need the series to be Clone vs. Droid battles constantly. I would think that would only get you through two seasons of material before everyone got bored.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah, Onderon was about the war and a good 4 episode it did not make. Arcs don't always have to be clone vs battledroid, cool explosions and all that jazz. TCW is about the time period of The Clone Wars. There is room for exploring the mythos, Jedi in TCW, bounty hunters bounty hunting, exploring politics, exploring the populous in TCW, and even exploring some god damn droids. But not like this. The problem with this arc arc is it breakd the from TCW's tone being the least dark thing to come out. Its also just got outdating humor in it. Its just polarizing. There are better ways droids could have been explored. I mean the battledroids fear being destoryed. Maybe that could be explored.

QuangoFett and SenatorKelberry like this.
  4. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    The more recent preview clip shows a desert that calls to mind the salt flats of Utah. It looks like a neat place to do some racing, possibly of the repuslor-lifted pod variety.

I get the sense that WAC is being uncharacteristically quiet in this clip, even that some of his glib remarks have been cut from the scene. QT mouthing off and him staying silent? It probably would help that most of WAC's lines are superfluous. Perhaps the negative reaction to his antics in the previous episode prompted LFA to do some brief editing.

Seerow

Showing the lot in "life" of battle droids in comparison to the Republic-aligned protagonist droids - and AWOL clone Gregor, for that matter - would be a bit too complex and good for a slapstick diversion arc like this. :p

Seerow likes this.
  5. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm not going to bash these episodes, since I enjoyed the first one and from the looks of it the second one is going to be funny. WAC won me over. One thing you guys keep on forgetting or just want to debate forever on the boards is the GL's Clone Wars series will encompass everything that he thinks happened in the entire clone war. It's a historical epsiodic event if you look at this way. They have covered republic, separatists, bounty hunter, extra force wielders, and now droids, space battles, ground battles, underwater battle, guerilla warefare, and soon air combat with jet packs (mando arc), political episodes, betrayal episodes, and who knows what else they have in store in the future. Thats why I don't get mad anymore. You got after this Saturday 99 episodes of everything in there. I doubt when this series is over, that we aould ever get anything else as remotely intense and vareity story ladened as this series. This is not to say that the other series wouldn't be great (most likely they will) but they would not have to be confind to the Skywalker story, the republic vs separatist stuff, the sith for the first time in over 1,000 years defeating the jedi and stuff like that.

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol, when people tag me into these threads it always makes me think I screwed up the title.

I think the desert terrain we're looking at is more like the upper Gobi Desert than the salt flats of Utah. Endless, flat, and gold with a smoky sky. None the less I bet this planet would be a great place for some soaring. I'm betting there are some killer thermals coming off that earth.

QuangoFett,
    I thought the battledroids were supposed to be the primary source of slaptick in TCW? xP

This whole thing still smells foul with the whole "Droids are people as well!" moral the last one was starting to play with. Bet ya C4 explodes in the heat and they try to give me feels over another fallen droid. I got more feels over when the handle to my microwave broke.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I like how they fixed that green droid

8. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    Seerow

Killer thermals, eh? Sounds like awesome paragliding territory.

Battle droids should be taken more seriously in TCW. They're very effective in TPM and AOTC, killing over one hundred Jedi through attrition in the latter film. The fact that they're so effective is what makes the victory of the clone troopers - after they swoop down to save the day in their gunships - so spectacular. TCW really pissed me off in the S2 Geonosis arc when Ahsoka was shown sliding under the shield of a droideka and destroying it like such a move was habitual for her, when this same model of droid is shown to force Anakin and Obi-Wan into a swift retreat in ROTS. If any moment in TCW made me despise Ahsoka in her earlier appearances, it was that.

M5-BZ's and U9-C4's utter stupidity in Secret Weapons was abysmal, to be honest. I could almost tolerate WAC's idiocy because he was almost endearingly foolish at times (a bit of toning down would have made him quite enjoyable), while BZ and C4 were supposed to be the trustworthy companions to Jedi Knights and their stupidity was truly shocking. R2 and QT were the backtalking straight man and woman to the eccentric Gascon and WAC, but since the supposedly dependable BZ and C4 were such rolling jokes, the core of the episode became that as well.

There were other flaws with Secret Weapons, but in retrospect, the stupidity of BZ and C4 was a far bigger one than even WAC's OTT antics.

Seerow likes this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Battledroids are simply used as Putty Patrollers in TCW, there isn't much more to them, IMO. Its not the appropriate use for them.

I'm thinking more a glider. I've been up in one of those before and its amazing. Well to be fair BZ doesn't have memory branks (Brain? That so Jetsons...) and Gascon just isn't the smartest glowstick at the rave. C4 didn't really do anything but get electrocuted. KT ad R2 might as well be clones. And I mean clones like two identical old Dell Dimension desktops are clones with zero personality.

10. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    In TPM and AOTC, battle droids and droidekas in particular were once destined to be regarded as some of the most feared soldiers in the SW universe. They were destined to become... so much more.

But they were robbed of that destiny by the powers that be - by George Lucas and Dave Filoni.

Then they must have their revenge... [face_skull]

As for R2 and QT, they're certainly a cut above the riffraff. The two cone-heads appear to be less sentient than the average battle droid in TCW.

11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Damn you Dave Filoni and George Lucas! Why you gotta go and stomp on peoples childhoods like that?! You've made this boy cry now by turning the Battle droids into goofballs that get melons stuck on their heads!

You know what's really messed up? I'm shipping R2 and KT.

SenatorKelberry likes this.
  12. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    They bond over the common experience of being surrounded by idiots. :p

To be fair to TCW's portrayal of the battle droids, they're now more obviously sentient. Rather than mere killing machines with no personality or emotions, they now feel pain, fear death, have hopes and desires, and are even conscious of their position in relative hierarchies ("This is the worst job in the droid army!" "Heh, stupid astromechs.")

They just need to be portrayed as more competent. No, introducing a hyper-competent "special model" that has a good introduction and then gets demoted down the competence ladder is not a solution. The actual battle droids need to be shown to at least be capable of remembering which captives they sent in for interrogation.

Seerow likes this.
  13. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I kept mishearing that line as "Stupid ass mechs!" ... R2's little squad of battledroids in the Citadel arc gave me feels when they sacrificed themselves. "Its been an honor to serve you." Recently I've thought they've been doing better making the battledroids seem intimidating again. If nothing else can be said for Onderon the Commando Droids were back to being badass.

QuangoFett likes this.
  14. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    Confederacy of Independent Systems
    - Badass Puppy-Eaters or Sympathetic Idiots -

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.
  15. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Massacre did a great job of making battle droids intimidating. The problem with the humor IMHO is that it isn't really funny except for maybe to little kids. C-3PO's humor, of the sarcastic/biting kind evena t various levels, I enjoy.

16. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    When did that happen? I haven't watched RotS in a while and can't seem to recall that scene.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I haven't seen the beginning of ROTS in like 5 years but I am pretty sure that's when Skywalker and Kenobi are on the ship and retreat into the elevator thing.

18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I thought they got into the "elevator thing" to get up to the Chancellor to, you know, rescue their target. (Too bad a droid didn't follow them up and accidentally shoot Palps when the two Jedi ducked.)

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  19. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Wasn't that Anakin? I was thinking Rex came in from behind and shot Ahsoka's droid.

Seerow likes this.
  20. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    It might have been Ahsoka standing on top of the shield and ramming her lightsabre through. I can't remember who did what exactly, just that the droidekas were humiliated as a potential threat in that scene. That scene didn't particularly compel me to watch the episode again.

But moving onto the topic of discussion...

I'm hopeful that the lack of a group of battle droids for the protagonists to humiliate will make this episode much easier to stomach. The failures of the CIS in the last episode were disappointing, so an episode focused on the droid heroes themselves might be better.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm figuring the Separatist are still going to be chasing these droids. I don't know how much fun it would be to watch these guys roll around with WAC and Gascon trading lines for an entire episode. Reminds me of the Bugs Bunny episode "The Wacky Wabbit".

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The episode title is a joke, right? Right?

Given most of the episodes we've had this season, and now this title, I'm wondering if the writers are even taking TCW seriously anymore.

23. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    So is this where they meet Gregor?

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Think that's the next one after the break. x.x;

I like how the episode title atleast makes this one sound like it'll be epic. I wonder if the hero the fortune cookie is talking about is WAC or R2?

25. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    I meant I think this is the planet he lives on and the clip with him is on this planet. So they're not entirely away from civilization.