The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. SaberJedi2 Force Ghost

star 4
    That was pretty discouraging. There wasn't a single song from the soundtrack played during the trailers that I've seen. It's all been DOF and BotH like you said and those songs aren't on the soundtrack. We have only 30 seconds or so of JW-like score, The Force Theme at the end of Fight to the End. I don't mind the new take on the main theme, but it sounds a lot like the soundtrack from the movie Troy. It's actually disappointing for me.
  2. TheTelmarine Jedi Knight

star 1
    Have you seen the movie? How do you know that little snippets of Williams' score aren't used in the film?
  3. rodan70 FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    I don't know, but I'm not holding my breath, either.
  4. TheTelmarine Jedi Knight

star 1
    Click here for my review of the soundtrack! :)
  5. Robi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    I really enjoyed the soundtrack. And yes, a couple of the original themes by Williams is in there.
  6. TheTelmarine Jedi Knight

star 1
    But just a couple. I really wish Kiner would have used more. :rolleyes:
  7. Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus

star 8
    I didn't mind the score that much, except for the main title and the credits. That was painful.
  8. Trentman359 Jedi Knight

star 2
    The score made no impact on me at all.
  9. WedgeWalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    Having heard the score and watched the film, I must say, I like it a lot.

It's definitely different, but then again so is the TCW movie.

And yet, it still feels like Star Wars to me, as does the movie.

I would have liked more quotes from Williams' themes as well. But I was thinking, how often does Williams quote from Williams in any particular SW score...especially the prequels? For example, someone commented how Yoda is in TCW and yet his theme is nowhere to be found in the score. But Yoda was all over the prequels and how many times did we hear his theme in those three scores? Twice, wasn't it? (At the end of TPM when he's talking with Obi-Wan, and in RotS when he leaves Kashyyyk.)

So although I personally love hearing quotes of the various themes, the fact that that hasn't been happening recently is a criticism that could be made at Williams himself, as well as Kiner.

Still wouldn't have minded to hear some though.
  10. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, Williams didn't leave many holes thematically. Yoda's theme is heard once in The Phantom Menace, twice in Attack of the Clones and twice in Revenge of the Sith. It's not much, but it's something. The Emperor's theme was also used consistently.
  11. rodan70 FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4

I Agree completely. Anything from the Trailers would have been fine for me.
  12. TheTelmarine Jedi Knight

star 1
    Is it just me, or are Kiner's new motifs for The Clone Wars sort of difficult to make out? Like, I know Ahsoka's theme; hers is easy, but the others... Is there a theme for Anakin in TCW? For Obi-Wan? Loathsom? I am hearing bits and pieces of music which repeat themselves throughout the score, but nothing stands out enough for me to make connections with actual characters (save for Ahsoka). I find this somewhat odd, as I'm big into film scores, and am usually quite good at noting motifs, but with this score, it's just kind of muddy. Either my ears are ceasing to work correctly, Kiner's themes are terrible, or his themes are merely not used enough throughout the work to establish connections with their associated characters, places, ideas, etc. Which is it? And, if any of you are able to pick out the themes, could you please tell me what they are, for whom, and where on the OST I can find them? I'm very curious... [face_thinking]
  13. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    They're just generic, indistinct motives.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I absolutely hated the score for some sections. The electric guitar rocking stuff was totally out of place and un Star Wars. Also the Battlestar Galactica sounding stuff was distracting. They should have stuck with a primarily orchestral score for the whole thing instead of trying to be trendy.
  15. rodan70 FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep VIP
    star 4
    I love Soundtracks and Movie scores, even alot of the Akira Ifukube and Masaru Sato Godzilla scores. I love themes you can identify a character by. There is none this in this score. Very Generic, Made to be used over SEVERAL episodes of Clone Wars
  16. TheTelmarine Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, there's at least Ahsoka's theme... [face_whistling] ;)
  17. TheTelmarine Jedi Knight

star 1
    You sure about that? I keep hearing some recurring themes...
  18. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    I said indistinct, not inexistant. ;)
  19. WedgeWalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    I heard in an interview with Kiner where he said that he's recorded over 400 minutes of music so far. I'm pretty sure the score to TCW isn't like, say, the music from the old Transformers cartoon (a few cues, reused all the time).

I personally don't mind the expansion of Star Wars' musical vocabulary in TCW. I absolutely love Williams' scores. But I also don't have a problem with some new twists added.

And if you think about it, Williams himself was already expanding the vocabulary: choir used a teensy bit in RotJ, but then used frequently in the prequels; the source music in TPM on Tatooine; the electric guitar in the album version of AotC; the almost synth-like female voice in the pre-Anakin's turn scene in RotS.

This could simply be seen as a continuation of that.
  20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    But he really dropped the ball on using the Skywalker March in the prequels. I know people have said "It's Luke's theme, and Luke's not in the prequels," but that's not true. It's the general 'heroic' theme for the entire saga, and it's severely under-utilized in the prequels. There are plenty of places where the action got a Force or Republic theme that would have been much better suited by an iteration of the main title.
  21. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    Actually, that is true. It really is Luke's Theme, but your criticism is still valid. After all, Williams has abandoned thematic continuity before such as using Leia's Theme when Obi-Wan dies.
  22. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    This was done for a good reason, though: to give Leia's theme a prominent part in the score. If it wasn't for "Obi-Wan's Death," Leia's theme would have faded away after the first half of the score and not received the romantic flourish it deserved (it sure didn't get one in the sequels).
  23. Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Master

star 3
    That still doesn't change the fact that thematically it's at odds with what happens in that particular scene. I think it works brilliantly and would never change it. Therefore, the argument can be made that the main title/Luke's Theme would have worked just as well in the prequels.
  24. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    I must admit, I didn't know Jabba's Palace was in China*, and unfortunately the thing isn't very hummable, but I don't get what's wrong with it, considering what exactly it's the score for. I'm just glad it's not simply something entirely un-new like KotOR. That would be bland and generic.

edit: *I didn't find a DeLorean during the Cliff-scaling, either :p
  25. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you kidding? That's a great score.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.