main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    lol.

Yeah, I just don't get very much out of it. It doesn't evoke very much for me, which the rest of SW music does.

That being said, I can't remember very much out of the CW soundtrack either, although I haven't gotten the soundtrack by itself just yet.

2. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    In the Clone Wars preview special that aired on Cartoon Network the other day, a few little clips of scenes with Yoda were shown. In one of them, Yoda's theme (and a new arrangement of it at that) was clearly heard.

That's encouraging.

3. ChimealHeltei

ChimealHeltei Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    So, we now got the first ever full mention of Yoda's Theme in the first episode since RotJ. So please don't say anything more about Kiner not having studied JW's scores...

Besides we have the alternative Grievous Theme (from Clone Wars animated series) in the second episode.

4. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Excellent use of Yoda's Theme -- and a new version as well. Always great to hear, and I'm glad Kliner chose the right moments, rather than simply have the theme follow Yoda through the entire episode. The score for the first two episodes appears, on a casual first listen, to be more subtle than the film; the Force Theme rises out of the mix at several points in the second episode, as well as a nice finale version. I was hoping for the scene with Dooku reporting back to Sidious, if only to find out whether Kliner is going to use the Emperor's Theme.

5. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I loved that rendition towards the end. That was like "General Yoda's theme". It almost sounded... marchy... or at least fanfary... ish... sort of :p You know what I mean

and there's a neat bit of original music, too, when the Secret Weapon Ship approaches the Twilight in the second episode.

6. TCW_Fan

TCW_Fan Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2008
    Really?! Where?

7. ChimealHeltei

Feb 13, 2001
    Just what TwiLekJedi said: when the Malevolence approaches the Twiliht in the second episode. It's more a Grievous motif than a theme though... It's from the Clone Wars animated episode, when Grievous fights the Jedi.

8. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    is that what it is? Didn't make the connection. 2D sounded much... simpler.

9. ChimealHeltei

Feb 13, 2001
    It's not really the same notes, but it's reminiscent of the motif in the 2D episode IMHO.

10. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    everything always sounds like everything else to you [face_talk_hand]
    except, of course, when I say there is E.T. in Indy4[face_not_talking]

11. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    E.T.?

I heard Hook, Jurassic Park, ESB's Battle of Hoth, Superman, and a tinge of CE3K, but where do you hear E.T.? Is it on the soundtrack?

12. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    ... you're not helping

wait, Battle of Hoth?

13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Track 08 on the KotCS OST starting at about 1:39, compare to Track 05 on ESB Special Edition Disc 1 at about 05:05.

It's not full-on Hornereqsue plagiarism by any means, but still very similar to my ears.

14. Glymphid_Warlord

Glymphid_Warlord Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2008
    Saw Shadow of Malevolence last night, and I must say, Kiner's writing there is at times more in line with that of Star Trek, rather than Star Wars. But it still fits, so all is good. :)

15. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    The one motif definitely had a Wrath of Khan vibe...and given that there's a scene in a nebula in both...

16. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    Yeah, Wrath of Khan is what I thought of when I heard it. And it is interesting that both have a nebula... [face_thinking]

17. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    It sounds better on the TV show than it did on a Full- Length Movie.

18. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    Gotta agree with you, there. [face_laugh]

19. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Just watched Episode 6. The opening battle music was the battle music from Bram Stoker's Dracula, played a little differently.

20. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    I imagine the techno/electronica pieces in the latest episode aren't going to win many fans, though I didn't mind them. At least they were in keeping with the droid vibe--just so long as they're not overused in later episodes. One thing I'm not keen on is the tendancy to end episodes with The Force Theme, regardless of whether it's strictly needed or not; and especially since there's a conspicuous lack of it--or any other themes--in the rest of the episode. There are certainly several 'hero' moments that need an appropriate rendition; I would have liked to hear that Main Theme sting used for Artoo's defeat of the buzz droid in RotS used during his attempted escape from the droid hauler.

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm...not too sure on the techno/electronica pieces. I do think that they can make excellent action-scene pieces for extremely high-violence or high-intensity action sequences, but so far, The Clone Wars hasn't, and probably won't, had an action scene to equal, say, 300.

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    That was the Rebel Fanfare, actually.:-B[face_peace]

23. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    Just wanted to say, so far I've thought the music has been great.

Yes, the techno in Downfall of a Droid was really close to the line for my tastes. (Didn't mind it at all in Duel of the Droids.)

And yes, I'd like to hear a little more incorporation of classic existing themes.

But that being said, some wonderful work Kiner and his crew are doing.

24. Glymphid_Warlord

Oct 10, 2008
    Gotta love them bagpipes from last night's episode! [face_dancing]

25. Kwenn

Mar 30, 2001
    Was Jar Jar's Theme in there at all? I certainly didn't notice it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.