main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.2 - A War on Two Fronts - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    No. For you Confederate fans we had B1s, Supers, droidekas, AATs, and MTTs appear.

2. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    And the recon droids.

3. CloneWarsRescored

CloneWarsRescored Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Yet again, another fantastic episode! Can't wait to see how all of this plays out. I loved the dirty looks exchanged between Ahsoka and Steela, the animation was top notch and the editing was fantastic I thought! Another 10/10!

4. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    Steela and Saw equals Steela + Lux and Saw+ Ahsoka.

5. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Being critical doesn't make one any less a fan...

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I thought this was a pretty solid episode. Obviously setup, but good nonetheless. I was happy for a bit; the B1s were acting very competently in the beginning, using the probes and stuff. Even the dummy droids used for training were efficiently used. But once the battle got underway, any threat they posed was immediately erased, and we were treated to the awful slapstick we've come to know and hate. :mad:

I'm not sure where they're going with this love triangle (quadrangle?). Maybe some juxtaposition, considering Anakin's stance on romance.

As for positives, Onderon looked great, especially Iziz. Loved the look of it and how detailed it was. Lots of background characters was a plus. I liked the music during the ambush at the camp site, it worked well with that scene.

9/10

KED12345 likes this.
  7. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I liked this episode much more than Revival personally. The lack of Maul certainly helped. My only complaints are the Ahsoka/Lux/Steela competition and the battle at the end, which seemed rushed.

8. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    I watched the episode again and tried to read the body language.

I dont think Ahsoka has any real interest in Saw, maybe he will be used to make somebody jelous, when he dont stop to flirt with Steela. I mean this Lux guy thinks he is boss or something? What is this wiener trying to proove? He acts like a girl, not like a man.

And i also think he is totaly a playball between Steela and Ahsoka which seem to bemuch more adult than this boy. Steela said "A good politician needs to get dirty from time to time" or something like that. It was clear that she meant that in a sexuall way. EVen Ahsoka understood it and grinned. But Luxi Boy looks wondering like a little kid.

I wonder when the limit is reached in Ahsokas Mind and she will beginn to give lux from his own medicine by using that saw guy, which seems to be interested in her.

haha, this turning into melrose place(Space) .

i totaly watch this!!

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Right, that "dirty" comment. Now that's how you get crap past the radar.

10. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Joking aside, I don't think that was the intent of that line.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Well the episode was almost over when the battle started soo

12. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Well whatever, I'm sure this was but a taste of the action in the next few episodes. Droid gunships ho!

13. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Which was my point, they should have spent less time on the training and more on the battle, or pushed it to the next episode IMO.

14. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Did they get different writers for this episode? The ones for Total Drama Island perhaps?..

Looks like Steela is the closest thing to a rival or foil for Ahsoka. I'd prefer it not be for something as petty as wanting Lux's attention, and even with the tension between them all Ahsoka had to once again play the "encouraging motivator" to a new character, even one with whom she clearly has issues with. Meh.

My favorite part of this episode is the end. That city just looked great. Also, a plus for Jedi robes.

15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    That's why there are 3 more episodes after this.

16. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, so why rush that battle when there's plenty of time for it later?

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    It was a nice start for the new arc. Cannot say much before I see the conclusion of the story though. I've been waiting an arc like this.

+It was great to see the Onderon in TCW, it was nicely animated, Iziz looks great(and Iziz being EU-accurate capital) and all those new humanmodels and jungle- just wow:cool: .
    +Also liked the horselizards and all animals. Tactic of using them against droids was also nice(that sort of thing is kinda realistic actually).
    +Steela/Lux/Ahsoka love triangle was nicely subtle. Cannot really see how some were bothered by it. It's really funny though how TCW has better dialogue, directing and acting than AOTC- what comes to romance scenes.... seriously I rather see subtle hints of jealously than poetic nonsense "I'm in agony blah blah...[face_tired] "
    +Rebels were greatly done to be more unique than soldiers usually in TCW- they even had names. Donald and Hutch. Or was it Dutch like the gold leader in ANH?I guess not but it may have been inspiration... Dutch was a nickname anyway....
    +Number of droids and MTT:S is looking pretty nice already.
    +Mention of Mina Bonteri and Lux being from Onderon.

-Droids could have been more threatening and kill some rebels.
    -Gallia was very much alive... so they better not to think we didn't notice it. Stass needs a new model they just cannot use the same one... this has to happen before Revival as it was originally used to be. I'm alright with prequels though- but they said there won't be any and now there obviously is.
    -No Dxun seen in the background (but if they won't use it better if they leave it alone without messing it up- now we see only a little slice of Onderon so Dxun is safe for time being.)

rumblewagon and Knight3440 like this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This episode takes place before Revival so it makes sense to have Adi there and the animals looked like dinosaurs lol

19. Knight3440

Knight3440 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2012
    I agree with a lot of this, but I think do remember the tanks killing a few soldiers before the rebels blew them up. I think I would give this episode 9/10.

20. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012

21. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    That was good.

The scene at the beginning with the Jedi Council prevaricating over supporting terrorism was a much-needed return to political themes. Some have drawn parallels to the U.S. support of insurgents in Nicaragua and Afghanistan. Actually, you don't even need to go that far back. Terrorism is usually defined as "the systematic use of terror as a means of coercion", with the use of violence against civilian/noncombatant populations often a necessary condition in some definitions. Depending on how the Onderonian resistance develops, it could continue using violence solely against military targets, but Anakin's words about the battle droids being unsuited for counter-insurgency, plus the strategy of blending in with the local population, might indicate that these likeable insurgents will become terrorists according to RL definitions. We'll see. Hopefully, there will be some link back to Yoda's doubts about the use of terror in later episodes. It would be a shame for TCW to be CN's apologist for the use of terrorism against countries whose interests don't align with your own.

I found it interesting that Mace Windu was supportive of the training of insurgents. His actions in ROTS with Palpatine show that he is more willing to step over ethical boundaries for the sake of victory than other Jedi are. Anakin is probably thinking back to Tarkin's words during the Citadel mission, and we all know how his military ethics are in the future.

The Onderonians' Northeastern U.S. accents were faintly amusing.

However, like most accents in SW (notable exceptions include Ziro the Hutt), they don't detract from the script, which was generally well-written.

Oh, Love Quadrilaterals galore. Ahsoka still harbours feelings for Lux. Lux has captured the affections of Steela. Steela is jealous of Ahsoka and indignant that she had any role in Lux's past. Lux is probably loving the fact that he's got a nice little harem going on. Meanwhile, Saw looks like he's trying to hit on Ahsoka. Surprisingly tolerable, especially considering how some SW romances are handled.

There might have been some historical allusions in the episode beyond the terrorism/insurgency debate. The callsign of the Nu-class shuttle that takes the Jedi and Rex to Onderon ("Valkyrie 2929") might be an allusion to Operation Valkyrie, the scheme to kill Adolf Hitler; tyrannicide against the new king seems all but inevitable. Saw Gerrero's name reminds me of Mexican revolutionary general Vicente Guerrero. Inadvertent, maybe.

Rex's attire was a nice mix of various Republic/Imperial designs plus his trademark Jaig Eyes. It reminded me in parts of the officer uniform and the jumpsuit worn by AT-ST drivers and Imperial Navy troopers, not to mention the obvious clone bodysuit beneath. The Republic's conventional forces might have a role to play in future episodes. However, there were some ridiculous costume choices, namely the fact that Lux and Steela are still wearing their webbing and body armour while trying to con the B1s at the gates of Iziz into thinking they're civilians. Even the Doomed Turret Gunner (or do all Onderonian women look the same? ) hitching a ride to the back of Anakin's cart managed to look like a civilian.

Probably a 9. It was excellent, but it didn't blow me away. I reserve that honour for episodes like "Carnage of Krell".

rumblewagon and TreborSabreon like this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Wait a second, QuangoFett, are you saying the Onderonians sounded like Bostonians to you? New Yorkers? Having lived in both areas, I found no such connection whatsoever.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  23. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011
    It's the way they pronounce certain consonants and syllables, Todd the Jedi. They sound very much like the stereotypical Northeastern U.S. city native, but probably not like real Northeasterners. :p

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounded more African to me, possibly similar to South Africa. Like they could break out in Afrikaans any moment.

25. QuangoFett

Jun 11, 2011