The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DookusBrother Jedi Knight

star 1
    I suppose I should have included one of these: ;)

General Kenobi, sir, no disrespect intended to the board. ;)

2. SuperPersch Force Ghost

star 4
    <---Is incredibly excited about this score. :D
  3. DarthPack Jedi Knight

GK edit: Sorry, you can't talk about piracy here.
  4. TheTelmarine Jedi Knight

star 1
  5. TheTelmarine Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sorry. ;)
  6. DarthPack Jedi Knight

7. ChimealHeltei Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow, got the Score now (downloaded from Napster with my flatrate there).

Don't expect to much references of known themes!

Not sure about this...

Really just the first three notes, after that it goes on another way... Perhaps this should hint the Force Theme. Also at the end of "Fight To The End", just before the "End Credits", we finally got to here the Force Theme. It's nicely done, you first here that theme, that starts like the Force Theme, then you have it itself.

I'm still sure this track is influenced by "Luke and Leia". Someone else?

Not everything: "Meet Ahsoka" reminds me of "Jar Jar's Introduction".

It's really a fascinating score! You have such a variety of different styles and instruments: classical symphonic orchestra on one hand, rock/pop music instruments on the other. Then ethnic style and instruments (from different parts of the world), synthesizer and Jazz parts. And it's sometimes not just modern film music, but sounds like really modern classical music (outside the movie world) with some blue notes in it.

What I really miss is some more hints of the classical themes... Sometimes it just sounds like Kiner really avoids using JW's themes, perhaps out of copyright issues (?)... or he just avoids those theme because he wants to create somethingnew and not rely on JW's theme and run after them...
  8. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    It's pretty mediocre stuff. I really like "Fight to the End" and some moments here and there, but most of the music is as generic as it comes.

For those interested in the Williams themes, "Sneaking Under the Shield" is based on the "Return to Naboo" motif and "Battle of Teth" references "Duel of the Fates." "Fight to the End" incorporates Vader's theme and, of course, the Force theme. And that does sound like "Lando's Palace" in "Admiral Yularen."
  9. ChimealHeltei Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I noticed some more:

You have "The Republic Pilots Take Off Into Space" (from TPM UE) and "Jango's Escape" in "Ziro Surrounded".

Then there's Jar Jar's Theme in "Meet Ahsoka".

And there's more than one minor hint in "Destroying The Shield"... just can't tell, what it is exactly.
  10. ChimealHeltei Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Can you tell me, where this is? Didn't notice anything...
  11. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    Not a bad score -- although poor in comparison to... well, pretty much every other film and EU score we've had. It's interesting at least to hear some decidedly non-SW music in the midst of it all, but I was hoping for a lot more usage of established themes. No Emperor's Theme? Across the Stars? No Republic or CIS themes? Most of it is very generic, and the electric guitar is a bit iffy (although it presumably fits what The Clone Wars is probably going to turn out like).

Still, it was great to hear the Force Theme at the end of "Fight to the End" -- I only wish there were similar moments elsewhere) -- and I quite like the Main Title variant. The arrangement actually sounds very familiar, but I can't pin it down.
  12. mandalore15 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Listening to this score was almost like listening to my iPod on shuffle. It's Star Wars meets Gladiator meets Battlestar Galactica meets the Bourne movies (with some swing music thrown in completely out of nowhere). However, I don't dislike the score at all. It's growing on me. I've listened to it three times all the way through and I'm enjoying it.

I was surprised by the amount of orchestra that we get. I was originally hoping for a lush orchestral score for this movie, and many tracks deliver exactly what I was hoping for. I have always found other composers interpretations of Williams Star Wars music to be very interesting, in particular Shadows of the Empire and the KOTOR soundtracks (and I'm dying to hear a copy of the Force Unleashed Promo CD). I had assumed from the clips of The Clone Wars that I heard we would be getting a heavy synth/rock type of score. And while that particular music is present, it doesn't overwhelm the album. But as most of you have noted, Williams doesn't show up that often and that is kind of a shame. I'm hoping that the actual film will incorporate more of John Williams music than the album does. I believe that will probably be the case. There isn't a track on the album that exceeds 3 or 4 minutes, so just doing the math you know there is probably at least 30 to 40 minutes of music that didn't make it onto the album.

I'm not sure what size orchestra Kiner was working with for the film, but I hope they are able to retain that large sound for the weekly series. The fact is, nothing is going to be John Williams. We had him for 6 great scores over a 30 year period, and we are very lucky to have had that. Star Wars is going to continue without him, and we can hope that the people entrusted with this musical legacy have the respect to preserve what is great while taking things in new directions. I'm looking forward to that musical journey. And hey, you never know what's going to happen with the live action show. Williams DID score Spielberg's episodes of Amazing Stories!
  13. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    I believe the film's orchestra was around 70 musicians and the show's orchestra is around 30.
  14. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    Review by Filmtracks.

http://filmtracks.com/titles/clone_wars.html

15. ChimealHeltei Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Way too negative this review IMO is...
  16. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    Yeah, Clemmensen can be pretty negative and biased. I can't say on this particular review, however, since I haven't heard the soundtrack yet.
  17. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I'm not even gonna read that - 3 huge paragraphs in white on black? yeah, no :p

I'm surprised it's more orchestral than the preview clips had us believe. I wouldn't have minded if it was a little more exotic, source music aside (if it is indeed source music [face_worried]). Still, yeah, it's clearly not Williams and Lando in Yularen (together with a few notes towards the end I can't place...), one rendition of the Force Theme (in a manner that we've heard before, pity) and a few very minor hints isn't nearly enough, but it's a very nice listen and probably fits very well with the movie - which itself will be a slightly different take on SW, from what I've read. We'll see.
    I like it better than KotOR, which really only has 3 tracks that are actually good.

What's so generic about it, anyway?
  18. ChimealHeltei Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's "Mos Eisley Spaceport". ;)
  19. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    arrgh, and this just a few days after I heard it all the time in Lego SW2 :oops:
  20. rodan70 Jedi Master

star 4
    the Soundtrack wasn't too bad. Did hear Lando's theme in track 2 but that was it. I'd give is 2 stars.
  21. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'm listening to it right now and it's not bad. I'm very surprised at the amount of variety in the score. It's got a little bit of everything. It's reminds me of David Arnold and how he reworked the John Barry sound with James Bond.

22. rodan70 Jedi Master

star 4
    My big thing is that the music of the Star Wars Movies is the big foundation of making the movie enjoyable for me. John Williams' themes and score was the biggest and defining part of ALL of the star Wars movies. Maybe I'm crazy, but I fel that The Clone Wars is starting the Championship game with it's biggest and best player out for the season.
  23. TheTelmarine Jedi Knight

star 1
    Could you please tell me exactly when in the tracks those JW themes are used? I'm curious to hear how they're used.
  24. DarthMak Chosen One

star 5
    I agree. After listening to the score my enthusiasm for the movie isn't as high as it was before.

Yoda's in this movie right? Because I didn't even hear a hint of his theme.
  25. rodan70 Jedi Master

star 4

Not really a hint of ANY of John Williams themes. Which SUCKS. All of the comercials have Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes and NOTHING in the movie..... SAD. Shadows of the Empire is a much better soundtrack.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.