main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.5 - Tipping Points - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    He dropped his gun and he was speechless that's what lux did.

2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think where things get really murky is with the relationship of the Jedi to the rest of the Galaxy. I'm just adding to what I said before. I get King Dendup's decision to come over the Republic even as he see them as a different party from the Jedi for some reason. I mean being third party bit Onderon in the ass. The C.I.S. has E.Coli in their mint chocolate chip, maybe the Republic's will taste better. The Jedi seem worried about commiting to Onderon beyond a secret mission for fear of dragging the republic into freeing Onderon (when they have done this sort of thing before but Ok). I guess this is because of the association between the Jedi and the republic. After Ahsoka outs herself the Jedi still don't want to just commit to the rebellion. Clones, gunships, and mulitple Jedi being visible would make this more obvious. It would probably bring an even bigger war to Onderon. More people wil die. That's why I think Ahsoka ended up getting help from Hondo.

3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Steela's death scene was probably the best in the series thus far.

SeparatistFan likes this.
  4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    So Steela died and Saw learned a tragic lesson? Guess we called that. ;)

5. Cary_the_Brave

Cary_the_Brave Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 5, 2012
    I literally was jumping off my couch clapping when i saw that scene. All I can say is thank G-d this monstrosity of Onderon is over.

InherentConflict likes this.
  6. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Very good episode and much better then the last episode.

-Nice to see Hondo again
    -This episode really brings up the issue of the Jedi's role in the galaxy. Was the council right not to commit troops to the Onderon?
    -Steela's death was kind of predictable, but it was well done....best death scene in the series.

9/10

QuangoFett and Seerow like this.
  7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Sounds like I didn't miss much. Oh well. On to the next arc!..

Oh wait. Padme. Banking. Corruption. Crap.

Esg likes this.
  8. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    a 10/10 best episode in the arc and Steelas death was so sad :_|

Huyang likes this.
  9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Nope. Young Jedi.

10. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Great ending to the arc I must say

+Animation
    +Droid gunships were brilliant
    +Steela's death was very well done, but Kalifa's still trumps it for me
    +Small thing, but the doors on the palace were beautiful
    +Hondo, always a plus
    +Kalani blatantly shooting Rash
    +Lux/Ahsoka's relationship
    +Ahsoka's reaction at the kiss was very Jedi-like and completely non-Anakin
    +Great writing during the moment Ahsoka was shot, it looked like Lux was going to bite it for a second

-The battle was a little short
    -Dendup is an idiot for running out onto the edge of the precipice like that, you would think as previous King he would know his terrain a bit better

Nevertheless, a 10/10, brilliant episode.

My thoughts on the arc:
    Not an arc that will stand out in memoriam such as Umbara or Rako Hardeen, but nevertheless a solid one.
    The characters were well-done, I enjoyed them enough.
    Ahsoka shone in many subtle moments, such as playfully punching Lux's shoulder.
    Hondo just elevates everything he's in.
    King Rash was a bumbling moron with an even more idiotic name.
    King Dendup was about the same.
    I still feel "Front Runners" could have been eliminated altogether and the battle could have gone on for another episode.

rumblewagon likes this.
  11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    We don't really know anything about the arc in which people are protesting the Jedi and Clones, but it just seems like Onderon would have made more sense after an arc that included something like that. That it would make more sense if the Jedi turned to this plan of training insurgencies so as to avoid looking like conquerors and if they resisted sending in Republic re-inforcements because then that would defeat the point and make the Republic look evil for swooping in and occupying Onderon with the Clone Army.

As for the Jedi Order's relationship to the Republic. I think in the EU its an institution that formed outside of the Republic but that later joined and pledged itself in service to the senate. But I think beyond that it is largely autonomous. I figured it would be like the Vatican's relationship to Italy (to an extent). The Jedi aren't politicians and are more of a religion (at least in theory). I could see Dendup respecting them if they stayed true to their role. Such that he might be opposed to the Republic and feel the senate is corrupt, but have respect for a monastic order that acts as mediators and diplomats and can be trusted to act without bias or corruption in solving disputes. But my problem with that is that the Jedi Order has been corrupted by the war, sided with the Republic in a military capacity and is going to war against the CIS.

I don't remember which character says it in TOR, but I recall it being explained that the Jedi are not allowed to engage in romantic relationships because a Jedi is supposed to have a "balanced" view and treat all individuals without bias, but that falling in love with someone raises that person above the rest and affects their ability to remain unbiased and judge fairly. This isn't as laid out quite as explicitly in the films, but I think it's implied. And the very fact that the Republic has split in two and the Jedi picked a side and have taken on a role as generals instead of seeking a mutually beneficial peaceful resolution seems like a huge corruption of their purpose. So I can understand the protests of the Jedi not being like that used to be better than I can Dendup being pleased about the generals of the Republic coming to Onderon.

12. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    Steela= Rue.

13. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I was glad to finally see some Seperatist gunships, but they seemed a little toned-down to me. The shields were useless against a pretty low-tech shoulder-fired rocket launcher, and their rockets just seemed like a bunch of very underpowered roman candles or something. But I guess if they came in a dropped a bunch of thousand pound guided bombs on top of 10 or 20 rebels, it would have been over pretty quickly lol. Overall, not bad. I wasn't expected her to die. Honestly I'm just glad this arc is done, and we can get back to Savage and gang.

14. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    You noticed Ahsokas look at the end, when Saw understood that she a bit was fine with Steelas death? "I am sorry for YOUR loss..."

"Thanks, its over let we end it..." or something. Than Ahsoka rolled with her eyes. I think she was sad of course, but also a lttle voice in her said "Yay, that bitch is gone! Luxy is mine again!" [face_devil]

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    wut

16. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Yoda, Ahsoka, younglings, Hondo, Grievous, Obi-Wan, Ilum

hlc88 likes this.
  17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The canon version of Padawan Menace pretty much.

18. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If you know about Young Jedi, its a four-part arc that was shown at Celebration in August. It was unknown whether it would be a part of Season 5 or not due to conflicting information spoken about it at the time. It has now been confirmed to be a part of Season 5 and will air the next four weeks. The episode order has been changed again so the Clovis arc is not up next. What will air after Young Jedi is unknown at this point.

19. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Okay, who's with me in thinking this episode was extremely predictable? I just knew the way this episode was going to end.

That being said, without revealing too much for those who haven't seen the episode, I did like how the "shocking" event was handled. And I loved the nod toward A New Hope when Steela kisses Lux - "Just in case." (I know, it's For Luck in A New Hope, but I think they should get close enough points).

Btw, who else noticed the interesting relevence of the names of the leaders of the resistance - Steela: nerves of steel...a leader forged from steel...you get what I'm saying
    And her brother Saw: the tool, capable of cutting through the forces of evil
    Yeah, I know, corny, but I didn't make up the names. [face_laugh]

20. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    that was so odd as this adult woman kissed a 16 year old boy...[face_sick]

[​IMG]

Chris Hansen does not aproove!

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    and Lightsabers :p

DM99 likes this.
  22. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    A solid episode! I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous, but that's because all the character development had happened in that one.

-I really liked the idea of Anakin having to set up the deal with Hondo, and the fact he made no secret of his disgust towards him

-Didn't like Ahsoka's body language/ facial movements during certain parts of the episodes- they somehow made her come off derogatory.

-The Droid Gunships rocked! I wish ARC-170 Starfighters, Tri-Droids and the new Republic Recon Fighter had all been giving introductions as memorable.

-The Separatists / Confederacy deeming the fight for the planet no longer worth their time, executing the King and then leaving was so cold. Really liked that.

-I couldn't help but hear Paul Anka's "Puppy Love" tune whenever Lux appeared during the episode.

-Really didn't care for Lux's ANH reference, simply because of his befuddled Hugh Grant voice.

-Steela's death scene was very well staged. Loved how that detail shot of the Droid Gunship's turret had low depth of field.

-I was kinda hoping we'd get some sort of clearer hint whether these Rebels might someday become the Rebellion we know from the OT. Saw's red shoulder pad emblem vaguely reminded me of the Rebel symbol. Oh well.

rumblewagon likes this.
  23. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Wait, i thought Starkillers Familycrest was the rebell symbol.....:confused:

There will be a time when Fans thanks TCW Crew to overwrite existing canon.

24. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    [​IMG]
    "Do you see these hands on these hips? That means "yes" I do know it all."

Now that was an incredible ending to a slightly up-and-down arc! This is easily one of my favorite episodes and a top Ahsoka episode.
    + Stunned at Steela's death and the how of it. Great writing! I did not see that coming.
    + Big ramifications for Ahsoka and her feeling that she's not powerful enough (but should be) to save the people she cares about.
    + Droid gunships are awesome.
    + Hondo steals his scenes effortlessly.
    + Graphics and action/combat scenes were top-notch.
    - Ahsoka acting sorta Cali-girl/Barbie doll with her hands on her hips (and such) seemed a bit odd. But maybe that's just her female hormones going wild and getting territorial over her man against the competition!
    I'd rate this episode an 11/10 if the polls allowed it. I was blown away!

AkashKedavra_93 and DM99 like this.
  25. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    It was clear for me that Steela would bite the dust when Bonteri said that she may could kill herself/get killed because of her behaviour..