main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.5 - Tipping Points - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    But the way she died, i don't think anyone knew that was coming

2. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    When i saw that old guy running on the Cliff.... :D

3. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I forgot to mention this, but the music here was very well done.

4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    It didn't show on my TV. That sucks, but it sounds better than Padme's senate snooze fest. I hope it's light on Ahsoka though, and preferably light on Obi-Wan.

DM99 likes this.
  5. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    There was a very slight hint of "Duel of the Fates" I heard as Saw shot the last droid gunship. Did anyone else catch it?

Apparently Agamar has quite a history behind it:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Agamar

6. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    I think they killed Steela so they could have Luxsoka if there was no Hero on Both Side and A Friend in Need Lux would be another "Terrist" :rolleyes: and the killed one would probaly be Saw or the king.

Another Unreleated note (very) Obi-Wan gets knocked out alot because I have been watching reruns.

DM99 likes this.
  7. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    What a fantastic episode.

A perfect closing to a promising arc, the first few slow-ish lead-in episodes were great, in hindsight.

I struggled to predict exactly how things would happen (as it was often clear they would), it really kept me on the edge.

So many heartstopping moments in the last few minutes as everything seems to suddenly be going wrong for the rebels. I actually found myself feeling upset over Steela and sad for Ashoka and Lux. Saw's reaction to Ashoka at the end was interesting.

10/10

8. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Steela is not dead. She is tired and needs to sleep it off.

Please tell that to your small children which have watched this episode. And give them ICE Cream and Cookies! And a new bycle.

rumblewagon, DavidIX and Paparazzo like this.
  9. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I concur with a lot of this. The Soft War was an improvement on Front Runners. Tipping Points was an improvement on The Soft War. Improvement all round.

I'm still pissed that some potential political conflicts were thrown by the wayside, but that happened back in Front Runners with the lack of conflict over attacking civilian infrastructure. In this episode, Saw actually suggests something that would explicitly endanger civilians and he's shot down. However, it's clear that Ahsoka cannot too drastically compromise her moral centre at this stage of her character arc, so fighting on the side of some truly ruthless political terrorists would have raised some serious questions about how close to the Dark Side she already is. The sound of Separatists lambasting the "terrorists" was music to my ears. That very evocative self-righteousness almost made up for the lack of grassroots support for the CIS. Overall, the political side of the story was disappointing but not cripplingly so.

So Lux is now a Loyalist. While I can tell people were hoping for a long term "Romeo and Juliet" dynamic between him and Ahsoka, and perhaps a confrontation between Lux and a prominent clone character, this phase in his development might have played out already after A Friend In Need. Also, being a Loyalist doesn't mean he's a gung ho militarist. There's still plenty of room for conflict with clones, and being a former Separatist and an OC, he's a perfect character for a plot about different perspectives in the Republic Senate. His reasons for distrusting the Republic (corruption, the fact that clones killed his father) still exist.

The droid gunships were implied to be a new development, showing some much-needed dynamism in the arms race. Hopefully their impact is felt beyond Onderon and the HMPs actually become a thorn in the side of the Republic's LAATs. Similarly, the Sienar rocket launchers were a nice touch, showing that some thought went into which defence contractors are supplying the Republic, in this case the future contractor for the Imperial TIE projects. It's good that minor details that used to only be in sourcebooks and C-canon content is now actually being integrated into official G/T-canon stories. Some more arms racing is needed, particularly since it can be portrayed in an intersection of politics, action violence and espionage.

With Ahsoka being cool about Steela planting a kiss on Lux's lips, the love triangle drama is mercifully dead and buried. I actually liked Steela in this episode, her cock-blocking of Saw's scheme to inject some moral ambiguity into the arc aside. Saw was the star of this arc, IMO. He ends up dealing with the guilt of indirectly killing Steela with the help of a friendly HMP, and he's delightfully grim about it at the end. No cute life lesson for Saw.

9/10

10. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    The true heartstopping moment for me is when Ahsoka got shot, for a split second I thought they were going to kill both Ahsoka and Steela off. I almost crapped a brick. Ahsoka has to go sometime, but that would have been an incredible plot twist.

When she got up though I remembered "Oh yea, she's in the Temple attack arc though.."

Paparazzo likes this.
  11. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    Girls brains work different than boys brains. Boys would realy be cool with it if they act like that (But most boys would refuse to act like that and run away to pout. lol)

But Girls are different, they act like they are fine with it, but deep inside they burn like the fire of revenge, to kick that sluts butt which dare to take her man away. Ahsoka was like "Yes bitch, enjoy it. Enjoy his lips. But at your first mistake i will be there. guess who will solace him after your first quarrel! Bitch!"

Paparazzo and DavidIX like this.
  12. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Well the villain kinda just...died.

The other villain kinda just...left.

The rebel chick died...arguably a bit avoidable considering the scenario.

And the people just..accept the rebels with little qualm. "Yeah, screw those droids for trying to protect the power supply for the whole city!"

Bring on the...Clovis/Senate Corruption/Little kids I guess.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Definitely. It was downright epic at times.

14. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    a good dying scene would have been, if Ahsoka had managed to pull up Steela and both say some last words (How gorgeous or good they are [face_sick] ) than steela noticing the droid behind ahsoka. pushing her aside to save her. The shot of the droid than hits steela and she faling down the cliff, before lux can grab her hand. Ahsoka saving lux from the droid instead of saving steela

DavidIX likes this.
  15. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I don''t think Onderon will have much impact on the Jedi and Clone protest anyways. My fear is they'll tie that into "Pursuit of Peace". I agree Onderon could have been a great opportunity to show the republic doing some evil. Clone occupation and all.

16. DavidIX

DavidIX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    6/10

Solid episode. It had some good music, graphics and it developed ok. I think the fight was a little rushed and the gun ships were a little overrated based on the hype surrounding them. I thought the main fight would be a little more large scale, as it was intended to be, I suppose.. but it felt like a small skirmish instead.

Steelas death was pretty dramatic. It was a different way to bite the dust. I liked it to be honest. It was like the Lion King, very dramatic. With that said, I knew she would die. Asohka and Lux dynamic had to be continued since they don't yet have a fitting ending for the young Ashoka Tano.

Rash was a disappointment. Why was he part of the episode?. LIke I said since the beginning, He could of been a great addition to the arc, but instead he was no more than a lame duck with no direction of his own.

The King was a total idiot. Running off towards the ledge like that. I hope Saw runs Onderon better than this old fart because dear lord...The guy is lost.

Overall, It was an entertaining episode. Not great but not bad either.. certainly not an 8 or above; I can think of countless episodes that trump this. Seems like a knee jerk reaction in my opinion. Solid 6, and if I may say- "GLAD THIS IS OVER."

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I actually thought one of those flying creature would swoop in and Steela would grab on - a feint to the audience as something occurred to another character. Music was great.

I actually felt sorry for Lux in this: he lost his dad, then his mom, now Steela. Blow after blow after blow. I've come to like his character.

"Picking" the Republic seems - premature? The Republic didn't help; the Jedi only "sort of" helped and of course we still don't have a lot of the back history. Then having Obi-Wan and Anakin at the funeral rather blatantly advertises the Jedi involvement, doesn't it? Especially since the planet is not yet allied with the Republic.

And Anakin really doesn't like Hondo, does he?

The kiss was awkward - it looked like a nose kiss.

Overall: really good episode but the 1st 3 episodes could have had better pacing to set up this episode.

18. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Just not seeing the 10/10 so many people are giving it. Maybe I'm just tired.

Steela's death was predicted earlier in the week by a half dozen people. I guess it was a decent death as these things go, but I had no attachment to any of these characters and couldn't care less what happened to them.

This was the most exciting episode in the arc but god it's been a long month on Onderon. Lets move on.

Ahsoka should have a robot arm, that was some pretty blatant bulletproofing.

Glad to see the badass commando droids return but it would be nice to have some consistency even within the same arc for crying out loud.

Still don't really understand the reluctance of the Jedi to get involved. I would have preferred a smack down from Palpatine saying the public already is confused about the role of the Jedi in the war and how they relate to Dooku or something, then if they don't launch Republic ships they would at least have plausible denialibility that this was a rogue action by a young Jedi.

But it's a galactic war, so who cares if they get involved? If it's a materiel problem, then just use that as the explanation. Anakin & Obi-Wan's dialogue would still work the same and getting Hondo to supply would make as much, if not more sense.

Arc could have been 3 episodes without any loss in quality.

8/10 for the episode, probably 6.5/10 for the arc.

Also felt the animation was on the same level as the rest of the arc.

19. Master_Fwiffo

Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2001
    Despite a lousy beginning to this arc, it had a pretty darn good finish. Well played Clone Wars.

20. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    I dont understand Lux´s Line "The heroism and selflessness of the Jedi.." HUH? Obi Wan and Ani just showed up AFTER the battle...LOL Where was the Heroism of the Jedi??? Ahsoka just did very little and only HONDO risked his life to bring them the lounchers into a war zone.

Lux Bonteri seems to be a total IDIOT which is led by his hormones, you know.

I think Ahsoka can manipulate and trick him, like she wishes.

Paparazzo likes this.
  21. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    I felt exactly the same way, it was a really great moment.

22. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Pretty sure Ahsoka was muttering "long live the king" under her breath as she lost her grip.

She's a psychotic bitch that one.

23. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I thought this was a great episode and a solid wrap-up of the Onderon arc. The animation was great, the battle was really good as expected (loved the droid gunships and the commando droids were quite threatening here; like executing an injured rebel by shooting her in the face as one of them did) and Steela's death scene was very well written and pulled off (It was a surprise to see Ahsoka getting shot, but shouldn't she have gotten a bigger wound?; I must also note that Lux is pretty tough not to shed a tear over Steela's death). I also really liked that we got to see Hondo again and it was a nice move by having him deliver the rocket launchers (he's always such a scene stealer), but I can't help but think the scene with him meeting Anakin could have been skipped to give more room to the Onderon stuff (couldn't the Jedi just have contacted Hondo via comlink or a holo transmission instead of seeing him person?). One more thing I liked was with Ahsoka accepting the romance between Lux and Steela and seeming pretty cool with it; good thing they didn't go the more clichéd way by continuing the love drama.

And as for the villains, Kalani didn't really get to do anything in this arc other than abruptly executing the now unnecessary Rash before leaving (I expected Kalani to get destroyed in this final episode of the arc so it was a surprise to see him live on, I wonder if he'll reappear later on); in fact that whole scene with Dooku ordering him to pull back all troops from Onderon and then have him kill off Rash felt like sort of a cop-out and pretty abrupt; I sort of would have liked a final confrontation with them and Lux & Co to make it more 'complete' or so to say. Overall, it was definitely an worthy ending to this arc and also probably it's best episode. 9/10

24. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So I am not the only one who thought the music sounded familiar.

And yes, it was awesome how Dooku mentioned another CIS world.

25. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Seeing Agamar would be almost as nice as seeing Alsakan or Kuat.