main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Clone Wars was back

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jul 19, 2018.

1. Fallen Jedi Master

Fallen Jedi Master Jedi Master star 4

Apr 13, 2017
    i am happy the vong are not canon and i would be even more happy if they froget the episode they were ment to appear in

chris1982 likes this.
  2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Weren't the Vong supposed to appear in the Thrawn arc? If so, we could be getting that story in Thrawn Alliances.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  3. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    I'd love the Vong to appear. They wouldn't have to specify they're absent from the Force, so they could be a nod to Legends for those that loved them, without being offensive to those that didn't. It is possible to have the best of both worlds in that type of situation.

DarthJaceus likes this.
  4. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I get what you're saying, but I think there is some substance to what Fallen Jedi Master said. Filoni was a lot more respectful to the EU than he's given credit for --- he kept Ventress's backstory mostly intact, including Ky Narec, and didn't he once say that his original pitch for the Ryloth arc took the whole no-rotation thing into account but then that was vetoed? among other examples. If this season mines the EU for details and then presents them in a new way, we'll be saying "Ah, cool, a slightly different take on Nar Shaadaa" instead of angrily yelling "Why would they change Nar Shaadaa?!" like we were from '08 to '013.

People like Filoni and Leland won't have to worry about appeasing C-canon at all, or about keeping things relatively smooth between the show and decades worth of the EU. Legends will literally be nothing more than a mine of ideas. You could argue that that's what it basically was for the first six seasons anyway, but Coop's Vong example is, I think, a good one. Filoni knew the EU was there. He wasn't a malicious bulldozer of it. And now, there's nothing to bulldoze. ... Except the new EU, I guess. Heh, I wonder if this show is going to bulldoze over the new EU.

5. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Remember when TCW was the thing ruining Star Wars. I do.

Before that, the PT ruined tons of childhoods. Lol.

The LOTF years.

Yadda, yadda.

So silly. Lots of things have taken that role through the years. Now it's Disney. And TCW is a return to SW "roots."

An interesting trend.

What will be the the thing that ruins SW tomorrow?

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

6. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    i know it is really. Its funny the people who were saying TCWs to be the one that ruin star wars now are the ones that said disney ruined it

7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Resistance?

Stymi likes this.
  8. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999

Not sure that's quite true.

From what I've seen on Youtube channels, a lot of the people who liked the Clone Wars hate TLJ.

People who hated the Clone Wars originally, still hate it, and now hate TLJ and in general, just tend to hate Star Wars even more. I notice that on a few discord channels I've visited.

But those kind of fans tend to just like the Tech side of Star Wars anyway and would be perfectly happy with a story about a Star Destroyer BDZing planets every week.

I myself like story arcs within the Clone Wars even though I did not like the series as a whole.

Though I enjoy it more than TLJ. Also, Filoni by himself, with Rebels, did a good job and I look forward to seeing how he will do with Clone Wars. I'm looking for tight story arcs and not just stand alone episodes.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  9. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Oh, but it is. Anyone remember the hate that Ahsoka had for a while? And how ticked people were that it didn't conform to the Microseries timeline? There was a LOT of hate for The Clone Wars at the start. It's hard to see in retrospect, but it was there.

BigAl6ft6 and Stymi like this.
  10. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah but the claim is that people who originally said the Clone Wars sucked are now saying it's good and TLJ sucked. First, Clone Wars seems to have a big following amongst youtube reviewers at least. Not sure how many of them originally hated clone wars and now switched. as for fans in general, such as ones on this board, I cannot go through each and every post and verify that claim.

What's more likely, is those fans which were very vocal about their not liking the Clone Wars moved on, leaving behind fans who stuck around and liked the Clone Wars but who now don't like TLJ. Fan communities are like bacteria exposed to a powerful disinfectants over the years, allele frequency is constantly changing. Some are resistant to the various disinfectants.

I know for myself I did not like the Clone Wars in the past for the following:
    1.It ignored already good EU clone Wars.

2. The stories were typically sub par and annoying in annoying stand alone format which for 3 seasons made everything feel unconnected.

3. Not only did it start ignoring details of continuity, then it started ignoring major details.

In the modern day, EU is currently dead so 1 and 3 are now non issues for me. I still don't like the Clone Wars because for the most part, IMO, it's mediocre. It has a few good story arcs(even a few really good ones for a toon) in the later seasons. The good ones tend to tie in with Star Wars: Rebels which has a nice consistent story arc where, for the most part, each episode contributes to an overall story. Because those Clone Wars story arcs provide backstory for Rebels, they are worth watching.

I am interested in seeing this final incarnation of Clone Wars because GL's influence is gone and so the stand alone stories may disappear and we may get a tight story arc like we did with Rebels.

Finally, even though I dislike Clone Wars and feel it did ultimately contribute to the demise of the EU( even before the disney takeover) I still think it's better than TLJ.

11. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    The claim is that the fandom has some new thing that "Ruined Star Wars" every few years. Clone Wars and The Last Jedi are just examples of that.

Good for you. You want a medal or something?

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Ashoka and Clone Wars have gone from controversial to pretty much now....The most unifying thing in Star Wars.

I mean I saw Star Wars twitter when the show was announced to come back and boy do I tell yuh I haven't seen people more unified about a Star Wars things in YEARS.

Probably that's because of how the Star Wars fandom is organized these days, many prominent voices grew up with TCW and I know a lot of people who got into Star Wars via TCW. Heck I hear people say it's probably the most pure Star Wars thing ever....and being the last GL influenced thing there is that extra bonus.

So i guess time does change perspective on things. But then again who knows how many people really did like Season 1 of TCW and the movie ....I tend to take internet forums and what not with a grain of salt.

In a lot of ways the Clone Wars generation are at the for front of fandom...If that makes any sense.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2018
  13. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    I was responding to this comment:i know it is really. Its funny the people who were saying TCWs to be the one that ruin star wars now are the ones that said disney ruined it.

Though I will admit I read something in the comment that wasn't explicitly stated and may not have been intended by the authort...namely the idea that those who said Clone Wars would kill Star Wars are now saying it it will save it and the TLJ killed Star Wars.

In context to replying to the aforementioned comment, and my own misreading of the comment Just saying I'm pretty consistent on the fact that I still dislike the Clone Wars.

However, if you are offering a medal I'll take it. Especially if it's made of gold.

However, if failing that, I will take one made of chocolate.

Anything other than those two things....no.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  14. Fallen Jedi Master

Apr 13, 2017
    i was talking about the fact of star wars fans as a whole seem to go to the next new star wars materal and complane that this ruin star wars

Not saying all fans are like that

15. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    Yeah sorry about that. Misread what you wrote.

16. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm a college student, so I can only afford a chocolate one D:

[​IMG]

Nom von Anor and Matthew Trias like this.
  17. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm not sure how this is a problem.....Also a lot of the episode were in development when George was still around, so they'll all have George's influence in some way. Heck many of the people love and I myself enjoy do come from Lucas, it's sorta his influence that made the show what it is and why people love it.

18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I was reading this forum 10 years ago when the show began (2 years before I was even a member), so I'll say this much...

1. The show had a very medicore reception at first, and honestly, it wasn't surprising to see why. Season 1 was by no means terrible, but it did lack a degree of the sophistication the PT EU of the era had. The Republic comics run set in the era was quite grim, and I still regard them fondly, and although the microseries wasn't really all that different (they're both equally absurd in only very slightly different ways), it had a strong cult following. Frankly, up to that point, all the Clone Wars EU material we got between II and III was fairly consistently strong in quality (though Karen Traviss' work was rather controversial among many, but beloved by others) and really showed the horrors of this war.

2. Suddenly, this new kids show comes along and Anakin gets this little snip we've never heard of before. She was actually less annoying on screen than I expected her to be in season 1, but I was initially quite skeptical before I saw the film, and she was frequently viewed as a blatant mary-sue at first. Perception of her began to change around season 3, however, as did the show's perception as a whole.

3. And then of course, this thing really did blatantly steamroll over what had at that point been a very tightly packed EU era, one of the most well organized ones in the entire timeline in fact. T-Canon became a thing, George's direct involvement meant he could pretty much change things on a whim, and we had a multi-hundred page thread in this exact forum arguing about it regularly. It was 'supposed' to be sorted out by the time the show ended, but that never happened due to obvious events.

All of these issues led to a lot of polarized views of the show and a lot of complaints in this corner of the fandom throughout the entire run. I in essence became one of its defenders, but all the while being aware of the flaws/counter arguments. I found myself going back and forth between the TV forum and here regularly, but eventually came to feel much more settled in this corner of the web due to my 'own' EU familiarity (and I always felt that Lit was the forum which ultimately did know this franchise best. Still do so now).

Interestingly, Rebels had nearly the opposite reception due to its reverse role in 'preserving' EU elements rather than steamrolling them (and ironically, the show would've fit in the old EU timeline surprisingly well for much of its run, save maybe the finale with Thrawn). Rebels also undoubtedly had much stronger and more consistent character writing than TCW, but I found it to still be a bit more dull as a whole, while TCW was much more ambitious and fits more in line with Lucas' visionary nature.

Regardless, it will be nice to see the series get concluded so we can have all (11?) seasons of this saga to view and lead us into Rogue One/Ep IV.

19. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

7 for TCW 4 for Rebels....So 11 Total so yes.

Also that last point pretty much sums up my feelings about Rebels and Clone Wars....I like Rebels but I'll always respect Clone Wars more as the aurterist TV Show. IDK but i always have this like weird respect for a creator who has the "I'll do whatever I want" mentality....Not saying it's right or anything but i can't help but somewhat respect it to some degrees.

20. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I enjoyed the show even from the beginning. Ironically, this was actually because of my love of the existing era material. When I saw the film, for example, I enjoyed seeing Kenobi and Ventress taunt each other ("My darling") since they had such a weird but interesting relationship in the EU Republic series.

I still saw immediate flaws, and found the complaints to be somewhat valid, but I was very happy to have George onboard for season 2, and felt that Filoni and his crew of writers were the perfect vehicle to filter and give us George's ideas while still grounding them (something the PT itself needed more of). I immediately enjoyed the way the clones were quickly made to be unique individuals (similar to what Traviss was doing, but with more visual variety), as this was only hinted at vaguely in Ep III and not seen in EP II at all (even the microseries kept them more drone like, though it made them look very cool in combat).

Ashoka was not my favorite element, as I preferred episodes where Kenobi/Anakin were partners alone and we got to see more of their banter, but I didn't hate her by any means. We also got a much better look at how the GAR would evolve to be the Imperial Military from a tech/aesthetic POV too, which was nice.

And most importantly, Anakin was portrayed as the flawed by great heroic figure hinted at in Kenobi's speech in episode IV. I never hated Hayden either, but Matt's portrayal of Anakin as a character/concept was flawless and really can be seen as his definitive version. Heroic, headstrong, generally a decent person, witty, and yet just dark enough to remind us of what he would become. With this version of Anakin, you really see that transition that so many audience members may have missed in the PT itself, a vital missing link.

By the time we got to the second half of season 3, the show's budget had skyrocketed and now it looked visually stunning/cinematic in scope in many cases. Stories began to take on more complex arcs, and inter season continuity/story arcs began to really come together. By seasons 5-6, it equals the splendor of the rest of the films, with the microseries inspired character art being the only thing that still held it back for me. Lucas bankrolling every episode at a minimum of 1 million$ a pop made this possible.

The show is still flawed, with much of it still not being as good as some of the canon it replaced, but when it 'was' good, it was very good in the end to me.

21. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I liked Seasons 1 and 2 (and the film) better than anything that came after. I know I'm in the minority here, but... they were fun. And they weren't trying to be anything more than what they were. Then Seasons 3 and 4 were overambitious and did dumb things like the Father/Daughter/Son planet and Darth Maul returning, and boring four-episode arcs like the Umbara one that thought they were getting into deep philosophy but in reality were awkwardly fumbling it and looking bad as a result. And if you liked meandering messes of four-episode arcs that had no business being four-episode arcs, hey, Season 5 was made especially for you.

Episodes like the Malevolence arc from Season 1 remain my favourites, while the ones that still cause me to shake my head and laugh tend to come from the later seasons. With the exception of that Season 4 Artoo/Threepio Droids homage duology. That was class. The lack of any sort of progression in the war, and no view toward any kind of resolution, started to become grating in the later seasons, too.

I probably like the original TCW film more than most on this forum. It was a fun adventure that didn't try to fool itself by asserting more importance or sophistication than it deserved (the plot was about hyperspace routes through Hutt Space), and Anakin's mid-Clone Wars characterization was spot-on with existing EU at the time. It felt like a piece of EU on the big screen in the best possible way. As Hedge points out, the "My Darling" line made it seem like the writers had been paying attention.

Basically... it was a kids' show that worked better when it realized it was a kids' show. When it tried to overachieve, it suffered.

22. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    IDK if this has been pointed out already but seems like one of the arcs is the Bad Batch arc. The shot of the gunship flying in on Anaxes and Anakin, Rex and Hubter talking is directly lifted from the unfinished episode A Distant Echo. Only difference is that it there's no looking out on Venators in that sequence

23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    They're also standing in a different order, and notably not talking like they are in the animatic.

This leads to 2 possibilities. One is that they added this Venator pan-up specifically for the trailer, and that part won't be in the released episode. On the other hand, it could indicate that the panning intro shot has been repurposed for a different arc, which happens to be set on Anaxes.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I didn't care for the first season too much but everything beyond that was fantastic...maybe a little too fantastic as it didn't allow for proper closure. But alas, its coming and I am thrilled.

25. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999

I'll take it.
    *yum yum yum yum*
    (college student...I know your pain)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    Outsourced likes this.