main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars: Episodes 117 & 118: Blue Shadow Virus/The 1000 Moons Discussion Threads

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garth Maul, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    I have to agree. I'm usually an avid supporter of Jar Jar, at least against his haters. But one episode, was a given. The second, I was like, "Ok." The third... [face_frustrated] It's just a little overload. They've just played up his bumbling a bit much too. Here or there is fine, but it's like they try to jam all the TPM's goofy Jar Jar moments into each 22 minute episode. I wouldn't mind it so much, if it was like one incident here or there, but everytime he's on the screen he's just failing at life. I can take him in small doses, well at least his antics. I am just having a hard time seeing why they let him be involved in such high profile stuff, if he can't control himself at least once in a while.

2. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Yeah. I never had any problems with his clumsiness when it fitted the scene. In TPM I only disliked him in the final battle, because his antics robbed some scenes of the impact they could have had. But in TCW it seems the guys can't even just stand there for 5 seconds without doing something stupid. Just watch the scene in Mystery of 1000 Moons, when the virus has just been released and Ahsoka contacts Padmé. As Padmé is simply talking on the comlink, wearing her protective suit, Jar Jar is flailing about in the background to and fro, without even wearing his helmet. Why? I mean, why? Why does he have to be screaming and almost falling over himself when they are just basically standing there?

3. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    At least he had a reason for going this time. Palpy sending him to muck things up, like in Gungan General, is already old.

As for the character animation, I think they are gradually phasing to a more realistic, less tylized look. Anakin seemed a little less stylized to me and Mace in the Ryloth trilogy looks more detailed than previously seen. I hope they continue that look, it's quite impressive and stunning.

Oh, and if I didn't have enough reasons these episodes rocked, especially 1000 moons... the part where Anakin says "poodoo" as he is about to "crashland" with Obi-wan on top of the dangerous plantvines.

4. boletus

boletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2008
    Just to clarify, I certainly enjoyed the episodes (especially 1000 Moons) despite the Jar Jar stuff, I just have had my fill. I loved the toned down Jar Jar after TPM, and how he was used to call for the granting of emergency powers. I thought that was a perfect use for him. But during TCW, he's regressed--and I just have had my fill, at least for a season. I hope that if he does appear as often in the second season they opt to play down his antics, even if just a little bit. The gripes I've had with the season are few and far between and I've tried to just enjoy the ride and the chance to see new Star Wars in this medium. But my Jar Jar cup runnith over and it's spilling on to my hardwood floors.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You answered your own question- the reason he's flailing about (and the general joke/point of the scene) is that he can't find his protective helmet and is panicing he'll be exposed to the virus. Thus why he calms down after Padme finds it and puts it back on for him.

6. Hyoma

Hyoma Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    "Blue Shadow Virus" was probably my least favorite episode, so far. Remember the scene where the Doc goes "Zeee Bombzzz"? I laughed for all the wrong reasons.

"Mystery of a Thousand Moons" was much better, but that doesn't speak much of it's quality, since BSV was... well, "not that great" (in My subjective and humble opinion): it was entertaining, with a few nice moments, like the escape from Iego, but generally, it was a pretty "random" adventure, in the lack of a better word.

That said, TCW is still an AMAZING show, and I really, really can't wait for the Ryloth Trilogy and some a** kicking Winduness. ;P

7. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Amen. =D=

Somehow, I also got a 'Lost Boys, Peter Pan Tree Fort' vibe from Iego, which I liked.

8. RoderulijKumar

RoderulijKumar Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2008
    I must have been the only one that let out a sigh when I saw that boy. I think someone else mentioned he looked like that one kid from the ant movie or something. I just...didn't like him. It was like little-Ani all over again. :)

Though, it was a beautiful planet. I wish it could have been a longer episode.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He reminded me of a Final Fantasy bobblehead character.

10. Darth_Rafaaz

Darth_Rafaaz Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2009
    I liked both episodes and I actually thought Jar-Jar wasn't too annoying. Although just as Ahsoka perfect the art of almost getting her master killed, he gets senator killed, or almost [face_laugh].
    Vindi was interesting, but maybe a little too crazy. If he hadn't always said "Ja ja ja ja ja" or "dooooomed", then he would've been really menacing.

Anyway... Did anyone else notice that Padme asked Anakin that "noone open this bunker", with Jar Jar still inside and not infected? (It would've made some people here really happy [face_laugh]).

Killer bunny droid xD, also great.
    I also loved the scene where Padme talks about the clones sacrifice. It's also ironic, because it brings them farther away from peace...

I just didn't understand, how did the bomb explode, if the clones had deactivated it first? They had cut the wire, so the bomb the droid used shouldn't be working anymore?

11. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000

Actually it did have a purpose. It was to get Padme to see the bug Jar Jar was after which came off the tactical droid was after and figure out where the secret lab was.

12. KennethMorgan

KennethMorgan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    You must be younger than I am. I always think of Michael York as Logan. "There is no Sanctuary!"

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I knew someone was going to bring this up. If they had to have Jar-Jar at all, why not have him spot the bug and say it came from the Eastern Swamps? That would be consistent with his character in TPM as well.

14. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Clone Wars series is hands down the best Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back The Blue Shadow Virus story was absolutely terrific, and in general I wouldn't change a thing about the series.

But just for fun, I wonder how Darth Sidious reconciles his biological warfare efforts with his manipulation of both sides of the conflict toward the goal of becoming the galaxy's absolute ruler.

How does the virus serve that end? It gets out, it depopulates the galaxy, friend and foe alike, and then our evil Sith lord rules over what, exactly? Palpatine's near omniscience makes him almost as inconsistent and self-contradictory as God himself. The Clone Wars looks like nothing so much as a series of exercises to help Anakin hone his skills for his later work as Darth Vader. I mean, this is probably the most elaborate training program ever conceived for a sith apprentice.

15. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    Doesn't Jaybo Hood sound a bit like a humorous reference - kind of internal joke - to Jabba Hutt (especially when he is announced as "a honourable Jaybo Hood" by droids)? Sorry if it is too obious and had been already discussed :)

And - beside - he looks quite similar to the guy from the concept art representing young Han Solo in ROTS Art album.

16. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    I think they employed this scientist to come up with a strain of the original Blue Shadow Virus, which was deployed through the water. That way, they could release it on Republic controlled worlds, thus destablizing them, driving them to the Seps for help (who, of course, happen to have the cure) and further spreading the Jedi thin to help deal with the virus. Of course, being a mad scientist the good doctor decides to alter the virus into an airborn strain so he can just wipe out every living thing and save time.

17. MELVIN_SMILEY

MELVIN_SMILEY Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2006
    If this was the plan, why leave Iego? Why not fortify it with a little more than a powered up alarm system. I don't think that this laser net would stand any chance against one Venator and several wings of clone fighters.
    If the virus is released the ingredients for a cure would be one of the valuablest things in the GFFA. So the republic would use a bunch of ressources to get their hands on some roots.
    And if the doctor went independent, why install the laser net? There's no more usefullnes to Iego, if the Blue Shadow Virus is gone? Why waste precious ressources (we remember that Dooku dispraised Grievous for destroying expensive droids)?

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think they employed this scientist to come up with a strain of the original Blue Shadow Virus, which was deployed through the water. That way, they could release it on Republic controlled worlds, thus destablizing them, driving them to the Seps for help (who, of course, happen to have the cure) and further spreading the Jedi thin to help deal with the virus.

That would be a great plan if Palpatine actually wanted the Republic to lose the war.

19. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Exactly. The whole plot makes very little sense. From the virus to Iego's laser trap, it all seemes designed simply as cool concepts, but with no cohesivness to the overall plot.

20. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Why build a Death Star and leave it vulnerable to one single missle?

From the look of it a Star Destroyer wouldn't be able to navigate through Iego's system with all the debris and moons and such. And the laser system was pretty effective. You don't expect Anakin Skywalker to show up and figure out how to get around it. Besides, maybe that was the best tech. the Seppy's had and perhaps they wanted to be able to come and go from there.

And I don't see how contaminating a few planets to scare the Republic would mean the Republic would lose the war. If anything it would screw things up more and allow Palpatine to take more extreme measures and gain more control (faster) to become Emperor and end the war. Heck, if he stopped a virus people might not even care he just wiped out the Jedi and maybe he could blame it on them anyway.

21. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    Because he went independent after they installed the laser net.

Man, must everything be spelled out?

22. MELVIN_SMILEY

MELVIN_SMILEY Jedi Youngling star 1

May 13, 2006
    I don't know, maybe because it was an error in the blueprints. I don't think that the empire cosntructed this weakness on purpose

No I expect that a huge fleet will show up and blaster their way to the last chance of their worlds, if the blue shadow virus is released. So if there is a defense system which will have zero effect against more than little smugglerships and/or One-Man-Figthers why install it in the first place?
    I mean it took the twillight like 6 shots to kill the laser emiter and still without uber-flying skills like Anakin wouldn't a mission with enough decoys/ships suceed in the end. Iego didn't look like the place where you could find military grade equipment or a big fleet of experienced and superb trained clone troopers.
    Better tech(defense measures) than just stay on Iego with a big war fleet? If the root is really as expensive, the republic would simply destroy everything in their path to get their hands on the last resort for their dying populations (like Anakin here just 100 times bigger).

The plan of the crazy doctor was to contaminate all major planets in the galaxy/republic (I'm not sure if it was stated clearly that just republican planets would be targeted). A major plague killing billions of citizens, affecting the clone troopers, destroying the societies and industries on only a hand full of core systems, would stretch the ressources of the republic incredebly. You know that the majority of all casualties in war (till lately) were from diseases and not combat violence. So such an aggressive agent could easily destabilize the republic. Such a cure is also a good leverage to turn around loyal starsystems: "Come to the right side of the war and you will be healed!"
    And I don't believe that Dooku could sell a plan which so clearly benefit Palpatine, the leader of the enemy, to the rest of the separatists. The problem with biological warfare is its incalculability, even for a dark side nexus like Palpatine, so it could easily backfire. I'm also not sure why he should risk everythink with the current plan working great for him and being more secure and predictable. The Sith waited 1000 generations, they can wait 1 or 2 or 10 years more.

No it mustn't, but I like my SW with a little bit logic and comprehensible actions. And that's what lacking here IMHO.
    Also this explanation wouldn't explain why the separatist would install a laser net, which only prevents ships from leaving Iego and not entering it. Shouldn't the separatists assume that the republican soldiers would land on the moon first, then getting the root and then leave? Why let the burglar in your house full of valuable medicine and then try to prevent him from leaving, when you could also prevent him from getting in with big dangerous dogs and a bunch of guards?
    The Separatist ships could still pass the laser grid. I assume they have the activation/deactivation code or are immune due to responder signal or something similar.

23. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008

24. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Fortifying Iego would alert the Republic to it's importance. They wanted to make it seem just as system of little value. They set up a trap for no one could leave not to keep people out.

As for the mad doctor here's my theory. The CIS got him because he was a brilliant scientist who could recreate the Blue Virus just to use against the Republic not commit genocide. He was just supposed to deliver the vials to the Separatists so they can use it like mustard gas against Clones or something. The doctor however is completely insane and not following the agenda. He's ready to kill everybody regardless of what Dooku or the head Seps want.

25. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    See, there are many plausible explanations for the 'holes' in the plot.

The thing is, in a 22 minute show, there's not a lot of time for such exposition and explanations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.