main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Clone Wars Movie DVD Discussion! (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Super_Battle_Droid, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    The previous WB DVD releases (Clone Wars Volumes 1&2) fit in well with the existing animated classics releases from Fox as well as with the films. Happy to see the Clone Wars movie do the same. :D

2. VentressFan01

VentressFan01 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2008
    Since I live in England I cannot buy the dvd and if it did come out now over here I would still have to wait for christmas

3. harrison13

harrison13 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2004
    i would love a youtube link to the season 1 preview on the disc

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's actually quite a good length feature- it probably wouldn't fit in a single youtube video. Regardless, it's a DVD exclusive at the moment, unless WB or LFL put it up online, so please do not request pirated/shared copies of the content, or links thereof.

5. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    back to the DVD vs. Blu-Ray discussion we were having earlier in this thread...

Has anyone else noticed that they are really highly pushing the Blu-Ray release of this movie. In fact, they are basically ignoring the standard DVD release in their ad campaign. Every commercial I've seen for this release says "buy it on Blu-Ray Tuesday." Most of the time, they've always had the, "buy it on DVD and Blu-Ray this Tuesday" in their ads.

It seems like a conscious effort to steer people away from DVD. Kind of interesting to me.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Once HDTVs become standard fare and can be found in a decent size in the $300 range, you'll see a bigger uptake in Blu-ray. Until then, people aren't going to widely shell out $1000 on a new TV, $300-500 on a blu-ray player and whatever upgrades they need to get from their cable provider to utilize an HD format. It's going to remain a luxary format until then.

7. superstardestroyer-1

May 20, 2002
    Totally agree. That's what I've been saying.

8. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    After watching the special features, I can say I'm really looking forward to seeing the Jar Jar episode "Bombad Jedi". I literally LOL at the look on his face after the incident with the ship.

Anyone know what the episode number is for this episode?

9. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    I broke down and decided to buy both Tales of Symphonia, and Clone Wars, so I picked up the Target exclusive today. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but, like everyone else, I am very happy with how the cover looks, it fits in well with the other DVDs. though I wish the side had been kept black ot fit better, but oh,well. I'm pretty happy with the comic too, the Target DVD was chepaer than Best Buy's and had a free comic with it. Quite awesome. I'll have to wait til Friday to watch it though.

For the people who watched the Season 1 preview, are there spoilers in it? I'd like to watch it, but I alwasy prefer to stay completely spoiler free before I see something.

@2ndQuest-Was your Best Buy exclusive $50? I thought about getting it, but 50 bucks is too much for just a different cover.

10. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Just picked up my Target copy! Excellent store exclusive, just as awesome the Crystal Skull DVD was. The DVD case and book are in a nice slipcover which is about as deep as a VHS tape. The free comic is a nicely put together, I like the paper they used for the cover. Can't wait to watch it! :D

11. iolo_the_bard

iolo_the_bard Jedi Master star 1

Jun 18, 2005
    There aren't any major spoilers. Its mostly just 2-ish minute montages of episodes from Season 1, with commentary thereof. You see some planets, some basic plotlines, but not really any spoilers. for example, "Jabba's son has been kidnapped, look at this sweet vertical battle" would be all you'd see if the movie was part of the montage.

12. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    I just noticed that Sam Jackson, Christopher Lee and the rest of the cast receive no mention on the box! Odd.

Also I can't wait for the episode Bombad Jedi and its bollywood influenced musical score. I never thought of it before, but zany Jar Jar comedy and Indian music are a perfect fit.

13. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    So it's basically the same as reading the preview's on the cable lisitng? Guess I'll watch it then.

14. ObiWondersWhy

ObiWondersWhy Jedi Youngling

Jul 2, 2008
    Episode 8

http://www.tv.com/star-wars-the-clone-wars/show/73668/episode.html

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It shows about 2 min of footage from each episode, but it's various clips and scenes so it seems like it cover s alot of ground, especially as they talk about the overall story for each episode over it. If your spoiler free, I'd say it gives away too much (for example, I felt like the only thing we didn't see of the Lair of Grievous episode was maybe it's final scene or two). However it does have the deleted Treadwell droid scene from Downfall of a Droid in it.

I paid $26 (the advertised sale price) for it, but I did think it was damn strange that the regular price tag said $51 on it. No freaking clue what is up with that. That's easily $15-$20 too much.

16. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I watched all of the special features last night and I'm sorry to say that I'm just a little disappointed. They give a little insight into the coming episodes, a short "clone wars voices" video and a behind the scenes of Kevin Kiner's score. I'm surprised that we didn't get to see any of the short videos of the people that are working on the Clone Wars. Not that it was a bad "extras" dvd, but not as much as I was hoping for.

17. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    I was satisfied with the extras and found the commentary to be very enjoyable! The Kevin Kiner featurette was my favorite, I didn't know his resume included Enterprise, Wing Commanger and Stargate XG-1 (found via iMDB, not the doc). I like the approach of making each planet's music based on the music of a Earth country or culture, for example the Battle of Christophsis is Nordic influenced.

I appreciated having the commentary subtitled, something I haven't seen before. It was nice to watch the film while the behind the scenes comments appeared, almost like a pop-up video.

Did anyone else notice how yellow/green the menu intro to disc 1 looked? The space background was a hazy yellow/green rather than true black.

Again, A+ to WB for having the case design fit in so well with the film DVDs. Hopefully the Season 1 set follows suit.

18. superstardestroyer-1

May 20, 2002
    I got around to watching the special features disc last night. There's some cool stuff on there like the season 1 featurette and the voices featurette. I also liked the deleted scenes. I actually kind of wish the Rancor scene had stayed in the movie.

Overall, however, I think the special features are a bit too thin to really even warrant a 2nd disc. I made it through everything that was on that disc in what felt like an hour. A lot of the extras aren't even anything new like the webisodes and the trailers. It's all stuff we've seen before. After that, the only really new stuff were the featurettes on season 1, the voices of the movie, 4 deleted scenes, and the score.

Maybe I'm asking too much, but it really felt like there was way more in the dvd releases for the prequels. I suppose you're never going to get as many special features for a animated movie as you would for a full live release, but it just feels thin.

I'm still happy with the dvd's overall though.

19. VentressFan01

VentressFan01 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2008
    Can anybody put up some pictures from The Clone Wars Dvdc Series Preview Please

20. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I was very happy with the special features.The Deleted scenes were long and good.The Rancor scene was fantastic.
    Plus the 25 min season one preview was great and showed alot of new stuff.The Jar Jar episode does look funny and Ahmed Best does Jar Jar,you can clearly tell.Plus The Lair of Grievous looks to be the best of the series.

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Same. I found the $51 sticker behind the 24.99 sticker.

22. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Well, remember how jacked up the price was for the OT Limited Editions tin? Still, $51.99 is WAY too much for a steelbook release. I'd think 29.99 retail at most.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, there had to be a typo in the BB system. They are going to be screwed after sunday and the thing goes offsale- no one is going to buy it at $51.

24. Darth_Harmon

Jul 4, 2005
    Hi all! Just picked up two copies of the Best Buy exclusive for only $102!

(joking)

25. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    Watched the special features and they're great. I loved the new episode previews. Holy crap! We are getting some amazing episodes! Lair of Grievous and The Innocents of Ryloth look fantastic. Bombad Jedi looks hilarious and Ahmed Best is doing Jar Jar and Tom Kenny's Nute Gunray is dead-on

I also enjoyed the featurette on the voice acting. I'm into that kind of stuff and it was nice seeing the actors do their craft. Seth Green is not Kit Fisto. He was shown performing and was not doing the Fisto voice, it's probably Phil Lamarr.

The music doc was great as well. I'm into music and Kevin Kiner is the perfect successor to John Williams. There goal is to try out differnt styles and to see what works and what doesn't, they don't want to just use all familar stuff.

The deleted scenes were fun, but I could see why they were cut. Also, the film looks incredible on Blu-Ray, better even thasn seeing it digitally, the colors pop and the animation stands out very nicely.

I'm just happy we got Star Wars on Blu-Ray, c'mon where's that 20-disc saga box set with everything?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.