main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Clone Wars... had so much potential, good, but confusing? Plot holes??

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by DarthTalonx, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    FIRST AND FOREMOST, PLEASE NO MENTION OF ANYTHING RELATED TO EPISODE 7. Not from teasers, trailers, posters, etc. Let's have that magical feeling of surprise for the new film. So NO SPOILERS WHATSOEVER FOR EPISODE 7!!!!

The Clone Wars Tv series had a lot of potential, and it does contain many many good episodes, some downright superb such as bad guys pretending to be the victims, etc. There are some great themes in each of the seasons.

But, there are some confusing situations, and plotholes, what are your thoughts on some of the ones below? Any others to the ones listed? The list is a little long, but interesting!! Discuss?

1. I get that Anakin is meant to be the Chosen One, but aren't we meant to see him becoming a great Jedi Knight throughout the Clone Wars, first mentioned in ANH? Are we not meant to see him primarily partner with Obi Wan under his instruction and then achieve his Knighthood? In the entire show, he is already a Knight and we don't really see him as the dynamic duo with Obi Wan and that friendship?
    2. Couldn't we see Anakin and Obi Wan battling other villains instead of constantly meeting Dooku or Grievous? It feels stronger if these 2 Jedi only meet Grievous first and Dooku again in ROTS? Couldn't we see other Jedi meet these primary villains and maybe come close to defeating them, but failing?
    3. In terms of Anakin's seniority, sometimes, other famous Jedi seem to be second to him, even though they are more senior? I get that some Jedi speak their mind, but he seems to speak out of turn when it comes to other Jedi Masters occasionally? In addition, how would he be in charge of an operation if there is a more senior Jedi Knight present?
    4. In the episode where Cad Bane takes the Senate, is it really that poorly guarded? He only takes one section, so is no one else about given it is a massive area? Does anyone not notice that it has been sealed and powered down, not least the Jedi Council? (Yoda seemed to sense trouble at the Temple) How is Anakin not able to handle the bounty hunters (he is one of the most powerful Jedi in the entire order) even without his lightsaber? Can he not just force push them all into a wall and knock them out? Do the Jedi not sense or notice what is happening and even when the Hutt is freed and clone troopers are sent, how are there no Jedi sent??
    5. I liked the humor of the droids. But why did we not see more CIS victories? It hardly seemed like a balanced drawn out conflict at times. In addition, rather than the CIS being purely evil in Sith plots, could we see some actual fighting that involved planets fighting against the Republic on principles? In the ROTS opening, it mentions there are heroes and evil on both sides. So could we not see non evil CIS battles and victories?
    6. On Geonosis, once the shield was taken down, could not an orbital strike have destroyed the factories?
    7. Why was Anakin in so many senior Council meetings if he was not on the Council?
    8. Why did they bring back Maul?? At least show him in flashbacks prior to his death in TPM??
    9. Why did we not see the political acumen of Dooku that we saw in AOTC with CIS victories that were genuine and not only purely evil Dooku such as the whole banking crisis arc?
    10. Why was the carbon freezing to get to the Separatist prison not an extremely dangerous prototype of something that was work in progress so that it was only perfected by the time of ESB?
    11. Could we not see more Jedi involvement and sacrifices like that of Ima Gun Di? Also more plots like the Mon Calamari episodes or stand-offs like the red trooper on the Banking clan world or Commando Gregor?
    12. Could we not see more Aayla Secura and the hot Pandoran Senator??
    13. Couldn't we see more central characters in epsodes, given the vastness of the Star Wars Universe and infinite potential of the Clone Wars period? What I mean is not just Anakin, Obi Wan, Asoka, but say other Jedi or Senators?
    14. The whole Order 66 chip nonsense really messed up and cheapened the importance and feeling of the betrayal of the Jedi in ROTS. It was meant to be an order from the CIC which clones would obey unswervingly owing to their attributes described in AOTC ("they will obey any order without question"). The CW seems to cheapen this and makes the Jedi look downright incompetent. It would have been better to have discovered some type of flash training and an obscure contigency order in the handbook and have someone else look into this. Something along the lines of the Intelligence agent in Labrynth of Evil.
    15. Could we not see more Clone Commandos?
    16. Rather than trying to humanize all the clones, why not just a few and the majority are just like the battle droids - they follow orders and look serious like in AOTC? It would be better to have a highly disciplined force (similar to the Stormtroopers, but under the control of their ethical Jedi commanders) which the Jedi are worried about with just a few key clone commanders who have a personality.
    17. Wasn't Cad Bane's escape a little convenient from Windu, etc? Why not send in a probe droid?
    18. Could we have seen more of the Jedi being at odds with Palpatine or at least some Senators concerned at his power?
    19. Could we have maybe seen some secret supply runs/episodes concerning the Death Star?
    20. Occasionally the space battles are inconsistent. Sometimes one Venator can take on several CIS ships, sometimes one CIS ship can take on several Republic vessels. Why not just have massive space battles? After all this is about two vastly infinite fleets/armies versus each other is it not?
    21. Could we see a battle from the point of view of the CIS where the Republic is invading?
    22. Does no one ask how Padme receives a message to end up being in the middle of a battle against the Malveolence? No one suspects Palpatine??
    These are just some, what do you think?

Mod EDIT: We already have a plot hole thread, believe it or not, and it's a bit more positive than this one too. Here- http://boards.theforce.net/threads/the-clone-wars-plot-holes-thread.50018575/ :)

2. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Feel free to suggest any more than these 22 points!!

Also to clarify 22. it is Palpatine who suggests Padme go there alone?

3. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Sigh, now i'm going to have to state my opinion on all 22 points here :/

1. We see plenty of Obi-Wan/Anakin friendship. Throughout the whole show they are constantly messing with each other and just acting like friends. It does seem weird that he is a Knight, when he was actually given the rank in RotS, but it fits well with the show, because you know, Ahsoka.
    2. Obi-Wan and Anakin battle other villains all the time, and there have been other people to battle Dooku throughout the show.
    3. That's just how Anakin is, and that's the point. But trust me, he does respect the other Jedi masters. I'd recommend watching the Geonosis arc.
    4. For this one you make a point, the Senate should of been guarded better, i'm not sure why it was not. I think the best answer we can come up with there is: Story. Or maybe it was just to show Cad Bane meant business.
    5. Well i'm not going to lie, the CIS are pretty evil. Most of their leaders were corrupt, and that's just how things were. Count Dooku was just good at hiding it. I'd recommend watching the episode "Heroes on Both Sides". It shows a "good" side of the CIS.
    6. Well that wouldn't be any fun, would it? The writers are not always going to write what makes the most sense, they want things to be fun to watch.
    7. He was the Chosen One, and the council knew that. The only times he was there was when he was assigned that mission, which happened to be a lot of the time.
    8. Because they can. I mean why not? A lot of people enjoyed his return, including me.
    9. Because screw politics.
    10. Because the galaxy wasn't just born? I'm sure that had been around for a while. And i'm also sure it was Anakin's idea to try it :p
    11/12. Okay now you are just asking for characters you want to see more of. They have so many characters in the show, they can't do everything. And the Clone Wars was canceled, so you never know what they had in store.
    13. The Clone Wars has plenty of that, have you even watched the whole show? You have to remember Anakin, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka, and Rex are the main characters.
    14. That one is your opinion, I thought the way they did it was excellent. The Clones were loyal soldiers that served under the Jedi, and lots of the Jedi and Clones became friends. It makes it seem more tragic that they were forced to kill their commanders and friends.
    15. We could of, but we didn't.
    16. But the Jedi wanted the Clones to have a personality. And like I said earlier, it makes Order 66 seem more tragic.
    17. I honestly don't even remember what episode this is from :/
    18. I think we could of, but we did see a lot of Yoda/Palpatine conflict.
    19. Cough "Rebels" Cough
    20. Story Story Story.
    21. As mentioned earlier, watch the episode "Heroes on Both Sides".
    22. Why should they suspect Palpatine? He has his sources as well, and this was early in the Clone Wars, before things became more tense between him and the Jedi.

Whew, that was fun. These are just my opinions regarding your opinions.

J7Luke likes this.
  4. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Lol good stuff!!

1. I guess, but what I meant was that it would be nice to see the events preceding Obi Wan becoming a member of the Council and Anakin being made a Knight. It would be good to see more of this duo working together than just Anakin, given that this is meant to be an epic friendship.
    2. But as in other Jedi battling Dooku and Grievous. It makes the encounters in ROTS more unique, rather than an every day kind of event. As in have Jedi confront Grievous, and some get close, some fail and die, etc. Don't have the main characters from each side versus each other constantly. This is a galaxy of quadrillions. I don't mean Nightsisters or Ventress or Dooku versus a bounty hunter (unless they were contracted by the Jedi or Republic - now there's a good episode!)
    3. Yeah there's more respect in the Geonosis arc, but whilst he is a great Jedi, he does seem to have a lot of prominence with the Council it makes his rage at them out of place in ROTS.
    4. Agreed. I mean they could still have had Cad Bane meaning business but have more guards. Also the Senate, the seat of Galactic government for thousands of star systems, seems almost desolate. I mean they could have adjusted the story slightly so that one part of it was taken, and when one rescue team tries to go in Bane has booby trapped it or diverted them to thinking he is in another part. I don't get the lack of Jedi sensing trouble or when troops are sent, very few are and not a single Jedi?
    5. Yes the bulk of the leadership is for sure. So are people like Tarkin. But what I mean is, rather than every battle being about Palpatine's evil plan or he and Dooku being purely evil, have some reasoning for a planet fighting the Republic as shown in AOTC and hinted at in Heroes on Both Sides. Battle droids follow orders of their commanders, so just like you have bad people like Tarkin, have good people on the CIS side who are not evil, but are very clever commanders who outwit their Jedi and clone opponents for victory. This is meant to be the largest conflict in recent times.
    6. Agreed. But maybe there's a separate planetary deflector shield that is hinted in the story to explain it instead?
    7-10 : Ok opinion I guess.
    11. But I mean more Jedi other than the main ones to show the Order in general.
    13. In terms of personality, still, it should be exception rather than norm or only under Jedi who encourage it.
    Lol on Rebels, that is true true.

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    For 21, try the Ryloth trilogy.

6. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    darskpine10, Wouldn't the Ryloth Arc be more "we do not want either of you on our planet." than Pro-CIS.

7. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I agree completely with number 5. I feel like they did a bad job representing the CIS. It was too evil. I think Dooku is portrayed as being much more evil than he should have been. Being an ex-Jedi political idealist, I find it hard to believe he would give himself so wholeheartedly to the Dark Side, and being evil. As it was portrayed in the show, it seemed like the CIS war effort was being openly run as a Sith operation. Which if that was really the case I doubt it would have so much public support.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  8. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Dooku is a Sith Lord, cat was out've the bag by AOTC. He's in it for power and to shape the galaxy accordingly, with him there is nothing left of human self he's just consumed completely unlike even Vader and unlike Vader was not joining the Sith completely out've self interests but to save Padme and his unborn children. Dooku was likely amoral as a Jedi but the Jedi did not see it as the Jedi were full of hubris including Yoda who trained Dooku. But someone like Palpatine could see it and capitalize on such person which eventually he did. The CIS were controlled by all greedy and murderous criminals hiding behind the aura of legitimacy government and corporations. They were always hostile and murderous, most likely by nature before Sidious came into contact with them. The fear of the Jedi was often enough to keep people inline with the Republic that was becoming more and more lost since TPM and earlier even.

9. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Thanks for letting me know, I was just about to post a leaked Episode VII plot synopsis in this Clone Wars thread. [face_relieved]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.